Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair flight to Spain NOT cancelled but country is on lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Also applied on 13th March and then for separate flights couple of days later . Received confirmation but still waiting for money . It’ll come eventually.....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

spurious wrote: »
    It said within 20 working days, so that's a while yet. Applied for refund 24th March, got an email acknowledging my request and explaining backlog etc. on the 28th. I won't really worry until the end of April.

My request advised 7 working Days but they could have changed it very quick after. Allowing for Patrick’s day and few days over Easter weekend 20 working days will be mid next week so I will hold tight til then!! As long as I have it back for the unlockdown party I will be happy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tombrown

I just checked mine - it did say 7 working days, but if that has since increased so be it. I have another 2 weeks before the 20 working days are up, so I'll sit back & relax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This was part of the email I got on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

spurious wrote: »
    This was part of the email I got on the 24th.

I got same.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wouldn't worry about Ryanair's cash situation, they're good for any repayments.

https://blueswandaily.com/ryanair-priority-to-reserve-cash-flow-to-operate-for-up-to-12-months-with-no-flights-michael-oleary/

Also, when I pay with a credit card, I get 30-50 days of credit before the money leaves my account.
    So I don't mind if it takes a few weeks to make it's way back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Got a text off ryanair just there now - be patient still in the queue. submitted 20th of march

Just got an email, reassuring me that my request is still in the queue - which is fine by me.

It does state "We are prioritising our most vulnerable customers" , which obviously make sense, but it did get me thinking how they determine who their most vulnerable customers are. I'm not one, so I have no axe to grind on this, just curious. The only data they have access to that I think could determine that is your age from your passport details (not even sure they have date of birth, come to think of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

tombrown wrote: »
    Just got an email, reassuring me that my request is still in the queue - which is fine by me.

It does state "We are prioritising our most vulnerable customers" , which obviously make sense, but it did get me thinking how they determine who their most vulnerable customers are. I'm not one, so I have no axe to grind on this, just curious. The only data they have access to that I think could determine that is your age from your passport details (not even sure they have date of birth, come to think of it)

people who have bookings that require special assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I got an email this morning. They are giving vouchers and I got my voucher code. 12 months expiry date. I’m ok with that as I will use the voucher.

There is an option if I wish to apply for cash refund but will not be processed until office staff return to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The Buster wrote:
    I got an email this morning. They are giving vouchers and I got my voucher code. 12 months expiry date. I’m ok with that as I will use the voucher.

Is there not a new law in place stating vouchers cannot have a timeline on when they have to be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Irish Times today 9/4/2020

" Earlier this week it emerged that those rules were on the brink of being suspended as Minister for Transport Shane Ross considered allowing airlines and tour operators to issue vouchers instead of refunds when flights were cancelled, as part of a set of measures that he hopes will alleviate the financial pressures on companies, to protect jobs and businesses."

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/europe/coronavirus-ryanair-suspends-refunds-and-offers-passengers-vouchers-instead-1.4225203

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭josip

paddy19 wrote: »
    Irish Times today 9/4/2020

" Earlier this week it emerged that those rules were on the brink of being suspended as Minister for Transport Shane Ross considered allowing airlines and tour operators to issue vouchers instead of refunds when flights were cancelled, as part of a set of measures that he hopes will alleviate the financial pressures on companies, to protect jobs and businesses."

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/europe/coronavirus-ryanair-suspends-refunds-and-offers-passengers-vouchers-instead-1.4225203

That article also says you have to contact the airline in order to be put in the cash refund queue.
    So if you don't contact them, by whatever means that is, the implication is that you will by default get a voucher which expires in 12 months time?

Not too happy if this turns out to be the case.

I wouldn't mind credit if it was for a couple of hundred euro, but my refund was due to be over €2K, and I am not convinced I would spend that in the next 12 months - certainly not this year, and as next year my daughter is doing her leaving it is unlikely then as well.

Not sure I understand why they can issue vouchers now, but a cash refund has to wait til the staff are back in the office. I wonder if I was to purchase a ticket today would they wait until staff were back in the office to take the money from my credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I got that email too. If you paid money you are entitled to it back surely (don’t call me Shirley)

Shane Ross is a failed td

What is concerning me more is I have 2 claims with al. Refunds applied for. 2 acknowledgedments of same received. But they are still sending me emails about vouchers.

josip wrote: »
    That article also says you have to contact the airline in order to be put in the cash refund queue.
    So if you don't contact them, by whatever means that is, the implication is that you will by default get a voucher which expires in 12 months time?

Both Ryanair and Aer Lingus have online forms you fill for a refund.

It would be wise to get your refund form in ASAP.
    You will get an email back with a tracking number.

The voucher (at present) is an offer from the airline , you don't have to accept it.

If you do accept it, there is no going back, you are subject to its terms and conditions.

Beware of Airlines bearing gifts.

Is there not a new law in place stating vouchers cannot have a timeline on when they have to be used?

I'm not sure the act applies because EU261 covers the airlines.
    261 is clear, if the airline doesn't fly for any reason you are due a cash refund.

The Irish act allows no limit or a minimum of five years.

I suspect the act applies because Aer Lingus, not noted for it's generosity, has 5 year limit on its voucher.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I got that email too. If you paid money you are entitled to it back surely (don’t call me Shirley)

What is concerning me more is I have 2 claims with al. Refunds applied for. 2 acknowledgements of same received. But they are still sending me emails about vouchers.

They hope you'll accept an offer and then they have exactly where they want you.

Shane Ross or this government have no mandate to force Irish consumers to subsidise the airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What is concerning me more is I have 2 claims with al. Refunds applied for. 2 acknowledgedments of same received. But they are still sending me emails about vouchers.

Was your flight cancelled or did you decide not to fly?

Just a side issue, democracy requires candidates to stand for election. I think it's a bit harsh to describe a candidate who is not elected as a failed TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yes, cancelled a long time ago, but still in the future ( 16th April Dublin to Tenerife both claims), there was only 1 left at the lower fare so I took it and 1 at the next fare(+€30), hence 2 claims. My Ryanair claim is the outward leg also cancelled.
    Shane Ross is doing his best but he shouldn’t enact legislation to defraud Customers of their own money

• Advertisement

Yes, cancelled a long time ago, but still in the future ( 16th April Dublin to Tenerife both claims), there was only 1 left at the lower fare so I took it and 1 at the next fare(+€30), hence 2 claims. My Ryanair claim is the outward leg also cancelled.
    Shane Ross is doing his best but he shouldn’t enact legislation to defraud Customers of their own money

If they cancelled you are absolutely entitled to a refund.

No big deal about SR. I'm not a fan either just have respect for anyone who puts their name on a ballot paper.

"I'm not a fan either just have respect for anyone who puts their name on a ballot paper."

I also have the upmost respect for anyone who puts themselves before the electorate.

However SR at present represents nobody but himself.
    He is in a caretaker role.

I think he's got a bloody check telling me I should subsidise Michael O'Leary and Willie Walsh.

"I'm not a fan either just have respect for anyone who puts their name on a ballot paper."

I also have the upmost respect for anyone who puts themselves before the electorate.

However SR at present represents nobody but himself.
    He is in a caretaker role.

I think he's got a bloody check telling me I should subsidise Michael O'Leary and Willie Walsh.

I agree with you and I have read your posts on this topic with interest.

It's just a twist of fate that he's there at all and he should just keep the ship steady until a new Government is formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Wondering has anybody received a refund for flights that were cancelled by Ryanair?
    I was due to fly 22nd March to Malaga(Ryanair cancelled flights ) , I have gotten I think 3 emails advising of delays , please bear with us. I'm not interested in getting a voucher at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭rx8

Still nothing here either. Cancelled since 20th March. Also got the emails but want the cash at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mine cancelled same time, refund applied for 21st of March, no refund as yet, got an email 4 days ago saying my refund request is in a queue and will be processed but they've less staff and high demand etc etc. No offers of vouchers or anything telling me I'll have to wait until the crisis is over or anything like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Nothing yet - cancelled the 25th March - got emails about been in queue for refunds but no voucher offers yet.

dodgystats wrote: »
    Nothing yet - cancelled the 25th March - got emails about been in queue for refunds but no voucher offers yet.

Ryanair have said no refunds until Covid has abated... whatever that means.

"The emails tell passengers who “wish to request cash as an alternative” to a
    voucher that “as our payment agents are required to stay at home in the
    fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, payment security restrictions prevent
    us from processing cash refunds until the Covid-19 crisis has abated."

They can't issue refunds because Michael O'Leary's 300 programmers in his Ryanair Labs can't work out how to automatically process refunds.

I'm no hot shot but I reckon I could automate the refund process in 3 days tops.

1. Check booking information is valid.
    2. Check flight was cancelled.
    3. Send Refund.
    4. Problems or errors handle manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Not everyone is getting those emails though so their approach is different to different people. I haven't got any email from them telling me I can't have a refund or that I have to wait until the crisis is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Ryanair have said no refunds until Covid has abated... whatever that means.

"The emails tell passengers who “wish to request cash as an alternative” to a
    voucher that “as our payment agents are required to stay at home in the
    fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, payment security restrictions prevent
    us from processing cash refunds until the Covid-19 crisis has abated."

They can't issue refunds because Michael O'Leary's 300 programmers in his Ryanair Labs can't work out how to automatically process refunds.

I'm no hot shot but I reckon I could automate the refund process in 3 days tops.

1. Check booking information is valid.
    2. Check flight was cancelled.
    3. Send Refund.
    4. Problems or errors handle manually.

I didn't get a email with that detail - what I got and suspect most people recently got is:

As previously advised, our Customer Services Team are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests due to the COVID-19 crisis and we are prioritising our most vulnerable customers. This has been compounded by government public health restrictions on non-essential work travel which means we have less staff available to us during this busy time. Please rest assured your refund request is currently in the queue and will be processed. If you have selected new travel dates and would prefer to move your booking, please contact us

Funny enough, I booked car hire under the same reference and that was refunded the next day - i know its a seperate company but the right way to do refunds.

Advertisement