Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Offseason 2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's an absolute steal for the 49ers.

It's difficult to believe Washington didn't decline better offers in the last year.

Yeah when you consider Tunsil went for 2 first rounders, they definitely messed up. One of the reasons why Bruce Allen isn’t there anymore. Too stubborn for his own good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Unfortunately that almost certainly means we've seen the last of Joe Staley, an all-time great 49er. Disappointing way for him to go out, losing the superbowl.

I thought he'd be back for another season.

No new deal or extension for Trent Williams so he plays this season his current deal. So free agent next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You'd have to think they'll figure out a deal/extension, hope this isn't a 1 year sort of situation.

adrian522 wrote: »
    You'd have to think they'll figure out a deal/extension, hope this isn't a 1 year sort of situation.

yeah, I'd imagine that's the plan, to work out a deal.

• Advertisement

Shefter reporting that they are structuring the final year of his deal so be interesting to see what that involves.

Unfortunately that almost certainly means we've seen the last of Joe Staley, an all-time great 49er. Disappointing way for him to go out, losing the superbowl.

Schefter saying he's retiring due to health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That was my point. It's not like they were sending him to the Frankfurt Galaxy. The Vikings have a great chance of going far this season.

Maybe Minnesota wouldn't give him an extension? As I said, I think it's more about the money than it is him wanting to get out of Washington because of the way his head injury wan handled.

I'd say he knew about the 49ers interest and wanted to go there. He has a great relationship with the Shanahans and fits Kyle's scheme perfectly.

Smart by the 49ers not to extend him before they see him on the field. Doubt he has have dropped off too much but no point in taking that risk with a big contract.

If the 49ers cant come to a deal with him to extend then they'll nearly definitely get a comp 3rd round pick in 2022, so a year rental will only cost them a 5th. Absolute steal.

Absolutely gutted to see Staley retire but he was a great club man until the end. Though there were some rumours this week, him keeping quiet gave the 49ers so much more bargaining power in the draft.

Hopefully the injury isn't serious enough that he can't enjoy retirement. The speed he played at in his peak was incredible.

https://twitter.com/OurSf49ers/status/1254094373165256704?s=20

Dalton released by the Bengals. I understand the business side of things, that they were likely holding him through the draft in the hope of getting some return, but it is a pretty crappy way to treat a guy that has been a loyal servant despite the mess the franchise has been. At this stage nearly every team has they QB room set and/or allocated most of their cap room. When he gets picked up he will likely get a very low contract.

The most obvious landing spot looks to be the Patriots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just seen that Dalton has been released. I don't know where he is going to go but some team will lose their starter at some stage and he'll get good money to come in if he is willing to wait. If he signs with somebody now he should have it in his contract that he can go for a lower round trade pick if he is on the bench.
    I think he is a very good QB, hope he gets the opportunity to prove it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Hes only 32, and has never had a full set of tools around him while with the Bengals. I'd say if a decent team has their QB go down injured he could do well stepping in. A Nick Foles in Philly type story hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,213 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dalton to Patriots. gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Blut2 wrote: »
    Hes only 32, and has never had a full set of tools around him while with the Bengals. I'd say if a decent team has their QB go down injured he could do well stepping in. A Nick Foles in Philly type story hopefully.

He had a really high level team around him in 2015 before getting injured in week 13 and was looking really good with him. He's definitely able to succeed when he has all the parts.

It's easy to forget with how crap they've been the last few seasons buy the Bengals had a good string of years where they were a playoff team, just couldn't get past the first round.

Dalton to Patriots. gonna happen.

I don't see it. I think Belichick has real belief that he has his guy in Stidham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

He had a really high level team around him in 2015 before getting injured in week 13 and was looking really good with him. He's definitely able to succeed when he has all the parts.

It's easy to forget with how crap they've been the last few seasons buy the Bengals had a good string of years where they were a playoff team, just couldn't get past the first round.

Yeah, as you say it is easy to forget. From 2011-2015 they/he had 5 really good years.

He came into the league as a 2nd rounder in 2011 and was a big reason behind them putting together the following record:

2011: 9-7, wild card round exit in the playoffs
    2012: 10-6, wild card round exit in playoffs
    2013: 11-5, divisional title, wild card round exit in playoffs
    2014: 10-5-1, wild card round exit in playoffs
    2015: 12-4, divisional title, wild card round exit in playoffs (injured so didn't play)

Obviously the thing that will jump out immediately to most people are the wild card playoff exits. He was too inconsistent to ever really threaten to be in that elite tier of QB's, but the last few years have really soured the impact he had over that 5 year period from 2011-2015.

BrentMused wrote:
    Obviously the thing that will jump out immediately to most people are the wild card playoff exits. He was too inconsistent to ever really threaten to be in that elite tier of QB's, but the last few years have really soured the impact he had over that 5 year period from 2011-2015.
    Yeah but you can't put that all on him. I seen him at Wembley last year with no offensive line and receivers struggling to get open. That's been the case quite a lot with only AJ Green and occasionally Eifert, when fit, to throw the ball to. Green spent the last few seasons double and triple covered because you didn't have to really worry about anybody else. Green was out all of last year.
    Like they even benched Dalton for a couple of games and it became very clear he wasn't the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Jacksonville or New England are probably the only places where he might get a start realistically. I know they are supposedly going with Minshew and Stidham respectively but you never know.

He will get a nice backup contract somewhere if he doesn’t go to one of the above. You’d feel pretty safe having him behind your starter.

I'd have Andy Dalton ahead of Jared Goff, Kyler Murray, either of Foles or Trubisky, Bridgewater and Daniel Jones, There's others that I'm just not willing to call yet as they need time to prove if they have it or not.
    I think that unless he can get a contract with a guaranteed trade locked in that he should sit out and wait until somebody goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I agree with you about all those, bar Murray. Too early to tell yet with him but I would way prefer Murray over Dalton for the upside potential.

Probably same with Haskins and Jones even though I am not sold on either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd have Andy Dalton ahead of Jared Goff, Kyler Murray, either of Foles or Trubisky, Bridgewater and Daniel Jones, There's others that I'm just not willing to call yet as they need time to prove if they have it or not.

Why is it too early to call for Haskins, but not for Murray? Especially when the latter out performed the former in every aspect of play in their rookie season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats an interesting one, I would not have bet on him ending up there. Insurance against Dak holding out/playing hardball on a new contract I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Andy dalton went to TCU and is from Texas but what part I don't know so a Texas guy who will be loved by the fans. Dak might need to get this contract sorted and not okay so much hard ball. Is cam still sitting out there not signed ?

Dak Prescott has never missed a game since he came in to the league so I am surprised they went after a high level backup like Dalton. Nice deal for both sides though.

Newton is still without a team and probably will be until teams can carry out a proper physical. I really can’t see a logical landing spot for him though unless he is willing to sign a bargain deal like Winston and Dalton.

Well the rumour is that Prescott wants $150 million guaranteed as part of his deal which is believed to be a five year deal. I don't think anybody is worth that, maybe Mahomes but nobody else.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well the rumour is that Prescott wants $150 million guaranteed as part of his deal which is believed to be a five year deal. I don't think anybody is worth that, maybe Mahomes but nobody else.

Are you thinking they might pull the plug on Dak? Is the Dalton thing a shot across the bow to make Dak aware that they have a fail safe?

I like Dak but I do wonder if he is worth the kind of money he is looking for. They really should have wrapped all this up last off season for a reasonable number as soon as he eligible for an extension.

Are you thinking they might pull the plug on Dak? Is the Dalton thing a shot across the bow to make Dak aware that they have a fail safe?
    I think the Dalton move gives Jones the upper hand in negotiations because he now has a starting QB as backup so the threat of sitting out if the contract situation is not resolved isn't hurting the Cowboys so much. Pretty much every team is sorted at QB for the season right now so it's not like there'll be multiple teams jumping in to give Dak what's he's looking for.
    I like Dak but I do wonder if he is worth the kind of money he is looking for. They really should have wrapped all this up last off season for a reasonable number as soon as he eligible for an extension.
    I don't think he is. He isn't a top five QB for me anyways. The elite group includes Mahomes, Wilson and Jackson of the younger guys and then Brady, Brees and Rodgers of the older ones. He doesn't belong in that bracket.
    I'd have him in a group that includes Watson, Cousins, Ryan, Stafford and Carr. I don't think I'm being unfair to him there.
    He changed agents a while back and hired Todd France from Creative Artists. I think France is looking at this as his opportunity to move up in the power rankings of agents, he's already one of the leading NFL agents but I think if he gets Dak the highest QB contract in the NFL it will put him into the multiple sport bracket at the top of the chain.

Was it not shown by a lot of analytics sites that he was actually the best QB in the league last year, or top two at least?

• Advertisement

Was it not shown by a lot of analytics sites that he was actually the best QB in the league last year, or top two at least?
    Analytics deciding whose best. I'm sure I could find ways to make ten different QB's the best using analytics.

Advertisement