Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the worst web site?

Options
  • 16-03-2020 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Since we're all looking for entertainment in these corona days, I thought I'd start a thread on the web site that's most frustrating to use.

For me, the most frustrating Irish site has got to be the National Lottery site. They have a bug that I've told them about again and again yet they have done nothing with it and it's really frustrating. To reproduce, simply Log in (assuming you've already registered on the site). Then chose any one of a number of choices and it'll barf. A good example is to simply click "logout" on the top right of the logged in page. It gives a "5xx" error and only allows you to return to the homepage. When you repeat this, it works as it should.

Presumably there's a messup with some assumed session data or perhaps a nonce, but it's consistently reproducible which means that it should be very fixable. But is hasn't been.

Comments

RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Bus eireann - last updated for the y2k virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

RTE Player.

Agreed, followed by SpaceJam https://www.spacejam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

enricoh wrote: »
    Bus eireann - last updated for the y2k virus!

y2k wasn't a virus. It was a potential bug caused by legacy systems not being programmed correctly to rollover after 1999.

Not a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can't call it between Vodafone and RTE Player.

ETA..... just realised I meant the My Vodafone app.... but the website is as bad, I just don't use it as much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Daft.ie or argos.ie mobile sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

https://lingscars.com

Careful, she might appear here - again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Try any site which using the Trinity Mirror template.

The main media sites are just amazingly bad when you consider they are the ones with the greatest resources thrown at them and exist on the presumption of heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

No website.

Is the worst website.

tricky D wrote: »

You'd never manage to navigate it, but that site provides great entertainment in fairness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

tricky D wrote: »

That's a pretty well constructed site for what it is. I mean, it's nonsense, but it's well executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ling was on boards about 10 years ago and her Q&A is well worth the read. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63898510

Shortish rough version:
    Ling once appeared on Dragons Den and her eccentricity made a helluva impression though no investment accrued.
    Similar thread comes up a few years later and her site gets a mention.
    The system they have at base flags new site visitors live and they track.

The site is indeed a good reflection and execution, as you say, of the brand which is her and her eccentricity, and seems to work well for her.

Oh and Viz mag too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ling's Cars might be poor taste (depending on yours, I suppose) but I don't think that really counts as "the worst website".

DublinBikes.ie is the worst website. Dreadful to look at and to use. Probably cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Goodshape wrote: »
    DublinBikes.ie is the worst website. Dreadful to look at and to use. Probably cost a fortune.

Wow, that's poor.

I turned down a job offer earlier this year for a number of reasons. One of the reasons was that the company (won't mention it here) website was unresponsive and generally looked out of date which for a software company, is pretty unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Agree with those who mentioned Vodafone and RTE Player. And a special mention for AIB's online business banking.

It is the most counter intuitive piece of software I have ever had to navigate. It's odd, as their standard online banking for non-business customers is very well designed and easy to use.

Apparently there is a new business banking system being rolled out this year so hopefully it will be more user friendly.

Advertisement