Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Offseason 2020

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Teams will never learn.

It’s my favourite position in the game, 2 of my all time favourite players are RB’s but they’re just not worth the return on them contracts.

Might be in the minority here but I’m in favour of rookie contracted RB’s in my team always unless there’s one on free agency you can get for the year when you think you’re close to winning a super bowl.

I’d be more inclined to trade McCaffrey at the moment if I was the Panthers, appreciate not ever one wouldn’t agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

gstack166 wrote: »
    Teams will never learn.

It’s my favourite position in the game, 2 of my all time favourite players are RB’s but they’re just not worth the return on them contracts.

Might be in the minority here but I’m in favour of rookie contracted RB’s in my team always unless there’s one on free agency you can get for the year when you think you’re close to winning a super bowl.

I’d be more inclined to trade McCaffrey at the moment if I was the Panthers, appreciate not ever one wouldn’t agree with me.

Id be normally of this opinion along with not drafting them in the first round. But McCaffrey is a special talent, there isn't another player in the league or in the draft thats going to get you over 1000 yards in both the run and passing game and thats with Kyle Allen at QB for the majority of the season. He doesnt have any major injuries heading into the new contract either which helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

phatkev wrote:
    Id be normally of this opinion along with not drafting them in the first round. But McCaffrey is a special talent, there isn't another player in the league or in the draft thats going to get you over 1000 yards in both the run and passing game and thats with Kyle Allen at QB for the majority of the season. He doesnt have any major injuries heading into the new contract either which helps
    McCaffrey is on a different level. He had almost 2k yards from scrimmage in 2018 and was well over it last season. He is well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think it's premature for the other three teams in the AFC east to be making room for the division banner just yet. The patriots have lost a huge part of their team but as Brady rightly said in his Howard stern interviews, the whole argument over whether he or belichick was a bigger part of the patriots success is a stupid one. Both contributed to the success as it's been in all great QB/HC tandems over the years.

Also, great move by the panthers as others have said McCaffrey is a special player and a player the panthers are lucky to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mcaffery is absolutely dynamite but can people really see him maintaining 2019 production long term the way he is flogged in that offence? We have seen time and again how these huge running back contracts can turn sour very quickly when the knocks start to add up no matter how good the player is. Barkley and Kamara are up next so it will be interesting to see what their teams do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'd say teams at this stage know that the performances will tail off sooner rather than later. Could they be paying him the value of a 4 year contract knowing that he'll only be a superstar for 2 of them and are happy enough to live with that?

I'd say teams at this stage know that the performances will tail off sooner rather than later. Could they be paying him the value of a 4 year contract knowing that he'll only be a superstar for 2 of them and are happy enough to live with that?

That would sit with me fine if I was a fan of the Panthers & if we were close to challenging but they’re miles off! The actual talk amongst fans and media is that they wouldn’t be surprised to see a tank year to go for Trevor Lawrence in the draft next year!

Just to be clear I wasn’t knocking CMC in my first post either, I do think he’s worth that money and he’s the best RB in the NFL but that contract is not worth it to Carolina in the short or long term in my opinion.

If that is their strategy then why pay him now when he is under control for another two seasons and a third with the tag if they had wanted. Of course he would have likely held out at some stage so maybe they figured they’d just get the deal done now. Fair play to them for doing right by the player, remains to be seen if it is good business for the team.

https://twitter.com/melkiperespn/status/1242466810601058304?s=21

Mel skiper now has Tua going to the Chargers in his latest mock draft.

• Advertisement

Tua has talent but he's had a couple of injuries and not looked as good after coming back from them.
    I'm not sold on him at all now. I really like the lad though, hope he makes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I'm not overly enamored by Justin Herbert - loads showing him drafted above Tua at this point. Bookies have over under for Herbert at 5.5. Will be an interesting late Thursday night for us on this side as always.

My God, do we need football back asap

https://twitter.com/MadDogRadio/status/1250740786024644611

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

franglan wrote: »
    I'm not overly enamored by Justin Herbert - loads showing him drafted above Tua at this point. Bookies have over under for Herbert at 5.5. Will be an interesting late Thursday night for us on this side as always.

I can’t see him lasting longer than the Chargers at #6 if I’m honest. I think the only debate around him will be if he’s a Dolphin or a Charger. Tua’s stock again seems to be falling a little, plenty time for that to change yet.

Be very interesting if Miami take Herbert, if they do I wouldn’t be surprised to the Chargers passed on Tua, no basis for coming to that conclusion, just my feeling on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This Gronk news has snowballed quickly. Apparently has already done a physical. Not much leverage for the Patriots not to trade. Bucs don't really need him and Gronk has apparently said he won't play again for the Patriots

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/1252691491467608064?s=20

• Advertisement

And it is done. Not sure it is quite worth it from the Bucs POV unless the year off has helped Gronk put himself back together but it will keep Brady happy. Not that expensive either.

Personally, I would rather Gronk just retired given the damage he has taken. Probably playing in Florida with less tax and warmer weather helped him get back onboard

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1252693001450782721?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Shedite27

He's lightened down quite a bit too hasn't he? Could have a different playing style this year, especially as he won't be needed half as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Hope Gronk will be ok. Las time we saw him he made a SB winning play, but was a shadow of his former self.
    While I support the Pats first and foremost, hope it works out for Brady and Gronk after all they did for NE.

I’d imagine he will be very much a bit part player, they have a couple of tight ends already to share the load so it’s an ideal situation for him to come in to. Arians will be well aware that he is not getting the unstoppable version from early in the last decade but he should still be able to make plays at times. Perhaps the year off will have done his body wonders, who knows.

Bucs are going to be on primetime quite a bit this year by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

Shedite27 wrote: »
    He's lightened down quite a bit too hasn't he? Could have a different playing style this year, especially as he won't be needed half as much.

Yeah, hes lost a lot of weight since he stopped playing. But he has from now until September to train, so if wants to he'll put back on a significant amount of that. Muscle memory is an incredibly powerful thing, and 4 months+ is a long time to bulk for a professional athlete with great genetics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Wonder is Arians completely retooling his offence, he's not usually TE friendly. Brate and Howard only had 69 catches between them last year.

Wonder is Arians completely retooling his offence, he's not usually TE friendly. Brate and Howard only had 69 catches between them last year.
    He has to change it up. His playbook is full of long throws and that's not playing to Brady's strengths.

Yeah no point bringing in Brady and trying to implement that Arians downfield passing offence, that’s not his game and they don’t have the offensive line to do it without getting him killed anyway, he can’t avoid pressure like he could at one time. You’d imagine that TB will get to input in to how the offence runs and they can scheme thing up that suit what he is comfortable with.

If they can get add a good offensive lineman in the draft and a decent running back they’ll have a fairly complete offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah no point bringing in Brady and trying to implement that Arians downfield passing offence, that’s not his game and they don’t have the offensive line to do it without getting him killed anyway, he can’t avoid pressure like he could at one time. You’d imagine that TB will get to input in to how the offence runs and they can scheme thing up that suit what he is comfortable with.

If they can get add a good offensive lineman in the draft and a decent running back they’ll have a fairly complete offence

It'll be similar to how peyton manning got the broncos to tailor their offence to him when he arrived there. All QBs need a good offensive line to be anyway successful and Brady for as amazing as he is still, when you get him off the spot he won't be as elusive as he once was.

Bill O'Brien is after giving Tunsil a boat load of money

phatkev wrote: »
    Bill O'Brien is after giving Tunsil a boat load of money

Still cant believe they didn't sign him to a new contract prior to the trade.

Yep, basically handed him a blank cheque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That's BO'B for you!

Tunsil is well worth it though

Just about sums up how I feel about Trent Williams at the moment.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1253921575969177605

• Advertisement

Just about sums up how I feel about Trent Williams at the moment.
    After what happened to him I don't think anybody has the right to give him a hard time and he has every right to tell the redskins whatever he wants.

eagle eye wrote: »
    After what happened to him I don't think anybody has the right to give him a hard time and he has every right to tell the redskins whatever he wants.

Yes, they f'd up but:

They sacked the trainer
    They sacked the GM
    They told him to find a trade (no takers)
    He's claimed it's always about the way he was treated and wants out so they find a trade and he turns it down.

He says it's all about the way he was treated but it's more about money at this stage.

He's probably just wants to be released but if he's one of the best LT as he claims he is, even he can't expect to given a release for nothing. No matter how he was treated.

What is his supposed issue going to Minnesota? There are worse landing spots surely?

What is his supposed issue going to Minnesota? There are worse landing spots surely?

That was my point. It's not like they were sending him to the Frankfurt Galaxy. The Vikings have a great chance of going far this season.

Maybe Minnesota wouldn't give him an extension? As I said, I think it's more about the money than it is him wanting to get out of Washington because of the way his head injury wan handled.

He's probably just wants to be released but if he's one of the best LT as he claims he is, even he can't expect to given a release for nothing. No matter how he was treated.
    He deserves to let go as a free agent after what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Trent Williams traded to the 49ers.

A 5th this year and a 3rd next year.

Redskins hands were tied, but incredible value for the 49ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Trent Williams is heading to the 49'ers for a 5th this year and a 3rd next year.

Trent Williams to the 49ers, the rich get richer, rapoport reporting a 3 and 5 was the cost

VillaMad wrote: »
    Trent Williams is heading to the 49'ers for a 5th this year and a 3rd next year.

https://twitter.com/skolmeistera/status/1254080135499853824?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's an absolute steal for the 49ers.

It's difficult to believe Washington didn't decline better offers in the last year.

That's an absolute steal for the 49ers.

It's difficult to believe Washington didn't decline better offers in the last year.

Yeah when you consider Tunsil went for 2 first rounders, they definitely messed up. One of the reasons why Bruce Allen isn’t there anymore. Too stubborn for his own good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Unfortunately that almost certainly means we've seen the last of Joe Staley, an all-time great 49er. Disappointing way for him to go out, losing the superbowl.

I thought he'd be back for another season.

No new deal or extension for Trent Williams so he plays this season his current deal. So free agent next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You'd have to think they'll figure out a deal/extension, hope this isn't a 1 year sort of situation.

adrian522 wrote: »
    You'd have to think they'll figure out a deal/extension, hope this isn't a 1 year sort of situation.

yeah, I'd imagine that's the plan, to work out a deal.

• Advertisement

Shefter reporting that they are structuring the final year of his deal so be interesting to see what that involves.

Unfortunately that almost certainly means we've seen the last of Joe Staley, an all-time great 49er. Disappointing way for him to go out, losing the superbowl.

Schefter saying he's retiring due to health issues.

That was my point. It's not like they were sending him to the Frankfurt Galaxy. The Vikings have a great chance of going far this season.

Maybe Minnesota wouldn't give him an extension? As I said, I think it's more about the money than it is him wanting to get out of Washington because of the way his head injury wan handled.

I'd say he knew about the 49ers interest and wanted to go there. He has a great relationship with the Shanahans and fits Kyle's scheme perfectly.

Smart by the 49ers not to extend him before they see him on the field. Doubt he has have dropped off too much but no point in taking that risk with a big contract.

If the 49ers cant come to a deal with him to extend then they'll nearly definitely get a comp 3rd round pick in 2022, so a year rental will only cost them a 5th. Absolute steal.

Absolutely gutted to see Staley retire but he was a great club man until the end. Though there were some rumours this week, him keeping quiet gave the 49ers so much more bargaining power in the draft.

Hopefully the injury isn't serious enough that he can't enjoy retirement. The speed he played at in his peak was incredible.

https://twitter.com/OurSf49ers/status/1254094373165256704?s=20

Dalton released by the Bengals. I understand the business side of things, that they were likely holding him through the draft in the hope of getting some return, but it is a pretty crappy way to treat a guy that has been a loyal servant despite the mess the franchise has been. At this stage nearly every team has they QB room set and/or allocated most of their cap room. When he gets picked up he will likely get a very low contract.

The most obvious landing spot looks to be the Patriots.

• Advertisement
Advertisement