Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Mouthwash, no, Listerine is only 25% alcohol and you need at least 60%.

Dilute household bleach as per the CDC instructions:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/cleaning-disinfection.html

Don't drink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, he wants to stop it....he's not into that herd immunity nonsense.

He's saying throw everything at the virus and slow it down.

I disagree. Listen to his exact words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Might be a spike in deaths causing delay.
    Might be gone to VAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Fair play to all involved in that.... good to see some charitable thinking outside of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Where the hell did Varadkar get the 15,000 mark from?

I don't know but it's too big a number to just flippantly throw out there.

There must be significant weight behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Loughc wrote: »
    Rumours like that are not helpful.

Its not a rumour. Its an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hurrache wrote: »
    So his plan is to infect everyone, just slowly?

No, that's not it. Slow down the spread......his plan would be to kill the virus stone dead tomorrow if he could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

owlbethere wrote: »
    Simon Coveney said that going forward 'we will be asking people coming in on flights to restrict their movements"

What was wrong with doing that 2/3/4 weeks ago?

Freedom of movement, EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

astrofool wrote: »
    Present your maths, them jump to scaremongering, less of the faux concern.

No someone else posted it here already earlier in the thread, I was just querying if it was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Not everyone but a significant proportion of the population. Oh, and he won't be going around infecting everyone personally. You can't stop it without a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Simon Coveney said that going forward 'we will be asking people coming in on flights to restrict their movements"

His crystal ball wasn't working.

Some people use any little thing to have a dig at the politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

That's the football scores
    JPCN1 wrote: »
    I think you could be right.

Cases suspected of Covid 19... NK?

8.58...... 1
    9.03...... O

10.45.... 1
    11.01.... 0

12.O9..... 1
    12.48..... 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Its only with the emergence of this crisis that you realise how silly a name RTE News Now is.

- Where can I watch the press conference?

- RTE News Now

- Oh right! Yikes! What are they saying?

- Nothing yet, 9pm

- Eh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

It’s called flattening the curve

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

statesaver wrote: »
    Freedom of movement, EU.

Nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Freedom of movement, EU.
    That's not true even though Coveney said same last week.
    Ireland and any other state can do what it likes in respect of a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

pH wrote: »
    It probably means the 'cases' figure is wildly inaccurate. The diamond Princess gave us a "lucky" insight into these figures, very solid data came out of it showing a fatality rate of slightly under 1% overall. Interestingly even on a cruise ship only 20% of the total 3,700 actually contracted the virus.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

That's more reassuring, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

What time is the press conference at? Thought it was 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, managing infection levels so that the health system can cope. Most cases will be mild, it's the number of concurrent severe ones we need to be concerned about.

Fics wrote: »
    What time is the press conference at? Thought it was 8?
    Moved back to 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Wonder is there anything they could do with the recruitment drive for people willing to do some work in the evening with their laptops

I’d volunteer a few hours every evening no bother just to feel I was doing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Wow, just wow. Have you just woken up from a coma?

Google flattening the curve and have a think about why slowing down this virus might be a good strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Its only with the emergence of this crisis that you realise how silly a name RTE News Now is.

- RTE News Now

- Nothing yet, 9pm

- Eh....

Press conference is just over. I am sure they will show parts of it again on RTE news. It was little strange to show it on the news channel and not main channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Phibsboro wrote: »

- RTE News Now

- Nothing yet, 9pm

- Eh....

There is a difference between RTE News Now and RTE news, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This must be really tough for people in emergency accommodation.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Freedom of movement, EU.
    Not legally, just diplomatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hopefully a massive spike in numbers. The more positive tests the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FgU9JEo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Yes exactly. Flights coming in from Italy as Italy was going into meltdown.

Don't give a monkeys what they doing now.
    World has prioritized profit now realised how serious this is.

Are they not payed to look after their people.
    Europe has made a total mess of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Moved back to 9.

The numbers but they just finished a full press conference with Leo and Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Lundstram wrote: »
    His crystal ball wasn't working.

Some people use any little thing to have a dig at the politicians.

Funnily enough, here on boards with no expert advice but eyes to see what was happening elsewhere, crystal balls were fully functional...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Get Real wrote: »
    Sorry if posted already. But sweet Jesus...

Brits in Benidorm, they know best eh? Freedom, Independence and what have you...

https://twitter.com/RTUKnews/status/1239584711346769920?s=19

Yes and this was 3 days ago in Cheltenham
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8108673/Cheltenham-2020-outfits.html

Which included many people from both the UK and Ireland drinking at the track in large groups and then partying on until the wee hours in the town.

Is your point that you look down on this 'type of person', who looked like they were having a few drinks and complying fully with Spanish authorities when asked? 2 Nights ago there were packed pubs in this country ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Wonder is there anything they could do with the recruitment drive for people willing to do some work in the evening with their laptops

I’d volunteer a few hours every evening no bother just to feel I was doing something

I wonder could people volunteer to do contact tracing? Should be able to train up pretty quick and can work from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lundstram wrote: »
    Safe to say cheap flying will be gone for a while now?

Cheap everything might be gone and it wouldn't surprise me if new "emergency taxes" will be brought in after everything calms down. We could have another USC situation, where a temporary tax becomes a permanent one.

On another subject, a buddy of mine got let go from his job today. Part of the 140,000. He's in the service industry and has been in a particular place for a few years. He said he was willing just to take extended unpaid leave. But, no. He was simply told that he was gone.

He reckons the place he was working for are just using this as an excuse to axe staff and then hire new people at a cheaper rate, when it blows over.

I think he might be right. 140,000 workers simply just "let go", after, what a day or two of cautionary measures? No leave. Just let go? I understand businesses saying to their staff to stay home for the foreseeable future. But to just fire them?

Something stinks about that to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Esel wrote: »
    This must be really tough for people in emergency accommodation.

and for those who have to go to work who live with high risk people...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Over 560 dead in Europe in the last 24 hours.

Over 1,100 dead in the last 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes, that's the whole point and the only way to stop it returning over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Vivienne23 wrote: »

Same. I'm a Project Manager by day but happy to volunteer for tracing or whatever the hell eases the burden on the system. Would be great if there was some sort of portal that we can just apply to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

8 confirmed cases in trinity now. Will not be surprised to see a large cluster in relation to this

Trinity have solved the problem. They will be virus free by Wednesday night. They are evicting all Irish students from their college accommodation tomorrow. Anyone from outside Ireland has been given an extra day, presumably to book flights etc before they are kicked out on the street on Wednesday.

I suspect that will be a major PR disaster for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

pH wrote: »
    It probably means the 'cases' figure is wildly inaccurate. The diamond Princess gave us a "lucky" insight into these figures, very solid data came out of it showing a fatality rate of slightly under 1% overall. Interestingly even on a cruise ship only 20% of the total 3,700 actually contracted the virus.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

That would seem to me to be a kind of false mortality rate, given the eventual circumstances in hospitals.

Did everyone on that ship have access to doctors/ventilators etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Social distancing will not STOP the virus just slows it

Unfortunately still too many people not practising it - I only intend to leave the house for groceries for the foreseeable future, other half in the supermarket tonight (not busy) and people wouldn't stay away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Does anyone even read this thread? The amount of times someone asks a question that’s been answered numerous times in the recent previous posts!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I don't know but it's too big a number to just flippantly throw out there.

There must be significant weight behind it.

They have mathematical models used to predict case numbers.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Cheap everything might be gone and it wouldn't surprise me if new "emergency taxes" will be brought in after everything calms down. We could have another USC situation, where a temporary tax becomes a permanent one.

On another subject, a buddy of mine got let go from his job today. Part of the 140,000. He's in the service industry and has been in a particular place for a few years. He said he was willing just to take extended unpaid leave. But, no. He was simply told that he was gone.

He reckons the place he was working for are just using this as an excuse to axe staff and then hire new people at a cheaper rate, when it blows over.

I think he might be right. 140,000 workers simply just "let go", after, what a day or two of cautionary measures? No leave. Just let go? I understand businesses saying to their staff to stay home for the foreseeable future. But to just fire them?

Something stinks about that to me.

The place is probably going to close. No conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Qrt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Wow, just wow. Have you just woken up from a coma?

Google flattening the curve and have a think about why slowing down this virus might be a good strategy

He more or less admitted that stopping the virus was impossible at this stage. The social distancing will hopefully make it more manageable but also will prolong how long we have to deal with it. Its almost inevitable that almost half the population will have it. The question is how long it takes. Longer the better for people who need hospitalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Drumpot wrote: »
    FgU9JEo.jpg

People on here were saying it 3 weeks ago but eh you came up with a meme to get a few likes from other shortsighted people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Qrt wrote: »
    Beware the wrath of Twitter!

adox wrote: »
    Does anyone even read this thread? The amount of times someone asks a question that’s been answered numerous times in the recent previous posts!

Thread moved too fast. There should probably be a number of threads and a break down of the subject.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement