Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to Lidl in Bishopstown Cork today and it was an absolute dream to walk around the store - nice and spacious and very few there - might be because of the choice for shopping in the area - 3 other supermarkets in close proximity. Anyway, I’d nearly drive out there to get the bits I normally get in lidl rather than go to my local one in Ballyvolane (always way busier). There was hand sanitiser and rolls of hand towels that you could use to wipe your trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Maybe I should switch to Lidl in Bishopstown, I went to Dunnes, Ballincollig today during the allocated time for vulnerable/elderly/HSE and it was very busy. I wore a mask and I was surprised that very few people were wearing them. Found it a stressful experience as social distancing was impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Maybe I should switch to Lidl in Bishopstown, I went to Dunnes, Ballincollig today during the allocated time for vulnerable/elderly/HSE and it was very busy. I wore a mask and I was surprised that very few people were wearing them. Found it a stressful experience as social distancing was impossible.

Locally in my area Masks aren't being worn at all really. I'd say 1 in 20 are wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

The supermarket I work in I'd say 30% of customers are wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

zell12 wrote: »
    UK: less stock on shelves, prices go up in the past few months
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53023553

Well they had no competition and could charge what they liked for months. Little surprise to see these chosen retailers take advantage of their government given monopolies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

leahyl wrote: »
    Went to Lidl in Bishopstown Cork today and it was an absolute dream to walk around the store - nice and spacious and very few there - might be because of the choice for shopping in the area - 3 other supermarkets in close proximity. Anyway, I’d nearly drive out there to get the bits I normally get in lidl rather than go to my local one in Ballyvolane (always way busier). There was hand sanitiser and rolls of hand towels that you could use to wipe your trolley.

Yes, I was there myself this week. I'm doubtful that they make money there as there's hardly ever many people shopping. It's one of the new style Lidls with lots of space and less of the grim experience of the older ones. Lidl in Youghal have relocated across the road to a new shop which is along the same lines as Bishopstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So from the start it was don't wear them, now the top dog Tony is saying we should be wearing them????

It's very annoying and confusing and also it's something to me anyway that just doesn't feel right and looks mad.

I get the reason but I said at the start it's opening up for abuse and will lead to many crimes to be unsolved as people won't look out of place with faces covered... Seen many in the US before the protests and it's near impossible to identify.

So from the start it was don't wear them, now the top dog Tony is saying we should be wearing them????

It's very annoying and confusing and also it's something to me anyway that just doesn't feel right and looks mad.

I get the reason but I said at the start it's opening up for abuse and will lead to many crimes to be unsolved as people won't look out of place with faces covered... Seen many in the US before the protests and it's near impossible to identify.

It’s a hard one to do because, while it’s naturally better to wear them, they’re all too aware that peoples mentality will be to think that masks make them invincible and all distancing will go out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It’s a hard one to do because, while it’s naturally better to wear them, they’re all too aware that peoples mentality will be to think that masks make them invincible and all distancing will go out the window.
    I think they are still very lukewarm on them but are looking at what other countries have done and adopted some of their policies. As for pitching to the public, most are now convinced we have come through this so would not see the need for such masks. I do see most people attempting the distancing and even where there is no great scope for it the contact point is mere seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nobody from NPHET ever said don't wear a mask. They sat on the fence until now for some unknown reason. It's common sense that masks help reduce the spread. But thanks to the governments weak flip flopping on this I don't think masks will ever be worn by the majority here.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nobody from NPHET ever said don't wear a mask. They sat on the fence until now for some unknown reason. It's common sense that masks help reduce the spread. But thanks to the governments weak flip flopping on this I don't think masks will ever be worn by the majority here.
    They said it was good for someone who was infected but for anyone else that the evidence was weak. Even now "it's not great". Our very high levels of compliance with stay at home would be in part a reason for the decline. Shops enforcing customer numbers helped too. That few seemed to have contracted it in a supermarket suggest it was never a high risk environment.

But all I heard last few months was no need to wear them and Tony stated this.

Maybe they were afraid they wouldn't have enough for hospitals and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's common sense that masks help reduce the spread. But thanks to the governments weak flip flopping on this I don't think masks will ever be worn by the majority here.
    And that's why we rely on professionals to make recommendations, not our "common sense". There are downsides to masks being worn incorrectly which need to be considered. I don't want to turn this into the masks thread, but just looking at BLM protesters in Dublin all wearing masks while chanting and shouting slogans just shows how much of a false sense of protection wearing a mask can give. NPHET have to take all this into account and will review the evidence as it emerges to give their best professional recommendation.

They're not flip-flopping. They have been saying the evidence is inconclusive, but wearing a mask in certain situations is probably helpful. If the evidence becomes clearer, I expect a clearer recommendation will be provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they are still very lukewarm on them but are looking at what other countries have done and adopted some of their policies. As for pitching to the public, most are now convinced we have come through this so would not see the need for such masks. I do see most people attempting the distancing and even where there is no great scope for it the contact point is mere seconds.
    I distance personally when approaching people still, for a couple of reasons:
    1. I have no idea how nervous the person approaching me is. They may be out for a walk for the first time in weeks, maybe they have an at-risk relative. It's not much for me to make the effort.
    2. The contact may only be brief, and the risk is very low of spread when outside, but it's still not a big deal to largely eliminate the risk entirely.
    3. It sends a message that I am aware of the virus, and doing my bit as part of the community to reduce spread. If someone is strolling along in the middle of the path I generally assume they are someone who isn't much interested in their health or the health of others. Best to avoid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I get the urge in supermarkets to lick old people and then give them a Maori stare...its a new development but quite worrying, hoping it will pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

hmmm wrote: »
    And that's why we rely on professionals to make recommendations, not our "common sense". There are downsides to masks being worn incorrectly which need to be considered. I don't want to turn this into the masks thread, but just looking at BLM protesters in Dublin all wearing masks while chanting and shouting slogans just shows how much of a false sense of protection wearing a mask can give. NPHET have to take all this into account and will review the evidence as it emerges to give their best professional recommendation.

They're not flip-flopping. They have been saying the evidence is inconclusive, but wearing a mask in certain situations is probably helpful. If the evidence becomes clearer, I expect a clearer recommendation will be provided.

You have to see we're becoming outliers on out approach to masks. If we wait until the science is perfect then we risk being too late. The likes of Luke O'Neill and Sam Mcconkey have been calling for them for weeks if not months.

Even if we only mandated them in certain situations like shops and public transport, that would be a help.

People also need to get over the concept that a mask is for their own protection. My mask protects you and your mask protects me. So therefore we all need masks, even if they're only homemade.

Apparently there is going to be a campaign on the wearing of masks from today but I worry its too little too late. Without making it compulsory I think a lot of people will ignore.

SozBbz wrote: »
    You have to see we're becoming outliers on out approach to masks. If we wait until the science is perfect then we risk being too late. The likes of Luke O'Neill and Sam Mcconkey have been calling for them for weeks if not months.
    They also favour restrictions for a much longer period of time, McConkey in particular. Both are fans of eradication. We wouldn't even be in Phase One now if he were running the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

SozBbz wrote: »

Even if we only mandated them in certain situations like shops and public transport, that would be a help.

People also need to get over the concept that a mask is for their own protection. My mask protects you and your mask protects me. So therefore we all need masks, even if they're only homemade.

Apparently there is going to be a campaign on the wearing of masks from today but I worry its too little too late. Without making it compulsory I think a lot of people will ignore.

Tony was in favour of masks from Day 1. The people just did not listen.

The "people" listened to pretty much everything he said. Evidence is weak for general mask usage was the message and it's still only a qualified advisory message for usage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

:confused: No he wasn't

• Advertisement

He stated there was no definitive evidence that using or not using made much difference.

They are changing this now as they thought they would be over ran and care staff wouldn't be able to get them.

Hospital and nursing homes should have been the most looked after at the start and staff deployed to these to ease pressure and also train the staff better as many are on minimum wage if not less in nursing homes.

I'm glad I bring antibacterial wipes now as I see other drivers using the toilet and even with this all going on they don't bother washing their hands....
    Many of us are going the same but the dirt coming off surfaces inside the cab is actually such an eye opener.

We have been supplied with masks and it feels weird wearing them but as it's getting busier I feel more will start to use.
    I just wouldn't be comfortable wearing for a whole shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

He stated there was no definitive evidence that using or not using made much difference.

They are changing this now as they thought they would be over ran and care staff wouldn't be able to get them.

Hospital and nursing homes should have been the most looked after at the start and staff deployed to these to ease pressure and also train the staff better as many are on minimum wage if not less in nursing homes.

I'm glad I bring antibacterial wipes now as I see other drivers using the toilet and even with this all going on they don't bother washing their hands....
    Many of us are going the same but the dirt coming off surfaces inside the cab is actually such an eye opener.

We have been supplied with masks and it feels weird wearing them but as it's getting busier I feel more will start to use.

Funnily enough Tony was wrong - they are effective.

I’m still pissing in the hedge rather than use a public jacks. So many people don’t wash their hands in them even now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I had to visit two supermarkets this morning. As usual my local Dunnes Stores in Blackrock were only packing the shelves when we arrived, so little choice but plenty of staff making social distancing a joke. No staff wearing face masks, some customers were wearing facemasks but mostly not.

The usual overcharging at the checkout had me waiting around while the customer service staff member felt it necessary to double check the price of everything. This meant I had to stand around waiting for these to be done and overhandling of the produce that I had purchased.

As a result we needed to visit Lidl in Stillorgan to pick up the items that were still in boxes on the floor of Dunnes Stores.

In the lidl shop practically every customer was wearing a mask. Few staff about. Shelves piled high with produce. The only problem in this store was the haggard faced bint, wearing no mask who was openly hocking in the store wherever she went and over the goods on the shelves. She was disgusting. I am not sure if she was a 40 a day hocker or someone with a nervous tic of a cough but either way she should be wearing a mask. Before Covid, meeting someone like this would have been an unpleasant experience.

Dunnes Store can keep their money off vouchers. The extra price you pay in Dunnes for items soon erodes at the money off voucher.

I had to visit two supermarkets this morning. As

The usual overcharging at the checkout had me waiting around while the customer service staff member felt it necessary to double check the price of everything. This meant I had to stand around waiting for these to be done and overhandling of the produce that I had purchased.

In the lidl shop practically every customer was wearing a mask. Few staff about. Shelves piled high with produce. The only problem in this store was the haggard faced bint, wearing no mask who was openly hocking in the store wherever she went and over the goods on the shelves. She was disgusting. I am not sure if she was a 40 a day hocker or someone with a nervous tic of a cough but either way she should be wearing a mask. Before Covid, meeting someone like this would have been an unpleasant experience..

I think you visited Lidl between the elderly and vulnerable persons hour. Which may have being the reason why more were wearing masks, etc.
    I’d suggest staying out any of the supermarkets I’ve been in. It’s gone back to normal.
    No staff wearing masks and the odd customer.id include nurses, home helps, etc all going around as normal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice to see my local Aldi back to regular opening hours (Elysian, Cork City)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

They listened from day one in South Korea, Taiwan and the Czech Republic where the authorities made sufficient supplies of the highest grade masks available, free of charge, for the entire population. This could and should have been the case in Ireland also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

New traffic light system in Tesco Rathfarnham. Interesting that since it came in they've stopped giving healthcare workers priority and they now have to join the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

New traffic light system in Tesco Rathfarnham. Interesting that since it came in they've stopped giving healthcare workers priority and they now have to join the queue.

Well, healthcare workers aren't having to work as hard as they were at the peak of the virus.

If we hit another peak then obviously it would be good to prioritise them again but for now its probably less necessary as things stand at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well they would have no choice I guess as no one to check people's ID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They still have someone on the door though to check people aren't just walking in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tesco here have nobody at the door and no traffic light system. A spray and paper towels sitting in a table if you want to wipe down your trolley and an unlabelled spray which we eventually learned was hand sanitizer. Dunnes have a person in the door wiping down all trollies and ensuring everybody hand sanitizes. We'll be going to Dunnes in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Tesco here have nobody at the door and no traffic light system. A spray and paper towels sitting in a table if you want to wipe down your trolley and an unlabelled spray which we eventually learned was hand sanitizer. Dunnes have a person in the door wiping down all trollies and ensuring everybody hand sanitizes. We'll be going to Dunnes in future.

Not quite a supermarket but a large petrol station near me with one door has done a great job with a roped off area to enter and a different route to exit, even though it's just one door. Huge sign saying "enter this way" and hand sanitizer dispensers wall mounted on the way in. Still had someone absent-mindedly almost bump into me as I was leaving.

But the sanitizer will do exactly what you want once it's genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think he is saying it should be labelled, I saw some shops with hand sanitiser AND surface sanitiser. So people might not want to risk using some unlabelled spray on their hands thinking it might be harsh stuff not intended for hand use.

• Advertisement

There was nothing to say what was in it. The surface cleaner beside it was in the same type of bottle but had a faded hand written label in it.

When we asked a staff member was it hand sanitizer, she just shrugged and said "think so" and walked off.

There was nothing to say what was in it. The surface cleaner beside it was in the same type of bottle but had a faded hand written label in it.

When we asked a staff member was it hand sanitizer, she just shrugged and said "think so" and walked off.

Ok I get you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

A local supermarket has installed two sinks by their door, was a bit surprised, have to say prefer just the bottle of sanitiser, standing there washing your hands for the required time was a little odd, something to dry them with then was not nearby at all with the result that I just walked away in with wet hands. Think I'll be sticking to Dunnes too who have by far the best set up where I am.

In a small shop I was a few days ago there was in/out system but the trouble was if you didn't actually want to buy anything there was no way out except through the 'in' route or squeeze by the queue for the till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Tesco Dun Laoghaire has someone at the entrance to the shopping centre as well as the shop itself. Numerous people both internal and contractors employed to wipe down trolleys, self service units, baskets as well as shelves instore. Very impressive.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Tesco Dun Laoghaire has someone at the entrance to the shopping centre as well as the shop itself. Numerous people both internal and contractors employed to wipe down trolleys, self service units, baskets as well as shelves instore. Very impressive.

There seems to be huge differences between stores. This is really not good enough. Surely Tesco should have a standard approach countrywide on this. The one here certainly wouldn't encourage anybody to use it. The protocol you describe matches those in out local Dunnes Store though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

Dunnes here have two shops but in the one I go to they have a great system, marquees erected for trolleys and another for queuing. Someone constantly with the trolleys sanitising all returned ones and then another person by the door managing the queue, very efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

phormium wrote: »
    Dunnes here have two shops but in the one I go to they have a great system, marquees erected for trolleys and another for queuing. Someone constantly with the trolleys sanitising all returned ones and then another person by the door managing the queue, very efficient.

Same in my local Dunnes . I used to shop in Lidl but gave up as it was so badly organised . It seems to be down to the managers as I have heard other Lidls were ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Went to Aldi last night after 9,yet again I was the only person wearing a mask.
    Busy enough for a Thursday night ,alot of people seemed to be in for the specials ,people just wandering around picking stuff up and rooting around .
    Saw a good few people leave without buying anything .
    It all seems a bit lackadaisical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are getting grocery deliveries at the moment but just wondering what the situation is with Supermarkets right now ?
    Is the number of shoppers controlled ?

Drove up to the nearest Tesco yesterday evening. Car Park fairly busy but no queue outside. People coming and going and not a single mask in sight. 3 people standing having a chat outside with no distance between them.
    Didn't feel comfortable so didn't go in.
    What I wanted to buy was not that urgent.

Supermarkets have got back to almost normal around me. People just strolling in for a fee items and looking around,
    Even the place that was strict about only allowing one person per family in sort of gave up doing it because the shop used be almost empty with the policy and people shopped else where.
    Masks usage is very low amongst the staff and customers.
    People seem a lot happier in the shops again.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are getting grocery deliveries at the moment but just wondering what the situation is with Supermarkets right now ?

Drove up to the nearest Tesco yesterday evening. Car Park fairly busy but no queue outside. People coming and going and not a single mask in sight. 3 people standing having a chat outside with no distance between them.
    Didn't feel comfortable so didn't go in.
    What I wanted to buy was not that urgent.

Any around here are back to normal and even quieter at times than previously.

I don’t mean to cause offense by this but if your very strict about the guidelines, feel uncomfortable seen two people been near one another, really into mask usages, etc. You mightn’t like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SusanC10 wrote: »

Wednesdays at opening time for LIDL is usually pretty quiet time.
    Maybe a third of people wearing masks. Staff weren't wearing any even though on the floor bringing stock out.
    Social distanced queue was well marked out and there was a staff member on door monitoring numbers.
    When I was leaving there was a queue outside.
    Wiped down own trolley before use.
    Hand sanitiser dispenser on way in.
    At that hour, people aren't socialising, they are just in and out fast.
    Usually too early for people with kids also.

Think I read that tuesday and wednesday are the quietest days.
    Thursdays you get new specials on so that makes them busier days.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Usually too early for people with kids also.

Think I read that tuesday and wednesday are the quietest days.
    Thursdays you get new specials on so that makes them busier days.

I've kids... I leave them behind, always did, seriously life is too short for weekly shopping with kids in tow :D

Anyway that was just a cheeky aside :)

I've found Monday and Tuesday mornings in my dunnes very quiet, no queues, though I go about half hour after opening.

Mask usage is probably around 30% and generally customers are around 70% elderly at that time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

In Dunnes this morning. About 60% of customers wearing masks. None of the Dunnes Store workers were wearing masks. Even the lady manning the deli counter had no mask on which I thought was very bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement