Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,213 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Been so stressed out during the week. My workplace is a disaster waiting to happen and I don't want to be a part of it. Employees have been doing what they always done, and that's getting close to each other and no face masks. Workplace is just waiting for the HSE to make face masks mandatory!!!

I rang my doctor on Thursday morning to make an appointment to go out sick. But received a new job offer an hour later. A job that has employees wearing masks and they didn't need the HSE to tell them.

I ran so quickly from my job, I didn't even give them notice. Just hypocritical of me to work a notice in an environment I wasn't safe in. Just hope they wake up and do something before things get bad.

Good job.. notice is more or less a professional courtecy.. but if your employer is unwilling to provide you with a safe work enviroment in which to work and earn a living that will also enable the health and safety of your family... fùck them and the horse they rode in on...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Went for a casual browse on Instagram there and my story feed is full to the brim of people not social distancing, in bars and in houses. Nothing outrageous like but still just not good enough IMO. I’m sick of obeying all the guidelines to a “T” and then going on social media to see people - even some of my closest friends - being irresponsible and broadcasting the fact that they are doing so!!

It makes me so angry and resentful. I was having such a lovely day and now I’m just filled with anger. I’m afraid of saying anything cos I don’t want to look like the moral police here, but it’s just becoming so, so frustrating. The same people who a few weeks ago were so strict with themselves have just thrown caution to the wind and are now on top of each other in crowded indoor spaces and I’m still the one making sacrifices.

Sorry for emotive post but I didn’t know where else to put this.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Goose76 wrote: »
    Went for a casual browse on Instagram there and my story feed is full to the brim of people not social distancing, in bars and in houses. Nothing outrageous like but still just not good enough IMO. I’m sick of obeying all the guidelines to a “T” and then going on social media to see people - even some of my closest friends - being irresponsible and broadcasting the fact that they are doing so!!

It makes me so angry and resentful. I was having such a lovely day and now I’m just filled with anger. I’m afraid of saying anything cos I don’t want to look like the moral police here, but it’s just becoming so, so frustrating. The same people who a few weeks ago were so strict with themselves have just thrown caution to the wind and are now on top of each other in crowded indoor spaces and I’m still the one making sacrifices.

If nothing else you got your feelings down and I hope you feel better for it. It must be very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think that the best thing for you would be to uninstall Instagram if it has that adverse effect on your state of mind.

If nothing else you got your feelings down and I hope you feel better for it. It must be very frustrating.

It did help, thank you :)
    blackbox wrote: »
    I think that the best thing for you would be to uninstall Instagram if it has that adverse effect on your state of mind.

I have uninstalled it yes, and it has helped.

• Advertisement

It did help, thank you :)

I have uninstalled it yes, and it has helped.

I hope you're doing ok :)

Thanks for all the helpful responses, this thread is so lovely :)

I'm doing so much better. Uninstalled Facebook and Instagram and feeling so much better. I did this at the start of the pandemic as well due to anxiety but as I began to feel better over time, I installed them again:rolleyes::o More fool me!

Feel better now with them gone and it frees up so much time in the day doing much more productive and healthier things. I wasn't even a heavy user of the apps but even your 30-40 mins a day on social media eats up into your time and mental space so much.

To digress a bit, I remember attending a seminar a while back about social media and the distractions of phones etc and they said that a lot of the time-wasting elements of phone usage come not just from the time you spend on the phone/app itself but also from the way your subconscious churns over all the information and opinions you see on those apps for up to an hour after you stop using them. It may explain why myself and others feel like they have so much more 'mental space' when taking a social media detox.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,454 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's known I'm not it's biggest fan but I'd recommend giving The Late Late Show a miss for a good while. It will probably be very Covid related and dreary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thanks for all the helpful responses, this thread is so lovely :)

I'm doing so much better. Uninstalled Facebook and Instagram and feeling so much better. I did this at the start of the pandemic as well due to anxiety but as I began to feel better over time, I installed them again:rolleyes::o More fool me!

Feel better now with them gone and it frees up so much time in the day doing much more productive and healthier things. I wasn't even a heavy user of the apps but even your 30-40 mins a day on social media eats up into your time and mental space so much.

To digress a bit, I remember attending a seminar a while back about social media and the distractions of phones etc and they said that a lot of the time-wasting elements of phone usage come not just from the time you spend on the phone/app itself but also from the way your subconscious churns over all the information and opinions you see on those apps for up to an hour after you stop using them. It may explain why myself and others feel like they have so much more 'mental space' when taking a social media detox.

I hardly never go on Facebook because anytime I do, it usually makes me feel very depressed after . It’s called Fakebook for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

People know it's just around the corner and we won't have a debate on the matter but some people consider August Autumn.
    People know that the evenings are getting darker now and Once October sets in the evenings are gone and then the clocks go back.
    The weather also isn't going to get better and meeting people outside will become less possible.
    There's also Christmas to think about and visiting, etc won't be possible for some this year.
    PS. I don't mean to be negative.

Are YOU OK? I am reading the thread all at once and yes, your posts are negative. Reread this post? It is concerning, makes depressing reading,

Re the old man earlier? We all and each have it in us to adapt to things. It is not all over when something bad happens. it needs help from others; hence my reference to ALONE who are experts at this. Did you look at that?

I know this from my own long and painful experience and I am OLD. It is possible to adapt. To accept and move forward. To "make the best " of a hard situation. To help others to do that too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Unfortunately the world is full of people like that. They pretend they care but really they don't, it's all about the self.

Cut them loose and move on and develop some real friends who hold values similar to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think we're in for an extremely bleak winter. Perhaps I'm extrapolating from my own situation - I have signs of SAD already which is much earlier than usual. My personal circumstances have also changed this year and part of that is due to Covid, I have left work to become a carer. While l've never been a particularly sociable type, I now have barely any social contact at all.

Even if I was in work, I'm told by colleagues that it is a cold atmosphere and that there is ongoing bad feeling due to people being dragged back into the office while they were still worried about Covid and having logistical difficulties with childcare.

Covid hit us at a "perfect" time to minimise mental health issue. Spring is always an optimistic time of year for me and this year the weather was some of the best we've ever seen. Summer wasn't good in terms of weather but still, 16+ hour days etc.

Mention of the effect of winter on Americans in this article
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/06/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad-coronavirus-americans

We're at a more northerly latitude than the US so a bigger difference between summer and winter day lengths here.

The usual outlets that people use to get through winter and deal with economic problems are not going to be there in their previous form.

The stress of the situation is going to take a long time to resolve, even though some people have a blase attitude to physical distancing, there are others that are going to be scared to go within 2 metres of another human being for the foreseeable future.

Summer 2021 is also going to be far from normal. The Acting CMO is already talking about a 9 month plan, that takes us up to next summer. Even though it's good that there is apparently a plan, I must admit that I felt some despair when I heard that.

The media will milk it of course, I'd say RTE is gagging for some bad winter weather to add to the situation. The list of storm names already made the news. So now we get a story about storm names before we've even had a storm, reminding everyone that winter and potential storm damage, loss of life, flooding etc. is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daqu1234

get in sky movies, have plenty of baths, spoil yourself, learn to enjoy.

People know it's just around the corner and we won't have a debate on the matter but some people consider August Autumn.
    People know that the evenings are getting darker now and Once October sets in the evenings are gone and then the clocks go back.
    The weather also isn't going to get better and meeting people outside will become less possible.
    There's also Christmas to think about and visiting, etc won't be possible for some this year.
    PS. I don't mean to be negative.

It's going to be difficult, there is no doubt about it.

Seek out people who can support you and don't devalue your feelings but listen and are there for you.

PM if you need to chat although I'm not logged in much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,454 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's going to be difficult, there is no doubt about it.

Seek out people who can support you and don't devalue your feelings but listen and are there for you.

PM if you need to chat although I'm not logged in much these days.

I'm happy. I like the dark Autumn,Winter evenings ,colder days, etc far more than Summer. .January's a bit dull after Christmas.

I was writing about how some people might find it and being realistic in my posts.

I'm happy. I like the dark Autumn,Winter evenings ,colder days, etc far more than Summer. .January's a bit dull after Christmas.

I was writing about how some people might find it and being realistic in my posts.

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I'm in a terrible place at the moment. Just as things were starting to look up and I felt confident enough to meet up with friends a couple of times and go on some long walks around London, looks like it's going downhill again. I'm not sure how much I can cope with anymore. I felt like life was finally starting to look up for me after years of struggling, and I barely even got one whole good year before this all kicked off.

It's just not being able to use ANY of my coping mechanisms at all. No popping over to see friends in other cities, most of my London friends don't want to go to a pub or anywhere, I don't feel safe at the gym. I feel like there's just nowhere to go and nothing to do because of the nature of the pandemic. I'm trying my best to see the enforced time alone/indoors as a positive and improve my coding skills, practise some of my languages, save money and be in the best possible position for when this is 'over' but it is so, so hard to have the motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm in a terrible place at the moment. Just as things were starting to look up and I felt confident enough to meet up with friends a couple of times and go on some long walks around London, looks like it's going downhill again. I'm not sure how much I can cope with anymore. I felt like life was finally starting to look up for me after years of struggling, and I barely even got one whole good year before this all kicked off.

It's just not being able to use ANY of my coping mechanisms at all. No popping over to see friends in other cities, most of my London friends don't want to go to a pub or anywhere, I don't feel safe at the gym. I feel like there's just nowhere to go and nothing to do because of the nature of the pandemic. I'm trying my best to see the enforced time alone/indoors as a positive and improve my coding skills, practise some of my languages, save money and be in the best possible position for when this is 'over' but it is so, so hard to have the motivation.

I discovered this rather good 2019 Lyric FM series yesterday with the ever excellent Liz Nolan. It's overall topic is Music and the Mind and it explores the use of music in various aspects of our lives, with, of course, a fine selection of classical music mostly including a live orchestra.

https://soundcloud.com/rtelyricfm/sets/music-and-the-mind-series-on

One of the contributors works at the Mindfulness and Relaxation Centre at Beaumont Hospital and there is a good collection of exercises here.

http://www.beaumont.ie/marc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Does anyone else feel like the pandemic is just causing a sense of "waiting"?

But I dont even know what Im waiting for. Its like I feel like life is on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Lately it feels like we're on a sinking ship, ive no faith in the current government to protect anyone during this crisis let alone the old and vulnerable, the economy is more important than lives or health care. So sick of seeing fear mongering headlines and stories about how 'covid destroys you' and it takes months to recover - What is the point in reporting this when nothing is being done to stop the spread besides wearing masks that aren't even working. Then theres covid deniers and anti vaxxers, people throwing house parties and behaving like its a big joke or a government conspiracy.
    Im so worried about high risk family members who are working closely with confirmed or suspected covid cases and thinking about all the things that can go wrong if my parents caught it and became very ill, I wont be able to pay their mortgage and bills. What if one or both of them died? I cant afford funeral costs. I dont want to see them sick or dying!
    Terrified of the health system becoming overwhelmed and hundreds or thousands of people dying or being left with lifelong health problems. Our health system is deplorable at the best of times. I know and have heard of so many people who have gone into a local hospital over the years with non life threatening problems only to catch something in hospital and die or a doctor making a mistake causing and them to die or become seriously ill. I hate the thoughts of my parents going into that hospital.

I feel like life is on hold, afraid to meet friends and really missing spontaneity, even just having chats with random strangers in pubs. Cant help feeling lonely and despondent.
    I can really relate to lainey_d_123, after years of a difficult circumstance that massively affected my mental health and social life, last year nothing short of a miracle happened and my situation changed, felt like life was beginning then this hit and feel like im back at square one. It feels like life is slipping past. In a constant state of anxiety and dread while trying to stay positive and the dark evenings, overcast days and living in a town that is depressing most of the time regardless of whats going on, none of it is helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hayoc wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like the pandemic is just causing a sense of "waiting"?

But I dont even know what Im waiting for. Its like I feel like life is on hold.
    It's probably because all of our planning to date has been in 2-3 cycles. With a 6-9 month "roadmap" coming soon it may reset our perception to a longer view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Firstly, you are not alone in feeling this way, and it is good that you have acknowledged the effects that this situation is having on your life at the moment.
    Secondly you have reached out in a different way for advice by posting here, which in itself is trying a new way, to find new ways of coping.

Sometimes having had a bad time then finally getting things back going good... that is suddenly taking away from you in this case by the pandemic and all that surrounds it seems even worse, but try and look at it, even though it is hard, as a new challenge which you can over come, you have skills from the first time when you found the above original coping mechanisms and have added to recently, with the coding and languages.

life is always changing and we all need to sometimes re-access what makes our mental health healthy.
    If you are really getting down and stressed connect with those in the medical profession via phone/email/post that helped you last time.

had a quick look, maybe this might help as it is for london

https://www.london.gov.uk/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-looking-after-your-mental-health
    May the road rise with you
    Go n-eiri an bothar leat

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

nj27 wrote: »
    I am not aware of any statistics (yet) which support the COVID suicide spike some people have spoken of, but it hit home there at the weekend. Good friend of mine from college, who I only talked to at Christmas about his 18 month old, wrapped a towel around the bathroom door at the weekend. Recently lost his job and was apparently in a very tough spot with his finances. Hard to believe he’s gone but it has certainly changed the way I think about superficial questions about day to day things and instead trying to really reach out to people. Hard times hit people differently.

Jesus that is tragic, 18 month old an all. God it must be tough for lots of people indeed. Sincere condolences for your mate. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's probably because all of our planning to date has been in 2-3 cycles. With a 6-9 month "roadmap" coming soon it may reset our perception to a longer view.

I worry that many of the changes are just here to stay forever. Like after 9/11 when the airports introduced tighter security and no liquids to be brought through - then that just stayed.

I wonder if things will ever go back to "before".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

hayoc wrote: »
    I worry that many of the changes are just here to stay forever. Like after 9/11 when the airports introduced tighter security and no liquids to be brought through - then that just stayed.

I wonder if things will ever go back to "before".

There has been thousands of pandemics much worse than this that have all come and gone, ive no doubt that Covid will be no different. It's just a question of When?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

It's just not being able to use ANY of my coping mechanisms at all. No popping over to see friends in other cities, most of my London friends don't want to go to a pub or anywhere, I don't feel safe at the gym.

I understand where you are coming from - I'm healthy and not overly concerned about Covid, but I met up with a group of friends last week in a pub for some food and a couple of drinks, and it took me a long time to settle into it, I wouldn't be someone who suffered from social anxiety to any great extent before.

It's normal to feel unsafe or anxious in these situations, after being cooped up for months, but we have to live too.

I'd say pick one of the "safer" things you used to do, and persevere. You will get used to it again. You mighn't enjoy it the first or second time, but you'll get there.

From talking to friends and colleagues, most feel the same to varying extents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I have found that gardening, watching movies, reading book helps with suppressing all this covid craziness.
    Taking your mind off that by avoiding news and doom prophecies helps a lot to have a peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

is_that_so wrote: »
    I discovered this rather good 2019 Lyric FM series yesterday with the ever excellent Liz Nolan. It's overall topic is Music and the Mind and it explores the use of music in various aspects of our lives, with, of course, a fine selection of classical music mostly including a live orchestra.

https://soundcloud.com/rtelyricfm/sets/music-and-the-mind-series-on

One of the contributors works at the Mindfulness and Relaxation Centre at Beaumont Hospital and there is a good collection of exercises here.

http://www.beaumont.ie/marc

I find Lyric FM great, I listen to it a lot, just music, no talking about covid, I love George Hamilton's show ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I find Lyric FM great, I listen to it a lot, just music, no talking about covid, I love George Hamilton's show ..

I agree, I actually switched over to Marty in the Morning this morning, because I had Morning Ireland on and it was just all bad news - I finally had enough of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thought I'd post here cause I think I need the support. Like everyone I'm finding this whole thing tough. We lost a family member and a close friend to Covid during the year, the family member was elderly and had long term health issues so it wasn't a huge shock but our friend was an otherwise healthy 50 year old and it just floored us. I just miss him terribly and wasn't able to attend the funeral and that's had an impact too...I don't feel like I got closure.

I'm still working and grateful to be so but working in social care with vulnerable people is extremely challenging at the moment. It feels like we are fighting a losing battle with hygiene and I am starting to dread going into work. Added to this I have two people at home with a chronic illness and another child referred to mental health services with his own anxiety.

We have a great workplace therapy scheme here but its inundated with requests for support. All this reads very negative, I've a lot to be grateful for but I've had a week of it with various things and just need to verbally vomit it all out.

Advertisement