Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TheCrank wrote: »
    Not being facetious here, but if anybody is truly anxous to get out of the shop quickly it also gives you the option of wheeling the trolley outside and packing the bags at the car. I've seen it done.
    I do that, and shop & scan in tesco so its quicker too. I an not anxious myself, I just want to clear the area behind the tills ASAP and also get out of the shop ASAP esp. if there is a queue system and a person goes in as soon as I leave.
    boardz wrote: »
    The most annoying thing for me in Aldi/Lidl is when there is a queue (no problem with that) but instead of using the time waiting in the queue to get your card or cash ready there is a significant delay as instead people start this process only when all the shopping is scanned and in the trolley.
    That drive me mad, they should have signs up. You get this stupid look of astonishment when they are asked to pay, and rifling through bags for ages.

In my ideal/dream world they would have a system to recognise fast packers, or fast scanners at self scan systems, and those people would get priority. It could be linked to your clubcard or something (though lidl/aldi have none). You can to scan to even join the queue for the fast queue, if you were slow the last time you get rejected.

I am quite fast at packing in aldi/lidl, I heard the workers are meant to get some sort of bonus if the are fast so I am helping them and also progressing the queue for those behind. It paid off since a lad in my local lidl recongises me and has tipped me off to go to the till number he is about to open as he knows I will be gone in a flash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Things back to normal in Tesco this afternoon, lots of milk and bread. I didn't check the toilet roll aisle.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Things back to normal in Tesco this afternoon, lots of milk and bread. I didn't check the toilet roll aisle.

Feck all fruit and vegetables. Spuds, especially scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

BrianD3 wrote: »

Plenty in dunnes, I had to buy some.....always feel mortified each time I've to buy it these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eggs totally gone in my local Lidl, also burger buns
    I think they are both NI sourced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

All available in Dunnes. The only thing they didn't have this week was Robert Roberts coffee. Shelves well filled with everything else.

What will see on Tuesday 12th January?
    u1bsu95.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why are they letting kids or young teenagers into shops without masks? A whole entire group of them. They surely don't all have exemptions.

The shït we're in and this is allowed to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Why are they letting kids or young teenagers into shops without masks? A whole entire group of them. They surely don't all have exemptions.

which shop

which shop

All of them, from what I can see in my area.

Hardly anyone under the age of 18 wearing a mask. What's particularly stupid is where the whole family decide a trip to the supermarket together is a great idea. So yesterday mammy daddy and 3 sprogs mosying round tesco.

Use your brain and one of you shop while the other minds the rugrats. Not that hard to organise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Where have you seen them? No probs where we live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What are you talking about? All normal supermarkets have Irish potatoes, load of fruit and veg still there.

Sure some shelf can be empty, as on every Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's the same most Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

In fairness the poster wrote it four days ago, but still not a sign of empty shelves anywhere. Sometimes shelves are empty, be it Sunday or an evening time all week.

We need to stop the panic and people reading too much into empty shelf no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

All of them, from what I can see in my area.

Hardly anyone under the age of 18 wearing a mask. What's particularly stupid is where the whole family decide a trip to the supermarket together is a great idea. So yesterday mammy daddy and 3 sprogs mosying round tesco.

Use your brain and one of you shop while the other minds the rugrats. Not that hard to organise

Its a social occasion for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rubadub wrote: »
    I It could be linked to your clubcard or something (though lidl/aldi have none).

Lidl do now. Recently introduced app on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Dunnes had no flour and no rice this morning. Really low on herbs and spices too. Had to go to tesco then, got all I needed but there was definitely visually alot of shelves looking low in stock. I dont usually shop Mondays and maybe this is the norm.

It’s worth noting it usually takes supermarkets and stores a few weeks to recover after busy Xmas period and the one just gone was one of the busiest in years...every January shelves are usually gappy and takes a while for orders and replenishment to normalise...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There is “significant evidence” of coronavirus transmission in supermarkets, Wales' first minister has said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-55673006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    There is “significant evidence” of coronavirus transmission in supermarkets, Wales' first minister has said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-55673006

More on this here: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-55667624

From that article:

"Speaking at the Welsh Government's Covid briefing on Friday, Mr Drakeford said the Test, Trace, Protect scheme had shown there was "no doubt at all" transmission was taking place in supermarkets."

And:

"Under the laws, set to come into force early next week, all retailers will need to have:

- signs visible to help people keep their distance and make their way around the store
    - sanitiser available for hands and trolleys
    - systems in place to limit the number of people who can be in store at any one time

These measures were already guidance, but will now be law, and supermarket owners and managers will be responsible for ensuring the new rules are followed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tesco seemed to have a lot more slots free today . Yesterday I couldn’t get one until 26th . Today i got one for Tuesday 19th
    They must have more pickers now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I tried out Supervalu click and collect service this evening. Drove to supermarket underground carkpark, called the store and they were out with my order within a few minutes.
    Dropped crates at my car boot, left and i packed the stuff away.

Granted, its that bit more expensive than usual aldi and lidl shop, but for the next few weeks its something we are going to use until things start to improve (hopefully)

Lidl sold out of bleach today for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Tommy Bowe and Karen Koster on TV3 this morning having a good laugh about how going to the supermarket with the kids has become a regular family outing for them.

No dried pulses at all in Tesco (Paul Street, Cork).

Brexit related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Tommy Bowe and Karen Koster on TV3 this morning having a good laugh about how going to the supermarket with the kids has become a regular family outing for them.

They'll be on Network 2 next!!!

The supermarkets are getting very stingy with the hand sanitiser. The barest droplet from the Dunnes one!

Holland and Barrett had a nice fine spray one though. Very nice.

Lidl is still plentiful but horrible and slimy, like cold cum (sorry, but it is!).

Plenty of empty shelves in Lidl this morning. Mostly fresh food like cold cuts, yoghurt. Other stuff some soups, biscuits, mouthwash, juices.
    Maybe it's the weekend shopping before shelves are restocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Have Aldi stopped selling the Dolce Gusto compatible pods,none in store for 2 weeks now.

Lidl running short of stuff again
    Shelves being padded out a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What stuff were they missing?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What stuff were they missing?
    Some biscuits, cheese, some chicken, some meatballs, pancakes, bleach (again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think the supermarkets were really busy over the weekend.

I was driving past my one so decided to pop in and do a top up shop of milk and bread etc due to the predicted weather warnings.

The q was out the door, so probably an hour wait....I turned back out....if it was my usual weekly shop that's due tomorrow I would have stayed.

My friend also said her aldi was bedlam.

So I think people may have stocked up for the weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

supermarkets are the new outings for people as everything else is closed -they are cleaning up with people buying stuff they dont need

BBC - The grocery landscape worldwide is changing "for good", after a year in which the global pandemic forced many people to buy online for the first time.
    Ocado said many customers were saying they were unlikely to revert to pre-crisis shopping habits.
    "The pandemic has accelerated the rate of channel shift to online. Online grocery market share in the UK has nearly doubled over the last year to 14%, according to Kantar. Similar trends are observable in the US as well as many other countries around the world."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Aldi trialling a preorder click collect service in Sallynoggin. 5e fee

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

odyssey06 wrote: »

Tesco is free, Supervalu charge €3, good luck charging 5 for the supposed budget option!

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Aldi says 15 of its stores across Ireland for the next month.
    Customers will be able to choose from a full range of grocery items online, then drive to their local store, where they can have their shopping brought to their cars by store colleagues, contact-free

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/Grocery-Click-and-Collect
    The majority of our grocery range is available for our customers to purchase via Click & Collect.
    The prices online are the same as the in-store prices.
    We use fully home-compostable bags for Click & Collect orders. There is currently no additional charge
    All slots are €4.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

Went to local Dunnes as normal today in shopping centre as I do every week and was taken aback by how busy it was!!!

Queues outside Boots, Easons and the most shocking thing was I was one of few people shopping on my own.

Families of 4 or 5 were the norm. I've never seen the likes of it since before lockdown. I lost count of amount of kids I heard crying or saw taking tantrums.

I know its Valentines tomorrow but why are whole families going shopping? Is it a sign that people can't cope with lockdown anymore with no end to them in sight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

appledrop wrote: »
    Went to local Dunnes as normal today in shopping centre as I do every week and was taken aback by how busy it was!!!

Queues outside Boots, Easons and the most shocking thing was I was one of few people shopping on my own.

Families of 4 or 5 were the norm. I've never seen the likes of it since before lockdown. I lost count of amount of kids I heard crying or saw taking tantrums.

I know its Valentines tomorrow but why are whole families going shopping? Is it a sign that people can't cope with lockdown anymore with no end to them in sight?

Definitely people are weary now . So many people were so upset to hear it could last till May . The weather is brutal and kids really need some outlet .
    Lots of people saying they are finding it harder and harder to cope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I had to go to tesco this afternoon, It was absolutely rammed, car park was packed, slow moving cars just getting in. Noticed same as above, line to get into Boots, line into tesco, line at the butcher, the wine shop and I was one of the few on my own. Lots of families. Tesco have also removed some of the barriers they had blocking clothes and people were browsing and adding to their baskets. Lots of valentines shoppers too. The crowds around the cards and flowers. Made a mental note not to go again on a Saturday. It was like Christmas.

More than 35 Covid-19 outbreaks have been linked to supermarkets in recent weeks as consumers become complacent, health experts have warned.
    19 were recorded in the last month, with 3 in the last week.

Dr Angela Parvu, based in Coolock, said more than 50% of patients informed her they had visited only the supermarket before becoming ill. Up to 30% were actually diagnosed as Covid positive, she said.

“I appeal to the big chains to enforce safety properly and for everyone to choose where you shop based on how good the safety is.”
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/doctors-blame-virus-outbreaks-on-shoppers-complacency-40086220.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

jrosen wrote: »
    I had to go to tesco this afternoon, It was absolutely rammed, car park was packed, slow moving cars just getting in. Noticed same as above, line to get into Boots, line into tesco, line at the butcher, the wine shop and I was one of the few on my own. Lots of families. Tesco have also removed some of the barriers they had blocking clothes and people were browsing and adding to their baskets. Lots of valentines shoppers too. The crowds around the cards and flowers. Made a mental note not to go again on a Saturday. It was like Christmas.

There is literally nowhere else for people to go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The family going shopping is really pissing me off lately. If a group of 4 go in, it leaves 3 individual shoppers standing outside. I seen a group of 4 last week. 2 older women and girls who would have been about 16 and 18, all huddled around 1 trolley. All obese too. Not that it makes any difference but it added extra annoyance :pac:

It's absolute nonsense carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

My 9 year old daughter pleaded with me to bring her to the supermarket today. She was desperate to do something. I didn't go in the end however I do think this level 5 will become unsustainable as time goes on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think youve hit the nail on the head there, people are just weary at this stage and would do anything to get out of the house. The 5km restriction also means options like going to the beach or a forest for a walk are no longer available to some people. So supermarkets and drive thrus are literally the only things to do.

Was in my local Aldi on Friday about 5pm and it seems the traffic light system they have is either not working or had been removed as I didnt see any green/red light upon entry. Id say there was maybe 50 or 60 inside the store which is a lot in a small supermarket like Aldi. I didnt leave but it was annoying trying to get past groups of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

The family going shopping is really pissing me off lately. If a group of 4 go in, it leaves 3 individual shoppers standing outside. I seen a group of 4 last week. 2 older women and girls who would have been about 16 and 18, all huddled around 1 trolley. All obese too. Not that it makes any difference but it added extra annoyance :pac:

It's absolute nonsense carry on

Well you would have had a heartattack today. There was me + one other person on our own in queue then about 20 different family groups/ couples, I'm not joking.

Like before you'd see odd family or couple but I was odd one out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ruggabugga101

Some people certainly seem to be becoming complacent.

Try and go food shopping early morning on the weekend or in the evening - when shops are quieter. Mornings are best as by the evening some shelves are empty.

Advertisement