Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The elders - a megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm working from home. Where I am working looks out to the road that passes my house. Today I have seen:
    - One elderly neighbour out walking his dog
    - One elderly neighbour driving to the shop to get supplies
    - One elderly neighbour out for a walk

On Monday, my neighbour from two doors up walked out of the house and into the back of an ambulance. She was in respiratory distress and had been in contact with somebody who was subsequently diagnosed with covid19. (Long story short - neighbour visiting family in America, family member since diagnosed). Anyway, said neighbour has been wandering around the estate for the past week or so, despite probably being told to self isolate after her trip abroad. She walked to the ambulance, but yesterday we got word that she is in a critical condition on a ventilator. She is elderly with pre-existing conditions.

She would have stopped to chat to any of the three that I saw this morning, had she been around.

Meanwhile, I'm having to keep a close eye on the door to make sure that my gran (82 - heart condition) and aunt (84 - dementia, kidney failure, diabetes) don't leave the house because idiots who were in contact with the disease, like the neighbour that was told to isolate after her trip AND who should have been cocooning because she is over 70, are just wandering the streets.

I hate to think of anybody sick, but people need to help themselves first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think the message is getting there, on the first day in operation I did see a few out, but its got far quieter in the estate or when I go for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I've talked to people from other countries and this seems to be a global issue, older people will not be told. I will say though, it's hard to tell people not to walk. They wouldn't have made it to 70+ if they weren't people who liked to move around a lot. I get it. And they know that not exercising makes the aches and pains worse and they know that not exercising affects mental health.

One thing we can do is make sure that if we aren't vulnerable we don't ring Tesco/Supervalu etc. and we don't order online, leave that for vulnerable people. Surely the government knows the address of every elderly person because of pensions, can they deliver them a list of numbers they can ring to order food / get other types of help? Most people i know in their 60s are online but with 70s and 80s it's the rare few.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The practicalities of "cocooned" older people accessing services and getting shopping are not considered. "Just go on your tablet and find volunteers in your area and get them to deliver your shopping, simples". Usually said by some over-confident, happy head 25 year old with sh*t for brains.

There is a lot of naivety out there. The State has shown, time and time again, long before Covid-19, that the needs of elderly people staying at home are not a priority. Voluntary initiatives like meals on wheels etc. are provided as solutions, they help but they are not solutions.

The state is now instructing older people to cocoon themselevs. In that case, the authorities, NOT a mish mash of voluntary groups should be dealing with the consequences of this cocooning.

The Garda and on Post are involved now,

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Are old people not hearing/seeing the same news that everyone else is?

There is info everywhere about services old people can avail of to have their shopping delivered so that they can stay safe Inside.

But I see old people out everywhere. Walking and shopping. If they die from c-19 due their own stubbornness then sobeit but stop putting the health service workers at risk due to their stupidity!

/rant over

What is it with everyone feeling they have to police their neighbours? Did everyone pass the exams to become guards lately? Do your best and trust others to do the same! My neighbour is 85 not in the best of health and still walks everyday. I asked her if she knew about cocooning and she replied that she was not going to spend what might be the last spring of her life looking at 4 walls. So, she walks everyday, where she lives she rarely meets anyone on her walks anyway. I also drop food for her (outside her home) twice a week. It is her life. who are we to tell her how to live/die.
    And what are we becoming as a society when so many posts are angry rants about people not following the rule.
    It is frightening to see people using the exact same sentences their heard on TV without putting any thought behind it.
    Stop looking at what your neighbour or the people on the street do. Do your best yourself and smile to people you meet. All that anger and suspicion will do more damage than the old people who might have had a walk after a few days cocooning because they felt they were losing their mind!

I just decided not to visit these forums until the crisis is over: it is so bitter and hateful:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Little rossie

There is a reason for over 70's being asked to cocoon. They could easily pick up the virus because of their age. Yes I know anyone could catch the virus. But older people if they get sick would put a strain on the already stretched health system. The more people that isolate and avoid catching the virus the better it is for everyone. It is only for a short while and if we can get through this with as few people dying the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

awanderer wrote: »
    What is it with everyone feeling they have to police their neighbours? Did everyone pass the exams to become guards lately? Do your best and trust others to do the same! My neighbour is 85 not in the best of health and still walks everyday. I asked her if she knew about cocooning and she replied that she was not going to spend what might be the last spring of her life looking at 4 walls. So, she walks everyday, where she lives she rarely meets anyone on her walks anyway. I also drop food for her (outside her home) twice a week. It is her life. who are we to tell her how to live/die.
    And what are we becoming as a society when so many posts are angry rants about people not following the rule.
    It is frightening to see people using the exact same sentences their heard on TV without putting any thought behind it.
    Stop looking at what your neighbour or the people on the street do. Do your best yourself and smile to people you meet. All that anger and suspicion will do more damage than the old people who might have had a walk after a few days cocooning because they felt they were losing their mind!

I just decided not to visit these forums until the crisis is over: it is so bitter and hateful:(

That's boards for you. Lots of armchair arseholes who know what's best for everyone else and blindly follow what ever bullsh1t Leo is spouting. If there was no corona they'd be still chastising people for driving in the fast lane of a dual carriageway and dreaming and scheming about new ways to boot old people out of their houses to make room for young IT professionals

It is highly unlikely you catch the Corona going on a simple walk outside. There has to be some 'damn those bloody old people who dragged me to mass back on the day' sentiment about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Could be the best solution!

cocoon-1373456984-view-0.png

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

People going on non stop about some aul lad having a stroll to the shop but no one seems to mention the groups of teens constantly arsing around in groups non stop wrestling around like some WWE wannabees.

I know if I was of the age when I had to cocoon I would be staying in because I would be mortified to be seen out, not because I would want to obey the rules.

Doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

By the time you are old you might not care what people think of you any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

To be honest with you. I don’t really give a toss if these old people live or die. It’s the people they are putting at risk by their actions. The working healthcarers, several of my family included, mainly. People on the frontline who I’m worried about - 30% of whom will catch it while working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

To be honest with you. I don’t really give a toss if these old people live or die. It’s the people they are putting at risk by their actions. The working healthcarers, several of my family included, mainly. People on the frontline who I’m worried about - 30% of whom will catch it while working.

That's my thoughts too. If these people choose to endanger themselves, that's fine; their death is immaterial, but if they get to hospital they'd be using precious resources and time that could be better spent on those who caught the disease through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

mariaalice wrote: »
    The Garda and on Post are involved now,

They are and they aren't. I've seen a few tweets from the Gardaí saying "look, we're delivering prescriptions" and things like that, but if Bob rings his local garda station and says he needs a pint of milk for his morning tea, the guards aren't really going to be dropping everything to bring it out to him. Out of goodness, one might drop some in in their own time, but it's not a guarantee.

It seems like there was some miscommunication around An Post as well - postmen are not in a position to do people's shopping for them. All they can do is keep an eye on their regulars, and notice if someone's post is piling up and alert someone.

Details of the phone numbers for each council are on the link below. These numbers will get you through to a "forum".

The Forum will ensure the provision of the following services:
    • Collection and delivery of food, essential household items, fuel, medication in line with guidance
    • Transport to community testing centres, clinical Assessment Hubs, GP and hospital appointments
    • Social isolation, supports, engagement
    • Meals and their delivery
    • Other medical/health needs
    https://agefriendlyireland.ie/category/coronavirus-covid-19/important-contact-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My neighbour is 85 not in the best of health and still walks everyday. I asked her if she knew about cocooning and she replied that she was not going to spend what might be the last spring of her life looking at 4 walls. So, she walks everyday, where she lives she rarely meets anyone on her walks anyway.

Not in the best of health? She will be worse if she contracts Corona

If I’m her I’d rather be responsible for looking at 4 walls in my house then 4 walls in a morgue.

I’d rather lose my mind then my life or be responsible for some else getting ill or dead.

It’s not great but we have to be tough, if we give the over 70’s a hall pass, people who are 65 and upwards are going out too... we can’t be burdening the health services with all they have going on, we can’t be burdening the Gardai stopping walkers for ID checks ffs.... I don’t care what age you are, this responsibility is on ALL of us. Cop the fûck on, tell friends and family the same... show them the news online, hundreds dying, sorry, thousands and TELL them, stay in, stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I'm only a 70-something , but have already been getting that 'how much time left to do all those things?' feeling for years, very keenly. But on top of the normal human abhorrence at the idea of killing someone, I've learnt from a relative fairly recently what being an accidental killer can do to people, and the thought of already precious time being blighted by possibly becoming one clinches it for me. So I'm not tempted to flout the coronavirus advice.

On a slightly different subject, I'm fortunate enough to be fit and in good health, so (as far as I know) still allowed to get out for the occasional (necessary) drive. I've never wanted to let my attention wander for even a moment on the road, but noticed that intensifying quite early in this crisis. On (later!) reflection, I realised it started when it became clear that A&E would be even more hard-pressed than usual. So about the worst time to get or cause even, say, a cut needing stitches. And/or to block the road by having to stop the car.
    (Can't remember hearing anything on the subject in the advice? But then we often have the radio and TV off).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I'm only a 70-something ,

On a slightly different subject, I'm fortunate enough to be fit and in good health, so (as far as I know) still allowed to get out for the occasional (necessary) drive. .

If you are over 70 you are not supposed to be out driving at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

The amount of economic pain we have caused the working people of this country with these (necessary) measures we have taken, it angers me to my core when I see an obviously over 70's individual dithering about (and I've seen a few in my 2 brief journeys out of my house in the last week).

We're doing this to protect them. (Mainly, there are other groups I am aware). And some of them have the cheek to disregard all of it. It's disgusting.

If they come whinging about wanting larger pensions, or lower thresholds for medical cards, or not wanting their free travel passes taken away from them at peak hours to allow workers to get to work after all this I hope they are told where to go. They won't be though, for some reason the grey heads are seen as untouchable in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

rodDaly69 wrote: »
    The amount of economic pain we have caused the working people of this country with these (necessary) measures we have taken, it angers me to my core when I see an obviously over 70's individual dithering about (and I've seen a few in my 2 brief journeys out of my house in the last week).

We're doing this to protect them. (Mainly, there are other groups I am aware). And some of them have the cheek to disregard all of it. It's disgusting.

If they come whinging about wanting larger pensions, or lower thresholds for medical cards, or not wanting their free travel passes taken away from them at peak hours to allow workers to get to work after all this I hope they are told where to go. They won't be though, for some reason the grey heads are seen as untouchable in this country.

Every single over 70 I know among my family and friends are staying indoors
    You cannot lump them all in your rant m

rodDaly69 wrote: »

I blame the parents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Every single over 70 I know among my family and friends are staying indoors
    You cannot lump them all in your rant m

Apologies, I do understand that the majority are doing the right thing, and kudos to them!

But we cannot say there is not a sizeable minority that are not following the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What Apps - if any - can we install onto the phones and tablets for them to help them chat to all of their Grandkids together?

I was thinking the House Party app but now hearing it has security issues?

Needs to very simple to sign up for and use

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What Apps - if any - can we install onto the phones and tablets for them to help them chat to all of their Grandkids together?

Thanks

My daughter set up Zoom ., It seems good they use it with friends .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My daughter set up Zoom ., It seems good they use it with friends .

Zoom is free?

I always thought it was software that businesses had to pay for

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Zoom is free?

I always thought it was software that businesses had to pay for

There's functions that you have to pay for but it's mainly free.

If you are over 70 you are not supposed to be out driving at all!
    Thanks (I was out of date!)

Though I won't be going out anyway as it happens, having decided during the last supermarket trip to avail of their delivery service (don't know what the score is with prescriptions but can check that online). And we'd decided the same re gas bottles.

Since we moved to Ireland iit's been obvious that our usual supermarket delivers boxes of shopping to certain people, and a sign appeared there as the crisis developed as a reminder. But it also suggested shopping in person if able to, to help use their resources for those who were going to really need it. And I didn't think they delivered this far out (only spotted the van in/near town). But following a chance remark, the till lady encouraged me to use deliveries, and confirmed we're within their range (or maybe suddenly were!).

Re driving around, I have now remembered a radio bulletin while driving somewhere while the crisis was first developing, asking people who needed cars to drive carefully, and without stopping in case of a probable increase in emergency vehicles needing to get through. And not to break down/run out of fuel, but if we did, to pull over immediately in a layby (however possible that was on some roads, but obviously still necessary to tell some people!). (But the signal went so missed the rest of the discussion).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Thanks

The makers of House Party have offered $1m to anyone who can highlight their security issues.

As far as I know, free Zoom only allows 40 min meetings. You can schedule another for straight after but you need to send out the new link, etc.

Thanks (I was out of date!)

Though I won't be going out anyway as it happens, having decided during the last supermarket trip to avail of their delivery service (don't know what the score is with prescriptions but can check that online). And we'd decided the same re gas bottles.

Since we moved to Ireland iit's been obvious that our usual supermarket delivers boxes of shopping to certain people, and a sign appeared there as the crisis developed as a reminder. But it also suggested shopping in person if able to, to help use their resources for those who were going to really need it. And I didn't think they delivered this far out (only spotted the van in/near town). But following a chance remark, the till lady encouraged me to use deliveries, and confirmed we're within their range (or maybe suddenly were!).

Re driving around, I have now remembered a radio bulletin while driving somewhere while the crisis was first developing, asking people who needed cars to drive carefully, and without stopping in case of a probable increase in emergency vehicles needing to get through. And not to break down/run out of fuel, but if we did, to pull over immediately in a layby (however possible that was on some roads, but obviously still necessary to tell some people!). (But the signal went so missed the rest of the discussion).

There are volunteers offering to deliver everywhere. Both prescriptions and groceries will be elivered. Talk to your local Garda who will advise. You simply should ot be going out. There is absolutely no need to.

Thanks
    WhatsApp is a good one. Far more efficient and less fiddly than Facebook Messenger (Installed it about 3 years.ago, and never felt the need to try any other messaging apps, in spite of all family & most friends being in the UK). Really clear, logical and simple to install (automatically giving you a list of people in your phonebook who are on it).

Our daughter on furlough in London is a bit less tech savvy, but she finally got round to getting it few days ago, and immediately started a family group. It's great not having to wonder if I've already said something, or what I've missed because of being out of reach of casual conversation. (I've just been enjoying one member's photos of the central London streets with nothing in the way).

Whoops - sorry! Just dawned that House Party sounds more like a video app! (No experience of those as our internet can only stream audio).

• Advertisement

WhatsApp is a good one

You can't - as far as I'm aware - have multiple people on screen at the same time with either WhatsApp or Viber

Advertisement