Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Doing my head in, it's like a rollercoaster up down up down ....

One day Im really positive - like Monday when the Oxford Vaccine was looking really good for late 2020/early 2021, then tuesday/wednesday I'm down again because of course you see on the media the naysayers that say earliest 2022 for a vaccine ... BBC saying it will last decades etc ...

So depressing and frustrating.

But sure Christ what's the point worrying about a vaccine, etc, that's out of our control, there might not but a vaccine for years, lunacy even thinking that way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,252 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Another bank holiday weekend incoming and its very much different than were used too. In order to get a pint in a pub you have order food and stay within a time limit. Then with this government we're chopping and changing every week and you don't knw what to believe

A pub is a social outlet for some and not good for the head when were told 'we will permit opening on this date' and then week before that date 'actually after careful consideration we are going to extend the opening date another few weeks' and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

This is the first week I've really started to feel quite stressed about everything. I know it's largely beyond my control, but it's a mixture of things that are just starting to really get to me and I don't really get the sense that there's a plan anymore.

We seemed to have serious difficulty getting a policy on masks rolled out and there was no reason for that other than some notion that it was a problem when it really wasn't.

Then we had the Green List which seems to be completely impractical nonsense. I mean why were countries like Greenland on it and a couple of micro states that you can only get to directly in a private jet or a yacht e.g. Monaco is only accessible via France, which isn't on the Green List.

Then you've this threatening language coming from Government about the pandemic unemployment protection payment. I'm not in receipt of it, but it's just really not coming across as very competent. Wasn't the point of that to keep the relationship between employers and employees in a furloughed situation? Now they're saying that those people should be seeking work. Does that mean that they should abandon their employers and that there's a sense now that those businesses are a lost cause and are going to go to the wall? That's how it's coming across to me.

Overall I'm just finding everything now turning into a chaos and stress and I also feel extremely cut off both from friends and from the broader world. I would tend to travel to the continent a lot in normal times and I haven't been able to go at all this year and I don't mean for holidays, I just mean visiting family and stuff and it's now starting to really, really get to me. I feel like I'm stuck on Craggy Island at times and Ireland's drifting off without any coordination with the rest of the EU.

Just first time I've found my blood pressure is gone way up. I'm stressed all the time and I'm getting really fed up with the routine and lack of opportunities to do anything.

Not much I can do about it, but the end of my tether is really being reached this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

GoneHome wrote: »
    A family member of mine (cousin) was in our area about six weeks ago and texted me to say she'd drop in for a quick coffee, I swiftly replied back "sorry we're not having anyone calling to the house due to the fear of Covid", she hasn't made contact since, not even a text but f&^k it I don't care, safety first.

Wouldn't it have been nice to give her a voice or video call to at least do the chat part?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,252 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feel over the edge

Not a pub worker but work in a similar grouping of phrase 4 but today's numbers are making me extremely nervous of continuous lock downs. Nice to have the government pay but rather be back in my job and have that routine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

GoneHome wrote: »
    A family member of mine (cousin) was in our area about six weeks ago and texted me to say she'd drop in for a quick coffee, I swiftly replied back "sorry we're not having anyone calling to the house due to the fear of Covid", she hasn't made contact since, not even a text but f&^k it I don't care, safety first.
    Good for you. Clearly a sensible move. I had to decline a couple of invitations at the start but now the people who actually matter are the ones I'm in touch with and the rest, who would put pressure on us to do things we're not comfortable with, have cut off contact. We regularly have people over out the back garden who are respectful of social distancing, or meet people in their gardens. Anybody who imposed on us hasn't been invited back.

The one outlier is my sibling, who really wants me to mind their children and is putting a huge amount of pressure on, calling and texting relentlessly. It's getting to the point where I don't want to be rude but I need to tell them to leave me alone because it's stressing me out so much. I would do my best to help them in any other circumstance, but we have other at-risk family who I look after and my sibling's family are not socially distancing or taking precautions at all, so there is no way I'm taking the risk right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Another bank holiday weekend incoming and its very much different than were used too. In order to get a pint in a pub you have order food and stay within a time limit. Then with this government we're chopping and changing every week and you don't knw what to believe

A pub is a social outlet for some and not good for the head when were told 'we will permit opening on this date' and then week before that date 'actually after careful consideration we are going to extend the opening date another few weeks' and so on

Find an open space and a good friend or two, sit well apart and go drink a big bag of cans. Good for the soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

s1ippy wrote: »
    Good for you. Clearly a sensible move. I had to decline a couple of invitations at the start but now the people who actually matter are the ones I'm in touch with and the rest, who would put pressure on us to do things we're not comfortable with, have cut off contact. We regularly have people over out the back garden who are respectful of social distancing, or meet people in their gardens. Anybody who imposed on us hasn't been invited back.

The one outlier is my sibling, who really wants me to mind their children and is putting a huge amount of pressure on, calling and texting relentlessly. It's getting to the point where I don't want to be rude but I need to tell them to leave me alone because it's stressing me out so much. I would do my best to help them in any other circumstance, but we have other at-risk family who I look after and my sibling's family are not socially distancing or taking precautions at all, so there is no way I'm taking the risk right now.

its very hard alright, alot of people act or make you feel like your a a freak and taking it too far. im not comfortable having people in my house .my sister would be out doing everything and wanting to bring her kids over . and i know her kids are saying that kids dont get it and cant spread it, which is giving mixed messages to my kids . we've met outdoors but it causes too many near arguments . also a few friends met up in a garden one night and a couple of us are fairly strict and at the end of the night when it came to walking home, 5 of them piled into a car after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

s1ippy wrote: »

Aren't you heading away with friends for the weekend? Hope it goes well for you. You need the break. Your family should be able to mind themselves for a few days. That's of course once they don't check the boot and see all your camping gear. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

This virus has effected many people with mental health issues. People with anxiety going into a shop and seeing massive signs and stickers in the ground telling what to do and were to go, doesn't help the anxiety nor does meeting people with masks on who panic if they meet you face on.
    This is bad for health all round, as it has created extra stress and worry on us all. The not knowing what the future will hold doesn't help. This whole thing has gotten out of hand and I fear things will never be the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,547 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don2012 wrote: »
    This virus has effected many people with mental health issues. People with anxiety going into a shop and seeing massive signs and stickers in the ground telling what to do and were to go, doesn't help the anxiety nor does meeting people with masks on who panic if they meet you face on.
    This is bad for health all round, as it has created extra stress and worry on us all. The not knowing what the future will hold doesn't help. This whole thing has gotten out of hand and I fear things will never be the same again.

All on the advice of science. I'd choose that over ignorance and illness/death any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It has got out of hand again. We are definitely in the second wave already. I am now aswell wondering when will this actually end, 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Beasty wrote: »
    Based on a suggestion by a poster I am starting a thread where we can share information and resources on mental health issues particularly given the stressful situations many people are finding themselves in. This virus will have adverse impacts not only on those it affects directly, but their loved ones, colleagues and friends. There will be a significant economic impact and many people will find themselves with money problems. There are also practical day to day things that people will have concerns over

This is not to discuss individual cases. It is for general discussion of mental health issues. While you can share your personal experiences, please do not request or offer specific advice on individual circumstances. I will sticky this thread

I am curious as to what these organizations do? i am aware of several suicides in the general catchment area where i live.
    I have never haerd of anyone from these organizations approaching any who was in dificulty and saying "are you alright?"
    Most people i know involved in my view are people that come from families where this has happened, there is also the fundraisers and the do-gooders.
    I be all in favour of doing things but it seems to me if someone wants to leave they will...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

fin12 wrote: »
    It has got out of hand again. We are definitely in the second wave already. I am now aswell wondering when will this actually end, 2 years?

Never, they want to destroy you, the country and the economy.

All on the advice of science. I'd choose that over ignorance and illness/death any day of the week.

That is YOUR opinion, MY opinion is we should be able to live our lives normally, not in fear of others. That is no way to live! not to mention really bad for a person's mental health, and believe me this is staying with us for years to come.

fin12 wrote: »

The fact that schools have been funded to get classrooms prepared for social distancing with schoolchildren. Shops and even restaurants/bars have changed their premises somewhat, tells me this is staying with us for years to come.

We have been told constantly "this is the new normal".
    Tubridy said on the late late a few months ago, "Coronavirus is going know where, it willing be with us forever and ever".
    Another one I heard a health official day "Coronavirus is going know where".

That is YOUR opinion, MY opinion is we should be able to live our lives normally, not in fear of others. That is no way to live! not to mention really bad for a person's mental health, and believe me this is staying with us for years to come.

Your statement is an oxymoron.

You simultaneously say that we should live our lives normally and that the virus is going to be with us for years to come?

Why do you think Italy, Spain, the UK and areas like New York saw massive daily deaths figures in March and April and how do you think they managed to lower those numbers?

I'm not responding to you at this point because you seem intent in being provocative across several threads over the last day or so but for others who read your posts and might think you have a point if they are unchallenged.

The same panicky feeling I had in March has returned. Its lower down this time so I'm able to keep a handle on it. I'm afraid. Living on a merry go round of impose/relax is hard for me. It's like being around a very volatile person and never knowing when they will explode.

I have my ways of coping though. I'm going to enjoy all of the freedoms we do have right now and try to stay present and hopeful. I will keep reminding myself that I survived the first few months and can do it all again.

I am curious as to what these organizations do? i am aware of several suicides in the general catchment area where i live.
    I have never haerd of anyone from these organizations approaching any who was in dificulty and saying "are you alright?"
    Most people i know involved in my view are people that come from families where this has happened, there is also the fundraisers and the do-gooders.
    I be all in favour of doing things but it seems to me if someone wants to leave they will...

What do you mean by organisations approaching people? Do you think say for example volunteers who work for The Samaritans will be able to look inside the hearts and minds of all of us and reach out and give help?

What do you mean by organisations approaching people? Do you think say for example volunteers who work for The Samaritans will be able to look inside the hearts and minds of all of us and reach out and give help?

I asked a simple question, what do they do?

There is nothing they can do i agree, funding yes....

• Advertisement

I asked a simple question, what do they do?

There is nothing they can do i agree, funding yes....

To look at just a few The Samaritans and Pieta House offer support and therapy if you are struggling. IACP and IAHIP are the regulatory bodies for psychotherapists and counsellors, if you would like to talk to a professional they have a directory. Childline and Teenline are for kids and teens who are struggling and need a listening ear.

If you look at their websites you will see in detail what they do.

I might not be understanding you though. When you say there is nothing they can do what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I am not aware of any statistics (yet) which support the COVID suicide spike some people have spoken of, but it hit home there at the weekend. Good friend of mine from college, who I only talked to at Christmas about his 18 month old, wrapped a towel around the bathroom door at the weekend. Recently lost his job and was apparently in a very tough spot with his finances. Hard to believe he’s gone but it has certainly changed the way I think about superficial questions about day to day things and instead trying to really reach out to people. Hard times hit people differently.

nj27 wrote: »
    I am not aware of any statistics (yet) which support the COVID suicide spike some people have spoken of, but it hit home there at the weekend. Good friend of mine from college, who I only talked to at Christmas about his 18 month old, wrapped a towel around the bathroom door at the weekend. Recently lost his job and was apparently in a very tough spot with his finances. Hard to believe he’s gone but it has certainly changed the way I think about superficial questions about day to day things and instead trying to really reach out to people. Hard times hit people differently.

Yep and the thing is, it's much easier to entirely isolate yourself and for nobody to notice at the moment. I've been lucky enough to have been working throughout and mental health wise I'm better than normal. But if I wasn't, it's far less likely to be spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Yep and the thing is, it's much easier to entirely isolate yourself and for nobody to notice at the moment. I've been lucky enough to have been working throughout and mental health wise I'm better than normal. But if I wasn't, it's far less likely to be spotted.

This is it. You can kind of ‘sign off’ on people based on their responses but if you ask a couple of more human questions than how are you (which is a question I bristled at many times) you might get a less generic answer. I know I wished I asked this guy if he needs some kind of dig out financially. That might have been what he really needed.

nj27 wrote: »
    This is it. You can kind of ‘sign off’ on people based on their responses but if you ask a couple of more human questions than how are you (which is a question I bristled at many times) you might get a less generic answer. I know I wished I asked this guy if he needs some kind of dig out financially. That might have been what he really needed.

It can be difficult to enough to help someone in financial trouble because your heart and your mind can often give very conflicting advice.

Also, and this is not to be viewed as being selfish but in order to help someone dealing with mental health issues, you must be able to ensure that you do not take on their burden but instead that hopefully, you can support them without it negatively impacting on your own situation.

Covid-19 is indeed having a serious impact on mental health, and will continue to have for a significant time frame probably but just offering to distract someone or acknowledge that this is a difficult can often be both all we can do and enough to actually help.

I wouldn't knock yourself for not offering money, there's only one person who knows for sure the root cause of the pain they suffered and unfortunately they can not give that answer but it could also have been that because of mental health issues, they no longer were able to deal with the financial issues and so any money issue might not have been the root cause, but just a symptom of an underlying problem.

It's always far too easy to ask yourself what if and it'll just haunt you. A friend of mine died natural causes a few years back but I had lost contact and even the loss of contact tended to hang over me somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm finding it unbearable - what a horrible world it has become - New Zealand had 4 cases today and the city of Aukland goes into lockdown - panic ensues , with panic buying in shops - this for a virus with a mortality rate of .3 - Back in March we were led believe the mortality rate would be above 1 % and the lockdown stratgy seamed necessary given what happened in China, North Italy and New York - The dreaded worldwide carnage thankfully has not happened to the levels I expected in places like India and Africa- and yet people are still terififed to leave ther home , and live, a friend of mine had heart attack symptoms and refused to go to hospital for fear of this virus - The ECDC are now reccomending Ireland go back to lockdown - we had no deaths and 35 new cases today of a virus with a mortality rate of .3 - Are we just going to destroy society - I have lost all my work since March , cant pay my rent - Thats what I'm ****ing worried about - but no one cares unless its Covid- What a horrible world it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,463 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm finding it unbearable - what a horrible world it has become - New Zealand had 4 cases today and the city of Aukland goes into lockdown - panic ensues , with panic buying in shops - this for a virus with a mortality rate of .3 - Back in March we were led believe the mortality rate would be above 1 % and the lockdown stratgy seamed necessary given what happened in China, North Italy and New York - The dreaded worldwide carnage thankfully has not happened to the levels I expected in places like India and Africa- and yet people are still terififed to leave ther home , and live, a friend of mine had heart attack symptoms and refused to go to hospital for fear of this virus - The ECDC are now reccomending Ireland go back to lockdown - we had no deaths and 35 new cases today of a virus with a mortality rate of .3 - Are we just going to destroy society - I have lost all my work since March , cant pay my rent - Thats what I'm ****ing worried about - but no one cares unless its Covid- What a horrible world it has become.

Lot's of people are in similar positions OP. If they dare moan about it they are told to get over themselves by somebody who's job is secure, they live on social welfare or have a pension and they've no real financial worries.

Lot's of people are in similar positions OP. If they dare moan about it they are told to get over themselves by somebody who's job is secure, they live on social welfare or have a pension and they've no real financial worries.

It can be difficult to hear people who appear to be doing well with the restrictions telling others to "suck it up". It shows a lack of empathy and understanding for our differences.
    I can see how the past few months suited so many, no long commutes, time spent with family, money saved, liking the quiet pace. I can see that.
    In the same way as I feel for those who can't go to a match or a big festival. It wouldn't be my thing at all but so what. I'm sad for those who can no longer enjoy them.

We are all in this together but as I posted previously, our boats are different. Please Gods we will all come out the other end.

• Advertisement

To look at just a few The Samaritans and Pieta House offer support and therapy if you are struggling. IACP and IAHIP are the regulatory bodies for psychotherapists and counsellors, if you would like to talk to a professional they have a directory. Childline and Teenline are for kids and teens who are struggling and need a listening ear.

If you look at their websites you will see in detail what they do.

I might not be understanding you though. When you say there is nothing they can do what do you mean?

The people i know suport each other as most have personal family experience difficulty, i cannot say more.
    I think what i see is all about them getting together raising funds and being involved, they not professionals though they say all they do without training they little help except for funding.
    I do not need to look at their sites i know what they do...

Advertisement