Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Mr Cummings and Boris Johnson are shrewd enough to recognise Post-Obama politics.

Nobody actually gives a monkeys that Cummings may or may not have broken lockdown rules. They have a massive majority, a divided opposition and there ain't going to be an election for nearly 5 years.

The only people that actually care are political media and opposition supporters. They are literally not going to lose 1 single vote over it. In 4.5 years time, not one single person is going to turn up at the ballot box, remember this and change their vote.

The media want Cummings head because he is changing the Paradigm on UK politics of not having to woo the media to win the people. Piers Morgan is losing his rag wanting him sacked because the government won't go on GMB anymore and he wants Cummings head for it :pac:

It's all outdated nonsense. Never apologise if you're not sorry. I think Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson know that. It won't be a story in a week.

Oh don't go spoiling the party, that won't go down too well here.

The whole thing is like a comedic parody sketch at this stage. I can't believe YouGov did a poll on it yesterday. The question they should have asked if there was one worth asking is 'do you give a s*it'.

Watching Christina Patterson on Sky News last night loose it was as funny as it was cringe..."it's a matter of life and death...some couldn't to to funerals ...some ppl will just break the rules now..." etc. Talk about being hysterical.

It's disappointing to see Sophie Ridge descend into tabloid-y style journalism, sending out questions in advance on social media. Why would Grant Chaps know every last detail of Cummings private movements? And to expect him to find out is just silly.

This story is hyped up because journalist are out to get Cummings, so this story is as much about them as it is about Cummings. And they wonder then why recent polls show respect for them is at an all time low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

AllForIt wrote: »

Yes, it's the Media Fault for making Dom travel to Durham.
    No doubt you would be giving out about the media if someone like Starmer was exposed for flouting the rules .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One odd thing is why did Cummings missus make up that tissue of lies in her spectator piece? Was there a point to it, or just a fantasy story just for something to write?

She said poor dom was "doggo" in bed for 10 days, recovering at the same time as the pm went into hospital [5 April]. Which means he was prostrate in bed, not far off needing critical intervention as per her account, from c.26 March, at the same time he was driving his ill wife - who should have been in quarantine at home - and child 260 miles north to his elderly parents house. Very curious indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ridge isn't even going in hard on Shapps and he's twisting so hard in the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    To me it demonstrates the level of fear that Cummings instills in Tory MP's. Truly sight to behold. Shapps should have called him up yesterday evening and aggressively demanded that Cummings give him the sequence of events and proper explanations knowing what was ahead this morning. After all it is his integrity and reputation on the line as he has to face the media to answer the questions.

Judging by this mornings performance, it seems he was no more informed than when this controversy started and developed throughout yesterday evening.

Cummings is going to brazen this out, his body language yesterday suggested he does not give a fiddlers.

Remember Johnson expelling all those Tory MP's last year for not voting for the deal? That sent the message to those that stayed, your either with us or you are gone. Very effective and, what is the word, totallitarian?

The whole thing is like a comedic parody sketch at this stage. I can't believe YouGov did a poll on it yesterday. The question they should have asked if there was one worth asking is 'do you give a s*it'.

Watching Christina Patterson on Sky News last night loose it was as funny as it was cringe..."it's a matter of life and death...some couldn't to to funerals ...some ppl will just break the rules now..." etc. Talk about being hysterical.

It's disappointing to see Sophie Ridge descend into tabloid-y style journalism, sending out questions in advance on social media. Why would Grant Chaps know every last detail of Cummings private movements? And to expect him to find out is just silly.

This story is hyped up because journalist are out to get Cummings, so this story is as much about them as it is about Cummings. And they wonder then why recent polls show respect for them is at an all time low.

Ok, but what do you think of what he did? We know you think the media is a joke, but do you think he broke the guidelines of the government?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

People missed out on spending time with their dying loved ones ffs because they followed Government Guidance for the sake of the greater good.

Do not defend the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

One odd thing is why did Cummings missus make up that tissue of lies in her spectator piece? Was there a point to it, or just a fantasy story just for something to write?

She said poor dom was "doggo" in bed for 10 days, recovering at the same time as the pm went into hospital [5 April]. Which means he was prostrate in bed, not far off needing critical intervention as per her account, from c.26 March, at the same time he was driving his ill wife - who should have been in quarantine at home - and child 260 miles north to his elderly parents house. Very curious indeed.

Seeing as she is apparently the commissioning editor of that magazine, she can continue to publish made-up bull**** as long as she likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Up until now I've followed the lockdown rules to a tee and had planned on doing so until this all settled down. After this weekend I think I'm going to interpret the rules a little differently and base my actions on common sense and what I feel is best for my family.

The government has basically communicated to me that this is a reasonable course to take this weekend. I'm 99% sure that my actions won't have any negative effect on the spreading of the virus as I'll still be extremely careful at ensuring that risk is at a level I'm satisfied with.

I assume there will be plenty of others around the country doing similar. My issue is with the government response and not Cummings actions himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It appears Cummings was unlucky in that he was spotted by a very nosey neighbour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Up until now I've followed the lockdown rules to a tee and had planned on doing so until this all settled down. After this weekend I think I'm going to interpret the rules a little differently and base my actions on common sense and what I feel is best for my family.

The government has basically communicated to me that this is a reasonable course to take this weekend. I'm 99% sure that my actions won't have any negative effect on the spreading of the virus as I'll still be extremely careful at ensuring that risk is at a level I'm satisfied with.

I assume there will be plenty of others around the country doing similar. My issue is with the government response and not Cummings actions himself.

I suspect the Government are going to try and get ahead of this story by announcing a further easing of restrictions soon. You'd begin to wonder does Dominic have a lot of dirt on senior Tories if they are willing to go to these lengths to save him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Apparently he’s been in Downing St the last half hour and Peston has been given the nod by ministers that “it’s only a matter of time before he goes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

Cummings is in No. 10 now. My guess is that this will be his last time there. He HAS to be fired.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Oooh when the self proclaimed "brexit hardman" steve baker comes for you you better watch yourself /s

Joking aside its interesting to see ERG and Brexit hardliners going against him, kinda displays how fully out of touch he is with the average tory mp if the man who won brexit for them has already lost their tacit support.

Its also fascinating the comparisons to Malcolm Tuckers firing though, once theres blood in the water everyone really does start circling. Cummings like tucker made enemies everywhere due to his machinations but was able to keep them in line as long as he wasnt the story, once he became vulnerable all bets were off and anyone who was afraid of him will take their chance when they can to stick it to him because they may never get another shot.

Furthermore Glen Cullen is on Sky News live from his sister's place in Dorset:

514115.jpg
    ---

The incessant nature of the media's attack is so enjoyable. Tbf Simon Hoare above was a damn sight more at ease with talking about it. Though he's a lot more media competent than Shapps anyway.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Apparently he’s been in Downing St the last half hour and Peston has been given the nod by ministers that “it’s only a matter of time before he goes”.

Wonder will the cabinet backtrack on their supportive tweets yesterday.

Their tweets were incredibly silly given the risk of a second wave still exists.

British politics is fierce entertaining.

Enzokk wrote: »
    Those new Tory MP's from northern towns are going to be very uncomfortable for the next 4 years I think. They are going to learn the hard way about Tory policies and the London/South East focus the party has. If they think they will be prioritised ahead of the Tory heartlands where the likes of Rees-Mogg and May and Gove hail from they and their voters are going to be disappointed. They are new enough not to have political clout but their numbers aren't large enough to really force the government to change tack.

As for the news that Steve Baker is the first Tory MP to state that Cummings must go, it will be fascinating to see if the government tries to resist these calls as they will not ramp up in pressure. Either he goes which will be chaotic, or he stays and it will be chaotic. Too bad we are past the 5 years of stability that Cameron told us he would bring over Labour in 2015, then again his actions has led to this so he is still responsible for this chaos over what Miliband would have brought.

And in other news, nothing to see here but a casually racist joke from a cabinet minister.

Cabinet minister Anne-Marie Trevelyan in race row over anti-Chinese jibe

She must be sleeping so well seeing that the Cummings news broke at the same time as this came out.

Imagine if someone stole her corn? Eeesh.

Folding like dominos now. Once Baker broke cover, that was beginning of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Ha ha ha he's gone :pac:

Scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Their tweets were incredibly silly given the risk of a second wave still exists.

Tweets are starting to be deleted, starting with backbenchers

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1264480522966892557

I still think that Johnson and Cummings will brazen this out

I still think that Johnson and Cummings will brazen this out

They might but i think damage is done anyway. Authority is being shredded and party loyalty is fraying. Even with big majority bodes extremely badly for the many and varied crisis that lie ahead.

• Advertisement

Not sure it even matters anymore but there was, apparently, a third trip north in May. Maybe more details in the papers to follow, but not sure its needed if pm grows a pair or conscience and boots him out.

https://twitter.com/walla81/status/1259470770750849026?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was hilarious to see them all backing him ....the mirror and observer wait a while and drop their follow up story....ha ha ...really exposing the majority of them for the clowns they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ha ha ha he's gone :pac:

Scumbag
    Don't see any official announcement yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I am taking zero joy in what's going on, no schadenfreude here. This is life and death we're talking about, depressing that the government is more than likely running around firefighting this weekend rather than addressing the actual pandemic on our doorsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure it even matters anymore but there was, apparently, a third trip north in May. Maybe more details in the papers to follow, but not sure its needed if pm grows a pair or conscience and boots him out.

https://twitter.com/walla81/status/1259470770750849026?s=20

It's probably worth pointing out that he has allegedly denied he made more than one journey.

That's not a judgement on the situation, I'm no fan of Cummings (anything but), but we only know for sure that he made one journey.

I am taking zero joy in what's going on, no schadenfreude here. This is life and death we're talking about, depressing that the government is more than likely running around firefighting this weekend rather than addressing the actual pandemic on our doorsteps.

Yeah.

Was it Alistair Campbell who said that if you're still the story after three days then you need to go? Somebody said it anyway.

To still be the story on Day 3 (the news broke on Friday evening) in the middle of an unprecedented, in modern times, global pandemic is quite an achievement!

bilston wrote: »
    It's probably worth pointing out that he has allegedly denied he made more than one journey.

That's not a judgement on the situation, I'm no fan of Cummings (anything but), but we only know for sure that he made one journey.

Fair enough. What we know for absolute certain is he made one trip that broke the regulations and very likely made one and possibly more, unless multiple people are lying. If he or pm actually fronted up we could have had clarity already. But they won't, so this is where we are.

I think this paragraph describes much of the cabinet pretty well.

https://twitter.com/Joanna__Hardy/status/1264520941926780928?s=20

Fair enough. What we know for absolute certain is he made one trip that broke the regulations and very likely made one and possibly more, unless multiple people are lying. If he or pm actually fronted up we could have had clarity already. But they won't, so this is where we are.

Agree.

No chance of any of that happening.

• Advertisement

Agree with you. It is a very serious business. The big issue i'd have is those defending cummings, as Shapps tried, on the basis this is cooperatively trivial and deflecting from the main job of fighting the virus. Or political point scoring by opponents. But if you don't hold people to account during a crisis like this, when will you ever do it? That's why i think this is far too important to let go. It would just bolster the license they already think they possess to do basically anything they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Cummings has been cut across markets to be out the door by 1st June.

Last night was 4.8 (exchange) and 1.67 (regular books), this morning shortend to just 1.4 with PPowers.
    Really just depends on the level of protest to force a resignation (Boris mightn't have the cojones do it) between now and next Sunday.
    Exit date pre-1st July is even shorter at just 1.22.

Needless to say the papers and media aren't dropping the story anytime soon.
    Tally ho strange chap.

Cummings has been cut across markets to be out the door by 1st June.

Last night was 4.8 (exchange) and 1.67 (regular books), this morning shortend to just 1.4 with PPowers.
    Really just depends on the level of protest to force a resignation (Boris mightn't have the cojones do it) between now and next Sunday.
    Exit date pre-1st July is even shorter at just 1.22.

Needless to say the papers and media aren't dropping the story anytime soon.
    Tally ho strange chap.

The 1st June is still 8 days away, if he is going to go I'd say he will be gone before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If he’s not gone yet he’s not being sacked imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

bilston wrote: »
    The 1st June is still 8 days away, if he is going to go I'd say he will be gone before then.
    Agree 8 days is plenty of time for fulfilment.
    Price dropped again 1.36

The fella wasn't liked from the getgo, maybe he's really a genius and super-forecaster, the 'current forecast' isn't great for him though.

Boris is on shaky ground himself: an economy on the rocks, hardly seen and list of errors building up.
    Exit data of 2020 (31 Dec) 5.0, 2021 8.0 (double it with the Trump man 2.0, obvs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Given he's unelected and not really answerable to the public, I can see him resigning/being fired but staying in some capacity even at arms length. There's no way they'll just cut contact with him and not listen to what he wants done. Or as said before, a Com Dummings will appear and take the job.

Good job the UK hates unelected figures making major decisions affecting them :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Happy to report Grant Shapps being given a break today, possibly on account of being a likely gibbering wreck by now, and housing secretary Robert Jenrick will be conducting today's briefing. While another hapless mug, it's actually quite an appropriate choice as Jenrick knows a bit about being a senior government figure who broke the lockdown rules and NOT resigning.

At least he's seen the error of his ways but still humiliating all the same. Herd mentality in full swing today. At this rate Steve Baker will be prime minister by next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

There's resigning and there's resigning, he could still be there after

Wasn't Alistair Campbell sacked and was still doing his job or was that someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

Boris problem is he messed up the lockdown

Caused a lot of deaths and there's no getting away from it

• Advertisement

There is a great 'insight article' in the Sunday Times today, a bit long - if mods are OK with it, I will copy it here

https://twitter.com/Simon_Nixon/status/1264456456104968198

Chatting to an English friend who lives in Glasgow. He's had enough of the double standards and is travelling to Northumbria for the wife's birthday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Daily Mail have called everyone who criticised Laura K as left wing trolls
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1264527798661677058
    Happy to report Grant Shapps being given a break today, possibly on account of being a likely gibbering wreck by now, and housing secretary Robert Jenrick will be conducting today's briefing. While another hapless mug, it's actually quite an appropriate choice as Jenrick knows a bit about being a senior government figure who broke the lockdown rules and NOT resigning.

Good to see that the senior figures in the Tory party are not hiding from the public. Absolutely spineless. Just like when Johnson was in hospital, self preservation is the name of the game, party before people, again, again and again.

Wrong priorities, wrong values, out of touch, same old Tories.

devnull wrote: »
    The Daily Mail have called everyone who criticised Laura K as left wing trolls
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1264527798661677058

Good to see that the senior figures in the Tory party are not hiding from the public. Absolutely spineless. Just like when Johnson was in hospital, self preservation is the name of the game, party before people, again, again and again.

Wrong priorities, wrong values, out of touch, same old Tories.

AC Grayling and Philip Pullman, both successful and hugely respected figures in their fields, are "left wing trolls" for criticising Kuennsberg for lazily parroting downing st spin! I know who the real trolls are in that scenario.

Wonder what tack Jenrick will take today. Will he do the full manuel i knowa nothing like Shapps or will there be a fresh line of spin? Might fall some place between the two i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is Boris gone away for the bank holiday?

Longest bank holiday ever

He has been posted missing for quite a while now

Might have been away but figure he must have returned today to meet Cummings in downing st. Not that it would make a difference as regards his prospects of showing up for a briefing anyway. No chance at the best of times.

He is scheduled to face the liaison committee on Wednesday though, his first since becoming pm, 9 months ago - a record for a sitting pm. Still time for him to duck it, i reckon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

James O'B is right on the money here...

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1264554365144137728?s=19

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Is Boris gone away for the bank holiday?

This hiding away is normal for Johnson. The reports when was elected as leader of the Tories was numerous that he is lazy and leaves the work to the underlings. He is there, much like Trump, for the prestige and not because he wants to make a difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Press conference will no longer happen at 4pm, pushed back until at least 5pm

Beth Rigby seems to have heard something suggesting they will fight on and has a theory of how:
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1264565595023998976

Clearly there is some strategy meeting going on by the sounds of it.

Edit: looks like the Police haven't finished with Mr Cummings
    https://twitter.com/samholdertv/status/1264561285527732229

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement