Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just from what I see people are really reusing disposable masks all the time. They put them on because they have to and pop them in the car door for next time.

I do that with a surgical mask but slide it into a paper bag first.
    I only go to the shops once or twice a week.
    I re-use the mask a few times til it gets too battered.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just from what I see people are really reusing disposable masks all the time. They put them on because they have to and pop them in the car door for next time.

I use my disposable mask a few times .I take it off and hang outdoors for at least three days before using it again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A lot of people do see retail as very low risk and just go through the motions. I don't blame them at all. They are settings where you can usually socially distance fairly easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

is_that_so wrote: »
    A lot of people do see retail as very low risk and just go through the motions. I don't blame them at all. They are settings where you can usually socially distance fairly easily.

I live in a town and I find this. People are keeping apart unless they are together in a shop.
    What I find is they are a few locals who are big into mask wearing, going out rarely, etc and they’d be a bit hyper about things and they sort of make people take it less seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Maybe now with compulsory mask wearing, people may actually start shopping on their own rather than a family day out.

Random one item shops may also stop.

It will work out expensive if you need 2 or 3 masks each shopping trip, a couple of times a week.

Is that really what we want for the economy though? I had begun to go into shops in my local town, I won’t be doing that now - back to online, and Amazon is the least hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Multipass wrote: »
    Is that really what we want for the economy though? I had begun to go into shops in my local town, I won’t be doing that now - back to online, and Amazon is the least hassle.

I think people are massively overstating the inconvenience of wearing a mask. Its not that big a deal.

Morally if you'd rather fund Jeff Bezos and his shareholders, thats on you, but I won't be letting a public health measure put me off supporting local businesses.

I picked the worst possible day to get my glasses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

SozBbz wrote: »
    I think people are massively overstating the inconvenience of wearing a mask. Its not that big a deal.

Morally if you'd rather fund Jeff Bezos and his shareholders, thats on you, but I won't be letting a public health measure put me off supporting local businesses.

There’s where we differ. I don’t think people are overstating the inconvenience of it at all. I feel like I can’t breathe and feel panicky wearing it.

That said I see the need for it and will wear it but I don’t think all people will do it. People will be people. They’ll get away with it so won’t wear them.

And I think the government should be stepping in here to make it easy for people. Send a couple of masks to every household in the country. It might not solve it but it’s putting the onus back on the public which can then be followed up with fines etc where necessary.

Ultimately it comes down to no concrete direction from government and there will be a severe lack of policing.

We’ll have another wave of this by September. 2nd lockdown incoming without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Multipass wrote: »

It's not really about the economy though. (not the point I'm making anyway)

It doesn't take 4 people from a family to do a grocery shop.

If you want to go to a shopping centre in a group, go into various clothes shops together, fine, theses shops have a lay out compatible with social distancing.... Supermarket aisles don't.... Four people in an aisle make it inaccessible for everyone else.....

Most people, and I say this as a shopper and a former cashiers observation want to get in and out as fast as possible... Not be hanging around waiting for for a family outing to move on so they can then grab a box of rice or whatever.

I have no problem with masks, but I do think it's abit of a "lip service" as about 50% of masks I've seen are being worn arseways.

Most people, and I say this as a shopper and a former cashiers observation want to get in and out as fast as possible... Not be hanging around waiting for for a family outing to move on so they can then grab a box of rice or whatever.

Our local supermarkets must have the opposite approach to what you experienced.
    They all want people back in again together taking there time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Our local supermarkets must have the opposite approach to what you experienced.
    They all want people back in again together taking there time.

Our local supermarkets certainly don't and are actively announcing not to browse.

A huge increase in the numbers wearing masks here today already. People seem to think it's law from this morning. C90% in the supermarket, butchers and greengrocers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

There’s where we differ. I don’t think people are overstating the inconvenience of it at all. I feel like I can’t breathe and feel panicky wearing it

I got some cotton masks from a local laundry shop. Wearing them feels pretty much the same as having a t-shirt pulled up to your face.. not terribly uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A huge increase in the numbers wearing masks here today already. People seem to think it's law from this morning. C90% in the supermarket, butchers and greengrocers.

In town?

YFlyer wrote: »
    In town?

A town.

Our local supermarkets certainly don't and are actively announcing not to browse.

We have them to.
    The staff said to ignore them and the signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I was expecting that but I was in M&S (clothes and food) and would say 20% max wearing masks, including me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

A town.

Our town.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

I work in town. Most days go for a walk during lunch time. Sometimes, I might stop and browse in a shop. I am far less likely to do that now due to the mask thing.

I get the mask thing, however I dont like them so find my avoiding unnecessary shopping ( I do wear them shopping)

Shopping is such a miserable experience. Very sad times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Called in to Lidl Stillorgan today. There was this Bint giving her trolley a baby bath at the trolley bay outside the entrance. She was spraying the trolley all over, wiping it down etc. She had opted for the Premium wash by the look of things.

She was completely unaware that there were people waiting for her to move her arse out of the way. She then decides to arrange her shopping bags in the trolley, check the hair, before moving. She was wearing a mask and wearing gloves.

Inside at the bargain offers section there was a display of cherries on special offer. She stood in front of these loose cherries for about 10 minutes (nobody could get close) and picked up each cherry, examined it, then chose whether to put it in a bag or not. She handled and discarded dozens of the things.

I pointed out to her that she should not be mauling the cherries and to use the scoop provided. She just glared at me.

I have never wanted to give someone a kick in the hole as much in my entire life. Selfish, unaware, entitled BINT.

Can see a steady increase in children in the supermarket now too.

I doubt they are all single parents. Especially the two separate granny's with kids in tow.

Don't even get me started on putting the kids in the actual trolley (not the trolley seat... A 7 Yr old won't fit in there), seriously if your child can't handle a walk around the supermarket don't bring them....

Also granny's putting their shopping cart in the trolley..... Yeah I want all the crap on the wheels on my food...grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

From reading several posts here, may I suggest some of you consider home delivery or do you enjoy being this angry and judgemental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Called in to Lidl Stillorgan today. There was this Bint giving her trolley a baby bath at the trolley bay outside the entrance. She was spraying the trolley all over, wiping it down etc. She had opted for the Premium wash by the look of things.

She was completely unaware that there were people waiting for her to move her arse out of the way. She then decides to arrange her shopping bags in the trolley, check the hair, before moving. She was wearing a mask and wearing gloves.

Inside at the bargain offers section there was a display of cherries on special offer. She stood in front of these loose cherries for about 10 minutes (nobody could get close) and picked up each cherry, examined it, then chose whether to put it in a bag or not. She handled and discarded dozens of the things.

I pointed out to her that she should not be mauling the cherries and to use the scoop provided. She just glared at me.

I have never wanted to give someone a kick in the hole as much in my entire life. Selfish, unaware, entitled BINT.

Every woman ever.

Can see a steady increase in children in the supermarket now too.

I doubt they are all single parents. Especially the two separate granny's with kids in tow.

Don't even get me started on putting the kids in the actual trolley (not the trolley seat... A 7 Yr old won't fit in there), seriously if your child can't handle a walk around the supermarket don't bring them....

Also granny's putting their shopping cart in the trolley..... Yeah I want all the crap on the wheels on my food...grrrr

Children are allowed in shops ? Seriously they are not rabid dogs out to get you !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Children are allowed in shops ? Seriously they are not rabid dogs out to get you !!

No not at all they are walking viruses......

Amazing to see parents let them touch poles, the ground etc and then putting hands in mouth or eyes and sneezing on everything.....

The danger with the kids is they won't die put could easily pass on the virus as they are absolutely filthy....

Best way around this though is just think, anything you touch when out is covered in dirt and not nice dirt and stay clean yourself and be as careful as possible.

Still see many not even washing their hands after using a toilet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

No not at all they are walking viruses......

Amazing to see parents let them touch poles, the ground etc and then putting hands in mouth or eyes and sneezing on everything.....

The danger with the kids is they won't die put could easily pass on the virus as they are absolutely filthy....

Best way around this though is just think, anything you touch when out is covered in dirt and not nice dirt and stay clean yourself and be as careful as possible.

Still see many not even washing their hands after using a toilet....

That other poster was complaining about them being in the trolley,so they couldn’t have been touching everything. Fair enough, they were sitting in the basket part rather than the seat, which mightn’t be the perfect thing To do , but maybe they were doing that to be responsible. Not everyone has somewhere to send their children while they go shopping.

I'm aware of that!

However in a time when numbers of shoppers are restricted do you really need to have 2-4 children with you?

Unless you are holding your child's hand there's every chance they'll go wandering off.... If memory serves you were extremely indignant when a strangers child touched off you!

I was in dealz the other day and a mother was there with her two children, she had a face mask on. Her children were lying on the ground, sliding up and down the aisle while the mother talked to her friend, totally blocking the aisle off for everyone else. Then the smaller child probably about 3, gets up finds a bouncing ball decides to lick the ball, bounce the ball, lick the ball... But all good the mother has herself protected.

I have children, I leave them at home... Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

alentejo wrote: »
    I work in town. Most days go for a walk during lunch time. Sometimes, I might stop and browse in a shop. I am far less likely to do that now due to the mask thing.

I get the mask thing, however I dont like them so find my avoiding unnecessary shopping ( I do wear them shopping)

Shopping is such a miserable experience. Very sad times

Yeah, I just shop online except for food and groceries. Better off.

I'm aware of that!

However in a time when numbers of shoppers are restricted do you really need to have 2-4 children with you?

Unless you are holding your child's hand there's every chance they'll go wandering off.... If memory serves you were extremely indignant when a strangers child touched off you!

I was in dealz the other day and a mother was there with her two children, she had a face mask on. Her children were lying on the ground, sliding up and down the aisle while the mother talked to her friend, totally blocking the aisle off for everyone else. Then the smaller child probably about 3, gets up finds a bouncing ball decides to lick the ball, bounce the ball, lick the ball... But all good the mother has herself protected.

I have children, I leave them at home... Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

Fair enough , sorry , you are right . I was really only kidding but I do get your annoyance to be honest . If they can’t control the kids they should leave them at home

jlm29 wrote: »
    That other poster was complaining about them being in the trolley,so they couldn’t have been touching everything. Fair enough, they were sitting in the basket part rather than the seat, which mightn’t be the perfect thing To do , but maybe they were doing that to be responsible. Not everyone has somewhere to send their children while they go shopping.

My problem with children being in the main part of the trolley is their shoes are also in the main part of the trolley. While I appreciate a trolley isn't exactly hygienically clean, I'd rather not have worn shoes where I'm going to put my groceries.

I have never understood the need to put a child in a trolley, especially over the age of 5.

• Advertisement

Fair enough , sorry , you are right . I was really only kidding but I do get your annoyance to be honest . If they can’t control the kids they should leave them at home

:)

My problem with children being in the main part of the trolley is their shoes are also in the main part of the trolley. While I appreciate a trolley isn't exactly hygienically clean, I'd rather not have worn shoes where I'm going to put my groceries.

I have never understood the need to put a child in a trolley, especially over the age of 5.

This has gone on for decades. Nothing to do with Covid.

I wouldn’t work in a supermarket stock room/in loading lorries/etc if I was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wouldn’t work in a supermarket stock room/in loading lorries/etc if I was you.

There's an old saying in the catering business "what the eye doesn't see the chef gets away with".

Perception is everything.

Only purchases from the shelves should be in the trolley.

I have worked in a busy dublin city centre supermarket, I have also worked in a local supermarket, so I'm well aware.

I didn't think it was appropriate then and I still don't think it's appropriate to have a child's dirty shoes in a trolley that's used for fresh food.

When I worked in the supermarkets it was common practice to tell parents to get the child out... If child is too big for seat provided it's too big to be in a trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have been in supermarkets twice this week and compliance was around about 50%.

I think if it is going to be taken seriously then all the supermarkets need to get together and simultaneously announce that no mask=no service

Ive also noticed that hand sanitising at the entrance has more or less dropped off a cliff, most people I see arent bothering anymore

Dunnes Sores today was 100% of customers wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have been in supermarkets twice this week and compliance was around about 50%.

I think if it is going to be taken seriously then all the supermarkets need to get together and simultaneously announce that no mask=no service

Ive also noticed that hand sanitising at the entrance has more or less dropped off a cliff, most people I see arent bothering anymore

The hand sanitising and social distancing messages are getting lost with all the noise about masks. We need to get back to basics but some people have a mask fetish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think I might have a winner here.
    My local LIDL yesterday (small town but packed with tourists at the moment. Zero covid cases so far). A woman aged about forty, mask hanging on her chin with her teenage son (no mask) wandering around with their trolly LICKING ICE CREAM CONES!!
    The nearest place they could have bought the cones is 100 metres away so they had obviously walked down the road with them. Didn't even have the cop-on to finish them before going into the supermarket.
    I so wanted to go over and give her a bollocking but I was dissuaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've noticed since masks became a thing that some people are going around with them as if it was a suit of armour designed by Stark Enterprises, particularly thinking it's ok to basically go within riding distance of you, it's 2 meters regardless fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From reading several posts here, may I suggest some of you consider home delivery or do you enjoy being this angry and judgemental?
    Click and collect is also a good option, if available. Very quick and easy and nothing like someone else doing your shopping for you.

I've noticed since masks became a thing that some people are going around with them as if it was a suit of armour designed by Stark Enterprises, particularly thinking it's ok to basically go within riding distance of you, it's 2 meters regardless fools.

Did you not hear? If you wear a mask, you can cough away with no elbow to your mouth, stand of top of people while doing it, and you needn’t bother with hand sanitiser as you enter a shop. This is why we weren’t told to wear masks until now. The public health advice team knew that people were too f**king stoopid to realise that they’re not some magic covid shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jlm29 wrote: »
    Did you not hear? If you wear a mask, you can cough away with no elbow to your mouth, stand of top of people while doing it, and you needn’t bother with hand sanitiser as you enter a shop. This is why we weren’t told to wear masks until now. The public health advice team knew that people were too f**king stoopid to realise that they’re not some magic covid shield

Coughing into your elbow versus coughing into a mask?
    I think I'd prefer the latter.
    I've seen people with and without masks use sanitiser, or not.
    It's neither here nor there.

We didn't have enough masks.
    We now have enough masks and we've seen the figures from the countries which adopted mask wearing.
    We have seen the figures from health and care settings here when general mask usage was adopted.
    There's now indications that the virus can transmit via aerosols not just droplets if there is poor ventilation, so social distancing won't help.

All of these are the real reasons for the change in policy.

More on the main mask thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114123294#post114123294

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I was in Centra in Rathfarnham Village at lunchtime. Loads of youngish (20s and 30s) workers queuing at the deli counter then at the checkout queue to pay for their sandwiches and wraps. Literally not one of them wearing a mask. So selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Only a matter of time if and when they might get sick,Local cafe i go into twice a day as just across the road from where i work is only 2 in shop at a time and they are behind big screens so they are safe,notice on fridge says please use hand sanitizer before opening which they cant read or ignore.Any orders people are asked to vacate shop until called when order is ready no masks in use but distancing in use and the sad bit is close contact on benches while having their food.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Coughing into your elbow versus coughing into a mask?
    I think I'd prefer the latter.]

The masks that most people are wearing will not contain droplets. Basic respiratory etiquette needs to be observed even when wearing a mask.

Dunnes Sores today was 100% of customers wearing masks.

In our local Dunnes Stores in Blackrock, the staff were wearing visors...….I would much prefer if they wore masks. The visor just directs the wearers droplets downwards and are not captured. I know that a mask does not catch all the droplets but the mask wearer can also sneeze in to his arm.....

What happens if someone sneezes wearing a visor? Can't sneeze in to your arm...

Chuck it? Wipe it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Local chemist told me to clean with any type of bleach and reuse it but i had vinegar in a spray that i used instead,maybe dettol or milton could also be used.When badly marked or worn out i will discard it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In our local Dunnes Stores in Blackrock, the staff were wearing visors...….I would much prefer if they wore masks. The visor just directs the wearers droplets downwards and are not captured. I know that a mask does not catch all the droplets but the mask wearer can also sneeze in to his arm.....

What happens if someone sneezes wearing a visor? Can't sneeze in to your arm...

Chuck it? Wipe it?

The staff are in the store for hours on end, the visors provide protection a lot more comfortable than masked up for hours. You are only in the shop for a short period of time. Have some empathy.

• Advertisement

The staff are in the store for hours on end, the visors provide protection a lot more comfortable than masked up for hours. You are only in the shop for a short period of time. Have some empathy.

Protection for who? Is this about comfort or protecting each other?

Advertisement