Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

How much was your stay ?

Well it depends on what insurance cover you have. I was in for anxiety and depression the other illness can be more expensive like rehab or ED in patient .. mine worked out I think around 750 a day.

My outpatient stuff was -

3.5 hour assessment for eating disorder diagnoses with a nurse, dietician and head ED consultant - 600 euro

CBT for eating disorder - 150 euro an hour for session. It's 75 for now on my VHI. I get free appointments with my dietician.

Think my stay in pats was around 68000/70000. Cause I didn't have full insurance my parents paid 17000 grand when I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,252 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think we will see this becoming a bigger problem in the next few weeks. The longer these restrictions stay in place the worse mental health will suffer

Starting to feel pissed off at this stage, same walks/routine everyday and not possible to go anywhere else due to the restrictions. I was due to get an austism assessment this month but that is getting pushed back (I was offered to do it through skype but no way something that important done in that format)

I'm doing my weights/body exercises which is a positive but is repetitive. Doing a few online quizzes and looking at a few courses on ecollege

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭motionwaves

Think my stay in pats was around 68000/70000. Cause I didn't have full insurance my parents paid 17000 grand when I left.

This reads 68K/70K. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Anytime I've been there it works out close to 30k a month. From what I've seen, most patients stay anywhere from 1-3 months at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Any ideas for being unable to sleep during this?

I'm just not sleeping properly at all since it kicked off and more so since the 'lockdown.'

I've had no stress at home or anything like that, but I'm just becoming a total insomniac.

Xertz wrote: »

I'm just not sleeping properly at all since it kicked off and more so since the 'lockdown.'

I've had no stress at home or anything like that, but I'm just becoming a total insomniac.

Same boat as u and even taking sleep tablets

I'm not going to sleep til 4.30am each night this not getting out of bed til 2pm. Waking up a few times

I'm excersing during the days. Could be possibly energy drinks I'm consuming

That's why I wrote 68000/70000... lol. But my dad paid around 17000 my insurance covered the rest. If you've full insurance you dont have to pay any of it.

Anytime I've been there it works out close to 30k a month. From what I've seen, most patients stay anywhere from 1-3 months at a time.

Yep depends on the patient. I had prof fearon at the time and he told me minimum 12 weeks and I was there just over 13. Man knows everything lol

Depends on what level and illness you have it's around 21 thousand for depression / anxiety cause it was 750 a day for me.

I had insomnia as a teen so I have to use my old trick. And it always works but isn't healthy.

So my sister and I were both up til 7 or 8 am then sleeping til 4pm daily for 2 weeks lol. So last week we stayed up an entire night and didn't nap and went to bed at 9pm. Full reset our body clocks been going at 11 or 12 since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Ireland are now 13th in the world for deaths per capita. taking out the micro countries we are 10th

That's frightening

I knew 3-4 weeks ago that the infrastructure of our health system wouldn't handle this. Nor would the government act fast enough

I've friends in three different countries who are dealing with this 5 times better and looked into living in one of them (I've lived in two of them previously) for as long as I could get a visa there

With closed borders all over the world (and for a long time), that ship has passed

Now every day my anxiety grows to scary levels and my mental health is on its knees

On one hand: this subforum is helping me be a lot more vigilant about all this, when many are like sleepwalking zombies who are completely unaware of how serious this is

On the other: All the daily information has me absolutely mentally fried

I'm an information junkie though, always have been. I always need to know as much as possible about anything as severe as this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It's worth remembering that the current death rate would likely be relating to policies from 14+ days ago, when we were not on a real lock down and many people weren't taking things as seriously as now.

So, you could see a decline when those measures start to show up in the numbers of people actually developing symptoms. There's always going to be a lag of a few weeks.

We're pretty much in line with countries like Denmark and so on, so I don't think we're necessarily handling it that badly, rather we are where we are geographically and that's how it got here.

I actually think the HSE has been doing remarkably well. We still have ICU capacity and it hasn't, at least yet, been overwhelmed. It also added a huge amount of capacity by just pulling out all the stops. They've rolled out pretty competent telemedicine apps and all sorts of things. I'm actually surprisingly somewhat impressed with what it's capable of doing when it's all-hands-on-deck and everyone willing to just get on with it.

Closing the borders might have made sense a month ago, but when you've 1.3 million Irish people making trips to just say Spain in an average year, you can see why the fact we're an island is irrelevant. We're one of the most connected places on the planet, as is much of Europe and the US. I mean, you can't really compare Ireland with say New Zealand in terms of connectedness. We're far, far, far less remote.

In a lot of those places it's a hell of a lot easier to lock down aviation as almost all of the international aspects are long-haul. We've a vast network of short haul flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Does anyone else live on their own? Normally I really love it but now the reality of not seeing/talking to a single "actual" real person (not videos, phone etc.) for the past 3-4 weeks is starting to hit me - how are other people who live by themselves coping with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Does anyone else live on their own? Normally I really love it but now the reality of not seeing/talking to a single "actual" real person (not videos, phone etc.) for the past 3-4 weeks is starting to hit me - how are other people who live by themselves coping with this?

Lots of phone calls and texting. I make sure to get up and dressed and out for a walk every day, there are plenty out walking in my area so even though I don't interact with them it's good to see other human beings!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Lots of phone calls and texting. I make sure to get up and dressed and out for a walk every day, there are plenty out walking in my area so even though I don't interact with them it's good to see other human beings!

Thanks Foweva! I do find that helps a bit though sometimes it feels like everybody is out walking with somebody else/couples/family etc. and it sometimes makes you feel like you're the only person on your own! Easter is probably making things worse and it will be better come Tuesday (never thought I'd say that! :D:D)

3 more weeks of this

Challenge has gone up a notch

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

I'm going to snap.

On Thursday 12th March 2020, I was told to empty my locker, get my toolbox and leave until further notice from my training center. On Friday 13th March I was due to start my Theory 1 paper. My employer closed their doors to the public and have an emergency only service in place where only 2 technicians are required for those in dire need.

What happens to my progress? 2019 was the hardest thing I've had to go through, I took the plunge, left a well paying but mind-numbing job where I had zero joy, I decided to re-skill, found something I'm good at and I enjoy but had to use all of my savings to survive, I've put a massive strain on everyone around me, my GF, My family, my friends, I'm on a pay-scale that is an absolute joke to to SIMI setting the apprentice rates and now my training and progress has come to a complete standstill.

I can't see my own family, I've been holed up this entire time and now I find out the extension is til May 5th?

2020 was looking good, but honestly now, I don't know how I can continue on the path I'm currently stood in. Anybody else in a similar situation?

I need to rant so thanks to whoever has took the time to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,547 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm going to snap.

On Thursday 12th March 2020, I was told to empty my locker, get my toolbox and leave until further notice from my training center. On Friday 13th March I was due to start my Theory 1 paper. My employer closed their doors to the public and have an emergency only service in place where only 2 technicians are required for those in dire need.

What happens to my progress? 2019 was the hardest thing I've had to go through, I took the plunge, left a well paying but mind-numbing job where I had zero joy, I decided to re-skill, found something I'm good at and I enjoy but had to use all of my savings to survive, I've put a massive strain on everyone around me, my GF, My family, my friends, I'm on a pay-scale that is an absolute joke to to SIMI setting the apprentice rates and now my training and progress has come to a complete standstill.

I can't see my own family, I've been holed up this entire time and now I find out the extension is til May 5th?

2020 was looking good, but honestly now, I don't know how I can continue on the path I'm currently stood in. Anybody else in a similar situation?

I need to rant so thanks to whoever has took the time to read.

Hope the rant helped son.of.jimi. It can be good to get things off your chest.

These are extraordinary times, but the wheel is always turning and some day we will start getting things back on track. IF you had stayed in that mind-numbing job, you might still be struggling right now, and what would be in prospect would be returning to that.

The day will come when you will be qualified in your new role, earning decent money and doing something that gives you joy. It might seem like a long way off right now, but when that day comes, it will feel sweeter for having struggled to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Hang in there man

And I say that as someone who's had some very dark days over the last month with all this. I've needed to say the same thing to myself many times: "hang on in there"

I'm looking into CBD oil to help with anxiety and maybe you could too. I think it was mentioned in this thread a few pages back. It'd be great if anyone could remind us of the best brands of it, I believe the highest quality of it is around 100 euros a bottle?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Dymo

This book is free on Kindle but only for today

Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks Fast
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dare-Anxiety-Stop-Panic-Attacks-ebook/dp/B0158S7E1G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

a routine.
    start with getting up at the same time
    then night time
    after 9pm no screen time
    nothing in the bedroom to distract ie tv mobile etc
    only what is needed for sleep or sex.
    read a book if it helps or relaxing music or meditation that will turn itself off.
    if tossing and turning get up for a short time
    no excercise immediately before bed
    milky drink or check health food shop eg valerian tea etc/check thats ok with gp
    make your bedroom your sanctuary
    if stresssed write stresses down put in a box
    try a sleep reset like below
    totally dark room
    your body temperature needs to be slightly lower so turn down heat.
    maybe open a window a little
    do some research online
    think beaumount or vincents has a sleep clinic with online resources
    some good books/resources available online for free.
    hope something helps in that list for starters
    ps sometimes we think we are not stressed intellectually but our body and subconcious know a nd we are in the middle of major changes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    3 more weeks of this

I really like the way you say CHALLENGE.
    A real positive way of looking at it. I am sure you can rise to it. And its okay to sometimes to say it even if you feel like your shaking and quaking in your boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

PTH2009 wrote: »
    3 more weeks of this

We are being asked to stay home. I can think of worse things.

Honest question- what’s so bad about it?

For me- I am seeing so many positives. So much less traffic, so better for the environment. No commute to work- mornings are so much more easy.
    I can fit exercise or meditation in to my working day. As opposed to trying to fit it in after a day in the office. An office where I have to sit down pretty much all day long and the temperature, break hours etc is all decided for me.

I had my birthday today. And it was so good. Just chilling on the balcony. No place to be. No deciding where to go or who to meet up with. Just chilling and knowing that all I had to do was stay home- read, video call, listen to music, text and watch tv.

We are so lucky we live in a developed country and have so much luxuries in our homes.

I’m genuinely intrigued as to why three weeks is such a big challenge for some. And I don’t mean that to come across bad. I could happily live like this for another few weeks at least. Yes I miss family but I will see them at some stage- staying healthy is the priority right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,463 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

AppleD wrote: »

I’m genuinely intrigued as to why three weeks is such a big challenge for some. And I don’t mean that to come across bad. I could happily live like this for another few weeks at least. Yes I miss family but I will see them at some stage- staying healthy is the priority right now.

I think some people are just used to being around people all the time and they are just bored out of their wits and there's only so much TV, Internet, books, etc they can put up with.
    When my work place was open I spoke to an older man who traveled around the World and was in countries when there was wars going on, stricter laws around certain things, were less developed than us and he said that nothing was worse than this because he at least had people and he know the reasons for it and why it has to happen but people find it hard.

People are also cracking because they feel there job will be gone in a few weeks and prospect of finding one seems slim.

All this #Stayathome, get over yourself, etc isn't really helping people from what I can see who are struggling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

For me- I am seeing so many positives. So much less traffic, so better for the environment.
    I'm with you on many things, especially because there is less traffic (Dublin seismology team recorded 1/3 of the amount of human - vibration related seismic activity as a consequence). However, each morning I look at the AQI to see the air quality (Airvisual is a great app) and the last few mornings it's been at 52. This is very bad quality air to be breathing. It's likely due to gorse fires started by farmers and allowed run rampage because of the dry weather. So unfortunately we still manage to find a way to sh!t all over the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

I think some people are just used to being around people all the time and they are just bored out of their wits and there's only so much TV, Internet, books, etc they can put up with.
    When my work place was open I spoke to an older man who traveled around the World and was in countries when there was wars going on, stricter laws around certain things, were less developed than us and he said that nothing was worse than this because he at least had people and he know the reasons for it and why it has to happen but people find it hard.

People are also cracking because they feel there job will be gone in a few weeks and prospect of finding one seems slim.

All this #Stayathome, get over yourself, etc isn't really helping people from what I can see who are struggling.

Thanks I really was just looking for another perspective to try and understand why 3 weeks is such a challenge. My own job is uncertain but that’s a worry for beyond three weeks.

I agree there’s only so much tv books etc you can read. But thanks to the internet we have so much at our fingertips. I’m looking at doing free online courses. There is no way I will get bored in the next 3 weeks. The past 4 have flown.
    I’m also volunteering with Alone for the next few weeks, answering telephone calls from home. Giving 1 - 2 hours a day to it.
    They are still looking for people so if anyone is bored maybe they can help with that.

I genuinely was just asking as to why people are finding it so difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

The renowned philosopher Alain de Botton, returns to How To Fail With Elizabeth Day to talk about how to be human and how to stay (relatively) sane in the grip of a global pandemic.

https://play.acast.com/s/how-to-fail1/howtofail.podbean.com%2F02c109cf-0fa3-5f07-9a7b-5b8181d1a2af

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/special-episode-alain-botton-on-embracing-vulnerability/id1407451189?i=1000470060728

I genuinely was just asking as to why people are finding it so difficult.

I understand where your coming from another thing to bear in mind is most of the people I know who are over 70 don’t use the internet. I live the in a rural area and they simply never got into computers,etc. I would even include people over 50 in this bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

We are being asked to stay home. I can think of worse things.

This is it exactly, I can't understand why people are complaining, we are all doing this for the greater good. For me personally it's great to have a few weeks off work, getting a bucket load of work done around the house and garden, just generally relaxing with no deadlines to meet, getting all those books read that I never had time to get full into with work commitments. Yes I'm missing sport and meeting up with my buddies at the weekend but it's all for the greater good. Relax people and enjoy this time.

• Advertisement

GoneHome wrote: »
    This is it exactly, I can't understand why people are complaining, we are all doing this for the greater good. For me personally it's great to have a few weeks off work, getting a bucket load of work done around the house and garden, just generally relaxing with no deadlines to meet, getting all those books read that I never had time to get full into with work commitments. Yes I'm missing sport and meeting up with my buddies at the weekend but it's all for the greater good. Relax people and enjoy this time.

See the thing is.
    Audrey might say I’m missing my cups of Coffee at Roy’s and Sally might make a big song and dance out of Audrey’s comment. She just said she missed something similar to how you miss something.
    Most people know it’s for the greater good.

Advertisement