Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The elders - a megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

He doesnt care he just laughs when its brought up and gets mad when he feels like he's being given out too. He's the maturity of a 9 year old sometimes.
    Spouse & I are in our 70s and don'y n

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

He doesnt care he just laughs when its brought up and gets mad when he feels like he's being given out too. He's the maturity of a 9 year old sometimes.
    Spouse & I are in our 70s, live by ourselves in a rural district, and all our family are in the UK. So no dilemmas involving children or other family.

We've been self-isolating as advised, and probably more/earlier than that, in case we've missed the latest directive. And because it just makes sense. I'm a Londoner, and never could understand why so many of them don't wash their hands between using public transport etc and etmof tea, because you never know where other people's hands have been before grasping that handrail, doorknob etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

I wrote earlier about my Da touching a woman who was self isolating due to contact with a confirmed case. He's 72 and in the UK.
    Rang him there and asked him if I could get an on line shop delivered to him. He wouldn't hear of it. Said he was just back from mass and didn't have a thing in the house and would be popping out shortly.
    I've tried saying he's endangering others, just as I've tried to get him to use a tablet to use while on lock down. Weeks ago I asked him to buy in a few extras. The bit that is upsetting me is my brother is living nearby and has been popping over with his family eating my Dad's food!
    Same brother is going over to my mam's place with his family for a "holiday."
    My brother is not a stupid man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

So I am living with my Mam, she is in her 60s and has a long term illness. She has been taking extra care since the first infection but was still planning to do her own shopping. I explained to her that a friend of mine, who works for the HSE, and lives with their parents, is doing all of the food shopping and their parents are not leaving the house. This seemed to help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Good Lord...

Yeah, let them help spread the potentially deadly virus OP - they've lived longer than you.

they are intelligent human beings with way more experience than you,
    do you think your parents are stupid ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

It's not just a matter of protecting themselves and undoubtedly the older generation are an at risk group, it's also about limiting transmission in both the community and otherwise. I believe they, like us all, have a social responsibility as well. Not to mention, of course if they become ill and place an additional burden on an already over-stretched health service.

I have to say I was aghast last weekend when I spoke to some neighbours, a fairly well-educated couple in their 70s when out walking. When the subject of social distancing came up, they immediately said they weren't going to adhere to it. In addition, something which shocked me even more they informed me they had visited Kensington and Chelsea the day before, the area in London which has the second highest confirmed cases in UK at the moment! They didn't even know this. No way would I be visiting an area like that in this current climate, nor any part of London for that matter.

When I informed them I was asthmatic and needed to be very ultra-careful in terms of who I and may others came into contact with, it definitely made them think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

older people haven't been told not to shop https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/at-risk-groups.html yet

Yes, however did they have this in mind?

ETUxBC_XQAAxe_l?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

thats a queue? its supervalu in maynooth, source https://twitter.com/Jim_Sheridan/status/1239951175602049027

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

thats a queue? which dunnes is that?

Looks like SuperValu to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

They should have that section as an A4 printable page, to print n' post out to old folks who won't use the de komputers/email. As 'strong advice'.

Perhaps something else A4 PDF, (close, but not a full) 'stay at home order' to put in letter box. Only if authorities suspect some old folks are putting themselves at heightend risks (bingo, pubs, peak hour supermarkets, chinwagging, feeding ducks).

It's a bit draconian and an Americanisation, and a boat load of legal issues if not yet a viable option, and not done properly (starvation risk).

// edit: this was in reply to the other posters link https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coron...sk-groups.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

thats a queue? its supervalu in maynooth, source https://twitter.com/Jim_Sheridan/status/1239951175602049027

I'm not sure. It looks kind of looks like coffee and tea time. I saw some places saying they could shop and have a coffee or tea for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Wait. It's OK to go outside.

They can go for walks and stuff no problem. Just keep a bit of distance from others and keep up a good hand washing routine.

You are only pleading with them to avoid social gatherings, right?
    Please tell me you aren't demanding that they stay indoors completely?

Yes, that's what i meant. My brothers and I can do all their shopping tasks etc, the supermarkets even deliver but they want to be "busy". There's a beach 10 minutes away for strolls but it feels pointless talking to them.

They won't listen us but I give it a week before the fear of God is put into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

they are intelligent human beings with way more experience than you,
    do you think your parents are stupid ?
    You are just being contrarian for the craic and it's not the appropriate time for it (actually saying people who are old know more than medical science - because they're old).

No my parents aren't stupid. Because they are in self isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

my lot are the excuse needed for martial law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

loveall wrote: »
    my lot are the excuse needed for martial law

Ditto.
    "Yeah we're isolating, we were in the Corbett Court for lunch, jayz twas very quiet. Dunnes was crazy but we got our few bits in SuperValu. The chemist was hopping too".

They, 80 and 73, flat out refuse any help but are high risk, makes me despair but its their call.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    You are just being contrarian for the craic and it's not the appropriate time for it (actually saying people who are old know more than medical science - because they're old).

No my parents aren't stupid. Because they are in self isolation.

you made the link between old people and stupidity,
    not me, i respect my elders and their choices, providing they are in their right mind which most are.

Ditto.
    "Yeah we're isolating, we were in the Corbett Court for lunch, jayz twas very quiet. Dunnes was crazy but we got our few bits in SuperValu. The chemist was hopping too".

They, 80 and 73, flat out refuse any help but are high risk, makes me despair but its their call.

you said it, it's their call and i applaud you for that.
    I think most people moaning are more afraid of losing their babysitters

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

you said it, it's their call and i applaud you for that.
    I think most people moaning are more afraid of losing their babysitters

Or losing loved ones? You fúcking idiot.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Or losing loved ones? You fúcking idiot.
    You'll get banned for that so fair play.

you made the link between old people and stupidity,
    not me, i respect my elders and their choices, providing they are in their right mind which most are.
    You know you asked if I think my parents are stupid, so epic fail.

Your behaviour towards people who are worried about their parents and grandparents is disgusting. If you don't care about your parents, don't project.

• Advertisement

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    My parents are alive but I don't own them. It's not my place to order them around. They are their own people and so they should be.

It's like trying to convince people to stop smoking or something. Sure, their actions now will probably kill them in the end but their body, their choice etc.

People flying off the handle because their elderly parents had the gall to go to the pub or the supermarket or *gasps* take a holiday to Spain need to dial it back a bit.

Maybe we should just weld the elderly into their homes "for their own good" and pass food and supplies to them through small gap under the door?
    It's not about you getting to be edgy anymore, it's about not letting a potentially deadly virus spread.

The psychopathic posts on this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Are doctors, nurses and other health care workers in their 60s being asked to stay at home?

Because either they are vulnerable and should not be going out or they are a vital part of the health care response, they cant be both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

mariaalice wrote: »
    Are doctors, nurses and other health care workers in their 60s being asked to stay at home?

Because either they are vulnerable and should not be going out or they are a vital part of the health care response, they cant be both.

They are putting their health at risk by working. It is their contribution to the common good. It is presumed that if they get symptoms they will stop working and that they will be careful enough in their work not to transmit the virus.

They are putting their health at risk by working. It is their contribution to the common good. It is presumed that if they get symptoms they will stop working and that they will be careful enough in their work not to transmit the virus.

Are hospitals giving health care staff over 60 the option of not working during the pandemic?

mariaalice wrote: »
    Are hospitals giving health care staff over 60 the option of not working during the pandemic?

Every healthcare worker is entitled to withdraw their services if their health is affected. Many already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Well, perhaps the latest news that a further 32 people have regrettably died in UK, bringing the total to 104 might be enough to make folk take this pandemic more seriously.

That is 104 in the space of two weeks.

Well, perhaps the latest news that a further 32 people have regrettably died in UK, bringing the total to 104 might be enough to make folk take this pandemic more seriously.

I do not think there is anyone not taking this seriously at this stage.

It will take the death of a neighbour or relation to make them take it seriously. Then, when there is no funeral, and likely no priest they will cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

is it that bad if a grandparent went out for 10 mins to get a pint of milk or their pension

Advertisement