Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair flight to Spain NOT cancelled but country is on lockdown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Just went on Ryanair and they are flogging a September sale!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

They are hoping People rebook. When the flights are cancelled it would involve them paying back lots of money.

That been said I'm sure they are super busy. If your flight is not going you Will get a refund if you wish. Don't panic if you can afford a holiday you can afford to wait a week or two for the refund.

I know many people are hoping the flights are cancelled to get a refund but there was probably lots of people on those flights returning home to Spain ect, cancelling will mean they are stuck here. Some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Easypazz - why not read my post?

Refund OR re-book.

They offered me a re-book. But their system wouldnt let me. Is it that hard to understand?

And what about their moral responsibility of relying on a contract to fly customers into an area where their/our government say NOT to travel for anything other than essential reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Easypazz - why not read my post?

Refund OR re-book.

They offered me a re-book. But their system wouldnt let me. Is it that hard to understand?

And what about their moral responsibility of relying on a contract to fly customers into an area where their/our government say NOT to travel for anything other than essential reasons?

In fairness, I don't think mortality is high on the agenda of any private profit-making companies!

I am open to correction, but AFAIK it has only ever been the case that you'll get a refund for a cancelled flight.

Anything to do with a flight that still runs would be covered by insurance (with all the get out clauses they have, and that's if you have insurance in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

easypazz wrote: »
    So you want a refund for a flight that went ahead as scheduled.

I am entitled to a refund for a cancelled flight, but I don't expect anything else as its not Ryanairs fault.

We all agree it’s not Ryanair’s fault, but they can hardly expect passengers to fly to Spain and get stuck there or add to the queue trying to get home,
    Limpy wrote: »

I know many people are hoping the flights are cancelled to get a refund but there was probably lots of people on those flights returning home to Spain ect, cancelling will mean they are stuck here. Some perspective.

People coming home are one thing, adding to that number is irresponsible and just a cop out by airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Valyawl wrote: »
    I eventually got an email with a specific link for refund, it processed and said it will I think 7 days or so.

Yeah same. It seems to go though without much hassle once you get an actual email off them about it. Mine were cancelled during the week but only got the email today. Refund is now being processed it says.

As many say it should be a fully automated system much like booking a flight is.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tombrown

For context (not that most of ye really need it) regarding refunds, I had three train journeys in France fully reserved and paid for, two trips under one reference, one under another. All three were cancelled for various reasons in the last week. I went online -> "my orders" -> reference N°1 -> choose cancel or exchange -> chose cancel -> "cancel with a full refund - are you sure?" -> click -> ticket ref ### cancelled, amount refunded €€€ -> two days later, €€€ in bank account. Apart from myself, no humans were involved in the process at all. Two of the three tickets were originally sold as "non modifiable, non refundable" and the SNCF site is a pile of sh!yte in many respects, but for all of them, I got a full refund of every centime I'd paid.

There is no technical reason why Ryanair couldn't have a similar system in place, and I agree that they should be excluded from any government support measures until they get this part of their customer service act together.
    This is impressive, all the more so as it seems that you paid in francs & centimes and so the tickets must have been bought and paid for 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Getting the dreaded "Your flight reservation number is invalid" message as well.

Is both flights showing up for people when cancelled or just one?

Only one of mine is marked as cancelled (Outbound flight) so maybe both legs of the flight need to cancelled when choosing full refund instead of partial refund option on the refund page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭rx8

dodgystats wrote: »
    Getting the dreaded "Your flight reservation number is invalid" message as well.

Only one of mine is marked as cancelled (Outbound flight) so maybe both legs of the flight need to cancelled when choosing full refund instead of partial refund option on the refund page?

Both legs of my journey were cancelled at different times. It was about 4 or 5 hours apart. Even though I got to trigger the refund at 4.53am yesterday, I still got texts and emails from them to check-in and add cabin bags, even though I had bags added at the time of booking. Just give it another while and get up early tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ryanair fixed the 'glitch'!

Or so it seems anyway. Have a few upcoming flights cancelled - no joy last day or two trying to get refunds (like everyone else). Went into my account a few minutes ago and all bookings disappeared. On spec, went to the refund site and managed to successfully submit them all first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭satguy

MOL must have been reading this thread,, I still think Ryanair should not get any handouts.

I have said before, if Ryanair is allowed fail,, we might get a kinder gentler low cost airline in its place.
    Ryanair would then be just a footnote in history,, rather than the pain in the arse that it is now.

satguy wrote: »
    MOL must have been reading this thread,, I still think Ryanair should not get any handouts.

I have said before, if Ryanair is allowed fail,, we might get a kinder gentler low cost airline in its place.
    Ryanair would then be just a footnote in history,, rather than the pain in the arse that it is now.

Great idea, low cost airlines with fantastic customer service are 2 a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Ryanair fixed the 'glitch'!

Or so it seems anyway. Have a few upcoming flights cancelled - no joy last day or two trying to get refunds (like everyone else). Went into my account a few minutes ago and all bookings disappeared. On spec, went to the refund site and managed to successfully submit them all first time.

Yep - refund just worked for me without issue !! - No email confirmation yet or refund number reference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

tombrown wrote: »
    This is impressive, all the more so as it seems that you paid in francs & centimes and so the tickets must have been bought and paid for 20 years ago

:confused: Where did I say anything about paying in Francs? €€€ is the symbol for the Euro - same as in Ireland! 100 centimes in a Euro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

dodgystats wrote: »

I did it at 455am this morning and it worked. 7 days to get refund.hopefully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Our outbound flight was cancelled earlier in the week and the inbound flight has been cancelled today. I did the online form and it seemed to go through! No email or anything yet, but I'll give it the 7 days and see if the money comes through... glad I don't have to set an alarm to try and do this at 3am anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tombrown

My flight to Tenerife is on 9th April. In "My Bookings" on the web site it is not showing as cancelled, but if I search flights to/from Tenerife there are now none until May.

I guess its now just a case of waiting for the inevitable email so I cen get my refund ... but maybe they will delay that in the hope I still move the flight.

As an aside, RyanAir could do well to offer people vouchers worth (say) 1.5x the price paid as an alternative to cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Got my refund entered properly with the link sent by email informing me of next week's canceled flights to Lanzarote.

It's a different portal to the refund portal accessed through 'My Bookings'. There is less to input, such as no need to enter flight number etc.its better designed.

tombrown wrote: »

As an aside, RyanAir could do well to offer people vouchers worth (say) 1.5x the price paid as an alternative to cancelling.

Ha, I doubt MOL wants microloans from customers at a 50% interest. If he took them you could be sure when you redeemed the voucher the flights would be dearer than cash.

Next job I have is an E261 claim for storm Ciara, 4 of us had wait 3 days in Munich for the next Ryanair flight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm booked to Canaries at Easter.
    Got a text today to tell me to check my emails but there's no email there.
    Anyone else experience this?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Yes, flight was marked as cancelled on Wednesday, email notification came this morning. Waiting on a refund confirmation email now for a refund that I applied for this morning.

Got my email. 8th April to Tenerife. I knew it was cancelled days ago and just had to wait for the inevitable email.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Got my email. 8th April to Tenerife. I knew it was cancelled days ago and just had to wait for the inevitable email.

I'm due to go before you but my email didn't come.
    Is there a link to the refund site?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Flights booked with Ryanir for 8th April to Lanzarote was confirmed by email as cancelled yesterday evening. Knew it had to be coming soon, applied for my refund. I'm sure the vast majority of people booked for the flights in April will start getting similar emails soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

greep wrote: »
    Ryanair still has not cancelled flights to Spain (at least my flight), but I cannot go there anywhere because of the lockdown by Spanish authorities.

Since the flight has not been officially cancelled, I cannot request a full refund (no such option on their site).
    Instead, I can only re-book it to a different desitination/date, with no re-booking fee (but will still charge me extra for luggage re-booking...).

Any idea on how to proceed?
    Ideally, I would like a full refund, but I am afraid that if I don't re-book my flight & if it's not cancelled, I will get nothing OR the dispute might take months before it's resolved....

I've tried calling them or chatting on their site, but no replies so far...

Anyone in a similar position?

Irish ferries pulling the same stunt, still carrying freight and using small print not to refund holiday makers booked in April.

I'm due to go before you but my email didn't come.
    Is there a link to the refund site?

The link has my booking reference embedded in it ( can’t be changed as far as I can see)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

maroondog wrote: »
    Flights booked with Ryanir for 8th April to Lanzarote was confirmed by email as cancelled yesterday evening. Knew it had to be coming soon, applied for my refund. I'm sure the vast majority of people booked for the flights in April will start getting similar emails soon.

I note i never got an email confirmation of my completed Refund Application - took a screen shot of it should i run into any issues. Might be worth doing just in case.

joeysoap wrote: »
    The link has my booking reference embedded in it ( can’t be changed as far as I can see)

Just got thd email this minute.
    The text came hours ago.
    I knew obviously it was cancelled and even if it hadn't been, I wasn't going but seeing it in print just made me depressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭josip

dbrunson wrote: »
    Irish ferries pulling the same stunt, still carrying freight and using small print not to refund holiday makers booked in April.

Worth lodging a Small Claims Court case against them.
    Open to correction, but unlike individuals, companies are by law obliged to have legal representation in the SCC which is often more than the value of the claim.
    So they have an incentive to settle.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Worth lodging a Small Claims Court case against them.
    Open to correction, but unlike individuals, companies are by law obliged to have legal representation in the SCC which is often more than the value of the claim.
    So they have an incentive to settle.

What are they claiming for exactly?

Advertisement