Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I just walk in to my local Lidl. Never a queue going in and only the normal queue at checkout. I go at about 9.30 am. midweek. I only go every two weeks. Other than that it is to the local Centra for bread and milk. I think it is about time of day and day of week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd rather not wake up at 6am on a weekend :pac:

That's fair enough. To me, I much prefer it to spending time in a queue. One big trolley load of stuff and its out of the way for at another week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

Dunnes cornelscourt had a separate entrance for their clothes section today! You could buy homewares when qeueing for grocery section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The people who did all the panic buying in March do they look back on that now with a sense of embarrassment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The people who did all the panic buying in March do they look back on that now with a sense of embarrassment?

I only wish I had panic bought, as I was left with little or no access to the shop for a month. It was almost impossible to get delivery, we had nobody to go the shop for us (cocooning before it was recommended due to serious health conditions and age), and when delivery came it was missing dozens of items. We have run out of essential items a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What panic buying?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I know one family filled up the garage with toilet roll

Car is stuck outside since no room for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Loozer wrote: »
    I know one family filled up the garage with toilet roll

Car is stuck outside since no room for it

If true, did they believe the virus caused explovise and frequent bowel movements?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I hope some of the stores start opening longer, at the moment in Dublin pretty much everywhere is closed after 10pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭phormium

I had already stocked up in early March, I happened to be in Dunnes picking up a few things only the day Leo made his announcement from New York about schools closing, I haven't had to go again until last Thursday, very handy to have a stash!

I did do one random visit to Iceland which is always practically empty to buy some soft drinks with all the lovely weather we have been getting.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Was it only Tesco that opened until midnight?
    Yeah Tesco was midnight, Supervalu was 11pm. Aldi/Lidi 10pm. It's now everything is closed at 10pm or before, all the small Centras and Spars are closed too. Most of the garages are all closed at 10pm. Not great for night owls like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Off to the supermarket.......

Shopping Bags - check!
    Shopping List - check!
    Earphones - check!
    Power Bank - check!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Off to the supermarket.......

Shopping Bags - check!
    Shopping List - check!
    Earphones - check!
    Power Bank - check!

:rolleyes:

Get me something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Sandz066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

I only wish I had panic bought, as I was left with little or no access to the shop for a month. It was almost impossible to get delivery, we had nobody to go the shop for us (cocooning before it was recommended due to serious health conditions and age), and when delivery came it was missing dozens of items. We have run out of essential items a couple of times.

Well there was and continues to be community volunteers and even Gardai available to help anybody with shopping etc so there was never a need to panic buy

McCrack wrote: »
    Well there was and continues to be community volunteers and even Gardai available to help anybody with shopping etc so there was never a need to panic buy

If you're self quarantining as a suspected case of the virus the last thing you should be doing is having contact with people who are then going to go on to have hundreds of contacts during the day.
    I got in enough non-perishables to get through such a quarantine period if needed, I don't for one second consider it panic buying.

There's risks like this...

Gardaí could become so-called Covid-19 “super spreaders” if they don’t wear face masks, a leading disease control expert has said.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/expert-calls-for-wider-adoption-of-face-masks-and-warns-gardai-could-become-super-spreaders-998878.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you're self quarantining as a suspected case of the virus the last thing you should be doing is having contact with people who are then going to go on to have hundreds of contacts during the day.
    I got in enough non-perishables to get through such a quarantine period if needed, I don't for one second consider it panic buying.

Gardaí could become so-called Covid-19 “super spreaders” if they don’t wear face masks, a leading disease control expert has said.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/expert-calls-for-wider-adoption-of-face-masks-and-warns-gardai-could-become-super-spreaders-998878.html

It's selfish, irrational and completely unnecessary to have stock piled on an off chance you might have to self isolate. People like yourself are selfish I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's selfish, irrational and completely unnecessary to have stock piled on an off chance you might have to self isolate. People like yourself are selfish I'm afraid.
    So if they bought extra supplies over a number of weeks prior to any lock down, well before even the first panic buy, that's selfish? When it didn't impact stock levels? Because not everybody stocked up on that insane Thursday - a number of us did it before that.

Off chance, in a global pandemic where forecasts of up to 70% of the population being infected were bandied about by governments? It was an entirely prudent and rational course of action.
    To describe it as selfish i.e. to not want to either be burden or have to rely on a haphazard volunteer structure or the gardai in a pandemic for food deliveries is a position with zero merit or foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah another expert, a whole worse than the fear the virus generates, some of them. There's a long and ever increasing list of people I hope never to hear from in public again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ixoy wrote: »
    So if they bought extra supplies over a number of weeks prior to any lock down, well before even the first panic buy, that's selfish? When it didn't impact stock levels? Because not everybody stocked up on that insane Thursday - a number of us did it before that.

I did the same , it was good for you and good for everyone else. when the panic hit you didnt need to go shopping so you didnt add to the queues

Im starting to go through the family stash, lots of tuna salad lunches now :D but again means I probably go shopping less or in and out quicker.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

silverharp wrote: »
    I did the same , it was good for you and good for everyone else. when the panic hit you didnt need to go shopping so you didnt add to the queues

Im starting to go through the family stash, lots of tuna salad lunches now :D but again means I probably go shopping less or in and out quicker.

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Theres a massive difference between those who bought a little extra to get them through a potential 2 week isolation versus those who went about bought 200 toilet rolls and 37 packets of pasta.

The former is pragmatic, the latter is selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

First of all that service was not available immediately - only when lockdown came in. Late in the day for the elderly and those with serious medical issues - it was clear we needed to cocoon from well before the government recommendation. So no, that service was of no use at the beginning as it didn't exist. I'm talking about the weeks when it was obvious to anyone with cop on that this was a serious situation, but while we were still being told it was all under control, and they weren't anticipating many cases in Ireland.

Also, I have an elderly parent with significant dietary issues and very specific requirements due to dysphagia and fussiness. It has been extremely difficult to get what was needed. It's also very hard to rely on volunteers to get enough shopping for 5 adults and 3 pets, all cocooning. Do you have much personal experience of cocooning and caring for elderly relatives and relying on these services yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I returned to Aldi after a 3 week break on Wednesday night at 9.20pm.
    Basically had the shop to myself apart from the staff who were busy getting ready for the following days specials.
    It makes a huge difference being open the extra two hours in the evening.

Sandz066 wrote: »

They all look the same with the mask on :P

Lidils Bordello :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

In the queue for my local aldi. 3 out of the 4 in front of me are couples. Not elderly...at a guess I'd say mid to late 30's.
    Are they incapable of going anywhere on their own? Do they need to visit the bathroom together? Is it emotional support for each other?

FFS it's on the radio and tv every day to shop singly. No reason for young couples to be stuck to each others sides in the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Do you think when the garden centres etc open up the supermarkets will be less busy?

I do wonder about couples in supermarkets. While a small percentage may need both people to do the shop, I do think the majority are using it as an excuse to get out of the house together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Zardoz wrote: »
    I returned to Aldi after a 3 week break on Wednesday night at 9.20pm.
    Basically had the shop to myself apart from the staff who were busy getting ready for the following days specials.
    It makes a huge difference being open the extra two hours in the evening.

Yes the return to the 10pm closing time is great, very quiet in the last hour, I find it's the best time to go, shelves usually freshly stocked too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

mfceiling wrote: »
    In the queue for my local aldi. 3 out of the 4 in front of me are couples. Not elderly...at a guess I'd say mid to late 30's.
    Are they incapable of going anywhere on their own? Do they need to visit the bathroom together? Is it emotional support for each other?

FFS it's on the radio and tv every day to shop singly. No reason for young couples to be stuck to each others sides in the shop.

Probably desperate to get out of the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yes the return to the 10pm closing time is great, very quiet in the last hour, I find it's the best time to go, shelves usually freshly stocked too.

Are all Aldi's open till 10 now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Are all Aldi's open till 10 now?

As far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

This might have been asked but I haven't been on the thread in ages.

Are people sanitising groceries, and if so, how? I'm in London so the risk here is probably higher. I've generally been trying to 'quarantine' groceries by leaving them in the bag in the hallway for as long as possible (generally up to 4-5 days) or wiping them down with antibacterial wipes before using them.

Frankly, I'm just sick of it now. I'm finding it very mentally draining. Most people I know aren't doing it at all and have all been fine, and I'm starting to wonder if the damage to my mental health during this time is going to be a bigger issue than the small (or perhaps even non-existent?) risk of not wiping down groceries. What is everyone here doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Are people sanitising groceries, and if so, how? I'm in London so the risk here is probably higher. I've generally been trying to 'quarantine' groceries by leaving them in the bag in the hallway for as long as possible (generally up to 4-5 days) or wiping them down with antibacterial wipes before using them.

Frankly, I'm just sick of it now. I'm finding it very mentally draining. Most people I know aren't doing it at all and have all been fine, and I'm starting to wonder if the damage to my mental health during this time is going to be a bigger issue than the small (or perhaps even non-existent?) risk of not wiping down groceries. What is everyone here doing?

Personally I'm not.

My opinion is a supermarket isn't all that a high risk especially if the store limits numbers and wipes down the trolley between shoppers.

I'm abit ocd about stuff before all this and I really didn't want another thing "to get in on me".

I'll take my chances with groceries.

I wash my hands after every single task when I'm cooking anyway (been like that before all this).

I would actually get paranoid that I'd over bleach the kids foods etc.... So no for me it's not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Washing down everything that needs to go in the fridge, leaving the rest in bags till the next day

• Advertisement

Washing down everything that needs to go in the fridge, leaving the rest in bags till the next day

This plus bread, as you might not think to wash hands after taking out a slice and popping it in toaster.

Milk and orange juice cartons etc, as they have a layer of condensation on the outside, could be higher risk for virus droplets. Probably not going to think to wash hands between making cup of tea \ coffee and drinking it.

Anything non-perishable I leave in bags in boot of car for couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I use a cheap baby wipe and spray it with Anti bac spray . I wipe the packaging down before putting away . I rinse the fruit under running water . I also wipe down the counter where shopping was . It takes a few minutes .. i also hang my reusable cloth shopping bags on the line for 72 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

None of the above and I'm fine. The only thing that has come into the house that I've sanitised was a box that came from China. Maybe if I was high risk I might but I'm not so I don't.

Personally I'm not.

My opinion is a supermarket isn't all that a high risk especially if the store limits numbers and wipes down the trolley between shoppers.

I'm abit ocd about stuff before all this and I really didn't want another thing "to get in on me".

I'll take my chances with groceries.

I wash my hands after every single task when I'm cooking anyway (been like that before all this).

I would actually get paranoid that I'd over bleach the kids foods etc.... So no for me it's not worth it.

I have the same...diagnosed OCD. It's pretty mentally tough to go from having a therapist trying to convince you that you don't need to wash your hands constantly and that the world isn't that dangerous to being in the middle of a pandemic and being told you should be doing the exact things you've tried so hard to stop.

For those who are quarantining groceries, are you doing it based on having read how long the virus lasts on different surfaces? Is a day or two likely to be grand? I've been leaving mine as long as five, but it seems a bit over the top and is annoying when you want something and it's packed away in the bag and not in the press.

This plus bread, as you might not think to wash hands after taking out a slice and popping it in toaster.

Milk and orange juice cartons etc, as they have a layer of condensation on the outside, could be higher risk for virus droplets. Probably not going to think to wash hands between making cup of tea \ coffee and drinking it.

Anything non-perishable I leave in bags in boot of car for couple of days.

Are you wiping down all the packaging? I'm never sure if it's a good idea, and the risk of contaminating the food is worse than the risk of virus particles being on the packaging. I've been trying to just leave it at least 24 hours.

My general way of operating has been to sanitise the hell out of, or quarantine, everything coming in from 'outside' so that once I'm home, I don't even have to think about it, and home can be a safe bubble where I don't need to wash my hands dozens of times a day, no matter what I've touched or used. But the sanitising is getting to me a bit. I got an online delivery today of over 200 items and it took forever to just put the fridge stuff away.

• Advertisement

Most food these days has too much packaging so I throw out the outer packaging as soon as I get home.

Wipe down everything else with some anti bacterial wipes.

You've a much bigger chance of catching it while at the supermarket than from the food you bring home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I completely understand that some people want to be sure and wipe the packaging down etc.

Up to everyone how far they go when it comes to prevention.

While virus can and will survive on surfaces, as the studies have shown, I can't really see that the whole pandemic was caused by virus particles sitting on the surfaces and getting transferred by one touching the infected surface and then the face etc...

At some point I just thought if that box of cereals is going to kill me I just can't see how I can protect meself.

Would love to see the numbers issued by each supermarket of their infection rates etc.

I just know that one had zero employees COVID 19 cases confirmed, only dozens on quarantine due to travel/not related illness etc, and only few on quarantine due to direct family member being diagnosed positive. And yet they haven't transferred it to anyone.

Bear in mind retail employees are mostly healthy and relatively young so some might not even notice that they had it in reality.

If you think about it and how many products these people handled and how many people they interacted with during that period that's a solid number.

Saying that better safe than sorry, but as there was no cluster reported within retail industry I feel that all the precautions, sanitazing stations etc worked very well.

I personally always use sanitizer in the way in and most I can see do, so good to see everyone does their bit and the risk is very low.

Let's keep the good job BTW.

Are you wiping down all the packaging? I'm never sure if it's a good idea, and the risk of contaminating the food is worse than the risk of virus particles being on the packaging. I've been trying to just leave it at least 24 hours.
    My general way of operating has been to sanitise the hell out of, or quarantine, everything coming in from 'outside' so that once I'm home, I don't even have to think about it, and home can be a safe bubble where I don't need to wash my hands dozens of times a day, no matter what I've touched or used. But the sanitising is getting to me a bit. I got an online delivery today of over 200 items and it took forever to just put the fridge stuff away.

From what I've read, there's not much concern about picking it up from something you ate with a knife and fork. The risk is from the packaging, you touch it, then touch your eyes, nose etc. Viruses need moisture, so waterproof packaging is a risk as it can survive on that layer until it dries out.

Trying to follow same strategy as yourself re: creating a safe bubble at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was doing cleaning it down, but then some expert dude on Claire Byrne said there was no need. And I read the same thing in a few places. So I stopped. Because we’re a family of six and it was destroying my soul.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I was doing cleaning it down, but then some expert dude on Claire Byrne said there was no need. And I read the same thing in a few places. So I stopped. Because we’re a family of six and it was destroying my soul.

Yeah, that's the thing. I find it really mentally destructive, especially as someone with OCD. I'm afraid I'm never going to be able to stop, even long after this is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Same here, seems the most sensible approach and least work.

As we learn more about the virus, the less I'm concerned about picking it up from packaging - but if we're just wiping down the fridge stuff it doesn't take too long to do.

Good point about bread, and stuff you might want to use on the day you visit the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I sanitise everything that comes in from outside. With groceries, I spend an hour washing fridge stuff and perishables (covering with soap, then rinsing). Some things are awkward, such as bread, fruit etc. so I ease up on the soap to avoid poisoning ourselves, but otherwise everything gets completely washed. Fortunately we have a spare bedroom where we can quarantine non-fridge/non-perishable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I sanitise everything that comes in from outside. With groceries, I spend an hour washing fridge stuff and perishables (covering with soap, then rinsing). Some things are awkward, such as bread, fruit etc. so I ease up on the soap to avoid poisoning ourselves, but otherwise everything gets completely washed. Fortunately we have a spare bedroom where we can quarantine non-fridge/non-perishable stuff.

What do you mean by ease up on the soap? Are you washing fruit with soap?

And bread?

Or I am reading it wrong way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

wonski wrote: »
    What do you mean by ease up on the soap? Are you washing fruit with soap?

And bread?

Or I am reading it wrong way?
    Grapes in a plastic punnet, for example: I put a small amount of soap on the outside of the box and then wash and very quickly rinse with a huge amount of water. And bread, if it's wrapped in paper (e.g. Brennan's), again I'll put a very small dab of soap on the packet before rapidly rinsing off. So far I've not managed to ruin any bread, fruit etc. but I'm hoping that's enough to remove most of any potential viral particles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Grapes in a plastic punnet, for example: I put a small amount of soap on the outside of the box and then wash and very quickly rinse with a huge amount of water. And bread, if it's wrapped in paper (e.g. Brennan's), again I'll put a very small dab of soap on the packet before rapidly rinsing off. So far I've not managed to ruin any bread, fruit etc. but I'm hoping that's enough to remove most of any potential viral particles.

Would it not be easier to buy a packet of wipes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement