Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

is it possible to not get it from your family living together?

If none of your family have it that is true as long as you stay away from sources of the virus. ( It is impossible to tell if your family do not have it as some people can be asymptomatic)

Sources of the virus are people and surfaces that infected people may have touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's what he said. There could be an element of preparing people for the absolute worse case scenario and hoping what actually occurs is much less severe.

Not a bad strategy. Frighten the bejaysus out of us into radical social distancing and then nobody will ever know whether he actually believed those figures or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Based on the 30% increase the entire country will have been exposed by the 24 April.

I am calling BS, how come China is not completely saturated at this stage?

Have you forgotten about the complete lockdown in Wuhan during the first outbreak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Based on the 30% increase the entire country will have been exposed by the 24 April.

I thought you were supposed to be banned from this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

VinLieger wrote: »
    Those daily numbers should start declining if the social distancing has worked by the first week of April.

China did it cus they are authoritaian as fvck

Thats what I was thinking. We would have 2-3 weeks of increases and then a stabilisation of new cases with a slow decline to follow in the month after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

FitzShane wrote: »
    Do you not understand what social distancing means.
    The problem is not alcohol, it's being in close confined spaces beside each other.
    but the CMO again said that restaurants don't need to close,you can limit numbers in both.

cafes were complaining about being very busy, best to spread the people between restaurant, pubs, cafes and fastfood etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is going to lead to issues. So many men rely on the bookies to escape their homes.

Addiction aside, pathetic to use a bookies to "escape" your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

murpho999 wrote: »
    Shouldn't these updates be live on RTE 1 every day?
    The time they do it is just not precise. It has been 6.05, 6.20 and I think before 6. RTE News Now is available and doesn't really run to a fixed schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Would it kill RTE to fcuk off with Eastenders and put theses conferences out live? Such hoops you've to jump through to get watchng it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Could we be looking at a jump of over 100 today given the projected numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

This is going to lead to issues. So many men rely on the bookies to escape their homes.

Perhaps those lads need a wake up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Those daily numbers should start declining if the social distancing has worked by the first week of April.

China did it cus they are authoritaian as fvck

We should have copied China not Italy :(

Thats fúcking depressing to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Did I see correctly that the mortality rate for closed case for Italy is 44% currently??

This shocking, absolutely horrific if that's the real rate.

China not telling the truth at all about this infection, I know we thought the figures were not the full truth but this is proof, this virus is lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lundstram wrote: »
    Would it kill RTE to fcuk off with Eastenders and put theses conferences out live? Such hoops you've to jump through to get watchng it.

Or shagging Nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

This might sound daft, but my missus is a veterinary nurse and she is Willing to help where she can. I wonder if folks with any medical experience would be useful in this situation

*waits for expected slating....*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Could we be looking at a jump of over 100 today given the projected numbers?

Likely to see that by end of week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Hurrache wrote: »

Dont mock us. I dont gamble but I used to go watch sky sports football matches for free. :D

Better than in the pub paying for overpriced drinks( even soft ones) during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Why are we suddenly so keen to trust China?

A country that's famous for lying about so damn much that happens in the country, a place so damn locked down you can't even mention Tienanmen Square without being thrown in a jail cell. A country with a human rights record so bad even the Saudi's think they need to chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

is_that_so wrote: »
    The time they do it is just not precise. It has been 6.05, 6.20 and I think before 6. RTE News Now is available and doesn't really run to a fixed schedule.

I think they could work something out and interrupt Eastenders. It's important to keep the public informed and RTE News Now is not watched by many as it doesn't feel like a proper news channel to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

Anywhere to watch the announcements live?

Likely to see that by end of week

The prediction is the high hundreds by the end of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

greenpilot wrote: »
    This might sound daft, but my missus is a veterinary nurse and she is Willing to help where she can. I wonder if folks with any medical experience would be useful in this situation

They do says vets are probably better at diagnosing becuase their patients can't speak. Fair play to her

Yeah likewise I cant see where the 30% figure is coming from.

People are quite clearly keeping distance from each other and most non essential services and offices are basically shut down already with people working from home.
    It sounded like they now have a model and that's what it is telling them is the potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

id say so probably most people will be used to contact trace

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Just drove past about 500 plus young people heading into a gig in Camden tonight. Boris and the lads will be haunted by their lack of action for a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

What slating? I'd be happy to have a vet see me. Highly trained professionals adept at diagnoses and people are members of the animal kingdom after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

RTE News Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

When will the give today's numbers?
    I thought at the live conference they would have said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did I see correctly that the mortality rate for closed case for Italy is 44% currently??

China not telling the truth at all about this infection, I know we thought the figures were not the full truth but this is proof, this virus is lethal.

I'm not sure where you are calculating those figured from.

Do you just mean that the number who have recovered is about double those who have died? That isn't quite comparing like with like.

I would imagine that "recovered" means a few negative tests for the virus on subsequent days, regardless of your symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Already been suggested, and derided by a pharmacist here.

Personally I think it's perfectly sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

They could put up a screenflash on RTE 1 and 2 to say that there is an announcement going out over on News Now - just like the newsflash in the old days.

Dont mock us. I dont gamble but I used to go watch sky sports football matches for free. :D

Better than in the pub paying for overpriced drinks( even soft ones) during the day.

In fairness, I'll accept your scabbiness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Present your maths, them jump to scaremongering, less of the faux concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

It kills you a lot quicker than you get better. That'll drop dramatically. Italy is still not that long into this no matter how it feels. The death rate at the start is also made look worse as it will be the worst cases being checked at the start. As testing and tracking comes into play we get more and more mild cases coming into the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

spookwoman wrote: »
    They do says vets are probably better at diagnosing becuase their patients can't speak. Fair play to her

Hmmm....so that's why she married me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If anyone here said 15000 will have it soon they'd be banned, but the Taoiseach pulls that number out of his arse and it's taken seriously. What an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Was looking at the infection rates and deaths stats there and came across Thailand. They have less cases and deaths than us. How is this possible given it's global position.

Also somewhere like north Korea must be decimated. No health care, constant famine. Is there any anecdotal evidence of what's happening there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Monkeynut wrote: »

8 o'clock.

That wasn't the HSE press conference.....it must be coming after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The final figures won't be anywhere near 44% but that is a devastating loss for the people of Italy. I am not looking forward to seeing this replicated over here.

If Ireland have 15k cases having closed all of our schools and cancelled all public gatherings, how many cases will NI have given that their government are doing literally nothing to stop this spreading?

If it gets really bad in the North, will people start trying to take refuge down south?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

French President Emmanuel Macron has ordered people to stay at home from midday Tuesday except for necessary reasons such as shopping, saying any violations of the stricter rules to battle the coronavirus would be punished.

In a 20-minute address to the nation, he said the French had to "severely restrict movements for the next 15 days at least" and limit social contacts as much as possible. Any violation of this new regime would be "punished," he said.

spookwoman wrote: »

Some time next week we'll see an unexplained jump of the parvo virus into humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hurrache wrote: »

It's the reality. Some live alone and some don't like their wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

What’s app

It's on RTE News Now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Would agree on the jumping around of timings is ridiculous. Surely they can agree a time like 630 and go live on rte1 as well as news now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

It doesn't look like they're going to probably keeping with their policy of keeping the areas affected secret maybe now the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

If anyone here said 15000 will have it soon they'd be banned, but the Taoiseach pulls that number out of his arse and it's taken seriously. What an idiot.

Hardly pulled it out of his arse.
    Wonder who is the idiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's on RTE News Now!

Looks like it's being pushed back?

https://twitter.com/JackHoJo/status/1239638344839106561

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Conchy wrote: »
    Boylesports is closing on Wednesday night until the 30th of March. Not sure why they are waiting until Wednesday though.

Every cloud.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement