Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks. Im not the antibacterial guy, just a guy looking for soap :D:p

Ah well then definitely head to Dunnes. They have shelves full of normal soap aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Is the pile of shíte that is the Tescos delivery structure sorted yet or is there still a 2 week wait ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Is the pile of shíte that is the Tescos delivery structure sorted yet or is there still a 2 week wait ?

They're prob mothballing delivery service

Although they won't say that publicly

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

Jayzee. wrote: »
    They're prob mothballing delivery service

Although they won't say that publicly

Its a 3 week wait in my area. But if people just plan accordingly then it is still a worthwhile service. You can always edit your orders closer to the delivery date once you have a slot booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Advice sent to local retailers in UK below,
    Has any such advice been given to shops here, maybe forward this to your local independent store.
    …....…..............................
    Local shops while essential, have to realise that they are a huge vector for cases in their areas, while some of this is unavoidable some extra measures should be taken during the timeline of this pandemic to protect staff and customers.

- Staff should be trained and ensure that a minimum of 2 meters is kept between them and customers at all times, screens at tills can be used if this distance can't be maintained.
    - A clean hands station should be at all entries and has to be strictly adhered to.
    - Staff managing queues or doors should kept well back from customers at all times. They should never approach or touch customers.
    - Any non automatic doors should be left permanently open to prevent touching of handles.
    - Staff with any symptoms at all should be sent home. And encouraged to come forward if they feel anyway unwell.
    - Staff must wash hands regularly, every 15-30 mins ( preferably with soap and water rather than hand sanitiser)
    - Staff numbers on floor should be reduced to an absolute minimum while the shop is occupied,
    - Staff stocking shelves (while shop is open) should have that aisle cordoned off either 2 metres each side or whole isle cordoned off,
    - Consider closing regularly during day to clean all touch surfaces and to restock shelves safely,
    - Queues at tills should be kept to a minimum, but any customers queueing should be kept at 2m apart.
    - Consider a one way system in store to prevent customers coming down aisles in both directions.
    - Consider limiting numbers entering the store, so that social distancing measures can be maintained.
    - Touch surfaces should be cleaned regularly, ( ensuring that any cleaning product doesn't drip and create slip hazard)
    - No children (under 12s) should be in store at any time, no exceptions.
    - All trollies and baskets should be cleaned after each use. Remembering that soap and water is very effective against this virus
    - Customers should be encouraged to use contactless payments, (although this cannot be enforced)
    - Customers should be encouraged to limit their time in store, lengthy conversations should be discouraged especially at busy areas like doorways, entry areas.
    - Consider having separate entry and exit points to keeps customer interaction at a minimum.
    - Premises with Fuel pumps, should have either gloves or hand sanitiser available, if not handles should be cleaned after use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

RiseAbove4 wrote: »

No delivery slots available for me from Tesco up to 15th April (as far as they allow you book ahead) or SuperValu up to 30th April (as far ahead as they allow). We are all high risk in this house and have no car either. It's difficult to plan for staying in when you have to keep going back and forth to get stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tesco just wouldnt have enough vans to service the huge surge in demand for home deliveries. They have to have refrigerated sections too so its not like they can get more on the road overnight, its going to take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Tesco just wouldnt have enough vans to service the huge surge in demand for home deliveries. They have to have refrigerated sections too so its not like they can get more on the road overnight, its going to take time.

Hmm I wonder could they convoy... send out two vans per delivery run.
    Put the perishables into the Tesco van and use a basic van for the ambient stuff.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Jayzee. wrote: »
    Ok but it's not like Chernobyl

Its people they're exposed to

Usually shops have staff circulating through the shop during the day restocking as necessary. I believe they aren't doing this at the moment but stocking shelves at night instead. They are closing early to make time for staff to do this.

Well I just collected from SuperValu Click and Collect which I had to wait 8 days for a slot. 52 items were ordered. 36 were not available including 20 items which were not substituted. I am incredibly disappointed with this. We won't starve of course, but things are obviously in a pretty bad state which is concerning.

Some of the items they claim they couldn't substitute are strange, as in it's hard to believe, and a bit worrying, if no substitute was available. For example, salt, mince beef, potatoes, peas, tomatoes, all soap and cleaning products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

No delivery slots available for me from Tesco up to 15th April (as far as they allow you book ahead) or SuperValu up to 30th April (as far ahead as they allow). We are all high risk in this house and have no car either. It's difficult to plan for staying in when you have to keep going back and forth to get stuff.

I just had my supervalu delivery due in tomorrow ( made 13 days ago) cancelled, leaving me in a right fix, have literally used up everything, this order was supposed to last us the next 2 weeks. we are high risk and have managed not to leave the house for 2 weeks, really upset about this...

zinfandel wrote: »
    I just had my supervalu delivery due in tomorrow ( made 13 days ago) cancelled, leaving me in a right fix, have literally used up everything, this order was supposed to last us the next 2 weeks. we are high risk and have managed not to leave the house for 2 weeks, really upset about this...

I'm the same. We are high risk. I can't get a delivery slot. We don't have a car, but had managed to arrange a lift to collect an order to last us 2 weeks, but there's no way this will. And I find it very difficult to believe that they couldn't substitute some of those items. I mean mince beef??? They've a full butchers, I'm sure they have some beef they can mince!!

I'm the same. We are high risk. I can't get a delivery slot. We don't have a car, but had managed to arrange a lift to collect an order to last us 2 weeks, but there's no way this will. And I find it very difficult to believe that they couldn't substitute some of those items. I mean mince beef??? They've a full butchers, I'm sure they have some beef they can mince!!

Where are you located? Would you not consider "delivery-pooling" with someone in your area who is also looking for deliveries? I am in a similar situation hence rely on deliveries all the time. Not at all inclined to go to the shops.

Where are you located? Would you not consider "delivery-pooling" with someone in your area who is also looking for deliveries? I am in a similar situation hence rely on deliveries all the time. Not at all inclined to go to the shops.

I'm in Lucan. This was an order for 2 households if that's what you mean? I'm just going to have to do several small shops because ordering just hasn't worked, even when I did manage to get a lift. 20 items including many basics not available. Yet I'm hearing they are actually available in the shop.

I'm in Lucan. This was an order for 2 households if that's what you mean? I'm just going to have to do several small shops because ordering just hasn't worked, even when I did manage to get a lift. 20 items including many basics not available. Yet I'm hearing they are actually available in the shop.

That's really unfortunate. I got my order today. Every single item on the list was delivered.There was a company, I saw ad on facebook, who took orders from people and were doing the shopping in Lidl. (this was before the current mess) Have you checked them out if they are still taking order from people. I will see if i can find the name. They were primarily in Dublin area so that could suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

I just found something which could help a few people, I found it on the lidl news section it is an app were you can shop from lidl or tesco and a personal shopper will do the shop for you, also first delivery is free but still like 9 euro in fees so not technically free https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.buymie.customer, I gave it look over there and it would only allow me choose 31st for delivery but still alot sooner then tesco or super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

City center. Absolute farce after the government's new measures forcing you to que 30-40 mins outside before being allowed in the shopping stores.

It goes completely against the medical advice to not stay 10-15 mins around people. Now you are forced to stay in place 30-40 mins around people who may or may not be sick. And good luck telling the grey tracksuits they have to keep their distance - they don't and they don't care.

Yes there are fewer people in the stores when you do get in. But guess what? The aisles are narrow and people still aren't two meters away from you. So for the bonus of having a few fewer people in the stores, you have to wait 30-40 mins and be forced to break medical advice against staying too long near people.

Absolute idiocy that is going to raise infection rates and raise social tension. How did anyone think this was a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

The_Brood wrote: »
    City center. Absolute farce after the government's new measures forcing you to que 30-40 mins outside before being allowed in the shopping stores.

It goes completely against the medical advice to not stay 10-15 mins around people. Now you are forced to stay in place 30-40 mins around people who may or may not be sick. And good luck telling the grey tracksuits they have to keep their distance - they don't and they don't care.

Yes there are fewer people in the stores when you do get in. But guess what? The aisles are narrow and people still aren't two meters away from you. So for the bonus of having a few fewer people in the stores, you have to wait 30-40 mins and be forced to break medical advice against staying too long near people.

Absolute idiocy that is going to raise infection rates and raise social tension. How did anyone think this was a good idea?

What do you want us to do? It's for staff safety, we need less people in the shop to adhere to social distancing the best we can.

The people in the queues should be 2m apart outside, if not then there's not much the supermarkets can do. These are grown adults at the end of the day.
    Hopefully the Gardai will do regular patrols and make sure people are adhering to it.

All other countries are doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dealz :D:D
    EUB9bY_XsAIdRY6?format=jpg&name=medium

Well I just collected from SuperValu Click and Collect which I had to wait 8 days for a slot. 52 items were ordered. 36 were not available including 20 items which were not substituted. I am incredibly disappointed with this. We won't starve of course, but things are obviously in a pretty bad state which is concerning.

Some of the items they claim they couldn't substitute are strange, as in it's hard to believe, and a bit worrying, if no substitute was available. For example, salt, mince beef, potatoes, peas, tomatoes, all soap and cleaning products.

:eek: sounds more like they are just too busy putting orders together that they havent time to be substituting maybe?

If you're stuck and dont want to leave the house try https://localsupport.ie/ there is a map there with thousands of volunteers throughout the country, theres bound to be some in your area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

If people stopped being selfish bastards and actually just did their regular weekly shop we wouldnt be having this issue.

Just shop as usual

Muahahaha wrote: »
    :eek: sounds more like they are just too busy putting orders together that they havent time to be substituting maybe?

Well they substituted 16 items. I mean how hard would it be to pick up a different pack of mince to the particular one ordered?

Anyway I walked over myself and struggled to carry the stuff back. They had 16 out of 20 items left out of the order. I was told the person who did the shop probably just didn't know where the stuff was! I'm so disappointed with them.

jrosen wrote: »
    If people stopped being selfish bastards and actually just did their regular weekly shop we wouldnt be having this issue.
    Just shop as usual

There's more going on than that though, my regular weekly shop would no longer be enough.

You can't shop as usual.
    Take someone who worked 5 days a week in an office, grabbed a sandwich out for lunch each day or used staff canteen, ate out couple of times a week.

All those products they now need at home. Supermarkets are having to pick up all the slack with their supply chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There's more going on than that though, my regular weekly shop would no longer be enough.

You can't shop as usual.
    Take someone who worked 5 days a week in an office, grabbed a sandwich out for lunch each day or used staff canteen, ate out couple of times a week.

All those products they now need at home. Supermarkets are having to pick up all the slack with their supply chain.

As a family we are shopping as usual. I make my lunch to take to work, as does my husband and the kids take a packed lunch to school. We are eating no more now than we did 3 weeks ago. The wine intake in up I will admit.

I will accept people who buy lunch are now eating at home but that doesnt account for the lack of veg, cereal, flour, sugar, pasta, kitchen towel, biscuits and rice cakes, eggs. All of these shelves have been raided.
    Did people also not wash themselves before? Or wash their clothes? I couldnt even get zip lock bags or dog treats? I think its evident people are bulk shopping and its selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

The quantity that I am buying has not changed, but the habits have. I do one big shop weekly now, buying for myself + 2 other families that are not going out due to being in high risk categories.

This means I probably take more products off the shelves in one go than normal. In the good ole days, I would probably pop to the supermarket 2-3 times per week for smaller bits, and I wasn't buying for anyone else.

jrosen wrote: »
    As a family we are shopping as usual. I make my lunch to take to work, as does my husband and the kids take a packed lunch to school. We are eating no more now than we did 3 weeks ago. The wine intake in up I will admit.

I will accept people who buy lunch are now eating at home but that doesnt account for the lack of veg, cereal, flour, sugar, pasta, kitchen towel, biscuits and rice cakes, eggs. All of these shelves have been raided.
    Did people also not wash themselves before? Or wash their clothes? I couldnt even get zip lock bags or dog treats? I think its evident people are bulk shopping and its selfish.

I didn't say there wasn't bulk buying, but given the possibility of having to self-isolate for 14 days that was only to be expected.
    For anyone in a vulnerable group - which is a very large number of people - you really should have minimum 14 days worth of supplies in.
    You're not going to be able to get fresh bread, fruit so your stockpile is going to be of non-perishables pasta, sauces, soups, biscuits, rich cakes.

But even without the bulk buying, the supermarkets are going to be under huge strain.
    People at home 7 days a week are gonna use a lot more cleaning products, soap, toilet roll, kitchen towel, milk, eggs, coffee, tea, sugar.
    I don't think people are stockpiling veg or eggs for example.
    Egg supplies here were disrupted with bird flu outbreak.

There's disruptions to the supply chains from Europe, countries under lockdown, output is down - major suppliers of some of the products above such as pasta, fruit and veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

This is disgraceful. My local super valu has everything in stock if you go in store. They should be well able to substitute things.

Well they substituted 16 items. I mean how hard would it be to pick up a different pack of mince to the particular one ordered?

Anyway I walked over myself and struggled to carry the stuff back. They had 16 out of 20 items left out of the order. I was told the person who did the shop probably just didn't know where the stuff was! I'm so disappointed with them.

yeah I think Supervalue have taken on a lot of new staff so maybe their training wasnt great and things are getting sloppy. Its no excuse I know but this is what happens when people are running around like headless chickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Now that it’s seems to have registered with everyone that there is no shortage of supplies in the supermarkets, will any boardsies be honest enough to admit that they queued for hours outside Aldi? Piled their trolley with pasta? Bought 100 toilet rolls? Fought an old woman over a bag of frozen chips? If so, did you end up dumping stuff or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

We've all reverted to panic browsing instead. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Life's too short for that, we ve moved on from the past, and have created robust supply chains, well for the moment anyway, but it is somewhat understandable why people did, it is the first time we ve experienced a pandemic afterall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The panic buying was exactly what the virus needed to spread exponentially at a crucial period. Crowded shops with frantic selfish people falling over each other to grab and paw food - senseless idiocy. For absolutely no reason too, the shelves are still fully stocked. It also scared old people who are the most vulnerable. We will never know how much transmission was done during the panic days around the ides of March. A few posters here did their best to warn people of the futility and danger but people had already succumbed to the scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Neither my wife or I panic bought. The stockpiling of toilet tissue was the stupidest thing I have ever heard or seen. Even the bread stockpiling made a little sense in comparison.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Now that it’s seems to have registered with everyone that there is no shortage of supplies in the supermarkets, will any boardsies be honest enough to admit that they queued for hours outside Aldi? Piled their trolley with pasta? Bought 100 toilet rolls? Fought an old woman over a bag of frozen chips? If so, did you end up dumping stuff or what?

I don't see many admitting to their selfishness or stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

splinter65 wrote: »

we bought a load of food ..loads of it.
    was down Dunnes 2 days ago and many empty shelves and very little fresh fruit/veg in sight. No free range eggs and limited fresh meat - stuff I'd normally eat daily.

some eaten by now , some in freezer/fridge / cupboard.
    Apart from the off licence my bulk buy kept me out of supermarkets and away from the infected.
    I'd do it again.

What is it to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Neither my wife or I panic bought. The stockpiling of toilet tissue was the stupidest thing I have ever heard or seen. Even the bread stockpiling made a little sense in comparison.

The only thing about the stock piling of toilet roll is that it’s non perishable. It takes up a lot of space though.

paw patrol wrote: »
    was down Dunnes 2 days ago and many empty shelves and very little fresh fruit/veg in sight. No free range eggs and limited fresh meat - stuff I'd normally eat daily.

What is it to you?

I was in Dunnes yesterday (Westside Galway) and it was fully stocked with all the items you mentioned.

I was in Dunnes yesterday (Westside Galway) and it was fully stocked with all the items you mentioned.

I live in swords, galway would be hike for me for shopping .
    But thanks for the tip.

What is it to you?

I guess the question is did you buy a load of food the on the same days that people were frantically panic buying? Panic Thursday on 12th March was the peak.

some eaten by now , some in freezer/fridge / cupboard.
    Apart from the off licence my bulk buy kept me out of supermarkets and away from the infected.
    I'd do it again.

What is it to you?

There was a nurse on Sky news last week crying that when she came off an 18 hour shift she went to buy some food and the shelves were empty. Panic buying deprives others simple as, no justification .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I stockpiled in Feb before it was cool, it was nice to be able to ignore the hype 2 weeks ago

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I heard from a guy that works in an electrical shop that people were even buying chest freezers after filling the freezer they already had, the mind boggles. Id love to talk to someone who did this to ask them why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newlymarried

MadYaker wrote: »
    I heard from a guy that works in an electrical shop that people were even buying chest freezers after filling the freezer they already had, the mind boggles. Id love to talk to someone who did this to ask them why.

While it sounds crazy if you are to stay inside for three weeks or so doesn’t having a lot of food stocked up mean your good to go in that regard?

Surely the people who aren’t stocking up are the ones who have to make more trips outside

I can see the reasoning behind it

There was a nurse on Sky news last week crying that when she came off an 18 hour shift she went to buy some food and the shelves were empty. Panic buying deprives others simple as, no justification .

I have a duty to myself and my family and our aim was to avoid the virus and we have done this so far.
    Didn't our glorious leader say the shops would be full throughout - so whats your point?

It was sad video for sure but I can't go around afraid to do anything for fear of upsetting random people I doubt my buying stole from her trolley tbh.

anyway I'll eat all my food so nothing going to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I have a duty to myself and my family and our aim was to avoid the virus and we have done this so far.
    Didn't our glorious leader say the shops would be full throughout - so whats your point?

It was sad video for sure but I can't go around afraid to do anything for fear of upsetting random people I doubt my buying stole from her trolley tbh.

Smug attitude.

Actually you have a duty not to be a selfish ass*ole in times like these. Thankfully you are in the minority.

I guess the question is did you buy a load of food the on the same days that people were frantically panic buying? Panic Thursday on 12th March was the peak.

No , was the Tuesday . Did hit the off licence Thursday but that a local shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Toilet paper,kitchen roll, household cleaning products, washing powder,toiletries etc should be bought in bulk online in normal times.

You can save yourself a nice sum over a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No -very practical snd protecting his family and being sensible. I’m high risk category and did the same - now that infections are at 1,200 and not 9 anymore I’m glad I took precautions to keep myself safe and away from others who are all congregating in the narrow aisles of the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be honest I think that the promises of suppliers that shelves will be fully stocked and that there is loads in the supply chain is slightly disingenuous.

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday, large store.

There is no panic buying now from what I can see, and they have a 1 in, 1 out policy at the door, so the place was generally quiet.

Yet their entire frozen section was about 90% empty. Their toilet roll isle completely empty. Their cereal isle about 50% empty.

The measures they have introduced should mean that shelves are no longer empty, if supplies were coming regularly.

I don't think they are, or else there would be more stock.

Ironically, it's the small independent stores that now seem to have plenty of stock. Nearly every small shop I've been in the last week has had plenty of loo roll, pasta, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement