Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair flight to Spain NOT cancelled but country is on lockdown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

easypazz wrote: »
    What are they claiming for exactly?

That the boats were still operational for freight and people chose not to travel

100k for 1 emotional damage please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

josip wrote: »
    Worth lodging a Small Claims Court case against them.
    Open to correction, but unlike individuals, companies are by law obliged to have legal representation in the SCC which is often more than the value of the claim.
    So they have an incentive to settle.

I'll correct you.

Utterly false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭ALS

Had 3 flights booked with Ryanair travelling on the 27/03/30 to Portugal , Ryanair cancelled on the 19th and I will begin the process of a refund today , my question is would I’ve entitled to claim any compensation under
    Regulation (EC) 261

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Quick question, my friend has a flight to Manchester booked for tomorrow and returning on Wed 25th.
    The outbound is still scheduled but the return cancelled. On the 'my bookings' its giving her the option to cancel or refund for the return , but nothing for the outbound tomorrow as its still going ahead.
    I presume she can only claim for the return part? Unfortunately tomorrows flight was more expensive.

ALS wrote: »
    Had 3 flights booked with Ryanair travelling on the 27/03/30 to Portugal , Ryanair cancelled on the 19th and I will begin the process of a refund today , my question is ami entitled to claim any compensation under
    Regulation (EC) 261

Thanks

You're being refunded?

And you want compensation top of this?

• Advertisement

If possible yes?
    If not possible then no ?
    I lost other moneys because I could not fly ?
    Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    You're being refunded?

And you want compensation top of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tombrown

If possible yes?
    If not possible then no ?
    I lost other moneys because I could not fly ?
    I'm not a fan of folks passign judgment on others when they ask quesitons like this - it is, after all, only a question.

My assumption is you would not be entitled to compensation from RyanAir, as the reason for your loss is Coronavirus, not the flight cancellation, and so is not their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

tombrown wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of folks passign judgment on others when they ask quesitons like this - it is, after all, only a question.

My assumption is you would not be entitled to compensation from RyanAir, as the reason for your loss is Coronavirus, not the flight cancellation, and so is not their fault.

But does he not have a point? There is nothing stopping Ryanair from operating the flight.

tombrown wrote: »

That’s what I was thinking alright , just wanted to make sure , thanks for the non judgemental answer ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That’s what I was thinking alright , just wanted to make sure , thanks for the non judgemental answer ...

It is worth contacting any accommodation you have booked. I had bookings in three different places and all gave full refunds of any money already paid, even one 'non-refundable' booking paid in full was refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Out of curiosity, did you plan to go if Ryanair had not cancelled your flight?

spurious wrote: »
    It is worth contacting any accommodation you have booked. I had bookings in three different places and all gave full refunds of any money already paid, even one 'non-refundable' booking paid in full was refunded.

I'd echo this

I've 3 holidays I've had to cancel and the accommodation have been very reasonable in all 3 cases had non refundable bookings refunded / cancelled free of charges

To be honest no ...
    JJJackal wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did you plan to go if Ryanair had not cancelled your flight?

Had 2 places booked got a refund from one , the other no joy...
    I was just asking the question as it was Ryanair’s decision to cancel (because of the virus obviously) and I was curious ..
    spurious wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Mike3549

To be honest no ...

Ah here, compo nation at its best, "im not going but just because they canceled the flight and refunded my money i will sue them to get more"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My Monday return flight is still not "cancelled". I've tried a handful of times to get the refund for yesterdays flight with multiple browsers at different times of the day (2am being the latest I could stay awake) and all the link does is bring me back to the start. I think I'll just do a chargeback I've wasted too much time on this as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Had 3 flights booked with Ryanair travelling on the 27/03/30 to Portugal , Ryanair cancelled on the 19th and I will begin the process of a refund today , my question is would I’ve entitled to claim any compensation under
    Regulation (EC) 261

Thanks

I usually book accommodation through home away. Always get damage refund back, ( last time before I’d even landed. )This is my first cancellation and refunded as requested. I’m happy just to get refunded. Question I would ask is; who is responsible for the non refunded accommodation:

The carrier? The Spanish government ( or whoever) for introducing strict measures or the provider? Or even yourself if you booked non refundable accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

On the E261.
    To my knowledge, once you hit the refund button your E261 right to claim dies.

I got stuck in Munich due to storm Ciara. My Ryanair flight was initially delayed from 12.50 to 2.20, no E261 for that. It was then cancelled, E261 is an option then. I got a text offer of refund or book again. I was a few minutes slow in reading the text, but price of flights out shot up and there were four of us.
    Next viable flight was three days later with Ryanair, cheapest option was to extend my stay in Munich for the three days, it's not a bad place to be stuck.

I'll make the claim this weekend,, on the basis that flights to Dublin resumed at 5pm. Ryanair did not put on an extra flight to get us out, and I took the cheapest option, for both Ryanair and myself. My claim is for 3 nights hotel, 3 dinners, a 3 day public transport. It's less than the 250 pp limit.

Ryanair will reject it on the basis that it was not under there control.I will flag it with the regulator then file an Small Claims Court claim on the basis that they had control from 5PM on the day of the flight.

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Ah here, compo nation at its best, "im not going but just because they canceled the flight and refunded my money i will sue them to get more"

Thanks for answering the question ... very informative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭satguy

Ryanair still forcing people to cancel at their own expence, rather than give them a refund.

Even now, they will still fly you out to a resort in lockdown.

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/5224849/ryanair-passengers-with-cancelled-flights-receive-message-to-say-they-are-still-running-two-hours-before-take-off/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This is the DFA travel advice for France.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/france/

- Essential work purposes
    - Shopping for food and basic necessities
    - Health reasons
    - Essential family reasons, caring for vulnerable persons, childcare
    - Brief trips outside for the purposes of exercise

Anyone who is outside their home must fill in a self-declaration form and be ready to present it to police upon request. Failure to do so may entail a fine of up to €135. For those arriving in France, failure to prove that they are entering the country for one of the permissible reasons above or that they are returning to their home/residence may result in being turned around at the border.

The country is on lockdown and you could be refused entry yet flights are still not cancelled.

satguy wrote: »
    Ryanair still forcing people to cancel at their own expence, rather than give them a refund.

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/5224849/ryanair-passengers-with-cancelled-flights-receive-message-to-say-they-are-still-running-two-hours-before-take-off/

What airlines are giving refunds for flights that operate to schedule?

satguy wrote: »

What airlines are giving refunds for flights that operate to schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭josip

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'll correct you.

Utterly false.

Thanks for the correction.
    I mistakenly thought this also applied to the Small Claims Court.
    https://www.goregrimes.ie/legal-representation-requirements-for-companies-in-court/
    ...Ms. Justice Finlay Geoghegan found that, in accordance with the principles of fair procedure and in the interest of justice, companies must obtain legal representation in litigious matters...

Ryanair refund page worked fine just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

easypazz wrote: »
    Ryanair refund page worked fine just there.

I had no problem with it either 3 days ago.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Thanks all
    Worked a dream yesterday so all refunds in process at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

How far ahead are Ryanair cancelling flights? Someone said their Easter ones were cancelled - anyone any later than that?
    We have a UK flight for Easter - still showing as being able to book (but I expected that) and then the end of April to Canaries - not able to book anything for April at all to Canaries but nothing from them yet.

Dovies wrote: »
    How far ahead are Ryanair cancelling flights? Someone said their Easter ones were cancelled - anyone any later than that?
    We have a UK flight for Easter - still showing as being able to book (but I expected that) and then the end of April to Canaries - not able to book anything for April at all to Canaries but nothing from them yet.

UK - IE flights may continue, on a reduced schedule.

Spain expect to peak this Wednesday so who knows, if they ease the lockdown some flights may continue, Ryanair may just sell cheap seats.

Impossible to guess really.

IMO self isolating the elderly and those with underlying conditions may allow everybody else to get back to some normality sooner than later, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dovies wrote: »

We haven't received any notification yet that a 10th April flight to Barcelona has been cancelled.

Advertisement