Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Just back from an Aldi shop. Can sanitize inside the door after you have brought the trolley in. What’s the point? There was marking on floor alright. Was less than two feet from shop assistant at counter. She didn’t have gloves? Really not impressed with them. Ran across road to SuperValu for few items I couldn’t get in Aldi. Really positive, assistant behind plastic barrier, she wiped down card machine gave me some sanitizer for my hands.
    Only negative about SuperValu is the huge amount of older people chatting in the isles and purchasing only one or two items. Shop assistant said that some come in everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah, my Aldi has been a bit lacking. They didnt do anything at all until about 5 or 6 days after other supermarkets and then when they did all it was was a few stickers marking out 2 metre spaces at the tills. Supervalue a lot better with gloves and hand sanitiser at the entrance and floor markings across much of the store. Must say Im a bit surprised by Aldi, their response hasnt been great imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can you shop on line for Dunnes Stores using save coupons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can you shop on line for Dunnes Stores using save coupons?

Dunnes dont have an online grocery offering... only sales from their household and clothing section.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

For click and collect I have seen special huts in Tesco car park.

For Supervalu do you have to go into the shop? I havent seem any special area for my local store in D3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Will the likes of Dunnes and Tesco Extra be at a competitive advantage selling stuff other than food, for example clothes. All their competitors will have shut up shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The reducing working hours thing has indeed hit hard and fast. Except I don't understand how this is supposed to work for those of us working from home in full time schedules? We can't just pop out whenever we want to to buy groceries, we still have to stay and do work for our working hours. But when they are over, shops, pharmacies, everything is just about closed. How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The_Brood wrote: »
    The reducing working hours thing has indeed hit hard and fast. Except I don't understand how this is supposed to work for those of us working from home in full time schedules? We can't just pop out whenever we want to to buy groceries, we still have to stay and do work for our working hours. But when they are over, shops, pharmacies, everything is just about closed. How does that work?

Go on your lunch break or tea break or toilet break? Any trip to the shops should be as quick and efficient as possible to minimise risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,653 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

recyclebin wrote: »
    Will the likes of Dunnes and Tesco Extra be at a competitive advantage selling stuff other than food, for example clothes. All their competitors will have shut up shop.

I haven't heard much news today, but I thought I heard that shops should shut their non-food departments, keeping only grocery sections open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

recyclebin wrote: »

They are all at an advantage selling booze. Seeing as all pubs are shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The_Brood wrote: »

Do a weekly or bi weekly shop. The less you are in the shops the less risk to you and your family.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

krissovo wrote: »
    Trust me plenty have here as well. You cannot buy a chest freezer in the country apparently.

A much better option for us rural folk is a couple of sheep, they can keep the lawn trimmed and fatten up if we need them.

You will have to eat the sheep fairly lively, if you don't get the freezer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I was in my local Lidl (Enniscorthy) today and was horrified to see that the young checkout assistant on my till had neither face mask or protective gloves. I wasn't particularly worried on my account but felt that she was exposing herself to danger.

When I got home I rang the Lidl Customer Service 1800 number and spoke to somebody who informed me that it was up to the individual member of staff whether or not they wore mask and gloves! However, he did say that they will be installing perspex screens at the tills at some stage - horse and stable door comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Masks are no addition. The customer operator should have had gloves and you should have said it there and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I was in my local Lidl (Enniscorthy) today and was horrified to see that the young checkout assistant on my till had neither face mask or protective gloves. I wasn't particularly worried on my account but felt that she was exposing herself to danger.

When I got home I rang the Lidl Customer Service 1800 number and spoke to somebody who informed me that it was up to the individual member of staff whether or not they wore mask and gloves! However, he did say that they will be installing perspex screens at the tills at some stage - horse and stable door comes to mind.

Gloves will spread bacteria just like your hands will. Better off no gloves and use hand sanitise after each transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yes gloves in a non medical setting are pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Only 1 can shop in Supervalu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah, my Aldi has been a bit lacking. They didnt do anything at all until about 5 or 6 days after other supermarkets and then when they did all it was was a few stickers marking out 2 metre spaces at the tills. Supervalue a lot better with gloves and hand sanitiser at the entrance and floor markings across much of the store. Must say Im a bit surprised by Aldi, their response hasnt been great imo.
    Mine neither, and they are my first choice supermarket.

No attempt to control numbers. No markings. The numbers are the big issue for me, we went at what we thought was a quiet time but it very quickly began to fill up. Saw a few people with masks look a bit panicked - we can all get hit with this, but I'd hate to have a serious condition.

• Advertisement

Gloves will spread bacteria just like your hands will. Better off no gloves and use hand sanitise after each transaction.

Yes, but gloves would protect the staff member which is the point that I was making. The mask might protect the customer to a degree if the checkout operator suddenly sneezed while one is at the till. Anyway, it's the haphazard approach that annoys me as just a mile down the road at Eurogiant the only thing missing are Hazmat suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

easypazz wrote: »
    Would you ever cop on. Its the panic buyers that are screwing everything up. If they hire drivers have they trucks for them to drive?

Then let them buy trucks and make millions more in revenue!

Have you seen their share price on the stock exchange lately? They’re one of a very few to constantly go up in value when almost all others are falling off a cliff

They have;

- the stock
    - the supply chain
    - the demand
    - the website and ecommerce already in place

So just hire more drivers, buy more trucks and offer 24 hour delivery in Ireland and the UK

Again, their defenders on here are mind boggling. Tescos have fùcked this up badly

Any Dublin butchers delivering?

Thanks

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Any Dublin butchers delivering?
    Thanks

I haven't used the delivery service, just shopped in-store a few times:

They deliver limited set of pre-packed meats.
    https://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

hmmm wrote: »
    Mine neither, and they are my first choice supermarket.

No attempt to control numbers. No markings. The numbers are the big issue for me, we went at what we thought was a quiet time but it very quickly began to fill up. Saw a few people with masks look a bit panicked - we can all get hit with this, but I'd hate to have a serious condition.

Our local Aldi has markings on the floor, signs everywhere, spray and paper towels inside the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Our local Aldi has markings on the floor, signs everywhere, spray and paper towels inside the door

Thats strange as all my local Aldi had yesterday around 6pm was three stickers on the floor in the till area. That was it nothing else. Whereas Supervalue have had perspex screens up for a week now and sanitiser/gloves available at the front door for almost as long.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I haven't used the delivery service, just shopped in-store a few times:

They deliver limited set of pre-packed meats.
    https://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yes, but gloves would protect the staff member which is the point that I was making. The mask might protect the customer to a degree if the checkout operator suddenly sneezed while one is at the till. Anyway, it's the haphazard approach that annoys me as just a mile down the road at Eurogiant the only thing missing are Hazmat suits.

Again nonsense - gloves in a non medical setting are useless.

If a till operator or anyone is wearing gloves the virus can still transmits through contact - and wearing gloves or not makes no difference to that.

McCrack wrote: »
    Again nonsense - gloves in a non medical setting are useless.

If a till operator or anyone is wearing gloves the virus can still transmits through contact - and wearing gloves or not makes no difference to that.

From the HSE website: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html

Disposable gloves

Do not wear disposable gloves instead of washing your hands. The virus gets on them in the same way it gets on your hands. Also, your hands can get contaminated when you take them off.

Disposable gloves are worn in medical settings. They are not as effective in daily life.

Wearing disposable gloves can give you a false sense of security.

You might:

sneeze or cough into the gloves - this creates a new surface for the virus to live on
    contaminate yourself when taking off the gloves or touching surfaces
    not wash your hands as often as you need to and touch your face with contaminated gloves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

I'm noticing a lot of issues with these screens that have shot up everywhere

Openings way too big on the first 2 i saw at smaller shops.
    In SuperValu the screen is only covering the side and not the bagging area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Are people still having trouble getting hand wash? None in my local supermarkets when I went :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Are people still having trouble getting hand wash? None in my local supermarkets when I went :(

I've nearly always being able to get it in the past few weeks.
    No hand gel tough!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Have supermarkets curtailed their hours?

Can't see on websites and not sure I trust Google as it may just be quoting their normal hours. Thought I heard they were not staying open as late at night?

Local shop has cut their hours a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Anyone know where to get hand wash liquid (in store or online)? We're about to run out of the stuff so went round a few nearby shops today and couldn't find a single bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,669 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Loads of handwash around

If you mean hand sanitiser, then that's very scarce

Have supermarkets curtailed their hours?

Can't see on websites and not sure I trust Google as it may just be quoting their normal hours. Thought I heard they were not staying open as late at night?

Local shop has cut their hours a bit.

Aldi is now 8pm.
    Lidl is now 9pm.
    M&S is 6pm (I think).
    Some Tesco's have cut down on there hours also.

zell12 wrote: »
    Loads of handwash around

Where? I'm looking for the anti bacterial stuff. Went to the local Tesco, Supervalu, Lidl, Spar and even the petrol station. No sign of the stuff.

There were bottles of the moisturising/skin care hand wash, etc.. But none of the anti bacterial ones i.e. Carex.

Aldi is now 8pm.
    Lidl is now 9pm.
    M&S is 6pm (I think).
    Some Tesco's have cut down on there hours also.

What's the reasoning

Jayzee. wrote: »
    What's the reasoning

Staff need to stock the shelves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

jamescd wrote: »
    Where? I'm looking for the anti bacterial stuff. Went to the local Tesco, Supervalu, Lidl, Spar and even the petrol station. No sign of the stuff.

There were bottles of the moisturising/skin care hand wash, etc.. But none of the anti bacterial ones i.e. Carex.

Actually you dont need antibacterial hand wash. Normal soap hand washwill do the job. It breaks down virus so cant remain on your hands.

If you really want antibacterial there was plenty in our local Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

From what I can see, it doesn't make any difference whether you use the anti-bacterial handwash or the regular one. The most important thing is the hand washing mechanism and that you're using soap. Its a virus you're trying to kill here, not a bacteria. There's a difference between the two.

• Advertisement

I've nearly always being able to get it in the past few weeks.
    No hand gel tough!
    Loads of handwash around

I cant get my hands on it.

Antibacterial soap makes non difference for covid. Its a virus not a bacteria. Non antibacterial soap is able to dissolve the protective coating/lipid layer around the virus just like anti bacterial soap is.

appledrop wrote: »
    Actually you dont need antibacterial hand wash. Normal soap hand washwill do the job. It breaks down virus so cant remain on your hands.

What time were you in Dunnes? Maybe im not in early enough

Staff need to stock the shelves!

Ya call me suspicious ,I always assume the bottom line is greed with business

You could argue they could let stock run low rather than herding customers into shorter hours and restocking shelves

They would sell less but it would illuminate panic buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,669 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

What time were you in Dunnes? Maybe im not in early enough

There 2 days ago at lunchtime but heaps of Carex + some other own brand antibacterial one.

As I said though + others normal soap will work perfect for this virus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jayzee. wrote: »
    They would sell less but it would illuminate panic buying

Not really a long term strategy.

Would say shortened hours is to protect staff by not having to be exposed for so long and to restock.

Tork wrote: »
    From what I can see, it doesn't make any difference whether you use the anti-bacterial handwash or the regular one. The most important thing is the hand washing mechanism and that you're using soap. Its a virus you're trying to kill here, not a bacteria. There's a difference between the two.
    Antibacterial soap makes non difference for covid. Its a virus not a bacteria. Non antibacterial soap is able to dissolve the protective coating/lipid layer around the virus just like anti bacterial soap is.

Yeah but I prefer the anti bacterial stuff. I've been using them since forever.

Thanks. I'll try the nearest Dunnes and Dealz tomorrow.

Not really a long term strategy.

Would say shortened hours is to protect staff by not having to be exposed for so long and to restock.

Ok but it's not like Chernobyl

Its people they're exposed to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

On the hand sanitiser, take a look at the Facebook pages of any small distilleries (gin, whiskey, even cider producers) that are local to you. Some of them have switched over to making hand sanitiser and are selling it to the public.

• Advertisement

There 2 days ago at lunchtime but heaps of Carex + some other own brand antibacterial one.

As I said though + others normal soap will work perfect for this virus.

Thanks. Im not the antibacterial guy, just a guy looking for soap :D:p

Advertisement