Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,547 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The people i know suport each other as most have personal family experience difficulty, i cannot say more.
    I think what i see is all about them getting together raising funds and being involved, they not professionals though they say all they do without training they little help except for funding.
    I do not need to look at their sites i know what they do...

To be fair, you asked here what do they do.

The perception of how these groups work, or the people within them can be very different from the reality. This can be both in good and bad ways, good as in sometimes just non-judgemental willingness to listen can really help someone to offload and bad as in there is no guaranteed easy fix and some might feel frustrated if they do not receive clear easy guidance which will be successful.

They best way to find out is to engage with an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

It can be difficult to enough to help someone in financial trouble because your heart and your mind can often give very conflicting advice.

Also, and this is not to be viewed as being selfish but in order to help someone dealing with mental health issues, you must be able to ensure that you do not take on their burden but instead that hopefully, you can support them without it negatively impacting on your own situation.

Covid-19 is indeed having a serious impact on mental health, and will continue to have for a significant time frame probably but just offering to distract someone or acknowledge that this is a difficult can often be both all we can do and enough to actually help.

I wouldn't knock yourself for not offering money, there's only one person who knows for sure the root cause of the pain they suffered and unfortunately they can not give that answer but it could also have been that because of mental health issues, they no longer were able to deal with the financial issues and so any money issue might not have been the root cause, but just a symptom of an underlying problem.

Thanks man, and i think that's a fair assessment. It's hard to get out of the if and or but mentality for the time being but as you said there is a lot of pain and history behind things like this. One thing is for sure, I'm not going to ignore my instincts next time I get that kind of vibe from a friend or loved. It might not be something I have a handle on but I know it's better to have a helping hand in reach than an anonymous and unemotional wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

To be fair, you asked here what do they do.

The perception of how these groups work, or the people within them can be very different from the reality. This can be both in good and bad ways, good as in sometimes just non-judgemental willingness to listen can really help someone to offload and bad as in there is no guaranteed easy fix and some might feel frustrated if they do not receive clear easy guidance which will be successful.

They best way to find out is to engage with an open mind.

The reason i asked what do they do is?
    I thought there was a possibility there were things happening that i was not aware of but it seems not.
    I have an open mind and i think i know what i am about.

The reason i asked what do they do is?
    I thought there was a possibility there were things happening that i was not aware of but it seems not.
    I have an open mind and i think i know what i am about.

What would you like those organisations to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,463 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's having a massive negative effect on older people. They are a good few people locally and they seem petrified to be out in public now. There was one man who used pop to the shop for his few bit everyday but the shop insisted on delivering to his door and he's now in a psychiatric hospital. He'd have loved chat and people.
    Not trying to be negative I'd be concerned about people for the Winter months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Does anyone have recommendations for counselling in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations for counselling in the Dublin area?

This is a nationwide one.

They do online counseling as-well

https://mymind.org/

What would you like those organisations to do?

I do not really want to get into this as everything i say be general and i do not like to critize.
    The post just after yours is a perfect example of what i am thinking....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's having a massive negative effect on older people. They are a good few people locally and they seem petrified to be out in public now. There was one man who used pop to the shop for his few bit everyday but the shop insisted on delivering to his door and he's now in a psychiatric hospital. He'd have loved chat and people.
    Not trying to be negative I'd be concerned about people for the Winter months.

This is so sad. But did folk not phone him etc? ALONE is an organisation for old folk who can befriend by phone etc. and can visit, They are skilled at this and can make a real difference.

And now they are able to be out, to accompany them? Take them for a walk etc,

Maybe it is up to the wider community?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has anyone experience of attending counseling re an eating disorder?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    This is so sad. But did folk not phone him etc? ALONE is an organisation for old folk who can befriend by phone etc. and can visit, They are skilled at this and can make a real difference.

And now they are able to be out, to accompany them? Take them for a walk etc,

Maybe it is up to the wider community?

He had friends who phoned him, etc.
    However he was a man that was used to been out everyday of the week.
    A phone call is grand for a few days but not for people like him over a period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The combination of not traveling abroad this year for summer vacation and the weather here have been absolutely decimating. Yes 1 or 2 days out trips have been nice, but its not a replacement for sun and warmth.

The fact that September and even worse weather is around the corner....its like going 12 rounds with a heavyweight boxer, and then being told you must do another 12 immediately right after against Mike Tyson in his prime. I know not many people are happy right now in general, but this combo has definitely hit me harder than most others I've talked to. Mental state in pitch black darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

I suffered a hugely traumatic event just before xmas that led to me losing my home at the end of January. I moved to a small place alone and then a month later covid came. I still have a job and work from home. Since covid started I have been alone. I have no family and while I do have friends, they are busy with their own families.

Its had a very negative effect on my mental health. I have thought it would be best if I was dead many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

hayoc wrote: »
    I suffered a hugely traumatic event just before xmas that led to me losing my home at the end of January. I moved to a small place alone and then a month later covid came. I still have a job and work from home. Since covid started I have been alone. I have no family and while I do have friends, they are busy with their own families.

Its had a very negative effect on my mental health. I have thought it would be best if I was dead many times.

I am sorry you are going through this and although it is probably not helpful I can truly empathise as I am somewhat in a similar situation. It is very difficult.

The_Brood wrote: »
    The combination of not traveling abroad this year for summer vacation and the weather here have been absolutely decimating. Yes 1 or 2 days out trips have been nice, but its not a replacement for sun and warmth.

The fact that September and even worse weather is around the corner....its like going 12 rounds with a heavyweight boxer, and then being told you must do another 12 immediately right after against Mike Tyson in his prime. I know not many people are happy right now in general, but this combo has definitely hit me harder than most others I've talked to. Mental state in pitch black darkness.

Go abroad if you wish, just be careful where you stay. Aeroplanes are quite safe and compulsory to wear face masks, you can wear gloves if you wish.

I am sorry you are going through this and although it is probably not helpful I can truly empathise as I am somewhat in a similar situation. It is very difficult.

Thank you. I am sorry you are going through a difficult situation too.

For me personally, the trauma I suffered would still be terrible even if we didnt have to deal with the pandemic at the same time.

But it has definitely been magnified by the pandemic and all the uncertainty that comes with that.

There are no good days for me now. I am completely overwhelmed everyday. Sometimes it becomes too much and I suffer depersonalisation where I become detached and feel numb. Those are better days. My reality has become so painful that I do not want to be in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Go abroad if you wish, just be careful where you stay. Aeroplanes are quite safe and compulsory to wear face masks, you can wear gloves if you wish.

I've been warned of negative consequences by my employer if I travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

For me personally, the trauma I suffered would still be terrible even if we didnt have to deal with the pandemic at the same time.

But it has definitely been magnified by the pandemic and all the uncertainty that comes with that.

There are no good days for me now. I am completely overwhelmed everyday. Sometimes it becomes too much and I suffer depersonalisation where I become detached and feel numb. Those are better days. My reality has become so painful that I do not want to be in it.

Again similar. I think Covid has amplified situations for many people or created new situations for those that may not have had many difficulties.

You are not alone and yes I know those words are empty having had them said to me on several ocassions but I hope you will take them as they are intended from someone who I think understands quite a bit what you may be feeling.

I don't pray but I am sending you strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The past week I have noticed the mental toll of Covid really taking a toll - for me personally and so many people I know - the bad weather didn't help , on-going unclear nanny state direction , the onset of winter will really push people over the edge with on-going queues to shops, mask wearing and oncoming recession of all recessions. Its like a dream / nightmare that just keeps going on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am sorry to hear this and sincerely hope that you will be ok. Better days might yet turn up.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

fin12 wrote: »
    Has anyone experience of attending counseling re an eating disorder?

Somebody here sent me to my mind.org.

They seem to have a good range of therapists, hopefully you get something sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭alentejo

Am really dreading this Winter. Looks like Christmas will be awful this year. I have always been a person "glass half full" person however for the first time in my life I am looking at things negativity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Do doctors take mental health seriously with all that's going on? Thinking about going out from work sick. I have a real sh!tty employer who's not looking after us, I can't put my health at risk.

Do doctors take mental health seriously with all that's going on? Thinking about going out from work sick. I have a real sh!tty employer who's not looking after us, I can't put my health at risk.

Mine takes mental health VERY seriously.

If you are seeing a doctor who doesnt, then I would recommend you find a new doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have booked a hotel near family for Christmas. Staying over in their house may not be possible depending on the next few Months but now I have something to look forward to. Hopefully we won’t need it but it’s there in the back of my mind and we have free cancellation until Dec 1st. Recommend it for anyone who is living a long way from family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Somebody here sent me to my mind.org.

They seem to have a good range of therapists, hopefully you get something sorted.

I can recommend citytherapy.ie

Best wishes to everyone here who is struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

What's all this talk about winter? We haven't even got into Autumn yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,222 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sadly, winter is peak mental health issues, and our services are already struggling, this winter could be really bad for the sector

People know it's just around the corner and we won't have a debate on the matter but some people consider August Autumn.
    People know that the evenings are getting darker now and Once October sets in the evenings are gone and then the clocks go back.
    The weather also isn't going to get better and meeting people outside will become less possible.
    There's also Christmas to think about and visiting, etc won't be possible for some this year.
    PS. I don't mean to be negative.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Been so stressed out during the week. My workplace is a disaster waiting to happen and I don't want to be a part of it. Employees have been doing what they always done, and that's getting close to each other and no face masks. Workplace is just waiting for the HSE to make face masks mandatory!!!

I rang my doctor on Thursday morning to make an appointment to go out sick. But received a new job offer an hour later. A job that has employees wearing masks and they didn't need the HSE to tell them.

I ran so quickly from my job, I didn't even give them notice. Just hypocritical of me to work a notice in an environment I wasn't safe in. Just hope they wake up and do something before things get bad.

Advertisement