Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

The longer this goes on, we might wish we took a UK attitude towards it. ( let it burn through the population) I really hope the quarantine in Italy works. Otherwise It will be death by a thousand cuts

By burn through the population you mean throw the old and others with medical conditions to the wolves basically?

Prepare to be inconvenienced for the next 6 months at a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Since this thread was moved it has slowed down a lot, will this gentle stroll be maintained throughout the
    evening? :)

Will explode in an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Press conferences getting later. Not a good sign.

Will stop panic buying this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Stringer Bell got that PANDEMIC!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for all the clowns who were looking forward to having a histrionic breakdown once today's numbers were announced by the HSE.

They have to wait an entire 2 hours now before they can exaggerate how dreadful the increase is and blame the government on everything...oh yeah and blame the Brits, Pub Owners, Teenagers, Donald Trump, Italy, Spain and China and racing fans ..., how awful. Honorable mention to Dub bashers, it is only a matter of time really ( I actually started Cork bashing last night, I didn't want to leave them out tbh)

Hang tough imbeciles. Your time will come ( in about 1 hour 40 mins ).
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Or yano... To make people aware...

No it's attention seeking

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Again, what's the point in guessing the f*cking numbers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Yer man on RTE news said 600 - 800 cases by the end of the week and now we have FF Stephen Donnelly says 10000 cases in 2 weeks ?????????????????????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

UK is actually +20 deaths today (saw +18 reported earlier). Total of 55 deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I predict 46 different people will post the figure here within 5 minutes of the announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can we ban posters who post without any sauces please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Coneygree wrote: »
    Stringer Bell got that PANDEMIC!

Whole place goin down Hamsterdam way yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Shn99 wrote: »
    8pm

Thanks for that. I was getting an RTÉ News Right Now alert to my phone for the last week or so around 5 to 6 and nothing this evening.
    I wondered if they’d decided to leave the daily announcement to the 9 news.
    I wonder how long they’ll keep it up anyway.
    “Day 123. 456 more cases. 201 in the east, 155 in the south 100 in the west. 15 sadly have died. Pubs and clubs and schools continue closed. That is all”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Leo pre-presser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

893bet wrote: »
    By burn through the population you mean throw the old and others with medical conditions to the wolves basically?

Prepare to be inconvenienced for the next 6 months at a minimum.

I'm not saying I support it. More that, if quarantine doesn't work. There will be no other choice but to let it burn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I've a family member here waiting on a test. He developed symptoms on Wednesday starting with a sore throat which continued into Friday, when he rang me from work to say he felt weak and dizzy. He came home early and went to bed. On Saturday he still had the sore throat but had no cough, temperature or shortness of breath (which is why I thought it's probably just a cold) he just had an additional headache. But last night he woke me up he was dripping in sweat and had a temperature of 37.6. I sent him into the spare room (where he has been isolated since) and gave him water and nurofen.
    This morning I called our GP and after three different calls she said she would arrange for a test to be carried out. We still haven't had the test completed. Does anyone know how long it takes from first contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

is_that_so wrote: »
    Leo pre-presser

Lock down possible? Is he doing a press conference?

Can't say I agree, it's better they stay off the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I would imagine the delay is down to the 36 hour turnaround on the test and when the newer requirements for testing changed. Its going to go up with out a doubt, god knows what it'll be though.

I predict 46 different people will post the figure here within 5 minutes of the announcement.

Oh goody, hopefully i'm number 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for all the clowns who were looking forward to having a histrionic breakdown once today's numbers were announced by the HSE.

They have to wait an entire 2 hours now before they can exaggerate how dreadful the increase is and blame the government on everything...oh yeah and blame the Brits, Pub Owners, Teenagers, Donald Trump, Italy, Spain and China and racing fans ..., how awful. Honorable mention to Dub bashers, it is only a matter of time really ( I actually started Cork bashing last night, I didn't want to leave them out tbh)

Hang tough imbeciles. Your time will come ( in about 1 hour 40 mins ).

What a big load of utter.... on second thoughts, never mind!

Nice username btw! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Fics wrote: »
    Significant increase from yesterday - tweets on rte! Not good at all - the next seven days are critical to prevent the spread aswell is what's being said wonder does that mean something else is being announced tonight?

Yet most still working. In offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

touts wrote: »
    They have a good well resourced health service.
    Apples and oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

i'm thinking still less than 50

Fergal Bowers said on RTÉ at 6 he expects 600-700 cases at the end of this week.

50 would be quite Conservative.

Personally I think he was setting expectations for a significant jump tonight. 70+ I would think at my own Conservative guess.

Authorities are doing a very good job at managing the crisis and shock to the public to date with little escalations in severity each time.

That is just my opinion.

Lock down possible?
    Don't know. Sub-committee update, the political side of it. Plan published.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Germany running at 0.2% mortality rate. The UK is at 3.56%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Ketchup or Mayo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this as nobody has mentioned it, but Idris may have gotten tested as he had contact with a confirmed case.

I love the range of responses to that post. Ranging from lovely to snarky to completely dickish.

Microcosm of this thread (and indeed society)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭shmeee

Ninthlife wrote: »
    20,000 have been processed since Friday. Payments issuing within 24 / 48 hrs

Dont be so quick to bash civil servants, they are affected just like everyone else and are under alot of pressure

Certain DEASP offices are turning them around in 24 hours and are dropping cheques to the Post Office to be collected the following day.

They are under huge pressure but getting through it and payments are getting out to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Vodkat wrote: »
    I've a family member here waiting on a test. He developed symptoms on Wednesday starting with a sore throat which continued into Friday, when he rang me from work to say he felt weak and dizzy. He came home early and went to bed. On Saturday he still had the sore throat but had no cough or temperature just an additional headache. But last night he woke me up he was dripping in sweat and had a temperature of 37.6. I sent him into the spare room (where he has been isolated since) and gave him water and nurofen.
    This morning I called our GP and after three different calls she said she would arrange for a test to be carried out. We still haven't had the test completed. Does anyone know how long it takes from first contact?

My friend had an ambulance call at 2am in the morning to carry out a test. He was an early test, so not sure if this is still the case but perhaps early morning tests are to help with optics.

They're under a lot of pressure now, so timeframes are affected, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Inquitus wrote: »
    No they recommended you don't go to a bar or a nightclub, they didn't mandate it or ask them to shut, you can see how effective this is going to be looking at the video above from Benidorm.
    Eh, sorry now but that was the Brits, at it again.
    Definitely don't presume that will be the reaction here. Many of the most ignorant people I know are now copping themselves on. They must have heard Paul Reid on Sunday. We've been gradually eased into these realities over the course of two weeks now. Our education system is significantly better than the UK one so I reckon even people who fall through the cracks and don't take this seriously will be bate back into line by those of us who do understand the necessity for compliance. How many cases will be an unnecessary result of people needing to be gradually mollycoddled out of their routines?

We'll have Thursday's numbers soon (4-day layover for testing as reported on Saturday's briefing). I'm not optimistic it's going to be good. I really hope a mandatory two week quarantine for those returning from abroad is being implemented, even at this late stage.
    ZX7R wrote: »
    Probably because of the fact he is a famous actor and a brit
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sophie-trudeau-idris-elba-lewis-hamilton-london-wembley-event-2020-3?amp&r=US&IR=T

Idris, Lewis Hamilton, Leona Lewis , Gwendoline Christie and Jamie Oliver were all at the same event as Trudeau's wife. Any news on whether he has it himself?

In other celebrity news, Carla Bruni was being a real nasty piece of work the other day, making nothing of the virus and coughing all over people on a red carpet.

Did anyone see the "Rugani dies after positive test" message going around? Have to say I got badly caught with that one. There have been a couple of them going around which I have clicked in a panic. I don't want anyone dying, but it's pretty obvious that a lot of people here won't wake up and take notice of this until there are high-profile deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Ketchup or Mayo?

Any sauce on this thread must be mustard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Interesting day in work. Roads were eerily quiet this morning. Our boss said no more than two in the canteen at any given time, most of us ate our lunch in our cars. Hats off to them because I thought we'd be all still joking about this like we and probably many others were 10 or so days ago.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers said on RTÉ at 6 he expects 600-700 cases at the end of this week.

Personally I think he was setting expectations for a significant jump tonight. 70+ I would think at my own Conservative guess.

Authorities are doing a very good job at managing the crisis and shock to the public to date.

That is just my opinion.

Aye but, FF Stephen Donnelly says 10000 cases in 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Idris Elba had no symptoms but got tested . I wonder why he got tested . It also leads me to believe that it is far more widespread than is known

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Talking about putting legislation in place to detain people on health grounds, sounds ominous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

I'm not saying I support it. More that, if quarantine doesn't work. There will be no other choice but to let it burn

It is going to burn through no doubt. But if we don’t try and slow it then the hospitals will be overrun and that impacts everyone who has any ailment aside from CV19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

leahyl wrote: »
    If Idris Elba wasn’t showing any symptoms how would he know to have got tested??

Because he is rich!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MD1990 wrote: »
    death rate in Germany is very low.

7,421 cases 15 dead
    touts wrote: »
    They have a good well resourced health service.

That doesn't explain the difference with France, Denmark, Netherlands. It's clearly something more specific. Maybe the test rate from early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Anything to get a Wire reference in.

Sheeeeeït

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Idris Elba had no symptoms but got tested . I wonder why he got tested . It also leads me to believe that it is far more widespread than is known

Came in contact with an infected person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

RTE News: Varadkar saying expect a 30% increase every day.

Leo says to expect 30% a day increase

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

OH was at GP today (not Covid 19 related) They said NOT to use ibuprofen as there is too much conflicting information right now. Odd as the HSE contradicted that today still don think I would chance it not enough info will stick with Paracetamol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is_that_so wrote: »
    Leo says to expect 30% a day increase

Every day.

That gets to a very high number very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

ChikiChiki wrote: »

That is just my opinion.

If they are saying 800 by the end of the week. Based on a exponential growth we are talking 250 total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    OH was at GP today (not Covid 19 related) They said NOT to use ibuprofen as there is too much conflicting information right now. Odd as the HSE contradicted that today still don think I would chance it not enough info will stick with Paracetamol.

Yes, French experts say to not use anti inflammatories both steroidal and non steroidal.

I don't even know if paracetamol is a good idea unless your temperature gets very high. Of course if you doctor told you to take it then do.

Boggles wrote: »
    Every day.

That gets to a very high number very fast.
    It does, hence that Holahan tweet earlier about the next 7 days I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For people phoning the doc - are you getting charged for the consult?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement