Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Nope, I think if your so terrified of a few people in a shop you should order online, ring the supermarket and get them to do your shopping or ask a family/friend to help you or even the Gardai if your really stuck.

It's not about being terrified though!

My supermarket is extremely busy at all times of the day.

I made the mistake at the start of going on a Friday morning and being in a queue for 3 hrs (why didn't I leave , well my mother in her 70's was hounding me to go so I assumed she really needed the shopping , himself had rejigged work to look after the kids, so leaving and coming back wasn't an option) ..... anyway the point is if you have 3/4/5 people from the same household they are increasing queues unnecessarily. They also block the aisles making distancing impossible.

If families want a day out together there are plenty of parks etc, a supermarket isn't a community centre/social club.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

You are using wrong supermarket. My supermarket providing online ordering and delivery therefore i do not need to waste my time in queues with a risk to be exposed to a virus, everything i need is just delivered to my door ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's not about being terrified though!

I made the mistake at the start of going on a Friday morning and being in a queue for 3 hrs (why didn't I leave , well my mother in her 70's was hounding me to go so I assumed she really needed the shopping , himself had rejigged work to look after the kids, so leaving and coming back wasn't an option) ..... anyway the point is if you have 3/4/5 people from the same household they are increasing queues unnecessarily. They also block the aisles making distancing impossible.

If families want a day out together there are plenty of parks etc, a supermarket isn't a community centre/social club.

Well if you know the situation in the supermarket.
    You’ve plenty of other options to get your shopping. If it’s to much for you.

Doing a grocery shop is not too much for me at all.

It would appear that having abit of consideration for others is too much for some people.

There’s not if you’re a decent human being. The same as following a few simple guidelines shouldn’t be too much for an evolved person.

• Advertisement

Doing a grocery shop is not too much for me at all.

It would appear that having abit of consideration for others is too much for some people.

This same poster has said they love seeing overcrowded shops so they’re obviously only trying to wind people up.

There’s not if you’re a decent human being.

Well you know the situation and people don’t care.
    If you don’t like the situation you’ve plenty of other options to choose from.
    However from what I can see it’s the usual crowd of moaners who’s complaining about people in the shops and they are loving it.

Well you know the situation and people don’t care.
    If you don’t like the situation you’ve plenty of other options to choose from.
    However from what I can see it’s the usual crowd of moaners who’s complaining about people in the shops and they are loving it.

You’ve no voice on this as you’re only on the rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Care to tell us what options are available to all us? You can rule out on line as it's not available to everybody and many of us haven't a heap of different supermarkets to pick from.

All it takes is a bit of decency and some cop on to enable all of us shop in comfort without stress.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Care to tell us what options are available to all us? You can rule out on line as it's not available to everybody and many of us haven't a heap of different supermarkets to pick from.

All it takes is a bit of decency and some cop on to enable all of us shop in comfort without stress.

You can order online.
    If don't use online services. You can ring SuperValu and Dunnes to do your shopping.
    Both of these offer a value range.
    Ask a friend or family member who doesn't feel as bothered to do your shopping.
    Go at an off peak time.

• Advertisement

You can order online.
    If don't use online services. You can ring SuperValu and Dunnes to do your shopping.
    Go at an off peak time.

Online services and phone ordering should be left for front line workers or the elderly if you’re a decent human being. You’re lucky you’ve moderator protection though at least you’ve calmed down openly laughing at people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Online services and phone ordering should be left for front line workers or the elderly if you’re a decent human being. You’re lucky you’ve moderator protection though at least you’ve calmed down openly laughing at people.

Mod

Don't post in this thread again.

You can order online.
    Go at an off peak time.

Thanks, we're not disabled or vulnerable and have a right to shop for what we need. I'm not asking somebody else to put up with ignorant unreasonable shoppers just so I don't have to. SuperValu are nowhere near me. Dunnes locally don't do shopping over the phone or online. And why do you assume I want or ever buy a value range?

I already go at off peak and still encounter unthinking people who have no regard for social distancing.

We're ordinary people who want to shop with a level of comfort for our safety under the guidelines. Why do you have an issue with that? To be perfectly honest your 'solutions' to people flaunting public health guidelines are to penalise those who are compliant. It's very condescending.

All the Dunnes opening hours are up now.most seem to opening a little later.
    A few placing doing 24 hrs from about the 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

But the adults shopping in family groups also know the situation, and must surely be aware that they're lengthening already long delays for the people behind them in the queue.
    Likewise couples who go into small local shops with big double buggies, blocking narrow aisles and making it impossible for other people to keep their distance. They should surely understand the situation and one of them stay outside with the buggy.

Saying people should accommodate this thoughtless behaviour by taking valuable on line slots, that are needed by elderly people, the vulnerable and people who have to isolate isn't really a fair solution.

But the adults shopping in family groups also know the situation, and must surely be aware that they're lengthening already long delays for the people behind them in the queue.
    Likewise couples who go into small local shops with big double buggies, blocking narrow aisles and making it impossible for other people to keep their distance. They should surely understand the situation and one of them stay outside with the buggy.

Saying people should accommodate this thoughtless behaviour by taking valuable on line slots, that are needed by elderly people, the vulnerable and people who have to isolate isn't really a fair solution.

I know all of this but I’m just talking about the reality of the situation.
    Lots of people don’t care about you or me.
    I made suggestions about how to avoid these situations.
    The only other one I could think of is to contact the supermarkets to get them to be strict on the matter later they were in April or for the government to make it mandatory.

I know all of this but I’m just talking about the reality of the situation.
    Lots of people don’t care about you or me.
    I made suggestions about how to avoid these situations.
    The only other one I could think of is to contact the supermarkets to get them to be strict on the matter later they were in April or for the government to make it mandatory.

Yes I agree that some people need to be pulled up more on their behaviour. A lot of the time it's just lack of thought (and we've probably all been guilty of that) and it is annoying when supermarket managers etc say nothing when someone is letting their kids run riot around the place or when an entire family are taking up 6 places in the queue outside.

Most of these people would probably be apologetic and embarrassed if they were asked to be more careful or considerate. Unfortunately there's always the belligerent and indignant minority who cause the real problems.

Yes I agree that some people need to be pulled up more on their behaviour. A lot of the time it's just lack of thought (and we've probably all been guilty of that) and it is annoying when supermarket managers etc say nothing when someone is letting their kids run riot around the place or when an entire family are taking up 6 places in the queue outside.

Most of these people would probably be apologetic and embarrassed if they were asked to be more careful or considerate. Unfortunately there's always the belligerent and indignant minority who cause the real problems.

People would pull up their kids about poor behavior.
    However this one person family.
    I’ve seen staff in different supermarkets actually say make sure to bring himself/the kids back in shopping again.

People would pull up their kids about poor behavior.
    However this one person family.
    I’ve seen staff in different supermarkets actually say make sure to bring himself/the kids back in shopping again.

Some people don't pull up their kids though. That's the problem.

Some people don't pull up their kids though. That's the problem.

The problem is there is no any necessity in taking children into shops. Inadequate parents who don't care about pandemic and still taking children there do see nothing wrong and of course would not discipline their small superspreaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

“Our 18 M&S stores are open and set up with measures in place to help our customers shop safely. We know that queuing can be a concern, so our new Book & Shop service guarantees a shopping slot at a time that suits and removes the need to queue, should there be one.
    https://www.checkout.ie/technology/ms-rolls-book-shop-service-stores-across-roi-116702

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

The guy delivering bread to Dunnes Stores in the Beacon Centre was not wearing a mask yesterday. Just under his chin.

The store manager should do something about this person, it's not just children.

Another thing I noticed is that they had all the tills open side by side with the staff shouting across to each other. Packing at the back of the tills and you were on top of the person standing beside you behind the other till. They have a row of about 15 tills, they should stagger the open tills.

Also noticed that people are just walking past the hand sanitiser machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Supermarkets seem to have given up on limiting numbers altogether. 3 Supermarkets in Castlebar were packed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

recyclebin wrote: »
    Supermarkets seem to have given up on limiting numbers altogether. 3 Supermarkets in Castlebar were packed this morning.

The reason why they are all packed is because people aren't willing to change habits, why does everyone need to shop on a Saturday morning? My store is open for 18 hours all this week, but there won't be a cricket in there this evening. I'm on nights this week, no one in the store last night from 9 on and we are a very busy branch. But people aren't willing to try coming in off peak, but will complain about the store being too busy, having to queue to enter and a wait at the till..... Simple solution is don't all arrive at the same time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Its begger belief at this stage that some of the checkout girls still arnt wearing masks. Perspex Screens, like face shields, were shown to be more or less useless months ago, yet supermarkets still act like they are sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If supermarkets want people to shop out if normal hours they need to ensure that the goods are on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

If supermarkets want people to shop out if normal hours they need to ensure that the goods are on the shelves.

That's why us staff are working nights....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

seanl77 wrote: »
    The reason why they are all packed is because people aren't willing to change habits, why does everyone need to shop on a Saturday morning? My store is open for 18 hours all this week, but there won't be a cricket in there this evening. I'm on nights this week, no one in the store last night from 9 on and we are a very busy branch. But people aren't willing to try coming in off peak, but will complain about the store being too busy, having to queue to enter and a wait at the till..... Simple solution is don't all arrive at the same time!!!

Same here, we open 7 to midnight, nobody in until around 9am, then after 9pm nobody in again. We were overwhelmed today around 2pm, although we now have someone on the door limiting numbers. Still our store can take 120 people at a time we were told, thats still a lot of people at one time no matter how big the store is.

Tip for anyone shopping in Tesco, 12pm would be a good time to go shopping, most stuff will be packed and fresh, store shouldnt be too mental either, well in my store anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I think this is as close to the right thread as I can find to ask this;

The Buymie App: is it still woefully shíte or have they sorted out their issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Same here, we open 7 to midnight, nobody in until around 9am, then after 9pm nobody in again. We were overwhelmed today around 2pm, although we now have someone on the door limiting numbers. Still our store can take 120 people at a time we were told, thats still a lot of people at one time no matter how big the store is.

Tip for anyone shopping in Tesco, 12pm would be a good time to go shopping, most stuff will be packed and fresh, store shouldnt be too mental either, well in my store anyways!

You mean 12am?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Turn the COVID announcements about being in this together etc off. If someone's being an asshole already, they're not going to just comply because the tannoy told them to. Why retail managers insist on playing this dross at full volume I don't know?

You mean 12am?

Nope pm, in our store we get a rush at 11am till 12pm then it quietens down for the hour then picks back up after 1pm.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Turn the COVID announcements about being in this together etc off. If someone's being an asshole already, they're not going to just comply because the tannoy told them to. Why retail managers insist on playing this dross at full volume I don't know?

Trust me we would love to, however all the music and announcements in our store are all done centrally from Dublin head office and there's nothing we can do, can only change the volume overall which is generally always at minimum

Nope pm, in our store we get a rush at 11am till 12pm then it quietens down for the hour then picks back up after 1pm.

Now you've me confused too. Do you mean 12 Noon or 12 Midnight?
    Noon is more usually am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Now you've me confused too. Do you mean 12 Noon or 12 Midnight?
    Noon is more usually am.

I always referred to noon as 12.OO pm and midnight as 12.00 am.
    Seems Wiki agrees with me."Noon - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noon#:~:text=Noon%20(or%20midday)%20is%2012,a%2024%2Dhour%20clock).

• Advertisement

I always referred to noon as 12.OO pm and midnight as 12.00 am.
    Seems Wiki agrees with me."Noon - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noon#:~:text=Noon%20(or%20midday)%20is%2012,a%2024%2Dhour%20clock).

There's a reason why we use 12 noon or midnight and why the military avoid both in favour of operations at 12:01, 23:59, 00:01 etc.

Doctors differ, as they say.
    Although it is common to see noon expressed as 12:00 p.m., it is actually incorrect.
    Technically, noon is AM. The clock ticks from 12:00 AM Noon to 00:01PM (or 10/1000ths of a second if you prefer) and begins counting toward 12:00 PM Midnight,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm surprised we haven't shut down the frozen aisles of supermarkets in light of claims made by China that cases are being imported on frozen food. Urgent cooperation needed from NI and Iceland on this until we get more information.

There's a reason why we use 12 noon or midnight and why the military avoid both in favour of operations at 12:01, 23:59, 00:01 etc.

Doctors differ, as they say.

I use the 24 hour clock myself normally as I find it far simpler plus a left over from my army days. But I still feel twelve noon is pm or if you want to be exact one second past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fair play to Dunnes in Kilnamanagh today the 23rd . The queue was very long but they had a tent to keep people dry for at least part of the queuing . The elderly were let in at 11 before the long queue of people and they kept numbers down by only allowing a few in at a time .Well organised and well done to them

Somewhat unrelated to Covid, but I was in Dunnes yesterday finishing off the remains of a voucher I got from work ( we don't get an option on its issuer). I genuinely don't understand why people shop there. To my mind it's limited choice for a price in excess of their competition. One product was €2.50 more expensive than Tesco for example.
    Anyway sorry for the off topic post..

• Advertisement

Somewhat unrelated to Covid, but I was in Dunnes yesterday finishing off the remains of a voucher I got from work ( we don't get an option on its issuer). I genuinely don't understand why people shop there. To my mind it's limited choice for a price in excess of their competition. One product was €2.50 more expensive than Tesco for example.

Your post is perfectly on topic.

Dunnes still affordable if you are using vouchers. Before Covid era we (my household) were shopping different things in Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco. But now shopping only in Tesco because of delivery. It does not cover whole spectrum of goods and somewhat more expensive than combined shipping, but i see no other options - no other business was able to adapt to demand in delivery over pandemics time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thats me wrote: »
    Your post is perfectly on topic.

Dunnes still affordable if you are using vouchers. Before Covid era we (my household) were shopping different things in Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco. But now shopping only in Tesco because of delivery. It does not cover whole spectrum of goods and somewhat more expensive than combined shipping, but i see no other options - no other business was able to adapt to demand in delivery over pandemics time.

I shop in Dunnes at the moment because I feel safe there . Its affordable for me so I shop where I am comfortable, A lot of people shop now where they feel safe and comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I shop there because they have everything I need. I don’t have time to go to multiple shops, and shopping with the germans means I would have to shop in two shops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

My local Dunnes seems to have only branded produce, which is very expensive.
    Very poor selection of own brand stuff so shopping there is a non runner.

I do most of the shopping online with Tesco and go to Aldi once every 3 weeks to get what Tesco dont have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I had been going to lidl lately, which has been relatively well run, with the exception of some check out girls not being masked and a few dick nosed customers.

But I recently shopped in aldi and was surprised at how much safer it was.

Traffic light system upon entry. All customers and checkout staff masked. Good distance observed.

I shall be going there in future.

I do find Dunnes more expensive.
    They can have good special offers and if you vouchers you work out fairly well but we wouldn’t mange them every week.

I find all shops a mixed bag for masks, distancing, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

I had been going to lidl lately, which has been relatively well run, with the exception of some check out girls not being masked and a few dick nosed customers.

But I recently shopped in aldi and was surprised at how much safer it was.

Traffic light system upon entry. All customers and checkout staff masked. Good distance observed.

I shall be going there in future.

Interesting, most of the checkout staff in my local Aldi don't wear a mask. I still go in there as you are through the checkout very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would people advise shopping between midnight and 2am or 6am and 8am, can't be arsed standing a Q for an hour during the day just to get in.

Would people advise shopping between midnight and 2am or 6am and 8am, can't be arsed standing a Q for an hour during the day just to get in.

I booked my slot with dunnes online so skipped the q.

The q for the till was another matter entirely.

All tills were open but still each one had about 6 people waiting, which with social distancing means half the aisle is blocked so that's a pain.

Personally I'd rather wait longer outside and have minimal q at the till.

I was there last Thursday at 8 pm and no q anywhere it was so nice (simple things)

Well locally we haven’t being to bad for queues lots of places traffic lights are nearly always set on green.
    Similar to another town I visited.

I think the main reason why people don’t shop is because they’ve being stung by late night/early morning shopping in the past.
    We used always do it and always had to go back on Christmas Eve again because they were out of several fresh stock things. Similar this year. I’ve spoken to people who went late night shopping and they had to go during the day again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement