Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭narmst

The restrictions aren’t clear on deli counters in forecourts are they?

24th March
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a7e66d-latest-guidance-on-public-health-measures/
    “ Cafés and restaurants are limited to takeaways and deliveries only.”

27th March
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/
    Does that mean it’s removed or they didn’t just think to mention it?

Local very busy forecourt deli selling rolls, wraps etc.
    4 or 5 girls on top of each other at the hot and cold counters. Impossible to have a distance between them as they’re moving about grabbing items to make up orders.

You also can’t practically force customers to distance. Been in several times and regularly see clusters at the counter to see what they’ll buy.

Restaurants are safer/different. They deliver so simple or there’s a collection counter with contactless and grab a bag and go.
    A deli counter has staff mixing around and customers on top of the glass display. I’m both sides distancing is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It was crazy in one of my local supermarkets this morning. Social distancing? What's that? It flew out the window, they should have stemmed the flow of people going in. They may do it later, or it may not get such a flashpoint in people.

But there was a queue outside right around the building waiting for it to open. And when it did, everyone was allowed pile in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Planet X wrote: »
    Yeah....was in that queue at about 6:50am.

Got my shopping done alright. Shelves fully stocked, no issues, well organised, a credit to Dunnes. ;)
    Even had flour!

I wasn't in a rush to go anywhere.........:)

Not being smart but did you really need to be in a queue for a supermarket before 7 a.m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

sligeach wrote: »
    See I read this last night:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0327/1126911-ireland-restrictions-covid19/

I haven't seen the list, but I would presume food production and delivery to supermarkets are essential services.

I know it says this further down:

But it's not crystal clear and with 2km travel restrictions, I'm just not sure if supplies will be affected or there'll be some bottlenecks.

You really need to read the whole thing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0327/1126921-essential-workers-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not being smart but did you really need to be in a queue for a supermarket before 7 a.m?

If you want to avoid a crowd then yes you probably do. Given its Saturday, the end of the week, perhaps the poster was low on essentials.

Its not like last nights announcement was forewarned and if the poster was low on supplies, one POV might be credit to them for now stockpiling previously.

You can't win with some people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Yeah I really don't get this.

easypazz wrote: »
    Yeah I really don't get this.

To get in, get out, and get done. It’s still going to be the quietest time.

I do my shopping (in regular non pandemic time) at 7am every Saturday morning. If I didn’t wake 8am for whatever reason I wouldn’t go til Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Here we go again with the STUPID PEOPLE !!!
    All down to dunnes / tesco / lidl to get the shopping .
    Passing local shops on the way .
    A lot of these people are single or MAYBE sharing with one other person .
    It's only for 2 weeks !!!
    A flat mate of mine is soon heading out to dunnes.
    I will put a 100 euro bet to win just 1 euro ...
    He will come in the door ... " complaining about the crowds and the panic buying"
    He said ... " but the local shop hasn't got everything ".
    Bollix.... It's a spar ... To mean to pay the extra 10 cents on the tea !!!

He will come in the door ... " complaining about the crowds and the panic buying"

2 weeks for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

things in spar usually cost at least twice as much. E.g. I usually pay 1 euro for colgate toothpaste which is 3 euro in spar. Pukka tea is normally about 2 euro a box it's 4 euro in spar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

No....I didn't need to.
    You're right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Huge queue outside my local Dunnes.

Was expecting this after further measures.
    I wonder how many actually need 'essentials' though.

The more people see and hear of these crowds, the more will join them.

It's embarrassing. Yet again. A country of selfish pigs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Did I need to get up at 6am. to let the dog out......every morning? No.

Did I need to bring her up a cuppa?......no, but I did.

Did I have to go back to bed? No, I made a coffee.

GavMan wrote: »
    If you want to avoid a crowd then yes you probably do. Given its Saturday, the end of the week, perhaps the poster was low on essentials.

Its not like last nights announcement was forewarned and if the poster was low on supplies, one POV might be credit to them for now stockpiling previously.

You can't win with some people

You did read that there were hundreds of people there from 6 a.m?

That's ridiculous tbh. Do people really have no food in the house that they need to be at dunes at 6 a.m in the morning?

This is idiots panic buying AGAIN even though we've been told repeatedly that there is plenty of food and supplies.

Plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭narmst

Maybe we should all practice being kinder. .

Bread, milk will be available.
    Let’s make sure a bit of empathy for each other equally available - we need that just as much.

We’re all in this together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

My local Centra has been delivering food locally for thr last 2 weeks and we have availed of this due to underlying health conditions. I sent in an order yesterday and they just replied to me and said "Unfortunately due to the lockdown, the government have said that grocery retail stores are no longer allowed to deliver. Apologies about this. I can arrange you order for collection if that's any help?"
    Is this true? I didnt hear or read anything on this.
    I'm so worried now, I don't know what we're going to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Normally do our main weekly shop on Saturday am, not going to chance it today. I have dug out enough stuff from the back of the freezer to get through until Monday, no harm to clear it out anyway. I can’t believe all these people panic buying, it’s completely unnecessary. We are probably the most food self sufficient nation on the planet, we are not going to run out of food ffs!!! Just buy enough to get you through and we will all be grand.

The amount of fresh food spoiling and going in to bins at the moment must be insane.

melonstar wrote: »
    My local Centra has been delivering food locally for thr last 2 weeks and we have availed of this due to underlying health conditions. I sent in an order yesterday and they just replied to me and said "Unfortunately due to the lockdown, the government have said that grocery retail stores are no longer allowed to deliver. Apologies about this. I can arrange you order for collection if that's any help?"
    Is this true? I didnt hear or read anything on this.
    I'm so worried now, I don't know what we're going to do.

I'd say they are using the latest measures to do away with deliveries.

Its probably a nightmare for them to operate.

I'd say they are using the latest measures to do away with deliveries.

Its probably a nightmare for them to operate.

Yeah they all jumped on it and got a share of the belly rubbing on instagram and facebook but I’d say a lot are fed up now the initial gloss has worn off and will use anything to stop.

So my options are click and collect with Centra or go and queue at Lidl....
    When my family are cocooning...

I'm really struggling to deal with this situation

• Advertisement

No neighbour nearby that would collect or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So with this latest round of restrictions, does it mean that when supermarkets run out of perishables and all goods for that matter, there'll be no deliveries of stock for the next 2 weeks?

And this is why we have the issue of panic buying. Would be great if people could educate themselves before clearing out the shelves of stuff that they’ll mostly end up throwing in the bin :rolleyes:

We're not living here long and neighbours seem to be elderly on our street. Family not close by

Might go and collect and ask them to bring the groceries to the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Gardai?
    They collected an elderly relation's meds in Cavan this week.

We're not living here long and neighbours seem to be elderly on our street. Family not close by

Might go and collect and ask them to bring the groceries to the car

Hopefully you get sorted. I’d say someone would put them in your boot for you, they might be doing that anyway as part of the collect service.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Gardai?
    They collected an elderly relation's meds in Cavan this week.

Yeah actually they might well do now that you say it. I had forgot about that.

Thanks . Will let ye know how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yeah they all jumped on it and got a share of the belly rubbing on instagram and facebook but I’d say a lot are fed up now the initial gloss has worn off and will use anything to stop.

I doubt that. It keeps their business going and it's a essential service at the moment. It's riskier having people coming into the shop.

Deliveries means fewer people moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 depcon

• Advertisement

Do Lidl not have times for the vulnerable?

Leo said last night that measures for those cocooning are being put in place, so contact your local TD / councillor and should be able to point you in the right direction.

In a lot of areas GAA, Soccer and rugby clubs are offering help.

So with this latest round of restrictions, does it mean that when supermarkets run out of perishables and all goods for that matter, there'll be no deliveries of stock for the next 2 weeks?

No....NO.

The supermarkets will still get their deliveries. Fresh fruit, vegetables, bread etc will still be delivered every day. EVERY DAY.

Nobody needs to panic buy. There is plenty to go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Thanks . Will let ye know how I get on

Where are you based melonstar?

beauf wrote: »
    I doubt that. It keeps their business going and it's a essential service at the moment. It's riskier having people coming into the shop.

Deliveries means fewer people moving.

If it was profitable they would keep doing it.

The supermarket have to hire extra pickers to pick and deliver all these orders.

Its all great for a week or two but this could go on for months.

I have checked my local Tesco and it is not possible to book a slot. It goes to April 17th.

Looks like home deliveries are being cut back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just saw the queue outside my local Tesco. In all fairness I don't believe it is down to panic buying, but due to limits on those allowed into the supermarket and keeping 2m between each in the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

ongarite wrote: »
    The 2km restriction is for exercise only.
    You can travel in isolation however far it is to your local supermarket

Ya, I got that after reading the RTE website this morning. I listened live to the conference at 8:30pm last night. A lot of it wasn't completely clear, with more concise information being added afterwards. Even just now, they're clarifying on the news bulletins that the 2km restriction applies to exercise.

• Advertisement

Ya, I got that after reading the RTE website this morning. I listened live to the conference at 8:30pm last night. A lot of it wasn't completely clear, with more concise information being added afterwards. Even just now, they're clarifying on the news bulletins that the 2km restriction applies to exercise.

They probably have another possible phase in this plan, such as the Gardai creating zones in urban areas around a supermarket and pharmacy and nobody from the area allowed in or out of the area in a car unless they have proof of going to an essential job.

Wherever the clusters are they will want to try and keep everybody in as best they can, otherwise new clusters will keep appearing.

At some point an "essential" worker may be issued with some form of pass by the Gardai showing where they work and where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

There’s an absolute fortune for the first new “we’ll do your shopping for you and deliver to your door” app to get their act together

The BuyMie app is an omnishambles when now was their time to make serious money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is it one person at a time in and out everywhere now?

No.
    Only where that's best course of action in food shops to ensure proper distancing.

Bigger shops restrict numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The 2km part was clear in the address last night.

No.
    Only where that's best course of action in food shops to ensure proper distancing.

I thought gatherings of more than 1 are banned?

All public and private gathering of any number are prohibited.

So by my reading of it 1 person only in shops, cars etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

No.

Lidl are limiting customers , thirty at a time in the store , and staggering letting people in , so there's no clustering in the aisles .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Any chance of getting queuing information on stores people are at or have been to time it took to queue rather than numbers might help folks wanting to go shops.

I thought gatherings of more than 1 are banned?

All public and private gathering of any number are prohibited.

So by my reading of it 1 person only in shops, cars etc.

A gathering is a planned grouping.

It's not a puzzle!!!

I know people are scared and confused, but ultimately use your common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No queue when I went in this morning, to the local supermarket but when I came out they were limiting numbers entering and a queue had formed.

Any chance of getting queuing information on stores people are at or have been to time it took to queue rather than numbers might help folks wanting to go shops.

For people who just need bread, milk, paper, don't forget your local small store or petrol station.

You can get a lot there.

A gathering is a planned grouping.

It's not a puzzle!!!

I know people are scared and confused, but ultimately nuse your common sense.

So if loads of kids in a housing estate randomly start going out onto the green to kick ball its ok as its not planned?

Pretty sure Leo said exercise alone, except if a member of your household wants to go with you, 2 metres apart.

I think it will be 1 person in a car very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I went to work this morning to be sent home.
    I went to Aldi. No panic buying going on really just weekly shops.
    What I found funny was there is one family who were demanding a lock down weeks ago and how people were greedy to be out and about.
    One person was in Aldi with a trolley of Easter eggs. She works in a nursing home.
    I saw her son in his twenties stroll out of Spar with sweets.
    They are the one's have a pop at people for leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

Fair play to the people that work in the Supermarkets - not an easy time for them or their families I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Looks like I missed out on the panic buying again. Why do I never know when I’m supposed to go panic shopping?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

MadYaker wrote: »
    Looks like I missed out on the panic buying again. Why do I never know when I’m supposed to go panic shopping?

It sounds like you are not an idiot and may well have a higher than average IQ. That's incurable I am afraid.

Sorry to be blunt but you may never see a reason or inclination to panic buy, never.

You are just going to have to learn to live with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement