Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teching

• 16-03-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

I have a quick question, so my friend was talking to me the other night about teaching mainstrain primary, she has qualified in resource/ special ed but she said she would like to have the option to teach mainstream in her school. She has qualified under route 4 of the teaching council and just like some guidance how she would go about gaining her qualification for mainstream?

Thanks in advance,
    Neil. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

She'll have to gain a PME from St.Pats/Froebel/Mary I or Hibernia.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 neil123

Cash_Q wrote: »

Perf, I’ll send on the message.
    Thank you

neil123 wrote:
    Perf, I’ll send on the message. Thank you

You're welcome. Many people are apprehensive about the Irish interview; if this is the case for your friend there are specific courses that prepare interviewees for this. Gaelchultur used to run it so might be worth contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 neil123

You're welcome. Many people are apprehensive about the Irish interview; if this is the case for your friend there are specific courses that prepare interviewees for this. Gaelchultur used to run it so might be worth contacting them.

Ok will do thanks, she was saying something about she’ll contact the teaching council and see if she can keep her teaching council number and see if she can sit the OGC ( or something lol) exam and continue to teach.
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Or Marino.

• Advertisement

neil123 wrote:
    Ok will do thanks, she was saying something about she’ll contact the teaching council and see if she can keep her teaching council number and see if she can sit the OGC ( or something lol) exam and continue to teach. Thanks for the help

She can keep her Teaching Council number and sub while doing a postgraduate course. As far as I know the OCG is for those who have completed recognised teacher training in another state, e.g. if she did the PGCE in the UK. She should contact the Teaching Council anyway but if they tell her something on the phone I'd ask for it in writing too. I've been told misleading information on the phone in the past despite me repeatedly correcting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

neil123 wrote: »
    Perf, I’ll send on the message.
    Thank you

If she's hoping to go back this year, the PME TEG exams are done for 2020, but Hibernia are taking applications for September intake. If she's looking at 2021, then she could go for Spring or Autumn intake in Hibernia, and do the TEG B1 oral exam (next Jan / Feb) for the NUI courses.

If she wants any feedback on what to expect from the TEG, pop me a PM, I'll be happy to share my thoughts if it's of help to her.

Advertisement