Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

MadYaker wrote: »
    Looks like I missed out on the panic buying again. Why do I never know when I’m supposed to go panic shopping?

going to the supermarket is like a scene in the movie 1917, you know there has been a battle some time recently and all you can se is what is left over and with the slight air of tension that it could all kick off again soon :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

whiskeyman wrote: »
    For people who just need bread, milk, paper, don't forget your local small store or petrol station.

You can get a lot there.

Unfortunately these places have a bad reputation for price gouging and always having perishable items with short dates on them. It’s always going to be seen by most as the last resort, 9 pm on Sunday night option.
    Plus people who’ve lost their jobs are going for Tesco’s 59c sliced pan X 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

fullstop wrote: »
    And this is why we have the issue of panic buying. Would be great if people could educate themselves before clearing out the shelves of stuff that they’ll mostly end up throwing in the bin :rolleyes:
    I deliver cakes, and we have heard nothing to indicate that we are not to call to shops , so i'll keeping on delivering Happiness till im told to get off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

splinter65 wrote: »
    Unfortunately these places have a bad reputation for price gouging and always having perishable items with short dates on them. It’s always going to be seen by most as the last resort, 9 pm on Sunday night option.
    Plus people who’ve lost their jobs are going for Tesco’s 59c sliced pan X 3.
    Small shops dont usually gouge customers, most of them do a great job , particularly given the competition . If you lived in the UK you would see, most small shops are dumps. In my opinion irish small shops are way way better than anywhere else in europe .
    And dont forget the ****e they have to put up with, people looking for stuff, that bthey couldnt get in Dunnes, Tesco etc, and then whinging to the shopkeeper as to why he hasnt got it in stock. If they complained in the supermarket , no one would listen to them, but the poor local shop keeper has to take dogs abuse or hes the worst in the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Anyone noticed that your shopping is more expensive now?

Also why can't people give each other space? I have no problem standing back and waiting until someone is finished picking up whatever they want in the shop but why do other people find this difficult and get close to me, just wait until I'm done, it's basic cop on.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    For people who just need bread, milk, paper, don't forget your local small store or petrol station.

You can get a lot there.

And also support your local grocer veg shop if you have one - they’re well stocked and need the business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Anyone noticed that your shopping is more expensive now?

Also why can't people give each other space? I have no problem standing back and waiting until someone is finished picking up whatever they want in the shop but why do other people find this difficult and get close to me, just wait until I'm done, it's basic cop on.

I have noticed that and it's mostly elderly people nearly pushing you out of the way to get something. I literally had to remove myself several times from a situation with them on my weekly shop Thursday in Lidl mostly thinking about their health not mine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Qs outside the supermarket earlier when I was going to get a few bits for elderly relatives who are cocooning.

Walked past Dealz and nobody in it, went in and managed to get most of the stuff (including Brennans bread and Irish butter) there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Are the rules for Tesco Metro any different now? I visited like a week ago and they just added lines to the floor it was packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are the rules for Tesco Metro any different now? I visited like a week ago and they just added lines to the floor it was packed.

It should be as they have to limit numbers and keep social distance..... Or face been shut down.

I feel terribly bad for staff in these shops and security too.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Looks like there’s restrictions to online shopping too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

easypazz wrote: »
    So if loads of kids in a housing estate randomly start going out onto the green to kick ball its ok as its not planned?

Pretty sure Leo said exercise alone, except if a member of your household wants to go with you, 2 metres apart.

I think it will be 1 person in a car very soon.

If playing with each other using a ball or not NO as infection will spread as kids do what kids do and you dont want it passing from family to family.Washing hands before and after and using common sense prevails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

splinter65 wrote: »

Not the case around here. Local Soar and XL well stocked and prices as good as ever. Use by dates are no different to what we get in the bigger supermarkets. Not as good a range but all the essentials.

What have petrol stations been like? Haven’t been at one but have been expecting them to be haywire since last night.
    I need both diesel for the car and petrol for the mower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Petrol stations have been fine in my experience though do bring a pair of gloves with you for the pump. My local Circle K has markings on the floor to keep a 2 metre distance. The local Inver doesnt but its very quiet so you're generally the only person in the shop anyway.

Theres also no chance of fuel shortages with nobody travelling any great distances.

Was in Aldi a few hours back. Very quiet in there and good stocks of everything. Supervalue on the other hand was cleared out of bread and lots of fruit and veg was missing too.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Petrol stations have been fine in my experience though do bring a pair of gloves with you for the pump. My local Circle K has markings on the floor to keep a 2 metre distance. The local Inver doesnt but its very quiet so you're generally the only person in the shop anyway.

Theres also no chance of fuel shortages with nobody travelling any great distances.

Was in Aldi a few hours back. Very quiet in there and good stocks of everything. Supervalue on the other hand was cleared out of bread and lots of fruit and veg was missing too.

I might see will work buy a 1000 litre cube in case people start stock piling fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why would they stockpile though? We're on lockdown, its not like people are going to drive to Kerry and back. Most people will probably be doing less than 40 or 50km a week for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Small easter eggs that were 3 for 5 euro last week in dunnes are now 2.49 each.

I suppose they are providing a vital service at the moment so what can ya do.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Why would they stockpile though? We're on lockdown, its not like people are going to drive to Kerry and back. Most people will probably be doing less than 40 or 50km a week for the next few weeks.

I mean people buying it to sell once this is over and the price rockets back up. They could put a dent in supplies. I’m still going to be doing around 800-1500km a week myself.

Plus, we’re a nation of maniacs so will rush out to buy diesel with nowhere to go. Look at the shopping after people being told numerous times that food supplies are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Small easter eggs that were 3 for 5 euro last week in dunnes are now 2.49 each.

I suppose they are providing a vital service at the moment so what can ya do.

5 small for 5 in Tesco today. 2 large for 8 .

4 small for 4 in SuperValu yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I mean people buying it to sell once this is over and the price rockets back up. They could put a dent in supplies. I’m still going to be doing around 800-1500km a week myself.

Plus, we’re a nation of maniacs so will rush out to buy diesel with nowhere to go. Look at the shopping after people being told numerous times that food supplies are ok.

Only thing I'm buying to stockpile is Kerosene. 44.9 cent a litre . Casey's Roscommon town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What have petrol stations been like? Haven’t been at one but have been expecting them to be haywire since last night.

Passed 2 today, both quieter than normal. Nice to see a drop in the price of fuel, a plus I suppose from the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Dunnes store prices on basic stuff has increased steadily over the months.Moreso lately as compared to other shops. They all get the same items from the same place. And I'm sure at the same price. But since Dunnes do this voucher deal, it makes people shop and overpay just to use them.If anyone should be investigated for price gouging,it would be them.IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think people are shopping like that cos they think the supermarkets will run out (maybe an exception for pasta because of the situation in Italy) ... it's cos they want to be able to go weeks without needing to go to a supermarket at all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't think people are shopping like that cos they think the supermarkets will run out (maybe an exception for pasta because of the situation in Italy) ... it's cos they want to be able to go weeks without needing to go to a supermarket at all.

I doubt much of our pasta comes from Italy. More likely an industrial estate in Clondalkin or Sheffield or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

5 small for 5 in Tesco today. 2 large for 8 .

4 small for 4 in SuperValu yesterday.

Cheers.

I doubt much of our pasta comes from Italy. More likely an industrial estate in Clondalkin or Sheffield or something.

LIDL, Supervalu and Tesco own brand pasta comes from Italy.

If you've spotted pasta ingredients in a supermarket here that is made in Ireland please share.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    LIDL, Supervalu and Tesco own brand pasta comes from Italy.

If you've spotted pasta ingredients in a supermarket here that is made in Ireland please share.

Maybe not so, though I’d find it strange that it does. For something that would be so easily processed by machinery it’s mad nobody has started doing it here.

Maybe not so, though I’d find it strange that it does. For something that would be so easily processed by machinery it’s mad nobody has started doing it here.

No worries, I was surprised too when I checked. I thought the own brand stuff would come from Uk\Ireland and the premium stuff from Italy. But even the 65c lasagne sheets come from Italy.

Not sure how quickly factories here could tool up to produce it but given the increased demand here for non-perishable food and the drop in output from Italy they'd clean up, at least temporarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's absolutely no shortage of fuel and the prices are great now too.

• Advertisement

So I went to my Tesco Metro an hour ago, just when the sun set.
    There was a line of people stretching maybe 50 meters all outside waiting for their turn to get in.
    I decided not to stand in line, instead went for a walk around the block, returned and the line was only 20 meters so I joined it.
    Some woman was tailgating me on the side walk and ran in front of me to get first in the line. There was a Chinese guy with a massive bag. People fidgety and panicky but still following rules.
    The Tesco employee let me in after waiting about 10 minutes. The rule appears to be for every person leaving there is one going in.
    The woman that got in front of me was complaining there are not gloves. I had my own nitrile ones already. I don't think there was hand sanitizer out.
    Shelves are fully stocked inside apart from the toilet paper one being half empty. I grabbed the last washing up liquid from the shelf - I suspect they are only putting out a small number of bottles at a time.
    Most checkout machines are disabled for distancing reasons.
    Staff calm and professional, mostly in early 20s. Customers not as much.

So I went to my Tesco Metro an hour ago, just when the sun set.
    There was a line of people stretching maybe 50 meters all outside waiting for their turn to get in.
    I decided not to stand in line, instead went for a walk around the block, returned and the line was only 20 meters so I joined it.
    Some woman was tailgating me on the side walk and ran in front of me to get first in the line. There was a Chinese guy with a massive bag. People fidgety and panicky but still following rules.
    The Tesco employee let me in after waiting about 10 minutes. The rule appears to be for every person leaving there is one going in.
    The woman that got in front of me was complaining there are not gloves. I had my own nitrile ones already. I don't think there was hand sanitizer out.
    Shelves are fully stocked inside apart from the toilet paper one being half empty. I grabbed the last washing up liquid from the shelf - I suspect they are only putting out a small number of bottles at a time.
    Most checkout machines are disabled for distancing reasons.
    Staff calm and professional, mostly in early 20s. Customers not as much.
    Just to add - this is in middle of Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As soon as the announcement was made last night, I seen shops get over run....

Seriously if you were that stuck you should have had something to eat even something tinned.....

Hell takeaway were running perfectly...

Wonder was it mainly a rush on booze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I think Easter eggs are over priced even when on offer. 2 large easter eggs for £8, I got Maltesers and M&Ms, you just got 3 malteser rabbits with them and 3 wee bags of M&Ms. You could probably get 20 bars of wispa for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not panic buying. Staying away from the huge supermarkets and sticking with local Centra, Eurospar (which is pretty decent) . No queues and staying within my own cluster so to speak. The couple of quid more (if even that) is worth the stress relief.

We underestimate the value of these small local franchises in our Community.

Tesco off licence earlier had NO specials on any beer or wine....poor form but nothing you can do if you want to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Will the middle aisle in Aldi stay open given it's generally non food stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tesco off licence earlier had NO specials on any beer or wine....poor form but nothing you can do if you want to buy.

ya what about people who want to drink the next two weeks into oblivion

just have to do with homebrew i suppose :(

Happy4all wrote: »
    Will the middle aisle in Aldi stay open given it's generally non food stuff?

Their website for 'special buys' is greyed out after tomorrow so looks like not..

https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2020-03-29

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ya what about people who want to drink the next two weeks into oblivion

just have to do with homebrew i suppose :(

Not everyone wants to drink into oblivion but killing any specials is a bit off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Not everyone wants to drink into oblivion but killing any specials is a bit off.

It's a depressant , hardly what we need.

Happy4all wrote: »
    It's a depressant , hardly what we need.

Ah give it a break, a bottle of wine or a beer with dinner is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Why is there no flour? Bought over €100 of groceries today in Tesco and the only 2 things they didn't have were flour and hand soap.

The latter I can understand, but what's the story with the flour, there was none of any variety. Have we all decided to become artisan bakers while on lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

loyatemu wrote: »
    Why is there no flour? Bought over €100 of groceries today in Tesco and the only 2 things they didn't have were flour and hand soap.

The latter I can understand, but what's the story with the flour, there was none of any variety. Have we all decided to become artisan bakers while on lockdown?
    Clowns stocking up to bake for instagram likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People are baking because they need something to do also lots of peoples favourite cake shops, etc are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I find small shops to be better now, you'd be surprised how much stuff you can actually get in a good one.

People are baking because they need something to do also lots of peoples favourite cake shops, etc are closed.

Aldo using cooking as something to pass the time with kids, and you get to eat it too.

Personally, Aldi and Lidl have always had stock when I've been in. Odlams posted on their social media during the week that they have ramped up their production of flour to get shelves stocked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tell me about it ... we bake our own bread in a breadmaker, and when all this started we thought we'd be fine with a reasonable stock of flour and yeast, but we're coming close to running out and can't find strong flour or yeast anywhere now.

Alun wrote: »
    Tell me about it ... we bake our own bread in a breadmaker, and when all this started we thought we'd be fine with a reasonable stock of flour and yeast, but we're coming close to running out and can't find strong flour or yeast anywhere now.

Plenty of coarse flour out there- obviously people only want to make fancy shmancy loafs :D

As soon as the announcement was made last night, I seen shops get over run....

Seriously if you were that stuck you should have had something to eat even something tinned.....

Hell takeaway were running perfectly...

Wonder was it mainly a rush on booze.

Pleased to report my SuperValu yesterday afternoon was very calm, nicely stocked.
    Had to drive to cocooning relative today with grocery shop- hardly a soul out there - very few cars

• Advertisement
Advertisement