Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

SozBbz wrote: »
    Yep, special mention not to bring kids during those hours.

Kids shouldn't be in the shops if at all possible. I know there are single parents out there and this isn't always possible but iv'e seen groups of families in Lidl both my last weekly shops and it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Queue outside local Dunnes. Letting some in when others leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My local Supervalu was very civilised today - no queues, except for maybe 4 or 5 mins to get to the till, which was being very capably referreed by a staff member. Loads of stock of absolutely everything from what I could see.

My local Eurospar you could hardly walk around for boxes of stock waiting to be unloaded.

I won't panic just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Dunnes in the Rathmines has been well marshalled of late, from what I've seen, from the management of the queue, the sanitiser and gloves at the entrance, control of numbers and checkout.

Granted I've been going the last half hour before closing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

EUIlLFdWoAcnbhm?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Boots website is making me Q , wtf? I don't even want to buy anything, just checking quantities

https://queue.boots.ie/?c=boots&e=march2020roi&t=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boots.ie%2F&cv=1057592068&cid=en-GB

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ReverseGiraffe

What is the opening time for Lidl in the morning at the moment? Want to try and avoid the crowds as much as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What is the opening time for Lidl in the morning at the moment? Want to try and avoid the crowds as much as possible
    I think after tonight you might be better leaving it a day or two....a lot of people will likely have the same idea.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

gmisk wrote: »
    I think after tonight you might be better leaving it a day or two....a lot of people will likely have the same idea.
    Agreed. The shops will likely be raided again tomorrow. Glad I did mine a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ReverseGiraffe

gmisk wrote: »

Ya you could be right, only need a few bits to keep going probably not worth the risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ya you could be right, only need a few bits to keep going probably not worth the risk

Try local corner shop \ butchers \ petrol station if you just need a few bits.
    With the new restrictions the major supermarkets have announced, you'll likely be queuing outside for 30 minutes before you get in - so pick your supermarket with that in mind...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Are there any restrictions on Deliveries in the new announcements ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

8AM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SusanC10 wrote: »

Nothing I've read so far.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tesco near me was over ran with cars and people as soon as announcement was made, at least 50 cars in 5 minutes went in... One Garda car....

Shops are closed and cars still driving in.

Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Local filling station now has an usher ( like Dunnes) managing outside queue.

I work in dunnes and there were people waiting outside for nearly an hour before opening this morning. Tomorrow will be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tesco near me was over ran with cars and people as soon as announcement was made, at least 50 cars in 5 minutes went in... One Garda car....

Shops are closed and cars still driving in.

Nuts.

Panic buying clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

8AM!

I can guarantee you if you get there at 8, you'll be at the end of a long queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Panic buying clowns.

Exactly, if anything should come from these announcements is, stay the fook at home, if any sensible person sees huge crowds then turn away and go some other time.....

It's not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Panic buying will be almost impossible tomorrow. Nearly all large retailers have a customer limit and queueing system in place now and quantities of certain products are limited.

Wont stop idiots queuing up outside the shops tomorrow. Hopefully guards will come along and disperse if the queues become too large.

Bear in mind 9-11am is Lidl's time for elderly/vulnerable shoppers, so best to go after that. Or if possible leave it another day or two as tomorrow will be mental.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Why are people rushing out in the morning?

Supermarkets are trading as normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

SusanC10 wrote: »

I don't think so. Probably welcomed.

I think there will be a long wait for deliveries though. Lots of demand for deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭solidasarock

I wonder what happened to all that foot people panic bought 3 weeks ago when Leo announced the school closures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Why are people rushing out in the morning?

Supermarkets are trading as normal?

Don’t get it either, we are not going to run out of food, what the hell is wrong with people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

No one is possibly doing this but now i will have to implement this to try and stay safer when bringing shopping home:eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=emb_logo.

Please share.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Don’t get it either, we are not going to run out of food, what the hell is wrong with people!

All the idiots will be out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

All the idiots will be out tomorrow.

They may be, but they can't cause panic in the supermarkets anymore.
    All the retailer's now have strict 1 in 1 out systems in place to keep numbers down in store.
    Separation of shoppers at till and restrictions on hoarding of certain items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

thanks so much for sharing

also, seeing people obviously scared, scares the **** out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Panic buying will be almost impossible tomorrow. Nearly all large retailers have a customer limit and queueing system in place now and quantities of certain products are limited.

Wont stop idiots queuing up outside the shops tomorrow. Hopefully guards will come along and disperse if the queues become too large.

Just ask every member of your family to go with you, then you can load up on more and the restrictions are useless.

They will just build up bigger crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What sort of ****ty system does tesco use on their site?

Decided to sign up so I'd the option to use the delivery service if and when. I live in an estate in Tallaght. 40 odd years old near Old Bawn, so not some new estate. The address shows up when you search and register. My house number is 24. That all goes well. Then when I check the address , the first time it had the right address but it was down as no 6. Figured I must have clicked the wrong one (the whole road of numbers shows up, but not in numerical order) so went in to edit and it gave me the drop down of the street address' again with all the numbers , but the county drop down below was set to Carlow. Clicked 24 again , changed Carlow to Dublin and saved. Checked again and its down as number 19 now. No matter how many times I redo it, it's always number 19 in my address book when I check it. Am I missing something simple here or is it just a crap buggy site?

Why dont they just use ****ing eircode?

Not that it matters anyway, because the first slot available is 17th April...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tesco suspended shopping deliveries to Tallaght area about a year ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Balls, I do my weekly shop on a Saturday morning. Went to bed early last night after a long week of conference calls and wake up to pandemonium. I've very little left in the house and a vulnerable dependent so it's queueing for me today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Balls, I do my weekly shop on a Saturday morning. Went to bed early last night after a long week of conference calls and wake up to pandemonium. I've very little left in the house and a vulnerable dependent so it's queueing for me today.

There's always a queue with us now at our SuperValu. One in one out. It's all very civilised. We are heading at 8am(wife's turn) thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

zell12 wrote: »
    Tesco suspended shopping deliveries to Tallaght area about a year ago

Suspended in West Tallaght.other parts not suspended. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/tesco-suspends-home-delivery-to-dublin-suburb-due-to-attacks-on-drivers-38018028.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Pure carnage this morning. I'll try again this afternoon. Queuing on top of hundreds of others doesn't appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Hundreds queueing at Dunnes cornelscourt at 06:30am. Shop didn’t open until 7am. absolute clowns. The shelves will be emptied, then restocked by Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I'm gonna hang on until Monday to do my weekly shop. At least the panic buy items should be restocked by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Huge queue outside my local Dunnes.

Was expecting this after further measures.
    I wonder how many actually need 'essentials' though.

The more people see and hear of these crowds, the more will join them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's a behaviour learnt from disaster or zombie movies.

There is no shortage of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Once the restrictions were announced you could bet the farm on all the idiots of Ireland getting the shopping bags ready to queue at the shops this morning.

Well done Ireland, missing the point yet again in fine style.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Hundreds queueing at Dunnes cornelscourt at 06:30am. Shop didn’t open until 7am. absolute clowns. The shelves will be emptied, then restocked by Monday.

Yeah....was in that queue at about 6:50am.

Got my shopping done alright. Shelves fully stocked, no issues, well organised, a credit to Dunnes. ;)
    Even had flour!

I wasn't in a rush to go anywhere.........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So with this latest round of restrictions, does it mean that when supermarkets run out of perishables and all goods for that matter, there'll be no deliveries of stock for the next 2 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sligeach wrote: »
    So with this latest round of restrictions, does it mean that when supermarkets run out of perishables and all goods for that matter, is that it, there'll be no stock deliveries for the next 2 weeks?

No and no and no no no no.

There's plenty of stock. And there will be deliveries as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

sligeach wrote: »
    So with this latest round of restrictions, does it mean that when supermarkets run out of perishables and all goods for that matter, there'll be no deliveries of stock for the next 2 weeks?

NO!!!
    All food and delivery / logistics still essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

listermint wrote: »
    No and no and no no no no.

There's plenty of stock. And there will be deliveries as normal.

See I read this last night:
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that from midnight 27 March and for a two-week period, until Easter Sunday, everybody must stay at home, in all circumstances:

Except

- To travel to and from work for the purposes of work only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service or cannot be done from home (a list of these will be provided)

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0327/1126911-ireland-restrictions-covid19/

I haven't seen the list, but I would presume food production and delivery to supermarkets are essential services.

I know it says this further down:
    - For farming purposes that is food production and care of animals

But it's not crystal clear and with 2km travel restrictions, I'm just not sure if supplies will be affected or there'll be some bottlenecks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

The 2km restriction is for exercise only.
    You can travel in isolation however far it is to your local supermarket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Is it one person at a time in and out everywhere now?

Advertisement