Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was in Dunnes for the first time since the restrictions started, god that warning message played over the speakers about every 3 minutes is annoying, its just far too frequent

It’s delivered in a particularly woke and smug Gen-Z style as well. I’m at a loss to know why the managers don’t just turn it off/down.

LIDL have also bizarrely started playing background music since the lockdown came in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The farmer isn't getting any extra money

€200 per week in Tesco?
    What are you buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Red Alert wrote: »

LIDL have also bizarrely started playing background music since the lockdown came in!

Is is some budget James Last tribute band playing schlager that they don't have to pay any royalty fees on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Does it not make sense to incentivize click and collect the longer this goes on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Ha, I noticed this too! :pac: Very strange. Kinda gives a post-apocalyptic-nothing-to-see-here vibe... keep calm and carry on shoppers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

zell12 wrote: »
    I see Lidl have increased basic ham slices from
    e1.99 to e2.15 and another e2.09 to e2.29
    It’s delivered in a particularly woke and smug Gen-Z style as well. I’m at a loss to know why the managers don’t just turn it off/down.

Yeah plus we are 8 weeks into this, I think everyone knows at this stage to stay 2 metres apart and to wash your hands. We really dont need Dunnes telling us this on a speaker ad nauseum. Was only in the store myself for about 15 minutes and must have heard it five or six times, I would pity the staff having to hear that almost a couple of hundred times per working shift.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah plus we are 8 weeks into this, I think everyone knows at this stage to stay 2 metres apart and to wash your hands. We really dont need Dunnes telling us this on a speaker ad nauseum.

Or the “in Ireland we’re friendly, and we love to show it” one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The farmer isn't getting any extra money

€200 per week in Tesco?
    What are you buying?

€200 is fairly mild compared to some of my shopping bills lately. :o

jlm29 wrote: »
    €200 is fairly mild compared to some of my shopping bills lately. :o

How many people are you buying for?
    Our shopping bill for 3 people per week is about €100

How many people are you buying for?
    Our shopping bill for 3 people per week is about €100

2 adults 4 kids. Two of the kids are in nappies too. I think I can actually see the path in the tiles that they’re wearing to the fridge.

• Advertisement

2 adults 4 kids. Two of the kids are in nappies too. I think I can actually see the path in the tiles that they’re wearing to the fridge.

4 kids? That needs planning
    Aldi nappies are half the price and better than most other nappies too.

4 kids? That needs planning
    Aldi nappies are half the price and better than most other nappies too.

Thanks. I never shop in aldi. I was using Lidl ones but I stopped liking them! I’m mainly shopping in dunnes at the moment, I found lidl (where i normally go, pre-pandemic) to be too chaotic and generally poorly prepared for corona. Have stocked up on rascal and friends nappies for my baby when they’re on special in Tesco, but I’m having to buy pampers for my nearly three yr old at the moment because he’s too big for size 6 and most brands stop there.
    To be fair, the nappies are the least of my troubles. It’s the 745 yoghurts they seem to consume every day, and everyone’s love of fresh strawberries and raspberries daily that’s driving it up :D. I’ve also picked up some summer clothes the last couple of weeks that’s added to my jaw drop at the checkout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Thanks. I never shop in aldi. I was using Lidl ones but I stopped liking them! I’m mainly shopping in dunnes at the moment, I found lidl (where i normally go, pre-pandemic) to be too chaotic and generally poorly prepared for corona. Have stocked up on rascal and friends nappies for my baby when they’re on special in Tesco, but I’m having to buy pampers for my nearly three yr old at the moment because he’s too big for size 6 and most brands stop there.
    To be fair, the nappies are the least of my troubles. It’s the 745 yoghurts they seem to consume every day, and everyone’s love of fresh strawberries and raspberries daily that’s driving it up :D. I’ve also picked up some summer clothes the last couple of weeks that’s added to my jaw drop at the checkout

Dunnes had nappies buy one get one free, offer ends tmw, Wednesday... They had loads left on Monday in my dunnes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah plus we are 8 weeks into this, I think everyone knows at this stage to stay 2 metres apart and to wash your hands.

I don't know, there's some right gob****es out there.

I was in dunnes on Monday, waiting in the queue. Guy about 15 people in front of me, he was wearing mask and gloves but was right up the guy in front of him arse. He actually walked into him at one point when the queue moved. I don't know how the guy in front didn't say something to him, I certainly would have.

The OH was in a queue for the local chemist, people in front of him and behind him the queue is fairly obvious as only shop open. Woman in her 50's tries to join the queue between him and the guy in front. Wasn't too impressed when the OH called her out on 1 standing very close to him and 2 skipping the queue. He was told he was very rude.

They were our only two outings in the week and both of us came home wondering wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

road_high wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see so many slipping out of this "emergency" mania that has stagnated the nation for two months now. The more that can go back to normal, the more pressure mounts on Leo/Harris/NPHET's Woke Plan for National Bankruptcy.

Not here as well! Wtf has any of that got to do with supermarkets? You're just posting the same conspiracy theory rubbish everywhere ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Polar101

Not really a supermarket, but I ordered some stuff from IKEA - they will deliver in July. Good thing I'm not really going anywhere for two months, but feels like they're taking the piss.

Yeah plus we are 8 weeks into this, I think everyone knows at this stage to stay 2 metres apart and to wash your hands. We really dont need Dunnes telling us this on a speaker ad nauseum. Was only in the store myself for about 15 minutes and must have heard it five or six times, I would pity the staff having to hear that almost a couple of hundred times per working shift.

You would think that wouldn't you but nobody is doing it. I work in one of the bigger dunnes in Cork and from what I see every day people only do the 2m distance when they are in the queue to get in and at the tills. It's a free for all on the shop floor. The vast majority of customers have no problem getting up close to staff and other customers. I'm sick of the announcements but I'm even more annoyed at people's ignoring them!

Dunnes had nappies buy one get one free, offer ends tmw, Wednesday... They had loads left on Monday in my dunnes :)

Thanks. Hoping to toilet train before too long, so will back to one in nappies for the first time in 3 yrs :)

Polar101 wrote: »
    Not really a supermarket, but I ordered some stuff from IKEA - they will deliver in July. Good thing I'm not really going anywhere for two months, but feels like they're taking the piss.

The stuff I want isn’t available for delivery. I’d love a jaunt up the M8 to IKEA, my list is getting longer and longer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Polar101 wrote: »
    When did you order? The OH ordered back in early April and it's getting delivered later this week because they suspended delivery for a few weeks. That means there's now a massive backlog that they're trying to sort through.

You would think that wouldn't you but nobody is doing it. I work in one of the bigger dunnes in Cork and from what I see every day people only do the 2m distance when they are in the queue to get in and at the tills. It's a free for all on the shop floor. The vast majority of customers have no problem getting up close to staff and other customers. I'm sick of the announcements but I'm even more annoyed at people's ignoring them!

I hear your pain man, you must be driven mad by those announcements. Like I said I was only in Dunnes for 15 mins but must have heard it five or six times. Its annoying enough as a customer but it must be enough to drive the staff around the bend.

Was more making the point that if people dont know to stay 2m apart by this stage almost 8 weeks in then constant announcements in store are not going to change their behaviour anyway, they are just ignorant idiots who couldnt care less about fellow shoppers and the staff.

Was reading the Village Butcher in Ranelagh was having hassle with customers, rule is one person in the very small shop at a time yet some people were furiously knocking their windows telling them to hurry up. They're now saying they wont be serving any more rude customers
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/we-will-no-longer-serve-rude-or-impatient-customers-dublin-butcher-1.4240145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Polar101

ixoy wrote: »
    When did you order? The OH ordered back in early April and it's getting delivered later this week because they suspended delivery for a few weeks. That means there's now a massive backlog that they're trying to sort through.

Yesterday. I think they listed the delivery date as July 3rd, or something like that. I only put the order through because I can manage till then, and I'm thinking it can't actually take that long.. but who knows?

Buy natural or greek yoghurt in large tubs and add your own fruit. Far healthier and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Buy natural or greek yoghurt in large tubs and add your own fruit. Far healthier and cheaper.

Buying fresh fruit isnt that cheap, but you could be onto something with frozen. I always have frozen berries in the freezer (not for cost reasons but just because I like them) and I use them with those big tubs of greek yoghurt to make overnight oats and they're nicer than fresh. I also put them in oat pancakes and they work better than fresh in that context too.

Was more making the point that if people dont know to stay 2m apart by this stage almost 8 weeks in then constant announcements in store are not going to change their behaviour anyway, they are just ignorant idiots who couldnt care less about fellow shoppers and the staff.

I hear ya, only problem is from what I see daily is that the ignorant idiots are unfortunately the large majority of shoppers. Its not just a few people, it's most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ixoy wrote: »

They wont deliver items that need 2 people to carry so hence the online selection is reduced.
    Looking to get a new desk off them but the delivery price is ridiculous ,74 euro to deliver stuff that only costs 150 euro.

I hear ya, only problem is from what I see daily is that the ignorant idiots are unfortunately the large majority of shoppers. Its not just a few people, it's most people.

Thats pretty crap really, people can be right d1cks. Im glad my local supermarkets aren't normally that busy anyway (rural area) so there is never enough people in store for it to get that messy. Id say it is a different matter in city centre supermarkets that have a lot more people living in their catchment area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

The idiots out there think that "the man/bouncer on the door is watching me so I had better behave", when no one is looking I should be OK because he can't see me.
    These are the same selfish idiots that make a big show picking up their dog dirt, and when no one is looking throw it in a corner somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Centra offering online shopping
    click & collect only
    https://centra.ie/beat-the-queue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

zell12 wrote: »
    Centra offering online shopping
    click & collect only
    https://centra.ie/beat-the-queue

Thanks for the headsup, it's a handy local option for me.

Note that you can login with a Supervalu account, if you have one.

Minimum order charge for click and collection is €45, which is a bit steep - Tescos is only €30. And there is a collection fee of €3 on top of that minimum order.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see the top brass have asked shops to stop special buys such as Lidl and Aldi as the queues were ridiculous from mad early and bursting themselves to get in....

Seen some Tesco have now closed of clothes section as they started a sale and people went crazy.....

Our Tesco is closing at 10 instead of 11 the last few weeks and if you even go in at 2135 they won't let you even use a small trolley....

An post are ran off their feet with all the post and parcels.... Sh1t loads coming in from China to such as wish and Ali express and so on...

Obviously people have short memory, I'd be doing my best to purchase from elsewhere if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

I shop every Tuesday morning in my local Aldi. Usually quiet and easy to maintain social distancing. I had to go to my local SuperValu today and it's a complete free for all, absolutely nobody adhering to social distancing. It seems to have become the new communal area just for the sake of hanging around. Nobody to deter this behaviour. Three ladies were standing inside the entrance with their empty trolleys who clearly haven't seen each other in a long time chatting casually, blocking people from leaving/entering while also blocking the sanitary station. They had no intention of moving. The queue was becoming larger because of this and was causing confusion. Inside the shop was worse. Hardly any room to maneuver. Complacency has set in.

alanzo27 wrote: »
    I shop every Tuesday morning in my local Aldi. Usually quiet and easy to maintain social distancing. I had to go to my local SuperValu today and it's a complete free for all, absolutely nobody adhering to social distancing. It seems to have become the new communal area just for the sake of hanging around. Nobody to deter this behaviour. Three ladies were standing inside the entrance with their empty trolleys who clearly haven't seen each other in a long time chatting casually, blocking people from leaving/entering while also blocking the sanitary station. They had no intention of moving. The queue was becoming larger because of this and was causing confusion. Inside the shop was worse. Hardly any room to maneuver. Complacency has set in.

I was in SuperValu today for the first time in weeks. It was sooo busy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Scorcher tomorrow so they are queuing at butchers, off licence, shops etc.....

It's the worst I've seen to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

alanzo27 wrote: »

And did you say "Excuse us ladies, can we get to the sanitiser and the aisles, please?".

I've found it works wonders in getting people to move along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Scorcher tomorrow so they are queuing at butchers, off licence, shops etc.....

It's the worst I've seen to date.

Not sure where you are but that ain't the forecast for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not sure where you are but that ain't the forecast for here.

Maybe not a scorcher but expect every bbq in Dublin to be fired up... and a run on burgers, ice cream etc at the shops.

On Saturday morning mist and fog will clear to give mostly sunny and dry conditions, although an isolated heavy shower is possible towards evening. Highest temperatures of 17 to 21 degrees, cooler near the coast. Winds mostly light, north or variable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have stopped going to Lidl or Aldi now .I used to do all my shopping in Lidl with the odd once a month trip to Dunnes .I now do it all in Dunnes as Lidl is quite simply not safe enough now . I tried the elderly queue in Lidl but it is of no benefit as t

The Dunnes near me is far more organised . Separate queue for over 60 , spraying trollies in the queue , spray and gloves and hand sanitizer as you walk in. Aisles very managable and no shelf stacking or staff in the way .Bins for gloves on the way out and hand sanitizer at the exit .

I will stick to Dunnes now despite it being more expensive but their safety aspect is way better than Lidl now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Just for anyone who this might assist, Tesco Liffey Valley (Fonthill) has now been added as a Click and Collect point on the website. Finally. It only took them what, 6 weeks?

Still no click and collect in Tallaght, Clondalkin, Rathcoole, Templeogue or Nutgrove, and no change to delivery areas either, but at least now it won't cost me a M50 toll if I want shopping.

Also SuperValu in Knocklyon, have started charging €3 for click and collect, where previously it was free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

Took 90+ minutes to get in to Tesco Clarehall this morning starting at 9 am. Queue didn't move for the first 45, it was bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've found it's a total write off going to Clarehall at the weekend, go mid-week at like 7pm onwards and it's usually a 20min wait max.

Opens at 7am, that's the time to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

bren2001 wrote: »
    Took 90+ minutes to get in to Tesco Clarehall this morning starting at 9 am. Queue didn't move for the first 45, it was bizarre.

I'll be honest if you see a big line at these supermarkets which is usually Tesco's or Dunnes your better off turning around and either going home or to a quieter newsagents. Go in the Early morning or late evening but your wasting your own time queuing up unless its a really short queue of 5 or 6 people. It's nuts in some places seeing such long lines and I'm honestly suprised that people are even bothering to line up like that rather than just leaving and coming back later.

Infini wrote: »
    I'll be honest if you see a big line at these supermarkets which is usually Tesco's or Dunnes your better off turning around and either going home or to a quieter newsagents. Go in the Early morning or late evening but your wasting your own time queuing up unless its a really short queue of 5 or 6 people. It's nuts in some places seeing such long lines and I'm honestly suprised that people are even bothering to line up like that rather than just leaving and coming back later.

I’m not in a city, so queues aren’t a major problem, but I have found in general the the queues aren’t as bad as they look. They move fairly quickly, and because Of the social distancing they look really long, but a lot of it is just empty space!

Infini wrote: »

It's been a 30 minute wait every other week. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. By the time I turn around, come back home and go back out at a different time, I would be as well just waiting.

I'll probably switch to Tesco kilbarrick from next week and go when it opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Opens at 7am, that's the time to go.

7-9am are elder hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Caranica wrote: »
    7-9am are elder hours?

Yes 7 - 9am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday is for 65+ only.

7 - 9am on Tuesday and Thursday is for Healthcare Workers only.

Weekends theres no time restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

bren2001 wrote: »

I think this is because the store allows a certain number of people go in, but once that capacity is met then no one gets in until someone lease. Your basically stood waiting on 40+ people to do their food shop, check out and leave before you can go in. I find the lines move much quicker later in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Sorry I really need to vent.
    So tesco have reopened their clothing department for their half price sale..

Separate queue just to buy clothes.. So very essential to be buying swimwear now.

I understand children are growing so kids clothes and also underwear/pyjamas would be OK. But how glam do you have to be under restrictions?

The amount of people in buying clothes, only to return them the next day for refunds..
    Two 'essential journeys' made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Piles of overpriced sanitising wipes in svalu and no need to use them

What's that all about

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    I think this is because the store allows a certain number of people go in, but once that capacity is met then no one gets in until someone lease. Your basically stood waiting on 40+ people to do their food shop, check out and leave before you can go in. I find the lines move much quicker later in the day.

That's the system all right. I have had no issue with waiting the previous few weeks. The longest prior was 45 minutes, I couldn't understand why it took twice as long this week when the queue wasn't *much* longer. Nor can I explain why I moved less than 10m in the first 45 minutes and that was only because people ahead of me in the queue gave up and left.

Advertisement