Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I had been going to lidl lately, which has been relatively well run, with the exception of some check out girls not being masked and a few dick nosed customers.

But I recently shopped in aldi and was surprised at how much safer it was.

Traffic light system upon entry. All customers and checkout staff masked. Good distance observed.

I shall be going there in future.

At my Lidl the checkout staff are always masked and it has a traffic light system but they have stopped supplying hand sanitiser which is very disappointing but I have my own thankfully.
    My Aldi has not been great at all. Have never seen hand sanitiser in there even do they advertised it in store some times but not in store only disinfectant for the trolleys and baskets in store.
    My Tesco is very good they have lots of hand sanitiser, a tent outside for if its wet or cold and a traffic light system too. I was there today and even do the Q was long it moved quickly.
    Really very dissapointed with both my local Alsi and Lidl now do.
    Dunnes are good here too they do everything that required, hand sanitizer, q, traffic system.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Here our Tesco had no hand sanitiser and not managing social distancing at the tills when we last went in - so not going back.
    Lidl had sanitiser but it was a job to find where they had hidden it.
    Dunnes have people wiping down the trollies, hand sanitiser and very well manged queues - so that's where we're going in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu D3 has wipes, sanitiser and spray on entry. Plus sanitisers at back of store. And on exit.
    You can use self scanner which has its own set of wipes at pickup station.

Tesco Metro D3 has a sanitiser station on entry with tissues and sanitiser. Could do with a one way system though.

Both are using an automated green light system for managing entry.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

AMKC wrote: »
    At my Lidl the checkout staff are always masked and it has a traffic light system but they have stopped supplying hand sanitiser which is very disappointing but I have my own thankfully.
    My Aldi has not been great at all. Have never seen hand sanitiser in there even do they advertised it in store some times but not in store only disinfectant for the trolleys and baskets in store.
    My Tesco is very good they have lots of hand sanitiser, a tent outside for if its wet or cold and a traffic light system too. I was there today and even do the Q was long it moved quickly.
    Really very dissapointed with both my local Alsi and Lidl now do.
    Dunnes are good here too they do everything that required, hand sanitizer, q, traffic system.

Must vary a lot then between stores then, I haven't been to dunnes in ages so I cant comment there, but my local tesco is run well - barring the custer**** self service and exit area. There is no distance between each unit and the area is right beside the only exit, which completely bottlenecks even with a few customers, and everybody ends up on top of each other.

Its a pity at this stage we cant get a more uniform approach on these basic covid safety measures. For example, the checkout girls not wearing masks by now is inexcusable.

Btw another improved measure in my local aldi was a loud repeat intercom message reminding people about masks, distance etc. Keeps people on their toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honestly don't get all the hate.... It's Christmas, look after one another, keep back, be patient somewhat and have respect for those around you....
    Lot of stressed people going around and more so then ever before.
    Was at Tesco yesterday very busy after 9pm lots in but everyone keeping space so was very surprised but it takes two to do it.....

Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all and I hope really do hope next Christmas will be the best we will have ever had....

Christmas day and Stephens day should be a shut up shop and everyone should be able to spend time with family and friends.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I shop in Dunnes at the moment because I feel safe there . Its affordable for me so I shop where I am comfortable, A lot of people shop now where they feel safe and comfortable

I generally shop in Dunnes and must say they have been on the ball, from the start in their management of everything that needed to be done to keep customers and staff safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Red Alert wrote: »
    Turn the COVID announcements about being in this together etc off. If someone's being an asshole already, they're not going to just comply because the tannoy told them to. Why retail managers insist on playing this dross at full volume I don't know?

Retail managers don't have a say in playing those announcements it lays completely with head office. Believe me it infuriates staff including managers even more so than customers as we have to listen to it all day whereas you as the customer only have to listen to it for about an hour at the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I generally shop in Dunnes and must say they have been on the ball, from the start in their management of everything that needed to be done to keep customers and staff safe.

That's cause they're fleecing their customers and they want them to return

Anyway, hope retail staff enjoy their 48 hours off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

fair play to dunnes only problem i see is that our government leaves suspect positive cases fly in from london to shop there to spread it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

My local SuperValu has been terrible for adhering to social distancing. They have the traffic light system for a maximum of 75 people in store. This should be far less as the aisles in store are very narrow. It has been chaotic. No social distancing whatsoever, and nobody seems to care either. A very uncomfortable experience. I find shopping difficult in general as it is highly likely I am on the spectrum but now it is impossible. The manager has been attempting to limit customers by observing and allowing customers in and out of the store but has failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

alanzo27 wrote: »
    My local SuperValu has been terrible for adhering to social distancing. They have the traffic light system for a maximum of 75 people in store. This should be far less as the aisles in store are very narrow. It has been chaotic. No social distancing whatsoever, and nobody seems to care either. A very uncomfortable experience. I find shopping difficult in general as it is highly likely I am on the spectrum but now it is impossible. The manager has been attempting to limit customers by observing and allowing customers in and out of the store but has failed.

is it quieter at any time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Btw another improved measure in my local aldi was a loud repeat intercom message reminding people about masks, distance etc. Keeps people on their toes.

However in the Aldi near me as soon as the customer at till had paid the tellers start scanning the next customers items letting them build up as the 1st customer gathers their final belongings. Your stood there listening to Aldi cares social distancing and the assistant looking at you stupid wondering why your not packing your items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just started my new lockdown regime today and I am reducing my supermarket visits to just once a month. Easily done as I'm on my own about 75% of the time. I had already cut down my supermarket purchases some months before the pandemic and now only buy there what I can't get elsewhere - mainly baking products such as flour but little else.

10am on a Sunday morning and virtually had Dunnes to myself - more staff than customers. Local butcher, weekly farmers market, newsagent for milk and job done. A big saving financially and far less stressful. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Jeju wrote: »
    However in the Aldi near me as soon as the customer at till had paid the tellers start scanning the next customers items letting them build up as the 1st customer gathers their final belongings. Your stood there listening to Aldi cares social distancing and the assistant looking at you stupid wondering why your not packing your items

Aldi seem to train their check out staff in this rapid fire approach.

The only way to deal with it is either have one big bag in the trolley or else put your purchases straight into the trolley.

For the record I don't shop in Aldi on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

elperello wrote: »

The only way to deal with it is either have one big bag in the trolley or else put your purchases straight into the trolley.

It's their business model to move people as fast as possible.

However they can't move onto the next person until you pay, so don't pay until your groceries are all off the "smallest little catchment area" ever. Yeah the operator won't be impressed but there will be another customer to irritate them in about 60 seconds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's their business model to move people as fast as possible.

However they can't move onto the next person until you pay, so don't pay until your groceries are all off the "smallest little catchment area" ever. Yeah the operator won't be impressed but there will be another customer to irritate them in about 60 seconds :D
    I used have those trolley bag thingys, so when I was putting my shopping in the trolley I was packing it as I went. One of the operators told me I wasn’t allowed to pack my shopping at the till one day, even though I was literally keeping up to his scanning, item for item

jlm29 wrote: »
    I used have those trolley bag thingys, so when I was putting my shopping in the trolley I was packing it as I went. One of the operators told me I wasn’t allowed to pack my shopping at the till one day, even though I was literally keeping up to his scanning, item for item

Jobsworth :D

I had those bags and the small ones where grand but I found the big ones where way too big (for me anyway).

A normal trolley comes up to my chest so for the bag to clear the trolley, it was a hand over head job and even then not guaranteed clearance.

Plus I found the poles very awkward.

Sigh....who would have thought grocery shopping had soooooo many pitfalls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Jobsworth :D

I had those bags and the small ones where grand but I found the big ones where way too big (for me anyway).

A normal trolley comes up to my chest so for the bag to clear the trolley, it was a hand over head job and even then not guaranteed clearance.

Plus I found the poles very awkward.

Sigh....who would have thought grocery shopping had soooooo many pitfalls :)

I got rid of the bags also because only having 4 annoyed me. And they were so heavy when full. I also stopped shopping in Aldi so I can pack my shopping as slowly as I wish now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Tesco cleared out of milk and nearly cleared out of bread and I overheard one of the staff telling a customer that people had been filling trolleys up with sliced pans. Idiots must be panic buying again just like they did the last time the schools closed. Quite likely the same dumb fcuks who caused Covid to spread over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Tesco cleared out of milk and nearly cleared out of bread and I overheard one of the staff telling a customer that people had been filling trolleys up with sliced pans. Idiots must be panic buying again just like they did the last time the schools closed. Quite likely the same dumb fcuks who caused Covid to spread over the Christmas period.

Well its up to the supermarkets to put limits on certain items.

Its easily sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Milk is due to an issue with packaging coming from the UK, fresh transport is being prioritised before packaging so while we have the milk there's not enough packaging for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just started my new lockdown regime today and I am reducing my supermarket visits to just once a month. Easily done as I'm on my own about 75% of the time. I had already cut down my supermarket purchases some months before the pandemic and now only buy there what I can't get elsewhere - mainly baking products such as flour but little else.

10am on a Sunday morning and virtually had Dunnes to myself - more staff than customers. Local butcher, weekly farmers market, newsagent for milk and job done. A big saving financially and far less stressful. :)

Just trying to understand you reasoning here, because I am almost doing the opposite....

I go to the local supervalu, and local lidl once each per week maximum. (some weeks no need for lidl). I go either very late or very early, and as you said, d there is very few customers in at this time.

This means I go to 2 shops max and 2 shops only per week.

Are you not going to a lot different shops, interacting with more staff each week?

Not saying whick is better as I said jus trying to understand if what I'm doing is low risk?

I'd go along with the idea that one trip to a shop per week is lower risk.

Usually the supermarket has higher ceilings and if you get the timing right can be easier to socially distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was shopping earlier in Aldi and there was definitely a palpable sense of fear in the air, saw everyone in front of me actually use the hand sanitiser whereas people had become lax on it up until now. Place was busier then normal too though we've snow & ice forecast locally so people are likely just stocking up before it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

elperello wrote: »

That's how you are supposed to do it in Aldi and Lidl. You load everything into the trolley again and then head over to the big benches/windowsills opposite the tills to pack your bags.

TheCrank wrote: »
    That's how you are supposed to do it in Aldi and Lidl. You load everything into the trolley again and then head over to the big benches/windowsills opposite the tills to pack your bags.

Thanks, I understand their system and I know how to make it work as I outlined in my post.

The thing is, given the choice I choose not to to partake in the Aldi business model.

I have my own terms and conditions too :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In Aldi and Lidl I see it as a race between me and the checkout operator which suits me fine as I just want to get in and out of supermarkets quickly and not be held up. My pet hate is Supervalue where I always seemed to get stuck behind someone who wants to talk about all the local gossip with the till operator. Thankfully their new self serve checkouts in my local now help me to avoid that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We are limiting our visits to the supermarket to once a month now. As a result our shop is bigger and yes we sometimes purchase two or three of each item.

This will give those people who have a need to shop every other day the freedom to do this without us getting in their way or better still they getting in our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco cleared out of milk and nearly cleared out of bread and I overheard one of the staff telling a customer that people had been filling trolleys up with sliced pans. Idiots must be panic buying again just like they did the last time the schools closed.
    Milk is due to an issue with packaging coming from the UK, fresh transport is being prioritised before packaging so while we have the milk there's not enough packaging for it.
    I thought it was brexit issues or something, I was in 2 nights ago and there were no bell peppers at all. Millions of the cheapest onions, while other onions were all gone. People will usually bulk buy the cheap ones which I saw during the first lock down. Unless they happened to be freshly put out.

But it was in other places too, I got cheap tesco nuggets, pizza & chips which are regularly sold out as they are so cheap. Lots of bread sections were empty, but still lots there, again not your usual hording scenes. In the "chinese supermarket section" loads was gone with dates when it was due back in, like there were delays. I think they get some of those products through non standard supply chains, (I hope they do as they are mostly a bloody rip off compared to regular Asian supermarkets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Snow. Covid. Brexit.

I feel a Corporal Jones moment coming...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

For the immediate future I am going with a small shops only strategy. That means I will do all my shopping in convenience stores, and even then only when there are very few people inside them.

This means more cost and less choice, but it seems safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For the immediate future I am going with a small shops only strategy. That means I will do all my shopping in convenience stores, and even then only when there are very few people inside them.

This means more cost and less choice, but it seems safer.

Ah come off it, if you keep your distance and pick off peak times it's very safe, look after yourself and don't be worrying so much of others.....

Wash the hands, keep up with the wipe down of trolley etc and can't see much of a danger.

Small shops you talk of would be higher risk imo as much smaller isles etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Has the panic buying started yet? Empty shelves but the selfish and greedy have stocked fridges and cupboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

TheCrank wrote: »

That'll increase your time spent in the shop, plus you're stuck in the same spot with other packing beside you. And also not vacating shop asap you're keeping people in the outside queue waiting longer to get in.

Has the panic buying started yet? Empty shelves but the selfish and greedy have stocked fridges and cupboards.

We have all been asked to stay at home. Maybe some people are buying enough food so that they can stay at home.

So, do you buy enough food for 3 days?
    Do you buy enough food for a week?
    Do you buy enough food for two weeks?
    Do we buy enough food for a month?

or

Should we continue to visit the shops every day?
    Should we only visit the supermarket when we need to purchase 10 items?
    Should we purchase some items but not bread and milk, you are allowed to buy these every day and do not form part of the 10 items purchased.

Maybe you could clarify?

We have all been asked to stay at home. Maybe some people are buying enough food so that they can stay at home.

So, do you buy enough food for 3 days?
    Do you buy enough food for a week?
    Do you buy enough food for two weeks?
    Do we buy enough food for a month?

or

Should we continue to visit the shops every day?
    Should we only visit the supermarket when we need to purchase 10 items?
    Should we purchase some items but not bread and milk, you are allowed to buy these every day and do not form part of the 10 items purchased.

Maybe you could clarify?

I’m not a frontline worker but I’m classed as an essential worker. I don’t have the time to stock up like all those that have the privilege of staying at home. So I would hope a situation doesn’t develop where shelves are empty and those especially frontline workers are deprived of food so the stay at home elite are well fed. I hope that offers you some clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

Reads to me more of a case of shoppers getting as much food bought in advance of any panic buying so as to avoid being involved in any situations of panic buying.

I've always had (for over 10 years) at least two weeks worth of food in the house. If there was an unexpected blizzard and I was stuck in my house for a fortnight, I'd be sorted for food for half a month no bother. Loads of tinned goods, dried goods, pasta, rice, etc for when the refrigerated and frozen stuff run out.

I've not been to a shop or supermarket since before Christmas but will soon need to buy some refrigerated goods as I've none left.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheCrank

j@utis wrote: »
    That'll increase your time spent in the shop, plus you're stuck in the same spot with other packing beside you. And also not vacating shop asap you're keeping people in the outside queue waiting longer to get in.

True, it does add some time but I'd argue that it isn't significant because you get through the till stage a lot faster if you are clearing the belt as fast as the staff can scan. Final bag packing at the bench is easier too as you don't have someone firing the stuff at you.

Not being facetious here, but if anybody is truly anxous to get out of the shop quickly it also gives you the option of wheeling the trolley outside and packing the bags at the car. I've seen it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I have for years now kept a decent stock of non-perishables in the house. Plus basics in the freezer.
    Started that Winter (2010?) when we had bad snow. I was at home with 2 small kids and my Husband was abroad. I had booked a Tesco Delivery which they cancelled due to the weather. The subsequent necessary but extremely stressful trip to the shop will never leave my mind !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With non-essential retail closing the supermarkets will become the new entertainment zone for families of 6 gathered around a trolley for an hour.

I’m not a frontline worker but I’m classed as an essential worker. I don’t have the time to stock up like all those that have the privilege of staying at home. So I would hope a situation doesn’t develop where shelves are empty and those especially frontline workers are deprived of food so the stay at home elite are well fed. I hope that offers you some clarity.

I wonder how many people have elevated their position in society to "essential worker".

The rest of us it appears are "privileged" and "elite".

Let us all step back, take a bow, bend the knee and applaud.

I wonder how many people have elevated their position in society to "essential worker".

The rest of us it appears are "privileged" and "elite".

Let us all step back, take a bow, bend the knee and applaud.

Well the government and my employer both agree our industry is essential. We make materials for the medical device industry, one particular product is required in the manufacture of ventilators.
    No need for applause just leave some food on the shelves, we eat too. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I did a food shop yesterday, had to go to dunnes and tesco. But I bought more than usual. I want to avoid a return to the shops. Typically I would do my food shop and then maybe 3/4 days later pop back to top on some bits. This time I tried to buy to avoid that. Bought extra butter/bagels/ more chicken for sandwich fillings to cook. More veg for soups etc. We have a milk man so dont have to worry about that. Dunnes stock was good but tesco was definitely low. But hopefully that will be me done until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭boardz

j@utis wrote: »

The most annoying thing for me in Aldi/Lidl is when there is a queue (no problem with that) but instead of using the time waiting in the queue to get your card or cash ready there is a significant delay as instead people start this process only when all the shopping is scanned and in the trolley.

With non-essential retail closing the supermarkets will become the new entertainment zone for families of 6 gathered around a trolley for an hour.

That was happening from the start of the first lockdown! A lot of people need to seriously think about how they carry on when they are in a supermarket.

• Advertisement

Was in dunnes earlier this morning around 10am. Not many people, no queue, which for that supermarket is a rarity, even no queue at the checkout.

Didn't notice any stock low. There was plenty of bread, milk, pasta fruit and veg.

People were keeping their distance which was nice, didn't see any family shoppers, only noticed two kids for the whole time I was there.

I just did my normal weekly shop , I go through 18 litres of milk a week, so really can't do a fortnight shop as much as I'd like to.

No one was going mental alot of trolleys were only half full.

Was in dunnes earlier this morning around 10am. Not many people, no queue, which for that supermarket is a rarity, even no queue at the checkout.

Didn't notice any stock low. There was plenty of bread, milk, pasta fruit and veg.

People were keeping their distance which was nice, didn't see any family shoppers, only noticed two kids for the whole time I was there.

I just did my normal weekly shop , I go through 18 litres of milk a week, so really can't do a fortnight shop as much as I'd like to.

No one was going mental alot of trolleys were only half full.

There are no shortages, people went crazy for toilet paper last year but there were never any food shortages.

There are no shortages, people went crazy for toilet paper last year but there were never any food shortages.

I had been hearing that Tesco and marks and Spencer had empty shelves (I know they are both uk retailers) , I think there was also a couple of mentions of low stock in this thread.

So I was abit nervous of what to expect today.

I was making the point so if anyone else was abit nervous that there is nothing to worry about , at the moment anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I have found my local tesco to be running low the last while. I think its more to do with their own stock issues than covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tesco has no issue, the majority of their food is locally sourced, apart from many of their own brand ready meals, and pretty much all their trucks coming into the country are getting in fine. Tesco Ireland is basically an Irish retailer.

M&S are in ****e though as pretty much everything they stock is from the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement