Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Experts expecting 6-700 cases by end of week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Did I see correctly that the mortality rate for closed case for Italy is 44% currently??

This shocking, absolutely horrific if that's the real rate.

China not telling the truth at all about this infection, I know we thought the figures were not the full truth but this is proof, this virus is lethal.

It probably means the 'cases' figure is wildly inaccurate. The diamond Princess gave us a "lucky" insight into these figures, very solid data came out of it showing a fatality rate of slightly under 1% overall. Interestingly even on a cruise ship only 20% of the total 3,700 actually contracted the virus.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Did I see correctly that the mortality rate for closed case for Italy is 44% currently??

China not telling the truth at all about this infection, I know we thought the figures were not the full truth but this is proof, this virus is lethal.

I means that those that die are dieing faster than those that are due to recover are making a full recovery. Italy critical health service is so over capacity that it's in a triage situation where those with the least chance of making it are being left to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where did you see that?

28,000 confirmed cases and 2,100 deaths. So the rate is 7.5% which is high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That’s based on confirmed cases to deaths/recoveries. It is shocking, but it also shows why you need to be testing on a massive scale to truly understand what that figure. If Italy has 10-20 more infected (that have been tested) then there could be over 250,000 infected to 2000 deaths that’s closer to the 1% we heard about.

I’m not downplaying this by any stretch but from watching Dr Aylward and other sources , the spike in deaths at the start and growth stage is usually higher then he final CFR after the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Lundstram wrote: »
    Would it kill RTE to fcuk off with Eastenders and put theses conferences out live? Such hoops you've to jump through to get watchng it.

RTE will do what they're told.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

Anywhere to watch the announcements live?

RTÉ news now show it live everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

threeball wrote: »
    Was looking at the infection rates and deaths stats there and came across Thailand. They have less cases and deaths than us. How is this possible given it's global position.

Could be the climate maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Was looking at the infection rates and deaths stats there and came across Thailand. They have less cases and deaths than us. How is this possible given it's global position.

Also somewhere like north Korea must be decimated. No health care, constant famine. Is there any anecdotal evidence of what's happening there.

NK also have very little contact with the external world and very rigid border controls. I doubt they have any cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Downlinz wrote: »
    What's most frightening is experts believe the true figure may be 10-20 times what is reported due to mild symptoms or asymptomatic people. So it could mean 150 - 300k infected by the end of the month.

In my interpretation it would be better because it would mean that 1% not 10% of those infected need serious help. Still a ghastly amount of people in dire straits, and likely an overwhelming of our services. But it would mean far more would fight through reasonably well.
    However it would also mean this is a highly contagious backstard of a thing. This whole thing will certainly open up people's perception of our true fragility.

On the other hand I remember some WHO official, name begins with Al...? , who went to China and said there was not really a big underlying undetected cohort of people who were infected. Dont know...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Italy had 15,000 confirmed cases on Thursday last and over 1,000 deaths by then.

The country had already been shut down 3 days at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

France going into lockdown now. Only a matter of when for us to follow soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

greenpilot wrote:
    This might sound daft, but my missus is a veterinary nurse and she is Willing to help where she can. I wonder if folks with any medical experience would be useful in this situation

I'm sure they will. No harm in applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Also somewhere like north Korea must be decimated. No health care, constant famine. Is there any anecdotal evidence of what's happening there.

In the case of North Korea they very little foreign travel it was likely a simple matter to shoot anyone who had or was near a carrier. A lot of this was tourists bringing it back before we realised which spots were hotspots. North Koreans take less holidays I would bet.

Don't know much about Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pushed to 9pm? This can't be a good sign surely

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Akrasia wrote: »
    Looks like an opportunity to step up in your career and take a leadership role. Even if your current employer doesn't recognise it now, you can put it on your CV and it will look great if you are seen to have take the reigns and and pushed yourself during a time of crisis.

Yes with no salary increase, no recognition.

Based on me taking up a 'leadership' role at a time of crisis, why not discuss it with me first. My thing is they don't seem to want to recognise it.

What did I just watch? Is there now a Dept of separate health conference aswell? And is it in news now or somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hardly pulled it out of his arse.
    Wonder who is the idiot?

No one knows, but why pull numbers out of his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ricero wrote: »

Friday. Will be announced tomorrow or Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats old news Donald, but not fake news :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Leo says no, they are going to hammer home social distancing. Suggested in the conference that quarantine doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Maybe so the evening news can cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Would agree on the jumping around of timings is ridiculous. Surely they can agree a time like 630 and go live on rte1 as well as news now

The times change because the information changes - they go when they have the most/best info to present. No point in sticking to a set time and going out regardless of what critical info they may still be waiting for.

As I suggested earlier, they could always flash on the RTE 1 and 2 screens when a conf is about to be carried on News Now. Advertisers would not be happy that they might direct viewers away, but this is a unique and fast moving situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is this more contagious than the winter flu? It seems to spread rapidly. I'm not sure how quickly the winter flu gets around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Akrasia wrote: »
    NK also have very little contact with the external world and very rigid border controls. I doubt they have any cases

They have alot of contact with China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I'm sure he was briefed by an expert.

Idris Elba has it! :( I hope he'll be ok. I love that beautiful man. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kevin12345 wrote: »

Always find it strange the the chairs at these conferences don't comply with Social distancing recommendations.

Also Trump on stage now at the White house and whole team bunched up together.

They should be the role models.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well the CMO is only just out of 1 press conference. Think he needs a bit more time to talk to his people before another press conference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I think it's a very sensible strategy.
    By testing absolutely everyone we will get a better idea of the actual mortality rate.
    Also by testing young/healthy people who show few or very mild symptoms they will be able to self isolate and protect the vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It depends what you mean by 'lockdown'. The Taoiseach says he wants people to be able to leave their houses, so it looks like Italy / Spain / France type lockdown is not coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Boggles wrote: »

Will have to get a lock of cans in so !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smallfryy

Idris Elba has it! :( I hope he'll be ok. I love that beautiful man. :(

I would love to be quarantined with him 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Its because Holohan just finished the sub committee briefing few mins ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Holohan needs to get from one press conference to the other presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Lundstram wrote: »
    Would it kill RTE to fcuk off with Eastenders and put theses conferences out live? Such hoops you've to jump through to get watchng it.

Where would I watch this

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Can you not ask your mate for an exact date and time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

owlbethere wrote: »
    Where would I watch this
    RTE News Now

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

29th March is date that is quoted for things closed till. I think that date will get pushed back for some weeks after that.

We are currently 22nd in the world per capita with 34.4 infected per million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Clashing with French and American announcements so pushed back I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

James 007 wrote: »
    Yes with no salary increase, no recognition.

Based on me taking up a 'leadership' role at a time of crisis, why not discuss it with me first. My thing is they don't seem to want to recognise it.

I think you're between a rock and a hard place. If you refuse to help, this would look very bad for your prospects at that company. If you do accept the responsibility, they may not reward you for it, but you will gain valuable experience and you might find a better job off the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Well the CMO is only just out of 1 press conference. Think he needs a bit more time to talk to his people before another press conference

And to move between buildings. The most recent conf was not at the Dept of Health. The next one will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Where the hell did Varadkar get the 15,000 mark from?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

Where are people hearing that the briefing is pushed back to 9pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Boggles wrote: »

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wrex wrote: »
    29th March is date that is quoted for things closed till. I think that date will get pushed back for some weeks after that.

I think the schools will definitely stay closed until after Easter anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I wonder if maybe he's talking to medical experts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Source?

There's no point in asking for a source. If someone doesn't post an actual link from a credible source, just assume they are talking out of their hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

owlbethere wrote: »
    Where would I watch this

RTE usually have it, but it's going to be an absolute miserly bit of TV. Watch the press conference instead, there's no place for Eastenders in anyone's life.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement