Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a strong sense here that there is a pretty comprehensive plan at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The longer this goes on, we might wish we took a UK attitude towards it. ( let it burn through the population) I really hope the quarantine in Italy works. Otherwise It will be death by a thousand cuts

Take it easy. Listening to their expert on with Boris. When asked about the no school closures in NI he said children won't get badly affected!!!!!!

FFS if he's an expert they are fudged, does he not relaise that children with mild symptoms are vectors that can spread it to vunerable people.

They are experimenting with peoples lives, the ruling class's attitude has not changed since they tried laissez faire economics to sort out the famine. Don't trust these pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Stheno wrote: »
    Decrease in both news cases and deaths today, is it possible they've peaked?

Ill be happy when we see 3/4 days in a row of this , we have had false dawns with Italy before ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

30% increase per day in the next 7 days would be 1123 confirmed cases then and if it continued would be 7046 a further seven days later on March 29tj

Explains the focus to try and reduce asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Contact tracing I would imagine.

i thought i heard with the move to community testing, they were giving up on contact tracing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I read the Eu are considering a travel ban. Only a few days ago Trump said the same and got lambasted for it.
    Funny old world.

Stay safe.

He got lambasted for it because he was blaming the EU for seeding America with the virus and taking no responsibility, nor acknowledging, the problem within his own country. Everything is a blame game. Obama even got blamed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Anyone have a link for the briefing at 8pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

We cant blame the Government if this turns out terribly. They have spoken well letting the public know its very serious and been relatively proactive. Not sure what more they could have done, probably a little late to react.They cant control younger people in particular ignoring protocols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Spar/Texaco Fermoy!
    90075959_1053994018314009_4783264584603533312_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=6G1_qzG89sQAX9r9lM9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=54b1cc10d912e11976a3cba72127b1b7&oe=5E973A2A

I think that is a very sensible arrangement, all cashiers and checkout people should be afforded similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was listening to the news on radio HSE launched a new online help with testing, but apparently the website crashed as so many people was trying to access the site to get tested so the update I reckon is going to be huge.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

ingalway wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they are recording the cause of death based on any underlying condition rather than Coronavirus. If true a shocking way to distort the figures.
    On the contrary, it’s actually a more accurate way of recording the cause of death. If someone was terminally ill anyway and then unfortunately contracted coronavirus, it would be inaccurate to say that they died from the virus.

One figure which we are not hearing is the extent to which the virus is being transmitted within hospitals. If all the serious cases are being treated in hospital it potentially exposes everyone in the hospital to the virus, including all the other patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Don't give NSAIDS like nurofen. There is a doctor in the UK, who thinks they might be contributing to higher death rates in Italy. (Where it is very common to give them for fever symptoms)

I'm not a doctor, so not giving medical advice. Just letting you know in case it might be important and could make a difference.

This is the doctor who said it in this video around minute 14:00 I think.

He's still doing more research, so he's not 100% sure yet. But just be careful with giving these drugs!

This man in NOT a doctor, he's a retired nurse. Doesn't necessarily make what he's saying right or wrong, but identifying him and a 'doctor' is incorrect.

"Hello Everyone,
    My name is John Campbell and I am a retired Nurse Teacher and A and E nurse based in England. I also do some teaching in Asia and Africa when time permits. These videos are to help students to learn the background to all forms of health care. My PhD focured on the development of open learning resources for nurses nationally and internationally. "
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/about

I read the Eu are considering a travel ban. Only a few days ago Trump said the same and got lambasted for it.
    Funny old world.

Stay safe.

Trump did it to give two fingers to the EU. What emerged today is for health, rather than economical reasons. Funny old world indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Gynoid wrote: »
    I think that is a very sensible arrangement, all cashiers and checkout people should be afforded similar

That's really smart actually!

Cw85 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link for the briefing at 8pm?
    It will be after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

statesaver wrote: »
    Yer man on RTE news said 600 - 800 cases by the end of the week and now we have FF Stephen Donnelly says 10000 cases in 2 weeks ?????????????????????

I think it’s called exponential growth :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

i thought i heard with the move to community testing, they were giving up on contact tracing?

They're still using contact tracing. The move to community testing is separate and has been underway for a good while now ever since the National Ambulance Service started testing in homes.

The WHO stated today that countries need to massively step up both contact tracing and testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Anyone have a link to the live briefing at 8pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

wadacrack wrote: »
    We cant blame the Government if this turns out terribly. They have spoken well letting the public know its very serious and been relatively proactive. Not sure what more they could have done, probably a little late to react.They cant control younger people in particular ignoring protocols
    They were certainly slow in acting. But they have made the correct decisions eventually and are doing a good job all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/live/11/ after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

leavingirl wrote: »
    Ah the cognitive dissonance...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

I'm not sure what your point is? Based on that link, the mortality rate for this flu season in the USA is only .06% (i.e. half the lower estimate of .1% in the post you are replying to). This season had very low mortality, though it has been very extensive compared to other recent seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1ypJdQPVmeaxW

Link for press conference
    Varadkar speaking now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Hurrache wrote: »
    He got lambasted for it because he was blaming the EU for seeding America with the virus and taking no responsibility, nor acknowledging, the problem within his own country. Everything is a blame game. Obama even got blamed for it.

Italians blaming the Chinese. Chinese blaming some chap for eating a bat.

He proposed a ban got lambasted now the Eu are proposing a ban and people are hailing it as a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Was listening to the news on radio HSE launched a new online help with testing, but apparently the website crashed as so many people was trying to access the site to get tested so the update I reckon is going to be huge.

We will not see results of the mass testing for a while, they are opening croke parl for drive through testing in the coming days which will really help speed things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Maybe Leo making announcement from US holiday junket at the time wasn't a great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just go on google and type rte news now and it should be there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I kinda feel for Regina Doherty, the acting Min for Social Protection and she lost her seat too.

Takes someone with cojones to see the SP aspect of this through, knowing you are toast anyway. High five and a fist bump to her from me anyway.j

Can’t be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Powers to detain people who dont isolate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Taoiseach states he believes 15,000 people will have tested positive by the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

flazio wrote: »
    There's a lot of three letter acronyms that I have no clue what they are.

Apologies

EHS = Environmental, Health & Safety
    SLT = Site Leadership Team
    APIs = Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients

I am just concerned that I would be viewed as the person making the EHS decisions on site, which in reality it has always been management. Also I feel now that they want to have me as the person on site while they will probably hibernate for a few weeks while this boils over & then cools down again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Yeah... I'd like to chip in with some advice, but I have no idea what is being said.

I think he just got a promotion minus the payrise or boost in Job title

SLT = Senior/Site Leadership Team
    EHS is Environmental Health and Safety
    API is Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (drug)

Italians blaming the Chinese. Chinese blaming some chap for eating a bat.

He proposed a ban got lambasted now the Eu are proposing a ban and people are hailing it as a great idea.

The EUs ban is to stop it spreading further inside and outaide the EU, complwtely different to his idiotic plan which was weeks too late from being effective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I kinda feel for Regina Doherty, the acting Min for Social Protection and she lost her seat too.

Takes someone with cojones to see the SP aspect of this through, knowing you are toast anyway. High five and a fist bump to her from me anyway.j

Can’t be easy.

Does the incumbents who even got voted out still turn up to work until new government gets elected ?

I mean if so she’s still being paid handsomely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Taoiseach states he believes 15,000 people will have tested positive by the end of the month.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And majority won't need hospital treatment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Shn99 wrote: »
    Any big announcements from the cabinet sub committee ? Cant watch at the moment

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1239625741538594816

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jesus, that's mental

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

10% of 15000 is 1500 we have 250 ICU beds....

So there's no imminent lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Of course we can blame the government if this turns out terribly. Michael Martin wanted to ban flights coming in from Italy in the early days of this virus crisis unfolding. Banning flights from Italy and the hotspot at the time, would have been our best course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I thought I misheard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

but all those have the potential to infect other, if people don't practice social distancing it will just keep spreading

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You're looking at about 1500-2000 who will. That is a very large number given the intense treatment needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

spookwoman wrote: »
    but all those have the potential to infect other, if people don't practice social distancing it will just keep spreading

Totally agree

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You're looking at about 1500-2000 who will. That is a very large number given the intense treatment needed.

And it's only March.

No shutdown tomorrow say Leo. Going to stick with social distancing as the main effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

spookwoman wrote: »

Most of those probably already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

James 007 wrote: »
    Apologies

EHS = Environmental, Health & Safety
    SLT = Site Leadership Team
    APIs = Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients

I am just concerned that I would be viewed as the person making the EHS decisions on site, which in reality it has always been management. Also I feel now that they want to have me as the person on site while they will probably hibernate for a few weeks while this boils over & then cools down again

Looks like an opportunity to step up in your career and take a leadership role. Even if your current employer doesn't recognise it now, you can put it on your CV and it will look great if you are seen to have take the reigns and and pushed yourself during a time of crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Funny old world.

Stay safe.

I'm pretty sure most people here agreed with it and wanted our government to do the same

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement