Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They should absolutely make more of an effort with masks. Not just in shops but in schools as well. I don't know why kids here aren't wearing masks, I'm sure some kids can get covid bad, surely it's worth protecting those few by all of them wearing masks?

I don’t think people are overly concerned about their kids getting very sick from Covid maybe passing it onto granny.
    It’s the government guidelines tough. Even the parents that send their primary school kids to school with them they are taken off and put back on for mammy to see in the evening.
    With the secondary school kids masks are taken off every chance they get. I’ve even seeing them sharing them at lunch time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Went to my local Dunnes today, and saw a woman take off her mask near the fabric conditioners shelf - and then she started opening some bottles to find out which smelled the nicest (I assume). Wouldn't really want to see that during normal times, and definitely not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Polar101 wrote: »
    Went to my local Dunnes today, and saw a woman take off her mask near the fabric conditioners shelf - and then she started opening some bottles to find out which smelled the nicest (I assume). Wouldn't really want to see that during normal times, and definitely not now.

Tame enough really. In pre Covid times I recall seeing a grown woman tasting the different salads in the salad bar with the communal spoons. Wide be a pity to bring home one she didn’t like I suppose. I will never as long as I live buy from any thing that Is serve yourself and unwrapped in a supermarket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

How have people's experiences with using Aldi via Deliveroo been?

I'm a big fan of their food so I'm thinking of placing an order

• It says the delivery is Contactless. True?
    • It says delivery within 45 - 60 mins of your order. Is it really that fast?
    • Do you get a text from Deliveroo confirming times etc in the same way DPD give you a time window?
    • How has your experience with Aldi via Delieveroo been in general?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    • Do you get a text from Deliveroo confirming times etc in the same way DPD give you a time window?
    Cheers

Have you checked out what items are actually available from your store?
    I had a look at what I could order from my local one in D3 when it first launched and it was a very limited selection of items.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you checked out what items are actually available from your store?

Yes, there's a good selection with the one nearest me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Cheers

I haven’t used it yet but my local Aldi, in East Wall, is one of the participating stores and there seems to be a steady stream of Deliveroo drivers coming in and out so it is being used.

Saw one Deliveroo driver park in a disabled space while he went in to collect his delivery. When he got back, he’d been clamped. Not sure how much they get paid but he’d need a lot to compensate for the €125 fine, ouch!

Will be very useful to use before Christmas to dodge the queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

A family member has cancer. As a result I've been so careful. Was in Supervalu in Ballyroan this evening and a womann came in with a buggy and 3 other kids. The 3 kids who all looked 8-9 were just allowed tear around the place. I was standing quietly in the queue, one child ran past me and another banged right into the back of me. Bear in mind I have avoided hugging my own nephews and nieces since March, including at the funeral of a much loved relative, due to caring for a cancer patient. . When I looked exasperated this child gave a roll eyed 'jeeze what's wrong with her' look to his brother/friend.

Made me feel absolutely awful, like a cranky wagon whem I was just upset that a random child could basically come right up against me when kids I really love have had to stay 2 metres away for 8 months.

Childminder strolled up a couple of minutes later, uncaring that her charges had been running around, socially distancing from nó one. Some people really have no cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

A family member has cancer. As a result I've been so careful. Was in Supervalu in Ballyroan this evening

Are you out of the reach of any Tesco delivery?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

A family member has cancer. As a result I've been so careful. Was in Supervalu in Ballyroan this evening and a womann came in with a buggy and 3 other kids. The 3 kids who all looked 8-9 were just allowed tear around the place. I was standing quietly in the queue, one child ran past me and another banged right into the back of me. Bear in mind I have avoided hugging my own nephews and nieces since March, including at the funeral of a much loved relative, due to caring for a cancer patient. . When I looked exasperated this child gave a roll eyed 'jeeze what's wrong with her' look to his brother/friend.

Made me feel absolutely awful, like a cranky wagon whem I was just upset that a random child could basically come right up against me when kids I really love have had to stay 2 metres away for 8 months.

Childminder strolled up a couple of minutes later, uncaring that her charges had been running around, socially distancing from nó one. Some people really have no cop on.

My dad has cancer as well, in his 70s. My outlook is not clouded in the same way yours is though. Not sure it's just about cop on that others are lacking but maybe perhaps a brodelrine irrational level of fear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

My dad has cancer as well, in his 70s. My outlook is not clouded in the same way yours is though. Not sure it's just about cop on that others are lacking but maybe perhaps a brodelrine irrational level of fear?

I'm actually caring for my family member who's in their eighties, undergoing treatment and been warned by the hospital that she's extremely vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

I'd go with delivered shopping as you can't rely on others to be considerate for you, especially with kids; no masks and running around shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I went to Aldi last night at 9pm and it was deserted.
    I hadn't been there in 5 weeks as I use Tesco delivery now for the weekly shop but I still do a big shop in Aldi every 3-4 weeks.
    If you can go to the Supermarkets after 9 do , its much quieter and the shelves are still well stocked.

Are we going to get longer hours soon? As close to 24 hour as possible would be brilliant.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I went to Aldi last night at 9pm and it was deserted.
    I hadn't been there in 5 weeks as I use Tesco delivery now for the weekly shop but I still do a big shop in Aldi every 3-4 weeks.
    If you can go to the Supermarkets after 9 do , its much quieter and the shelves are still well stocked.

Going after nine generally means the place is quieter but you may have trouble getting what you want.
    Last night places were quieter because of The Toy Show.

Are we going to get longer hours soon? As close to 24 hour as possible would be brilliant.

Maybe, Lidl and Aldi have extended their opening hours a bit.
    They are opening at seven and closing at eleven around Christmas week.
    Some of the larger Tesco/Dunnes might do it. However it all depends on how well stocked they are from previous experience you’ve to go out the next day to get veg, bread, etc because they were so poorly stocked.

Going after nine generally means the place is quieter but you may have trouble getting what you want.
    Last night places were quieter because of The Toy Show.

I generally find Friday nights after 9 to be very quiet.
    I only stumbled upon this by accident as I thought Fridays would be very busy so avoided them for years.
    I've been pleasantly surprised though.

I generally find Friday nights after 9 to be very quiet.
    I only stumbled upon this by accident as I thought Fridays would be very busy so avoided them for years.
    I've been pleasantly surprised though.

Yes I agree with you. Most nights are similar.
    Generally the night of The Toy Show things can be very quiet tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Anyone notice a lack of special offfers in tesco over the last couple of months wondering if only down the country?

• Advertisement

speckle wrote: »
    Anyone notice a lack of special offfers in tesco over the last couple of months wondering if only down the country?

Any items in particular?
    I think their was a period when I noticed this but it’s sort of settled down now.

Any items in particular?
    I think their was a period when I noticed this but it’s sort of settled down now.

I see yellow tags on unhealthy in excess comfort foods crisps/choc/sweets but earlier in the year there were more special offers on loads of things from soup to beans to fruit to toothpaste to petfood.. every aisle had some yellow tags. Many pensioners survive on those special offfers. Just worried they think they have a monopoly on customers now. I have given up shopping there. I got a friend to check the other tescos in the main town of my county and they noticed it too.

I see yellow tags on unhealthy in excess comfort foods crisps/choc/sweets but earlier in the year their were more special offers on loads of things from soup to beans to fruit to tootpaste to petfood.. ir every aisle had some yellow tags. Many pensioners survive on those special offfers. Just worried they thing they have a monopoly on customers now. I have given ul shopping there. I got a friend to check the other tescos in the main town of my county and they noticed it too.

Actually I’ve found my sweet offers have declined but still notice offers on healthy stuff!
    I did notice earlier in the year offers slowed a bit there and in Supervalu and may have got used to it.

I see yellow tags on unhealthy in excess comfort foods crisps/choc/sweets but earlier in the year there were more special offers on loads of things from soup to beans to fruit to toothpaste to petfood.. every aisle had some yellow tags. Many pensioners survive on those special offfers. Just worried they think they have a monopoly on customers now. I have given up shopping there. I got a friend to check the other tescos in the main town of my county and they noticed it too.

Aldi have hardly any stuff marked down since the Pandemic started.
    I used to get stuff 50% off like meat, pizzas, fish etc but they changed that to 30% off and its on very few items now compared to before.
    I guess they are doing more business so stuff is lying on the shelves less time .

In saying that a couple of the staff were checking out a mountain of produce and putting it into wheelie bins as I was leaving last night.
    A terrible shame, surely it could be given to charity .

Aldi have hardly any stuff marked down since the Pandemic started.
    I used to get stuff 50% off like meat, pizzas, fish etc but they changed that to 30% off and its on very few items now compared to before.
    I guess they are doing more business so stuff is lying on the shelves less time .

In saying that a couple of the staff were checking out a mountain of produce and putting it into wheelie bins as I was leaving last night.
    A terrible shame, surely it could be given to charity .

My local Aldi various their stickers I found in the past.
    The supermarkets are generally good to donate stuff now I find and if they don’t they may have been some issue.

Actually I’ve found my sweet offers have declined but still notice offers on healthy stuff!
    I did notice earlier in the year offers slowed a bit there and in Supervalu and may have got used to it.

Thanks....Is that online or instore... btw I found out by accident sometimes differences in produce available online via desktop versus mobile.. some technical glitch I was told.
    I am taking about in store in person re my post.

• Advertisement

My local Aldi various their stickers I found in the past.
    The supermarkets are generally good to donate stuff now I find and if they don’t they may have been some issue.

I wonder are they donating maybe less now because of health and safety?

I wonder are they donating maybe less now because of health and safety?

I know local two people collect the stuff and bring it somewhere from the some of the Supermarkets and if there was some issue the shop could be left with the stuff.
    Most stuff is packaged, etc but it’s hard to know.
    They may have been a issue with a fridge, etc also.

Thanks....Is that online or instore... btw I found out by accident sometimes differences in produce available online via desktop versus mobile.. some technical glitch I was told.
    I am taking about in store in person re my post.

In store I rarely look online.
    Online sites can be messy in my experience.
    I set up another account on the Tesco website and put my address down as living near one of the bigger Tescos and I got to see a lot more stock/offers before.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Restocking happens overnight, if you've ever been in a 24 hour Tesco, it's mental with stockers and boxes everywhere so I doubt we'll get that.

But they should open later, midnight would be ideal. Our Tesco was midnight before COVID and they reverted to 10pm and now 11pm.

Be surprised If tesco are going 24hr...if they do it will only be for few days around 20/21st dec....90% of restocking and online picking will be at night..heard there opening to 1am at some point in December

Some difference this week. Went for opening as normal and queues to get in, car park looked like a Saturday afternoon and I leaving. I think the only thing that wasn’t different was that they still only opened one till.

• Advertisement

So many rotten arseholes with their offspring in tow too. Great way to teach your child to be selfish at least.

I just saw The Square in Tallaght put up their opening hours Dunnes are staying up to 10 and then 12 in the week before Christmas.
    Tesco are going until twelve and then dooming 24 hours for two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So many rotten arseholes with their offspring in tow too. Great way to teach your child to be selfish at least.

Worst is at the self checkout when about 9 of the same family cloud around one til, could they not just wait outside at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Worst is at the self checkout when about 9 of the same family cloud around one til, could they not just wait outside at this stage?

victor-meldrew.jpg?w=480

victor-meldrew.jpg?w=480

Sterling contribution there.

It’s a valid point. There’s no reason for two parents and their kids to be doing the shopping at the moment. Absolute pricks.

It’s a lovely sight to see.
    I just love how worked up people get about it.

How dare you these kids should be at home watching RTE.:p

A lovely sight to see? You’re just trolling at this stage churning out crap like that.

You could just about understand it if any of them were capable of controlling their spawn.

A lovely sight to see? You’re just trolling at this stage churning out crap like that.

No it's not trolling people have had enough of this lockdown crap 2,000 deaths and that is with the figures being fiddled.
    A long way from the 85,000 deaths we got warned about.

We have God given freedoms if you don't like it stay at home.

A lovely sight to see? You’re just trolling at this stage.

Nope, I think if your so terrified of a few people in a shop you should order online, ring the supermarket and get them to do your shopping or ask a family/friend to help you or even the Gardai if your really stuck.

• Advertisement

Nope, I think if your so terrified of a few people in a shop you should order online, ring the supermarket and get them to do your shopping or ask a family/friend to help you or even the Gardai if your really stuck.

I live online ordering for the elderly or health staff working huge hours. Helps to at least try to be decent. People like you are what has all this a lot worse than it should have been.

You could just about understand it if any of them were capable of controlling their spawn.

:(

And you say other people are trolling.

:(

And you say other people are trolling.

What? They don’t. They let them run wild as soon as they’re in the door.

What? They don’t. They let them run wild as soon as they’re in the door.

Calling people pricks and calling their children spawn you need to get a grip.

Calling people pricks and calling their children spawn you need to get a grip.

Grand, if you don’t like spawn then I apologise. It’s just a phrase I use like offspring, I don’t mean anything else by it. I still stand by it that the adults of two parent families doing the shopping as a group at the moment are pricks though. A small bit of consideration goes a long way.

In fairness though, you’re only pulling me on it because you don’t agree with me. Saying you love to see full families out shopping and taking up the self service area is a rotten thing to say, the only thing there is that you agree with them so you don’t let it bother you.

Sterling contribution there.

It’s a valid point. There’s no reason for two parents and their kids to be doing the shopping at the moment. Absolute pricks.

I am exempt from face coverings and I get out as much as possible and in work the 2 meter rule has long been forgotten about.
    Even the morons who wear the makes have them around their chin half the time.

This Covid bull has brought out the worst in people and brought out the worst people.

I live online ordering for the elderly or health staff working huge hours. Helps to at least try to be decent. People like you are what has all this a lot worse than it should have been.

How have I made things worse?

I am exempt from face coverings and I get out as much as possible and in work the 2 meter rule has long been forgotten about.
    Even the morons who wear the makes have them around their chin half the time.

This Covid bull has brought out the worst in people and brought out the worst people.

Like I said, I do see them as pricks. It’s not a decent thing to be doing currently, that’s the worst of people in my opinion.

Grand, if you don’t like spawn then I apologise. It’s just a phrase I use like offspring, I don’t mean anything else by it. I still stand by it that the adults of two parent families doing the shopping as a group at the moment are pricks though. A small bit of consideration goes a long way.

In fairness though, you’re only pulling me on it because you don’t agree with me. Saying you love to see full families out shopping and taking up the self service area is a rotten thing to say, the only thing there is that you agree with them so you don’t let it bother you.

Don't misunderstand me I am not angry with you nor am I attacking you.

I believe the whole situation we are living in is crazy and the reaction had been overblown I am only shouting to try and bring a big of sanity back into our lives.

Two parents out shopping with their children what's the harm really?

Edit anyway have to leave it there as this thread has reminded me I need to grab something from the shops and the chemist.

• Advertisement

Don't misunderstand me I am not angry with you nor am I attacking you.

I believe the whole situation we are living in is crazy and the reaction had been overblown I am only shouting to try and bring a big of sanity back into our lives.

Two parents out shopping with their children what's the harm really?

Edit anyway have to leave it there as this thread has reminded me I need to grab something from the shops and the chemist.

It’s harm because they’re walking past a huge sign asking for one person per trolley (if it’s a single parent thing then fine, they have to shop). There’s absolutely no need two parents to go shopping together currently when space is limited, let alone if it means bringing the whole crew along.

Advertisement