Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

alentejo wrote: »
    My 9 year old daughter pleaded with me to bring her to the supermarket today. She was desperate to do something. I didn't go in the end however I do think this level 5 will become unsustainable as time goes on!

Oh I know its hard for kids. I have 4 year old + this week especially with weather so bad I had to make up little trips so he would get out for some exercise. I'll bring him with me to postbox to send work letters or go to local shop for milk.

This is manageable as very quiet and your in and out. We used to go shopping as family every week but he hasn't been for weekly food shop since last March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Some people certainly seem to be becoming complacent.

Try and go food shopping early morning on the weekend or in the evening - when shops are quieter. Mornings are best as by the evening some shelves are empty.

Usually it's grand but this weekend was mental. Yea I'll go early or later in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

appledrop wrote: »
    Usually it's grand but this weekend was mental. Yea I'll go early or later in future.

I was passing my dunnes last Saturday and I said I'd swing in to do a top up shop (usually shop mornings mid week) just because of the weather warnings......queue was probably an hour to 2 hrs long so returned back to the car.

I thought last week it was people like me stocking up for the weather.

My friend was saying today her aldi was jammed people not keeping distance etc.

I have noticed the last few weeks that I'm in the minority shopping on my own. Mostly older (50/60/70's) couples, as I said I go early so tend not to get school age or teenagers at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

As they were purchasing alcohol I had to go over and approve the sale of the alcohol by scanning my card, I kindly asked them to step back so that they went on top of me, after a mouthful of verbal abuse from them, they eventually took a few steps back and I noticed that the self service checkout was also saying that the weight was off as all items placed in the bagging area after a customer scans them get weighed, long story short I saw one of them put a bottle of whisky down that hadn't been scanned when I asked them if they wanted to take it, I scanned it through and approved for the rest of the alcohol.

When I was approving it one of them came up behind me and started putting the money in the machine when I was still in the process of approving the alcohol, I again politely told him to step back both for his safety and my own personal safety. He gave me more verbal abuse then coughed at me.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058164369

Lidl
    chocolate digestives have gone up
    25% from 39c to 49c and
    14% from 43c to 49c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

zell12 wrote: »
    Lidl
    chocolate digestives have gone up
    25% from 39c to 49c and
    14% from 43c to 49c

Due to covid? ;)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭Polar101

VAT "Covid discount" is over, so I guess they'll introduce some sneaky price hikes at the same time.

Polar101 wrote: »
    VAT "Covid discount" is over, so I guess they'll introduce some sneaky price hikes at the same time.

Yup, I have to go into work early on Saturday morning to help get all the increases done.

Lidl have to resort to this in national advertising.
    One wonders how much crap and excuses the staff have had to deal with
    4roBbci.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lidl have to resort to this in national advertising.
    One wonders how much crap and excuses the staff have had to deal with
    4roBbci.png

Aldi took a compassionate approach more in line with the law.

154061800-1066027623905132-5497839669674358925-o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

If you can't wear a mask even for legitimate reasons don't go to places where you will be close to other people. Plenty of alternatives for people to get their shopping these days.

What religion doesn't allow facemasks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Which store is that photo from?.

The LIDL Ireland website says the following( differs from the photo by saying customers are "required" to wear masks, it also doesn't mention the religious aspect. There is the reference to medical exceptions.

"What are you doing to encourage social distancing in your stores?

Following government advice regarding social distancing, the following safety measures have been put in place across all 145 stores:

In line with Government legislation, all staff and customers are required to wear face coverings when in store (exceptions for medical conditions)

Our Colleagues in store encourage the wearing of facemasks and we have signage through-out the store encouraging all customers to follow the Government legislation"

https://www.aldi.ie/covid19-FAQ

Edit..meant to say Aldi one!

I'd say that stores are having a difficult time policing/regulating this, hence the more hardline messaging. Remember that customers go instore, remove masks to 'try' loose cherries or to talk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

The LIDL Ireland website says the following( differs from the photo by saying customers are "required" to wear masks, it also doesn't mention the religious aspect. There is the reference to medical exceptions.

"What are you doing to encourage social distancing in your stores?

Following government advice regarding social distancing, the following safety measures have been put in place across all 145 stores:

In line with Government legislation, all staff and customers are required to wear face coverings when in store (exceptions for medical conditions)

Our Colleagues in store encourage the wearing of facemasks and we have signage through-out the store encouraging all customers to follow the Government legislation"

https://www.aldi.ie/covid19-FAQ

Actually looking at it closely it looks photoshopped. If so you'd wonder what is going on in people's heads to go to this trouble to create misinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Mimon wrote: »
    Actually looking at it closely it looks photoshopped. If so you'd wonder what is going on in people's heads to go to this trouble to create misinformation.
    Are you referring to the Aldi one? That's definitely real, I've seen the sign at the Newlands Cross store in Dublin.

The Lidl one is from a newspaper advert today
    mMHTAp0.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Two idiots in lidl yesterday with no face mask
    Wandering around, not really shopping but looking at all the special buy items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The Lidl one is from a newspaper advert today
    mMHTAp0.png

Yip, that is what I expected.

In my OP I mistakenly referred to LIDL and not Aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mimon wrote: »

where exactly do you see evidence of photoshopping?!

Another here
    https://twitter.com/ozzy333/status/1360544268755103745

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What religion is against facemasks ?

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    That image is not from Aldi Ireland.

Either photoshopped or a very local exception from the UK - maybe a store that's in a specific community.

If you can't wear a mask, then you probably shouldn't be going to a busy store - tbh. It's amazing how many people seem to have medical reasons that prevent them from wearing a mask for ~20mins...

End of the day - private store, they can request you wear a Santa hat or they refuse admission.
    As I said above, I have seen the sign myself in Dublin - I distinctly remember wondering what religion would forbid the covering of a face when I saw it first.

That image is not from Aldi Ireland.

Either photoshopped or a very local exception from the UK - maybe a store that's in a specific community.

If you can't wear a mask, then you probably shouldn't be going to a busy store - tbh. It's amazing how many people seem to have medical reasons that prevent them from wearing a mask for ~20mins...

End of the day - private store, they can request you wear a Santa hat or they refuse admission.

Somebody else posted the same sign from aldi here, its real it would seem. Ill go near my local aldi later to confirm

How odd - my local Aldi has the exact same sign, without the religious line. Proximity to specific places of worship is the only thing I can think of then.

What religion forbids wearing a face mask for medical reasons!?!?
    These posts reminded me to google that, I forgot at the time :pac: Seems to be some argument which (Christian) anti-maskers in the US were making from what I can see so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How odd - my local Aldi has the exact same sign, without the religious line. Proximity to specific places of worship is the only thing I can think of then.

Is jehovah witness a religion? They can refuse blood transfusions. So it wouldn't surprise me if they see masks as being wrong and can cry the racial card for refusal into a shop. But other than that, I can't think of other religions that would be against face masks.

This is whats puzzling me, I can think of no religion that would have enough clout to be worthy of that sign here

The only thing I can think of as a religious reason, and its a big stretch, is muslim women removing their traditionally used facial coverings to replace them with masks, iykwim?

Can't think of anything else. Very odd sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The only thing I can think of as a religious reason, and its a big stretch, is muslim women removing their traditionally used facial coverings to replace them with masks, iykwim?

Can't think of anything else. Very odd sign.

I was thinking more along the lines of yobos trying to be smart saying it was against their religion. When the last time religion featured in their life was collecting their confo money and the next time it will feature is when they "find jesus" in jail.

If a religion prevented mask wearing they'd have no Drs or medical staff in their community.

I doubt it's muslim women as the face covering has no specification, just cover mouth and nose which a burka does.

It's abit of a puzzle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The burqa is a veil not a facemask.

I don't know, it was just a suggestion.

I could see a situation where someone might ask a muslim woman to replace their face covering with a mask... ?!?

It would be interesting to see what Aldi's reason for including religious reasons in the sign, were.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Not true. If a shop banned burkas for example they would be done for discrimination. Shops are entitled to put in place rules so long as they do not discriminate. There are numerous exemptions to the wearing masks in shops including disability. This is a protected ground under the equal status act.

Advertisement