Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The elders - a megathread

Options
  • 16-03-2020 5:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I’m sure I’m not the only one with this problem at the moment

My brother and I have tried explaining the seriousness of this but they’re continuing as normal. Going to Tescos, post office and still allowing all their grandkids near them

If you’re in the same boat, what have you said or done that’s got through to them?

Both parents are mid 60s and the father’s health has been ropey for years

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they insist on continuing as they are, try and get them to wash more often as in hands, get those visiting to do the same but then the other parents should be restricting this anyway.

They haven't shut the pubs for the craic, it's getting serious and honestly I thought that would be last resort stuff as the revenue is huge....

Get them sanitizer if possible and get them to use it and keep surfaces clean. Door handles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

How are their grandkids getting near them without the help of you or your siblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Point out they won’t get to see the grandchildren when they’re f*cking dead. Who are the parents of the grandchildren can you reach out to them?

If people want to be wilfully blind to it there’s not a huge amount you can do bar getting them to wash their hands regularly but I wouldn’t enable them either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Questions555

They live for their grandkids. They refuse to nor be around them. None of the grandkids are mine

Looking for practical advice from those in the same boat for the rest of the replies here

Not typical Boards thanks whoring

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭jay1988

They live for their grandkids. They refuse to nor be around them. None of the grandkids are mine

Looking for practical advice from those in the same boat for the rest of the replies here

Cheers

What exactly do you expect? You're getting practical answers, it's simple, tell your siblings to keep their kids out of the house or there is a chance they will be minus one or both grandparents before this is all over because of their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Cheers

You won't get more practical advice than keeping kids away from anyone who insists on being in large gatherings. Hardly thanks whoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

It is hard ! I've kept my kids away from parents they disappointed that others 'thinking' of cancelling a planned visit.
    They claim to be very good isolating .... Only going for walks keeping distance, the shops ( seems to be more than once a day) and god knows what else. They really think they going a great job even when I explain how it should be done and suggest my husband can drop messages if they stuck always say have loads next thing they heading out to shop agh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Tough one, I expect the message will not really sink in till/ if others nearby start taking ill and get into difficulty. Maybe getting late then but I suppose better late than never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

You can only save yourself in these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I feel your pain OP and that of your parents. We are 61 and 59 with 5 grandchildren who are the light of our lives. Part of me says we shouldn't see them for a few weeks but it's heart breaking to do so. My wife maintains that we're young enough and have no health issues whatsoever so aren't a high risk. Couples with ours being a small circle of family, who are all being extremely careful and avoiding social contact, she feels we'll be fine. But a lot of this could be just trying to justify seeing the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Cheers

It’s not thanks whoring. Speak to your siblings and tell them that children are vectors for the disease and could do your father in particular fatal damage. They have a role to play here too; sometimes having difficult conversations with or standing up to one’s parents is hard but it must be done.

You can’t lock your grandparents up but you can tell them you’re worried about them and spell out the risk. Your siblings can refuse to bring the children around.

If neither party is willing to consider that then all the advice on a message forum isn’t going to do anything for you I’m afraid. I’m ferociously worried about my own grandparents myself. It’s a tough situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My parents-in-law made a beeline for the local yesterday when they heard pubs were being asked to close.
    And I'm the bad guy because I told them not to call over earlier today!
    I had to meet my own mother today with something and she waved at the children from outside car window. They were bawling to get to her. Was heartbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

The Italian video of newspapers with death notices is what I think they might take notice off but I'm not visiting them to show it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ax530 wrote: »
    The Italian video of newspapers with death notices is what I think they might take notice off but I'm not visiting them to show it ...

If this doesnt do it nothing will

https://twitter.com/acirne/status/1238794673906421761?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Lockdown is the only solution

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I am now in the position of aggressively yelling down the phone twice a day at my elderly parents, threatening them with a horrible lonely death and a burial pit to follow. It's not nice. At all.

This morning we did a big shop for them (as despite warning them over a month ago to get in longlife essentials, and dropping in perishables every other day, it turned out they had absolutely nothing in the house), only to discover they went out to the Bank, and then to get pet food straight after.

It's a constant, deeply upsetting battle, treating much-loved parents like bold children, and bullying and scaring them like some vicious ****head. But it has to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What is up with this crisis bringing out accusations of thanks whoring, taking the moral high ground for the sake of it, virtue signalling, all those kinds of inanities.

Set up Skype. My parents are doing it for chatting to the grandchildren. It's a small price to pay.

My take is that they are adults and responsible for themselves. You can alert them to the dangers but after that it's up to themselves. By all means keep your kids away from them if you have any but after that .... they make their bed (or grave) so they have to lie in it.

All the supermarkets are packed with old people on the few occasions I ventured out. Not keeping a 2 metre distance or washing their hands either I bet.

And by the way people are losing their jobs and businesses to protect people like these. Pretty pathetic and every bit as bad as those idiots in Temple Bar if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

Wait till they figure out that some bookies (Boyle) closing shops for two weeks.... No pubs, no gambling - definitely end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My dad is 78 and in London, he has 7 different allotments around North London and travels to each one on public transport Everyday to prep for spring. He is a ex farmer from Kerry and the most stubborn man alive. He then heads to a betting shop and has his dinner in a Weatherspoons each day where he boasts about his medical history (heart, circulation etc) with his mates who are all between 65 and 85.

No interest in the virus or lockdown at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I’m sure I’m not the only one with this problem at the moment

My brother and I have tried explaining the seriousness of this but they’re continuing as normal. Going to Tescos, post office and still allowing all their grandkids near them

If you’re in the same boat, what have you said or done that’s got through to them?

Both parents are mid 60s and the father’s health has been ropey for years

Thanks

In yesterday's Observer a doctor is writing re same problem. Not sure if it's any help to you. Another Boards thread today was started by a poster whose young adult daughter still wants to visit her friends even though the parent has had a recent heart infection so there's a stubbornness across the generations. Think I headr on radio this eve that the President of UL has written to students telling them to stay-apart. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/13/elderly-relatives-coronavirus-advice

Is there anybody in public life your parents respect that they'd listen to? Sadly as long as it's "other people" who are affected and a so far low rate of fatalities it's hard to convince people to change their habits. Good Luck OP! Your parents seem to see you as a killjoy right now but they should be proud of having reared a thoughtful son/daughter.

All the supermarkets are packed with old people on the few occasions I ventured out. Not keeping a 2 metre distance or washing their hands either I bet.

And by the way people are losing their jobs and businesses to protect people like these. Pretty pathetic and every bit as bad as those idiots in Temple Bar if you ask me.

When you put it that way it's hard to disagree, is it 40,000 or so people out of work now? But you can't know re the hand-washing tbh.

From tomorrow, some supermarkets are having special times for older or at risk individuals. Hope the ones who should be staying at home stay there and dont see it as an invitation to head out!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I'm literally at my wits end with this. Both parents are in their late 60s and Dad hasnt had the best of health over the years. Mom is very vigilent and has been sanitising anything she can for weeks and generally being cautious but it's probably wasted due to my Dad's behaviour. Dad on the other hand went to the pub last night for his few pints before it closed where I was told they all sat as normal, went off to get the paper this morning as usual, went to the pharmacy and chatted to everyone there today while waiting half an hour as it was so busy. Then just to top it all off, he called into the bookies on the way home to collect a bet from Cheltenham last week. To be honest he probably had to be told to wash his hands after all this. It is beyond infuriating and reckless! It's almost like certain people will not listen until they are sick in hospital.

krissovo wrote: »
    My dad is 78 and in London, he has 7 different allotments around North London and travels to each one on public transport Everyday to prep for spring. He is a ex farmer from Kerry and the most stubborn man alive. He then heads to a betting shop and has his dinner in a Weatherspoons each day where he boasts about his medical history (heart, circulation etc) with his mates who are all between 65 and 85.

No interest in the virus or lockdown at all.

If North London ends up with food shortages later in the year your Dad will be a popular man! He must have great energy to manage 7 allotments. He sounds like he'll come out of it alright but can't see him taking kindly to Boris's promise this evening to "shield" the elderly for 12 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

Funny the shoe on the other foot now...we were blue in the face warning ye about dangers of alcohol, drugs, the circles you were hangung out in....ye knew everything..we knew nada.. circle of life my friends...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Mid 60s is not elderly, but they need to take care especially if one of them is not fully healthy.

The number with the virus is still small here, but that will change fairly quickly.

Set up Skype/FaceTime for grandkids to interact.

Give them guidelines on shopping,

Get them to read the hse advice

But at the end of the day, they are responsible adults and have to make their own decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

My mother is the same. I took time out of work on 'panic Thursday' to do her shopping and keep her safe at home and she phoned me the next day to say she had gone down to the local shopping mall for her pension. I nearly blew my gasket. 'What would I be doing cooped up all day' she said, this was after one day !

I told her that we are shutting businesses down and experiencing hardships for people like her and she needs to act responsible. My MIL has the attitude that if she goes, she goes - although she is a bit better in observing the restrictions.

I say fine, take your chances but if and when you are struck down, it would be immoral to go to A&E where the health workers will be knee deep dealing with those poor souls who tried their best to stay safe but got caught.

PS I read somewhere that in the event too many are dying, the government will issue an order for immediate cremation with no family present. Told my mom this and thing it sunk in a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PurpleHaze20

You need to tell the siblings to keep kids away
    Explain to the old pair to make sure and stay a good distance away from ppl if they are out.

My Dad in his 70s now washes hands and face on returning from the one trip to the town - this was achieved by being extremely dramatic about him infecting my mum.

But he is of the view in his words “I have had a grand life, twill be grand”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It will be easier in a few weeks, many states are considering a ban on anyone who looks old or infirm pounding the streets.
    The general guideline is around 70, the uk are considering this action (towards the weekend) with 1k fines, or even arrest (but unlikely) as part of their Phase3/4.

They've got 10k troops on stanby, but most of that is for nhs support (likely the same plans exist for most euro states), and occasional enforcements (city areas only)
    If they're marching streets, wearing masks, it'll put the jeepers on older folks slowing down queues in shops.
    Shops should however start to allow {only} old follks 10am-12noon, only.

A quicker method would be to hand them a brochure on one of those cremation houses, as if it gets worse
    then normal burials will cease due to risks.. The reality of such an end process does not sit well with traditional folks.

Remind them it's only until Summertime, then things will get back to normal(-ish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

I rang my parents the other day. Told them I'll see them when this is over.
    I live 100 miles away, they dote on the grandkids but they understand the risks.
    I feel it's the right decision and I'll video call them every few days so we can all check in and chat.

Advertisement