Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

zell12 wrote: »
    Lidl have to resort to this in national advertising.
    One wonders how much crap and excuses the staff have had to deal with
    4roBbci.png

Ordinary staff have no right to enforce the requirement to wear a mask only the occupier of the premises or a manager can.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/296/made/en/print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

GT89 wrote: »
    Not true. If a shop banned burkas for example they would be done for discrimination. Shops are entitled to put in place rules so long as they do not discriminate. There are numerous exemptions to the wearing masks in shops including disability. This is a protected ground under the equal status act.

I am a druid, my religion requires nudity, am I OK then?

I am a druid, my religion requires nudity, am I OK then?

Are there any exemptions to the law requiring people to wear clothes? Silly comparison. I did not write the law why weren't all the pro mask people campaigning for no exemptions to wearing masks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Not true. If a shop banned burkas for example they would be done for discrimination. Shops are entitled to put in place rules so long as they do not discriminate. There are numerous exemptions to the wearing masks in shops including disability. This is a protected ground under the equal status act.

But shops aren't discriminating. All they're asking is that you wear a mask.

But shops aren't discriminating. All they're asking is that you wear a mask.

No mask no entry is discrimination. Asking people is fine but refusing people service and/or threatening to call the Gardai for not wearing a mask is discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No mask no entry is discrimination. Asking people is fine but refusing people service and/or threatening to call the Gardai for not wearing a mask is discrimination.

Well the Gardaí have no issues with making people leave shops for not wearing masks, when called on to do so, so your definition of discrimination is quite different to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can you link to some sort of legalisation that backs this up?

The Gardai will happily tell you the store has the right to refuse admission.
    They do but are not required to police that right in the way they do with liquor and tobacco. They will also have to deal with said customers when this is all over, never mind the current risk to staff in challenging customers over a mask. They seem to take a pragmatic approach and the very small numbers of cases linked to retail vindicates that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You have not got a clue what you are talking about.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can you link to some sort of legalisation that backs this up?

The Gardai will happily tell you the store has the right to refuse admission.

Ok here goes
    4. (1) A person shall not, without reasonable excuse, enter or remain in a relevant premises in a relevant geographical location without wearing a face covering.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to -

(a) a person under the age of 13 years,

(b) a responsible person or a worker where -

(i) there is a screen that separates the responsible person or worker from other persons, or

(ii) the responsible person or worker takes all reasonable steps to maintain a distance of at least two metres between himself or herself and other persons,

or

(c) a member of the Garda Síochána in the course of performing his or her duties.

Now for reasonable excuse
    Reasonable excuse

5. Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes reasonable excuse for the purposes of Regulation 4(1), a person has reasonable excuse if -

(a) the person cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering -

(i) because of any physical or mental illness, impairment or disability, or

(ii) without severe distress,

(b) the person needs to communicate with a person who has difficulties communicating (in relation to speech, language or otherwise),

(c) the person removes the face covering to provide emergency assistance or to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person,

(d) the person removes the face covering to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury,

(e) the person removes the face covering in order to, and only for the time required to, take medication,

(f) the person removes the face covering at the request of a responsible person, or of a worker, in order to enable him or her to ascertain the person’s age by reference to photographic identification for the purposes of the sale of goods or services in respect of which there is a minimum age requirement or where the responsible person, or worker, has lawful authority to verify the person’s identity, or

(g) the person removes the face covering at the request of a responsible person, or of a worker, in order to assist the responsible person or worker to provide him or her with healthcare or healthcare advice.

Discrimination> Right to refuse admission

If people cannot grasp what I am saying watch this video to gain a better understanding of exemptions to mask requirements.
    https://youtu.be/n1H_rrNaOVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Sconsey

If people cannot grasp what I am saying watch this video to gain a better understanding of exemptions to mask requirements.
    https://youtu.be/n1H_rrNaOVs

I'll call your gript odd-ball lawyer and raise you some information from a reputable source https://www.sor-solicitors.ie/blog/law-on-facemasks-in-retail.html

There are nine grounds for discrimination:
    • Gender,
    • Marital status,
    • Family status,
    • Sexual orientation,
    • Race,
    • Religion, and
    • Membership of the Traveller community

Being refused entry for not wearing a mask is not discriminatory unless you have a medical exemption (in which case, the sign asks that you inform staff) or on religious grounds - which is what some of us are wondering might be.

Being refused entry just because you don't LIKE wearing a mask, or don't WANT to wear a mask, is not discriminatory.

There are nine grounds for discrimination:
    • Gender,
    • Marital status,
    • Family status,
    • Sexual orientation,
    • Race,
    • Religion, and
    • Membership of the Traveller community

Being refused entry for not wearing a mask is not discriminatory unless you have a medical exemption (in which case, the sign asks that you inform staff) or on religious grounds - which is what some of us are wondering might be.

Being refused entry just because you don't LIKE wearing a mask, or don't WANT to wear a mask, is not discriminatory.

I have seen signs on shops saying "No mask no entry". It should say "No mask no entry unless exempt". Like the way a sign saying "No dogs allowed" is also illegal it should "No dogs except assistance dogs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Are there any exemptions to the law requiring people to wear clothes? Silly comparison. I did not write the law why weren't all the pro mask people campaigning for no exemptions to wearing masks?

There shouldn't be any exemptions from wearing masks.

There shouldn't be any exemptions from wearing masks.

The law states that there are exemptions. Once again I did not write the law. If I have a reasonable excuse and go into a shop sans face mask I am not breaking any law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is the Tesco website having serious wobbles for anyone else in the past hour?

Also, are they - for the most part - letting you keep delivery containers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Won't load for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Android app works fine.

Yes, always allowed to keep delivery containers.

Tesco.ie now stable and back at 100%

Question:

I paid with my Revolut card and I got a confirmation email saying it went through. But the money hasn't been taken from it yet an hour later

Is this normal and it's not taken until the day of delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Tesco.ie now stable and back at 100%

Question:

I paid with my Revolut card and I got a confirmation email saying it went through. But the money hasn't been taken from it yet an hour later

Is this normal and it's not taken until the day of delivery?

You will be charged the morning of your delivery, when they've done your order up instore. This way if things are out of stock you'll be charged the correct amount

• Advertisement

lucalux wrote: »
    You will be charged the morning of your delivery, when they've done your order up instore. This way if things are out of stock you'll be charged the correct amount

Brilliant thanks

I haven't used Revolut for Tescos before and I thought there was an error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Brilliant thanks

I haven't used Revolut for Tescos before and I thought there was an error

No bother, Tesco changed things a few months back, they now do a pre-authorisation on your card but don't charge anything to your account when the order is made. Full amount taken morning of delivery, so should be fine with Revolut.

Basically just checking is it a valid card.
    I've done the pre-auth after changing my order with no money in my account and it went through fine too. (money was going in at midnight for the order in the morning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

lucalux wrote: »
    No bother, Tesco changed things a few months back, they now do a pre-authorisation on your card but don't charge anything to your account when the order is made. Full amount taken morning of delivery, so should be fine with Revolut.

Basically just checking is it a valid card.
    I've done the pre-auth after changing my order with no money in my account and it went through fine too. (money was going in at midnight for the order in the morning)

It's not just a Tesco initiative, I got an email that Supervalu now doing same thing so it must be a regulatory thing.

I have a suspicion though that when I use the linked card contactless, the Tesco shadow transactions are tripping the algorithm and I have to enter PIN more often.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How are Dunnes stores allowed to be fully open. Weeks at least now, no restrictions there.
    You could always do click and collect with them.
    Yet other shops have to remain closed and are not allowed to offer click and collect.

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

last week i went in to dunnes stores the square tallaght. my intention was to buy a trouser belt..when i got to the mens section it was completely closed off with tape..but 5 yards away across the walkway there was a sale section which had mens jumpers,jackets,shirts and t-shirts etc..all at sale prices. I had a brief chat with an older gentleman there who was asking the same question that was in my mind. How are these mens clothing items for sale when the mens dept is completely closed off to the public..by law.

having had a quick look through the sale section hoping there was a belt there somewhere it became obvious that all the stuff on sale was of poor quality, winter stock that dunnes simply wanted rid of..and with people in desperate for clothing due to the pandemic..they'll have no choice but buy this crap. Dunnes are acting outside of the law. it is totally unaccpetable that SME's and independant traders are being denied a living while dunnes are free to break the law....

and no i didnt get a belt in the end..i was told by staff the mens dept was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’ve been told about blanch for a few weeks.
    Experienced it yesterday first hand.
    My wife had done a click and collect, well she clicked, I had to collect:(
    Why can Dunnes offer this but other shops cannot?

Anyway I go up and it is clearly a free for all in the shop. I queued and when I got to the till I gave my order number and I’m greeted with what felt like near contempt because she had to go and get the order. I was clearly the odd one out.

I asked is that not what everybody is supposed to be doing and was just told, oh no, we are full open. I asked why they were allowed and other shops are not. I didn’t expect much of an answer and was duly supplied with an I don’t know!

Told my wife the craic and she tells me that it was the same when she was up there a few weeks ago, and they only had one branded section closed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Seve OB wrote: »
    How are Dunnes stores allowed to be fully open. Weeks at least now, no restrictions there.
    Yet other shops have to remain closed and are not allowed to offer click and collect.

<snip>

They're probably just chancing their arm. M&S did something similar during the first lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

On a stand that previously held mugs/plates etc for sale in my local Dunnes supermarket (I was actually looking for a few more of the bowls I bought so went looking for it) it now hold fancy high heeled shoes! In the middle of the meat section, a tad odd!

phormium wrote: »
    On a stand that previously held mugs/plates etc for sale in my local Dunnes supermarket (I was actually looking for a few more of the bowls I bought so went looking for it) it now hold fancy high heeled shoes! In the middle of the meat section, a tad odd!

They are gas. My local Dunnes has everything apart from certain clothing open. All casual and sportswear is accessible and mingled in with are none sportswear :p They also do click and collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Seve OB wrote: »

<snip>

Mind your business and shop elsewhere if your that concerned

Advertisement