Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Nibs05 wrote: »
    How were the supermarkets today, any madness, need to shop for my elderly mother tomorrow.

Everywhere will be horrendous tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Everywhere will be horrendous tomorrow.

Whats wrong with people ,the supermarkets will stay open ,you can get deliveries.
    Chicken little syndrome.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Whats wrong with people ,the supermarkets will stay open ,you can get deliveries.
    Chicken little syndrome.

God knows how people never learn but they never do. It’ll be treated like shops were closing for the 6 weeks tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Will capacity in shops be reduced? I see public transport capacity down from 50% to 25% (even with masks).

This could mean big queues outside shops.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Really busy this morning in the supermarket I work in, nothing like the last lockdown but exceptionally busy for a Tuesday morning with bad weather.

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

The whole "restricting numbers in store" didn't last long. All the gimics of green lights turned out to be a waste of money.

Example of a negative of masks. Everyone thought they were invincible and could go around as normal. Social distancing was replaced with mask wearing.

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The WHO are telling us to wear masks.

Elbow is with masks not instead of.

No way.

I tried this. I sneezed into my mask, was left with a wet and uncomfortable mask that I had to tweak with my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 galway_cowboy

The whole "restricting numbers in store" didn't last long. All the gimics of green lights turned out to be a waste of money.

Example of a negative of masks. Everyone thought they were invincible and could go around as normal. Social distancing was replaced with mask wearing.

Masks were dismissed by the WHO and pretty much every medical national body, right up until the economy and 2 metres in shop became too much of an issue... then all of a sudden masks were great, make sure to wear one while piling into the shops and yes, rat out on your friends or families if they don't wear one!

• Advertisement

No way.

I tried this. I sneezed into my mask, was left with a wet and uncomfortable mask that I had to tweak with my hand.

It did it's job then as a barrier, like a durex. Hope it was a disposable.
    Time to roll out a new one.

Masks were dismissed by the WHO and pretty much every medical national body, right up until the economy and 2 metres in shop became too much of an issue... then all of a sudden masks were great, make sure to wear one while piling into the shops and yes, rat out on your friends or families if they don't wear one!

If that was the reason they'd hardly be closing many retail outlets would they...
    (a) we didn't have the masks back then and (b) they were thinking about them as PPE.

But you're asked to wear one as a barrier to protect others, not as PPE for yourself.
    Unfortunately I don't think the authorities did a great job when changing their advice in explaining the different purposes for which you can wear masks.
    It'd be a much easier sell if the masks were as PPE, rather than as barriers in consideration of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Hi all,

Obviously I know single parents etc need to bring their children to the supermarket. But I dont understand why there are whole nuclear families taking their several children to the shops, with kids running around getting in people's faces with no masks on, and also with number restrictions taking up space and essentially delaying people getting in and out.

Say this morning, queuing up for a shop, nuclear family in front of me, letting their kids run up and down into mine and everyone else's faces (including elderly people), should there be guidance to leave your children home if at all possible ? The children were really making everyone feel uncomfortable with people stepping back and moving every time the kids came near them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I've seen teenagers going into shops without a mask, surely they can wear a mask or stay out of shops?

I don't know why people do this covid or no covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

I dont understand why there are whole nuclear families taking their several children to the shops

I do not understand this since March.. How smart they should be doing this. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The children were really making everyone feel uncomfortable with people stepping back and moving every time the kids came near them.

Everyone?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Everyone?

I didn't exactly do an opinion based survey with a sample size of 100%. Please forgive my colloquialism.

I didn't exactly do an opinion based survey with a sample size of 100%. Please forgive my colloquialism.

Or exaggeration.

Par for the course on here.

Why would anyone be afraid of young kids going around at a much lower level to them?

Or were they jumping up in the air and coughing into people's faces? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threads merged

Have you ever heard we currently have L5 lockdown and people expected to restrict their social contacts to minimal possible level, avoid public places etc?

• Advertisement

Or exaggeration.

Why would anyone be afraid of young kids going around at a much lower level to them?

Do you have a study that there is zero risk from kids running up and down screaming and exhaling droplets? Kids don't just face down you know ?

Or exaggeration.

Or they could just have one parent keep them the **** at home like civil people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have 4 kids, and would only bring the 4 of them to a supermarket in a dire emergency these days (by dire emergency, I mean- my husband is working and we have no food). Tbh, I have developed a great love of leaving them at home with their father so I can shop in peace, and I don’t think I’ll ever again take them all with me. I do not understand why two able bodied adults need to bring a few children shopping, surely it’s torture for everyone involved.

Thats me wrote: »
    Have you ever heard we currently have L5 lockdown and people expected to restrict their social contacts to minimal possible level, avoid public places etc?

Yeah, I have, believe it or not. :rolleyes:

And for some it seems to be just a chance to whinge about absolutely everything.

And for some it seems to be just a chance to whinge about absolutely everything.

People have been asked for a long time to have one person shopping. It’s about a bit of decency.

Common courtesy and cop on is not having a whinge !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm starting to get really pissed off with people who are doing their shopping in couples or with their children in tow in Level 5.

Now just want to say no problem whatsoever with a single adult with a child/children as nobody knows some ones circumstances + i have had to drop into local shop odd time myself with my child for bread/ milk but there is no need whatsoever for family of 5 to be all doing weekly shop together.

We haven't done a shop together as a family since March.

Even more annoying is the usually 20 something couples going around the supermarket like dopes with no idea what they are buying + blocking up every aisle.

Just sick of it today as takes forever to pack all your family shop on your own + I hate doing it but we are sticking to rules while others aren't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

appledrop wrote: »
    Just sick of it today as takes forever to pack all your family shop on your own + I hate doing it but we are sticking to rules while others aren't!

So your in the shop for longer ,with 2 would you be in and out quicker,less time with public the better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You’ve just to accept that a lot of people don’t care about these restrictions and your only option really is to shop online if it’s causing you a lot of concern and distress when shopping.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So your in the shop for longer ,with 2 would you be in and out quicker,less time with public the better?

The packing takes longer on my own + its just more hassle but overall I'm in + out much quicker as dont have my child with me + have a list so I fly around.

• Advertisement

You’ve just to accept that a lot of people don’t care about these restrictions and your only option really is to shop online if it’s causing you a lot of concern and distress when shopping.

I do shop online for everything else but not food.

I'm very fussy about my fruit, veg meat, dates for dairy etc. Online shopping is crap for food in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The packing takes longer on my own + its just more hassle but overall I'm in + out much quicker as dont have my child with me + have a list so I fly around.

Yeah ,can see that without the kids would speed it along, thank god mine are old enough to be left at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I work in supermarket. You can bring all your kids in tow for what I care. It could be the only family outing left for them, let them be.

Slightly different topic: imagine the mayhem in two weeks time when supermarkets are allowed to sell all xmas essentials and also clothes, lidl and aldi are gonna be having 3 days of specials per week! I can't wait to see the spectacle!

You’ve just to accept that a lot of people don’t care about these restrictions

No, we not have to accept this. The fact some people don’t care about restrictions means only stricter enforcement measures required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very noticeable today that there was a large increase in the number of people out and about, carparks full by 11 this morning, some stores that have been closed since level 5 back open again and when I went to collect an item from a well know electronic store they had at least 80 people inside with a queue of 20 waiting to get in.

As mentioned above plenty of parents with kids in tow milling around like it was an normal outing.

j@utis wrote: »
    Slightly different topic: imagine the mayhem in two weeks time when supermarkets are allowed to sell all xmas essentials and also clothes

Simpler to imagine the opposite: because of people don’t care about restrictions, government will have to extend L5 and no non-essential xmas essentials etc allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Economically that makes no sense at all and it'll make further lockdowns even more less effective.

Thats me wrote: »
    No, we not have to accept this. The fact some people don’t care about restrictions means only stricter enforcement measures required.

Well at this moment you’ve got to accept it because it’s whats allowed or you can stay at home.

because it’s whats allowed

Lol, it is not disallowed to bang yourselve's head against the wall. But you are smart enough to do not this, aren't you? :cool:

• Advertisement

I do shop online for everything else but not food.

I'm very fussy about my fruit, veg meat, dates for dairy etc. Online shopping is crap for food in my opinion.

I've been doing the online shopping with Tesco since April and can't really fault it .
    As long as you don't get an order on a Sunday or Monday the dates on the items are long and the quality of the fruit/veg is good.
    I find Tuesday and Fridays the best days to order.

I also go to Aldi once every 3-4 weeks and do a big shop there.

Its great not having to go into the shops anymore, even when Covid ends I will continue to shop online just for the amount of time it saves and its more efficient than shopping in store as I can see the specials more easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Zardoz wrote: »
    I've been doing the online shopping with Tesco since April and can't really fault it .
    As long as you don't get an order on a Sunday or Monday the dates on the items are long and the quality of the fruit/veg is good.
    I find Tuesday and Fridays the best days to order.

I also go to Aldi once every 3-4 weeks and do a big shop there.

Its great not having to go into the shops anymore, even when Covid ends I will continue to shop online just for the amount of time it saves and its more efficient than shopping in store as I can see the specials more easily.

I don’t know how dunnes haven’t entered the online market yet. That said, it’s always busy when I’m there, so maybe they don’t need to. The Tesco closest to me, and the SuperValu for that matter, are small, and wouldn’t have the same selection as dunnes, so I haven’t yet been converted to online. It helps that my husband who used think the food magically appeared in the cupboards has had to free up his calendar on a Sunday morning to stay home with the kids too though, so I’ve been enjoying the outlet.

Tesco are far better at not throwing you in the crap for an online shop than SV in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t know how dunnes haven’t entered the online market yet. That said, it’s always busy when I’m there, so maybe they don’t need to. The Tesco closest to me, and the SuperValu for that matter, are small, and wouldn’t have the same selection as dunnes, so I haven’t yet been converted to online. It helps that my husband who used think the food magically appeared in the cupboards has had to free up his calendar on a Sunday morning to stay home with the kids too though, so I’ve been enjoying the outlet.

My dunnes has started using the buyme app for online shopping. I've seen a couple of people with buyme hoodies wandering around the store so I presume they are the pickers.

I'm too contrary (plus I've worked in supermarkes) to trust anyone to pick my shopping.

If it was coming directly from the warehouse I'd be more tempted .

I tried Tesco click and collect and Supervalu click and collect.

The Supervalu operation was amateurish. Park outside, phone, wait 15 minutes for someone to come out with the shopping.

The Tesco one has a dedicated hut, you roll up, crates are ready in less than a minute.
    Tesco also much better at keeping online system up to date with what is actually in stock and providing subs.
    Tesco isn't perfect have had a few minor issue with missing items, and no subs on milk one time, but nothing major.

jlm29 wrote: »
    The Tesco closest to me, and the SuperValu for that matter, are small, and wouldn’t have the same selection as dunnes, so I haven’t yet been converted to online.

The online stuff usually comes from the biggest Tesco shops .
    I get the online shop from the Wilton store which is huge ,my local Tesco is much smaller so the online range is much bigger.

• Advertisement

Family outing in the shop today. A couple and their small toddler kid. The couple was masked up but the kid wasn't. It's beyond me why one of them wouldn't sit in the car with the kid but they would rather let their kid catch covid instead and bring him in.

Family outing in the shop today. A couple and their small toddler kid. The couple was masked up but the kid wasn't. It's beyond me why one of them wouldn't sit in the car with the kid but they would rather let their kid catch covid instead and bring him in.

The attitude is they are in school or a crèche for hours without one. So, why bother with one for the shop.

I think it’s great seeing all the kids and families out shopping again but they should make more of an effort with masks.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I tried Tesco click and collect and Supervalu click and collect.

The Supervalu operation was amateurish. Park outside, phone, wait 15 minutes for someone to come out with the shopping.

The Tesco one has a dedicated hut, you roll up, crates are ready in less than a minute.
    Tesco also much better at keeping online system up to date with what is actually in stock and providing subs.
    Tesco isn't perfect have had a few minor issue with missing items, and no subs on milk one time, but nothing major.

I’ve experienced the exact opposite but probably depends on the area. Supervalu is park in the bay, hit intercom, and they’re out within 30 seconds with the order in cardboard trays you can take home. Tesco is done in the car park with no queueing system so unless the very busy fella doing it is watching, you could wait half an hour and some prick can pull up closer and he’ll go to them first.

The attitude is they are in school or a crèche for hours without one. So, why bother with one for the shop.

I think it’s great seeing all the kids and families out shopping again but they should make more of an effort with masks.

They should absolutely make more of an effort with masks. Not just in shops but in schools as well. I don't know why kids here aren't wearing masks, I'm sure some kids can get covid bad, surely it's worth protecting those few by all of them wearing masks?

Everyone should make more of an effort with masks, such a simple thing that makes so much of a difference and you could easily argue we wouldn’t be in half the mess without them. A lot that won’t wear them or make their offspring do so are just anti authority, but are the ones complaining places are closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement