Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Retro. wrote: »
    Stuff are mostly wearing gloves and behind screens

That's why they're not getting it

Might be where you are but they aren't wearing gloves or masks in any of the ones I've been in. Screens only at the tills, what about when stocking the shelves etc ??

Even with screens if 1 staff member gets it, they work in close proximity to other staff members, so point still stands, if 1 staff member had it and it was being transmitted in supermarkets you'd know about it. Shop would be closed for a deep clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The Department of Health said no breakdown was available of the jobs of those who had tested positive for the virus. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/supermarket-staff-largely-evade-virus-in-ireland-zs2wbb9xr wtf not?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Department of Health said no breakdown was available of the jobs of those who had tested positive for the virus. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/supermarket-staff-largely-evade-virus-in-ireland-zs2wbb9xr wtf not?

Unbelievable - such a simple stat to collect and some jobs worth decided it wasn't worth asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Posted it in the main thread but probably more appropriate here:

This is a long piece but worth a read, talking about the source of spread.
    It effectively come to the conclusion that apart from the spread withing households, you are in most danger of picking it up if you spend long periods of time in densely packed indoor areas with poor air circulation.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/coronavirus-covid19-exposure-risk-catching-virus-germs
    When assessing the risk of infection (via respiration) at the grocery store or mall, you need to consider the volume of the air space (very large), the number of people (restricted), how long people are spending in the store (workers - all day; customers - an hour). Taken together, for a person shopping: the low density, high air volume of the store, along with the restricted time you spend in the store, means that the opportunity to receive an infectious dose is low. But, for the store worker, the extended time they spend in the store provides a greater opportunity to receive the infectious dose and therefore the job becomes more risky.

So effectively if Supermarket workers aren't getting it, they are very unlikely to be passing it on to customers who only spend small amount of times in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If supermarkets were leading to lots of cases I think we would know by now. Surprising and encouraging considering any time I go shopping us mask wearers are in the minority. Good ventilation can make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It effectively come to the conclusion that apart from the spread withing households, you are in most danger of picking it up if you spend long periods of time in densely packed indoor areas with poor air circulation.

Similar to how people pick up the flu I suppose .
    Pubs are the ideal breathing ground for the virus especially the typical stuffy Irish pub with no air conditioning .
    I largely avoid them in December and January ,usually get a bad respiratory infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Posted it in the main thread but probably more appropriate here:

This is a long piece but worth a read, talking about the source of spread.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/coronavirus-covid19-exposure-risk-catching-virus-germs

So effectively if Supermarket workers aren't getting it, they are very unlikely to be passing it on to customers who only spend small amount of times in there.

This is why I always open windows on a bus whether it's cold or not....

Still people are closing windows and it's hot out.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

This is why I always open windows on a bus whether it's cold or not....

Still people are closing windows and it's hot out.....

I can never understand why the windows on the bus or DART are nearly always closed. I would imagine that having the windows open is good, or can the virus blow around if open?

If I could open a window on a plane I would.:)

Might be where you are but they aren't wearing gloves or masks in any of the ones I've been in. Screens only at the tills, what about when stocking the shelves etc ??

Even with screens if 1 staff member gets it, they work in close proximity to other staff members, so point still stands, if 1 staff member had it and it was being transmitted in supermarkets you'd know about it. Shop would be closed for a deep clean.
    I'm in one of the bigger cork supermarkets. Most of us have given up wearing gloves as they keep tearing every time you handle/open some boxes. It's easier to sanitise your hands regularly. Fortunately the company has sanitiser in every part of the shop/stockroom. There are cleaning staff who spend their whole day disinfecting all surfaces that are touched a lot, shelves, doors and handrails etc.
    As far as a know no one working here has had the virus. One lad I know of self isolated for two weeks as a precaution but tested negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl have pallets of eggs, they've even put them on offer
    Aldi have none
    in my locals anyway https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113673142&postcount=70

Why so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

You can't get the virus through your hands :D:D Gloves are not necessary anywhere. The only reason gloves might help is if they stop you touching your face - but then it adds risk when taking them off and disposing of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

zell12 wrote: »
    Lidl have pallets of eggs, they've even put them on offer
    Aldi have none
    in my locals anyway https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113673142&postcount=70

Why so?

My local Lidl, well, both of the two nearest to me, haven't had any free range eggs anytime I've been in for over a month.
    Aldi has had them the past 2weeks though. I've been buying them in the local shop before that which isn't ideal for me, but I've found those caged eggs never taste ok

Wasn't there an outbreak of bird flu just before Covid hit? I think that's a contributor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in a Lidl yesterday and they have a new traffic light system for gaining entry to the store. There is sensors counting people going in and out and TV screens up telling you to either stop and wait or go ahead and enter. It seems to let about 5 or 6 people in at a time.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was in a Lidl yesterday and they have a new traffic light system for gaining entry to the store. There is sensors counting people going in and out and TV screens up telling you to either stop and wait or go ahead and enter. It seems to let about 5 or 6 people in at a time.

Where was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In their flagship store in Tallaght, its right next to their corporate HQ offices so I presume it is being tested in that store before being rolled out nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd settle for the Lidl here having hand sanitizer on the way in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Tesco also rolling this out over the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tesco also rolling this out over the coming weeks.

They've been behind on everything since this began. A company who cleared 2 Billion in profit last year and they didn't do 24 hour delivery when the country needed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    They've been behind on everything since this began. A company who cleared 2 Billion in profit last year and they didn't do 24 hour delivery when the country needed it

Not saying their online offering is perfect but they have the most advanced delivery service in the country of any supermarket... if you're going to throw brickbats at supermarkets here for their online offering (including click collect) Tesco should be last in line!

Where is Dunnes online offering?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

Where is Dunnes online offering?

Dunnes didn't make 2 Billion in profit last year

Statutory revenue came in at £63.9 billion, an 11.2 per cent year-on-year growth, while statutory operating profit was £2.15 billion – a 17.1 per cent year-on-year uptick.A

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/04/tesco-hails-turnaround-as-full-year-profit-surges-34/

How much profit did Dunnes in ROI make versus Tesco in ROI?
    Supervalu have online deliveries.
    Dunnes have no online delivery.
    Those are the top 3 supermarket chains in ROI.
    Yet you are singling out Tesco??? Ain't gonna stick.

Where is Dunnes online presence?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    How much profit did Dunnes in ROI make versus Tesco in ROI?

Seeing as you asked

UK figures (ROI not coming up)

"Dunnes Stores’ UK division posts £700k pre-tax profit"

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/dunnes-stores-uk-division-posts-700k-pre-tax-profit-38574636.html

700k Versus 2 Billion (that's Billion with a B)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Seeing as you asked

UK figures (ROI not coming up)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/dunnes-stores-uk-division-posts-700k-pre-tax-profit-38574636.html

700k Versus 2 Billion (that's Billion with a B)

Thats profits for Tesco overall not just Tesco Ireland.

Also, what business is it of yours? They're a private company and they can do whatever they like wtihin the law. They don't have to invest in 24 hour delivery or whatever just because you say so. Also, who wants a 3am delivery slot?

Dunnes are privatetly owned and notoriously sectretive. They're also known for taking very tough stances with suppliers, landlords and their own low wage employees.

They are behind the curve in not having any online food offering, but again thats their choice.

Its none of your business, and thats Business with a B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

SozBbz wrote: »
    Thats profits for Tesco overall not just Tesco Ireland.

Also, what business is it of yours? They're a private company and they can do whatever they like wtihin the law. They don't have to invest in 24 hour delivery or whatever just because you say so. Also, who wants a 3am delivery slot?

Dunnes are privatetly owned and notoriously sectretive. They're also known for taking very tough stances with suppliers, landlords and their own low wage employees.

They are behind the curve in not having any online food offering, but again thats their choice.

Its none of your business, and thats Business with a B.

I never grocery shop in Dunnes
    They treat staff terribly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Staff in our local Dunnes wouldn't agree.

• Advertisement

I just don’t go near Dunnes because it’s crap. Like a halfway between SV and Tesco but good at neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Em, could they have physically done it though. Their warehouse is big but everything has its limits.

They like most of the retails and employees did the best they could. Wasn’t their fault people panicked for absolutely no reason other than to be greedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭JoeLapira

Having worked in SV, Tesco and Dunnes as both staff and management I must point out this really isn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Staff in our local Dunnes wouldn't agree.

Nor in our local Dunnes , most of the staff are there a long time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Our local Dunnes is fantastic, staff are fantastic and many of them have been there a very long time - not reflective of being treated like crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

No Dunnes Stores employees wearing face masks in my local Dunnes. Customers were wearing masks. Staff packing shelves and not social distancing from customers. In fact customers seemed invisible to the floor staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No Dunnes Stores employees wearing face masks in my local Dunnes. Customers were wearing masks. Staff packing shelves and not social distancing from customers. In fact customers seemed invisible to the floor staff.

Not really feasible or workable to have a fully stocked shop day long while maintaining a social distance from customers. It's mostly optics now for the supermarkets as far as I can see. Queuing for the most part seems to have disappeared and as long as things are cleaned and they've signage in place then I think they're happy enough with that. Tesco is especially difficult to get around due to the amount of staff picking customer orders.

No Dunnes Stores employees wearing face masks in my local Dunnes.

Which Dunnes?

Contact them on their social media and email. Leave a comment under their most recent Facebook post

It sounds silly but some retailers take notice of social media feedback before emails these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does anybody know of Dunnes are still strict about the one person per family rule?
    IE Different members of the same family want to buy clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭JoeLapira

Does anybody know of Dunnes are still strict about the one person per family rule?

We have eased this rule in the store I work in this week if that's any help and we have followed head office guidelines to the book so far.

JoeLapira wrote: »
    We have eased this rule in the store I work in this week if that's any help and we have followed head office guidelines to the book so far.

Thanks,
    I live in a small town and the supermarkets apart from one have always being relaxed enough about it mainly because we don't have the crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Thanks,
    I live in a small town and the supermarkets apart from one have always being relaxed enough about it mainly because we don't have the crowds.

We were in one yesterday as a family of three as we needed to get the little fella something particular. No issues, again as long as they're being seen to say the right thing then there's no real issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There was definitely a family of 4 in dunnes when I was there yesterday, and I’ve seen a couple of twos in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Tbh, when it comes to stocking shelves they haven’t much choice. If they keep stopping and starting and moving 2 m away from whatever they’re doing every time a customer faffs over which tin of beans to buy, they’ll be there all day. I would see it as the customers responsibility to make up their mind and pick up their items quickly and move past the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Dunnes was never strict on the rule. It was advisory only.

Sure people can queue one behind the other and meet inside :D

• Advertisement

Dunnes was never strict on the rule. It was advisory only.

Sure people can queue one behind the other and meet inside :D

One of my local shops were strict. British supermarket chain.
    A certain bossy employee.
    If a lady in her late 50's arrived at the door at 8:59 to an empty supermarket. She wouldn't let her in because she wasn't over 65.
    They've the queue marked out with a cord. If you arrive at the queue and there was nobody in it. You could basically walk to the top and stay away from her. She'd make you turn back and queue up correctly.
    She'd know people locally.
    She's always on a bit of a power trip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Been to two shops in the past week, where the person at the door were just letting people in. I thought it might be one out, one in type of system... But it hasn't been like that at. I watched for the person in front of me, if someone exited the shop but nope and again with myself, no one exited the shop and just allowed in.

Has anyone else noticed this? What's the point anymore?

Been to two shops in the past week, where the person at the door were just letting people in. I thought it might be one out, one in type of system... But it hasn't been like that at. I watched for the person in front of me, if someone exited the shop but nope and again with myself, no one exited the shop and just allowed in.

How large was the shop? Maybe they would only start limiting after X customers.

The big supermarkets in my area (D3) such as LIDL, Supervalu all have queuing in place.

Maybe the store hadn’t reached fully capacity yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They have clickers and only stop letting people in if the max capacity of the store is reached.

It's not like there are queues in every store every time.

Was the store overcrowded?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

wonski wrote: »
    They have clickers and only stop letting people in if the max capacity of the store is reached.

Thanks for clearing it up. I didn't see any clickers. First shop was crowded but second wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Most have clickers, but more recently some have just been chancing it and arbitrarily letting more people in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is that really the case now? Dropped into Lidl today and it was a normal Saturday afternoon with a fairly full car park and a lot of people in the shop in comparison with previous weeks. The queues have now gone and people were stopping to chat inside. What is happening, and should be anyway, is more tills open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

UK: less stock on shelves, prices go up in the past few months
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53023553

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

zell12 wrote: »
    UK: less stock on shelves, prices go up in the past few months
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53023553

I think here alcohol specials have certainly taken a hit since it all kicked off.

Advertisement