Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Aegir wrote: »
    do they?

what is the correct number of deaths, based on the fact it unfortunately isn't going to be zero?

Since they are purposely not testing enough we can only go off their deaths totals which as of today stands at 233.

France with 450 deaths has 12k infected but they havent updated theirs today, the US has 288 dead with 20k infected but they also havent been testing enough.

These numbers show 2 things either the UK deffinitely aren't testing enough OR british people for some bizarre reason are far more likely to die from this.

Which do you think it is?

I am trying to have a civilized debate here , it is widely accepted that the initial UK strategy was callous but when this event passes it is possible that the fatality numbers across Europe may be similar but the UK government may be better thanked for their financial support which incidentally is being lauded on the 6-1 news right now while leading economists are questioning ours and virologist Sam Mc Conkey is becoming sceptical that our social distancing is being effective.

The support they are offerring while fantastic is unsustainable over the months this is projected to last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

VinLieger wrote: »
    These numbers show 2 things either the UK deffinitely aren't testing enough OR british people for some bizarre reason are far more likely to die from this.

Which do you think it is?

That's pretty much the crux of it. The ONLY known number in all the examples is Deaths.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Water John wrote:
    The rate of infection over time may be the same as by taking social distancing measures ROI may have Covid 19 longer. However because the critical hospital system hopefully will not be over whelmed here and may be in the UK, more people could die in the UK.
    NHS is collapsing on its own due long term underfunding and mismanagement and now also labour shortages. They'll not be able to handle any larger covid-19 outbreak. My superficial reading of the situation. Unless HMG has some secret trump we're not aware of ;) Agent 007 perhaps.

Yet now that the UK's death rate has absolutely dwarfed ours- They've 80 times the number of deaths as Ireland, despite only having 6 times the number of confirmed cases- it's "too early to tell " and "there's mitigating circumstances" or "Ireland's numbers are suspect"?

As I said BS. The Tory regime should be tried in Hague (or ECHR :p) for this by the British public. It's a criminal behaviour what they've done.

I call it a regime because we need to call the things they really are. It is not a normal government.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote:
    The rate of infection over time may be the same as by taking social distancing measures ROI may have Covid 19 longer. However because the critical hospital system hopefully will not be over whelmed here and may be in the UK, more people could die in the UK.
    Exactly, that's my understanding of that as a layman (I'm not an epidemiologist)...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 i5kra

Watching BBC or Sky News is like seeing the first few minutes of a horror movie where the arrogant teenagers think they are invincible and are acting like dimwits.

And you know that bad, bad things are going to happen very, very soon.

Johnson is going to go down in history as a monster who deliberately delayed taking measures because he cared more about the economy than saving lives. Pretty much every other country has adopted much more stringent measures, so there will be no place to hide for him when the reckoning comes. And it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

The Brits are flat out lying about their numbers. Yesterday they said they had 20 ICU patients despite an entire London hospital no longer able to handle anymore patients. Today they announce 56 deaths and the ICU figure is still at 20. It's quite clear that the numbers don't stack up. Unusually so far the media have said very little but surely someone starts asking the hard questions shortly.

The Brits are flat out lying about their numbers. Yesterday they said they had 20 ICU patients despite an entire London hospital no longer able to handle anymore patients. Today they announce 56 deaths and the ICU figure is still at 20. It's quite clear that the numbers don't stack up. Unusually so far the media have said very little but surely someone starts asking the hard questions shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

i5kra wrote: »
    Watching BBC or Sky News is like seeing the first few minutes of a horror movie where the arrogant teenagers think they are invincible and are acting like dimwits.

And you know that bad, bad things are going to happen very, very soon.

Johnson is going to go down in history as a monster who deliberately delayed taking measures because he cared more about the economy than saving lives. Pretty much every other country has adopted much more stringent measures, so there will be no place to hide for him when the reckoning comes. And it will.

Just think Reeling in the Years 2020 - a clip of Boris Johnson clumsily trying to explain "herd immunity" followed by scenes of unimaginable horror.

VinLieger wrote: »

Plenty of cameras in the UK. People like that should be tracked down and imprisoned. Same for anyone taunting the elderly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The tax payers are the ones being protected by their own taxes , the UK strategy like it or loathe it may be as successful as ours .

Put that in figures for us. Because as far as I can see, Johnson is taking out a 50-year mortgage on the country to make up for his buffoonery, a mortgage that he himself will never pay.

I am trying to have a civilized debate here , it is widely accepted that the initial UK strategy was callous but when this event passes it is possible that the fatality numbers across Europe may be similar but the UK government may be better thanked for their financial support
    So instead of talking in terms waffley "may be as successful" and "may be better thanked" describe exactly why the UK's strategy is going to be better.

[why is it that Johnson apologists are great at asking for proof but never, ever offer any of their own? :rolleyes: ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The exact same as Italy if they are 2 weeks behind

233 deaths today

ETpq2vpXkAExrKw?format=jpg&name=large

RasTa wrote:
    233 deaths today
    233 total...

As I said, the exact same at 233 and 14 days behind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RasTa wrote: »
    The exact same as Italy if they are 2 weeks behind

233 deaths today

ETpq2vpXkAExrKw?format=jpg&name=large

What measures did Italy, and other countries, take at the various dates?

robinph wrote: »
    What measures did Italy, and other countries, take at the various dates?

Italy went full lockdown on 9th March. 8th March for North and 21st Feb in the provence of Lodi

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So the 23rd should be tipping point, a slow down on the increase of positives.

RasTa wrote:

Italy had the same number of deaths on 7 March when they had 5880 confirmed cases.

National quarantine was announced on 9 March. Measures were placed in Lombardy prior to that.

Numbers roughly the same. Measures massively different. And the epicentre wasn't in a large city in Italy. London is going to be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

More much needed positive news following the UK government`s decision to help people financially,the NHS securing additional staff,beds and ventilators .Also, sky news reports UK companies are gearing up to produce ventilators-although obviously we have a long way to go to catch up with Ireland!
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-nhs-beds-staff-private-hospitals-cases-deaths-a9416126.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The real worrying country in terms of exponential growth of confirmed cases is the US. Of course that might be an uptick in testing, as it now stands though the US figures are bad. They added 5,400 today which is 800 more than the total cases they had 5 days ago.

The US will trend past Italy and China in the next few days, if present trends continue.

Many other countries are moving away from an exponential trend though, although it isnt flattening as much as hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

McGiver wrote: »
    As I said BS. The Tory regime should be tried in Hague (or ECHR :p) for this by the British public. It's a criminal behaviour what they've done.

I call it a regime because we need to call the things they really are. It is not a normal government.

You are beyond help and it’s sad. Luckily you have a lot of likeminded company in this eco chamber!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Put that in figures for us. Because as far as I can see, Johnson is taking out a 50-year mortgage on the country to make up for his buffoonery, a mortgage that he himself will never pay.

So instead of talking in terms waffley "may be as successful" and "may be better thanked" describe exactly why the UK's strategy is going to be better.

[why is it that Johnson apologists are great at asking for proof but never, ever offer any of their own? :rolleyes: ]

Nobody has any idea how much this will cost but it will run into trillions in Europe , how it will be paid back is anybodys guess , I would say some sort of debt reset will eventually be worked out due to the scale of the events.

On your second point , I don't think anyone has any idea whose strategy will be successful , I imagine they will all be the same as the UK and Europe now have broadly the same strategy it will be more about who makes the biggest effort to mitigate the effects during and after it has passed .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

FVP3 wrote: »
    The real worrying country in terms of exponential growth of confirmed cases is the US. Of course that might be an uptick in testing, as it now stands though the US figures are bad. They added 5,400 today which is 800 more than the total cases they had 5 days ago.

The US will trend past Italy and China in the next few days, if present trends continue.

Many other countries are moving away from an exponential trend though, although it isnt flattening as much as hoped.

Americans are testing a lot more than they used to. They didn't test before because they were low on kits. Their confirmed numbers are pure fantasy from beginning.

Worrying thing about USA is their privatized health system and lack of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

RasTa wrote: »

So that confirms that the UK's "right measures at the right time" strategy was and is only as good as the world's worst-case scenario to date, and that with a 14-day advantage. Not exactly something to be very pleased with or proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I've friends in London. They won't return here as their parents are elderly, but they decided to rent an isolated farmhouse in North Wales

They are staying there for two weeks and then will travel back here by ferry.

They said they think London is riddled with it and up to last Tuesday when they left, no one was taking it seriously.

You are beyond help and it’s sad. Luckily you have a lot of likeminded company in this eco chamber!
    Keep calm and carry on then. Pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

WHO and national Govn'ts know about dealing with epidemics and new diseases. You have Sars, Mers, Ebola and Zitka. If UK wants to try an alternative they better inform the public of the great experiment they are part of.

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    I've friends in London. They won't return here as their parents are elderly, but they decided to rent an isolated farmhouse in North Wales

They are staying there for two weeks and then will travel back here by ferry.

They said they think London is riddled with it and up to last Tuesday when they left, no one was taking it seriously.

Whats to stop them catching it on the ferry on the way back. Theyd need to isolate here for another 2 weeks before going home. Ferries will be a breeding ground for the virus. So many people touching so many surfaces

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement