Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He has extended family in London, whatever about his wife. So not clear why he couldn't call on them.

And also, as the guidance makes clear, there are NHS among other support hubs available for families in tough situations. He should at a minimum have consulted them if they were in that situation.

Even without extended family in London, they have social services, and he has the resources of No10 at his disposal.

If him and his wife were incapable of minding the kid then No10 would swiftly be transporting his sister down to London and getting his aides minding the kid for the few hours that took. They have childrens services in London.

No excuse whatsoever for having travelled the length of the country.

If he was living on an isolated island in the Shetlands where there was nobody else lived then yes, move to somewhere that other people exist if the household gets ill so there would be support. Otherwise, it's all a load of crap excuses that they are coming up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

paw patrol wrote: »
    are they? I'm not aware if they are or are not.
    Do you know their medical history?

because age is NOT a factor in the UK for covid "higher risk"
    only "moderate risk"

It's almost like that are a different country not rules my Dr Tony - who'd have thought that.:pac:

you are making stuff up now...she said what she said - no limits mentioned. she said family , his parents are his family.

his parents (as stated above ) are not vulnerable - unless you know their medical history - do you?

for those of you who think Dr. Tonys dictatorship applies to the UK , please educate yourselves.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/whos-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/

if you want to split hairs and argue between High Risk and Moderate Risk...please note the bottom notes...moderate risk people are still able to go to work, go for food and exercise. Seems reasonable to take the grand kids so.

Is there any particular reason you are so eager to go to bat for this self-serving creep?

I mean it hardly needs to be pointed out, but he wouldn't do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

are they? I'm not aware if they are or are not.
    Do you know their medical history?

because age is NOT a factor in the UK for covid "higher risk"
    only "moderate risk"

It's almost like that are a different country not rules my Dr Tony - who'd have thought so.

You need to go back and have a read of the guidelines, particularly the section relating to over 70s. Leaving a child that had been in contact with at least one, if not two, infected people with two over 70s is an absolute breach of the regulations. They dont seem to have done so anyway.

"The advice for those aged 70 and over continues to be that they should take particular care to minimise contact with others outside their household."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

It really is an incredible admission of how much power Dominic Cummings seems to hold though:

That on Saturday almost every Minister in cabinet, and the Attorney General publically supports him

That on Sunday, the Prime Minister backs him to the hilt, no apologies, questions, enquiry anything, just on DC's word

And on Monday, an unelected Advisor is now giving a press conference and answering questions despite all rules saying he can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what time his presser is on? Wanna make sure I have sufficient popcorn :D

Want to know this myself, I always enjoy a bit of political bloodsports.

This could be a bad move by Dom, he is not a seasoned politican used to doing pressers and Q&A sessions. But Im guessing he is strictly controlling what journos get to ask the questions right now.
    He did not leave his kids with anyone though!

This needs to be established in the Q&A, his whole excuse was about childcare for his kid yet he never used any childcare and instead whet on a day trip to Barnard and another one to walk in the woods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

VinLieger wrote: »

It looks like he took the same journey at least twice and possibly even three times now, there is literally no question anymore that he broke the rules.

Even if he only undertook one journey he clearly broke the rules. He is going to go down the contrite route and play the concerned parent at his press conference, which will probably see him hang on. The only way he'll be forced to go is if undeniable evidence emerges of him being at the castle, or on his second or third trip to Durham. You would imagine a forecourt cctv image would emerge if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

you are making stuff up now...she said what she said - no limits mentioned. she said family , his parents are his family.

Link the full quote please because all ive seen her say was "exceptional circumstances"

for those of you who think Dr. Tonys dictatorship applies to the UK , please educate yourselves.

"dicatorship".... "educate yourselves"..... ??? Jesus you nearly hit a full bingo for an armchair facebook expert in just a single post.

Ill keep taking my advice from the people who have led Ireland to having half the mortality rate per million than that in the UK and who aren't willing to sacrifice more lives by ending the restrictions early in a irresponsible attempt to end a negative media cycle and save their own positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

From your own link

To stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), you should try to avoid close contact with anyone you do not live with.
    Also

you are being purposely obtuse here
    because its' clear his parents are not vulnerable (my link to the NHS) - the poster Vinleger (and others) previous accusation - and Cummings (unless lying that he was sick) was following the medical guidelines as I refereed to the Deputy Medical Advisor (on the TV).

He did not mention risk, you did that. He mentioned vulnerable cohort

please read what is actually written.

The NHS definitions use the word risk and have different categories.
    The moderate risk people are still able to go out , so that arent vulnerable.
    AGE is only a factor in the moderate risk category. I was pointing our clearly that Cummings parents are NOT vulnerable unless you know their medical history

It's not that complicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

you are being purposely obtuse here
    because its' clear his parents are not vulnerable (my link to the NHS) - the poster Vinleger (and others) previous accusation - and Cummings (unless lying that he was sick) was following the medical guidelines as I refereed to the Deputy Medical Advisor (on the TV).

I never said his parents were at risk, I'm pointing out that your link clearly states that if you have symptoms then you stay at home. It does not say you can leave and travel to see your parents and it clearly states stay away from people from.other households. He clearly broke those two rules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Muahahaha wrote: »

This needs to be established in the Q&A, his whole excuse was about childcare for his kid yet he never used any childcare and instead whet on a day trip to Barnard and another one to walk in the woods.

Pretty sure that even if childcare was an issue for a household that would not mean that the household could go off in search of childcare help. The childcare assistance would have to come to you as you the infected adults are under clear instruction to not leave home under any circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

James O'Brian doesn't think DC should not be allowed to give his side of the story because he's doing it on the telly. Yes, the same righteous fair-minded unbiased James O'Brien who sadly had to suspend his vacation to perform for his fans. Where would we be without him. And remember everyone, as JoB says, it all started in 1979.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1264890664740958210

Any questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

AllForIt wrote: »
    James O'Brian doesn't think DC should not be allowed to give his side of the story because he's doing it on the telly. Yes, the same righteous fair-minded unbiased James O'Brien who sadly had to suspend his vacation to perform for his fans. Where would we be without him. And remember everyone, as JoB says, it all started in 1979.

Any questions?

What a sad little strawman you've constructed

His parents are over 70 so they are part of the vulnerable group. This is there in the government guidelines, in black and white. Go look it up if you need. Under the "what you can and cant do section". No.2 concerns:

"Vulnerable groups, shielding, 70 year olds and over, and care homes."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It's not that complicated

Neither is understanding how Dom broke the rules but you seem to be struggling with that.

Given that if you or someone in the household has Covid-19, you self isolate.

He did not do this. He drove from London to Durham.

He said it was a childcare issue, despite no additional childcare support being provided by his family. He also has family and friends in London. If there was no one available in London he could have accessed support through the local authority (as stated by deputy CMO Harris), which he did not.

Not to mention the bull**** article in The Spectator by his wife which makes no reference to not being able to care for their child or having travelled to Durham. There are also reports that he was spotted in Durham on other occasions.

As the closest advisor to the prime minister, are you saying you still can't see what he did wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

AllForIt wrote: »

Any questions?

Did he actually say that? That's not what the linked tweet says.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I never said his parents were at risk, I'm pointing out that your link clearly states that if you have symptoms then you stay at home. It does not say you can leave and travel to see your parents and it clearly states stay away from people from.other households. He clearly broke those two rules.

you may not have , but my post in reply to others was aimed at them

not according to deputy medical doctor woman.

who said , if you are sick and you need to leave your kids with family to do so.
    of course i'm paraphrasing in case you think she said those words exactly...you'd never know around here

see above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So why Quote me?

Don't care what she said, In your own link that used as proof it clearly states if you are showing symptoms you do not leave your house.
    who said , if you are sick and you need to leave your kids with family to do so.
    of course i'm paraphrasing in case you think she said those words exactly...you'd never know around here

And when did she say this?

see above

From the same NHS link on self-isolation I posted above

Capture.jpg

see above

The only relevant line, that shouldn't need any additional explanation or interpretation for anyone. Even the 4 year old would be able to understand this line:

If you or anyone in your household has symptoms then do not leave home for any reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

Cummings statement live on Sky news at 4pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

swampgas wrote: »
    When DC appears to be unreachable by legal and normal means, of course people are going to shout at him in the street. It's the only means left to them by a corrupt PM and corrupt political system.

Sorry, but this I don't agree with. I have little time for the man, but harassing him outside his own home, where his kids live is crossing the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

devnull wrote: »
    He's going to plead the perfect father argument, use the autistic and uncle death as an excuse and probably call out the media and invoke Brexit as a reason.

This whole thing is ridiculous and this shows that the Government have completely lost the plot and are the most out of touch I've ever seen. The lengths they go to defend him must mean he has something big on them.

Right now a friend of mine who is a teacher, who has lost a colleague and a friend to the virus, is looking after her disabled mother who is a staunch Brexiteer and her mother is constantly chipping away at her saying she is a disgrace for not going back to school and should be ashamed of herself for trying to block Brexit and being part of the mainstream media campaign.

There are other families which are like this I am sure. The tension between people during this virus is becoming really bad and is going to result in a mental health epidemic that is going to be huge and the Government are pretty much adding fuel to the fire constantly. People cannot get a break from this situation and my friend feels that she herself will have a breakdown soon.

As someone who has been in the UK since just before lockdown, honestly I'm starting to tire of this whole situation and it would be nice to have a few days break from the current situation. The whole divisive Brexit debate and everything that has happened since has caused so much tension, and barely a few weeks later the Coronavirus situation started.

It is not the Tories fault that coronavirus came to the UK, but the way that they have handled it and the way they have played people off one another and have showed much more care for each other rather than that of the physical and mental health people they claim to represent is an absolute disgrace. They simply do not care about anyone other than themselves.

Honestly, I appeal to any Irish person is living in the UK and has a viable route out of the country, get out as soon as you can. The ship is not only sinking, but they're putting new holes in it every day to make it sink quicker. The UK has many dark days ahead and anyone who is still of working age should get out for a better future.

Those of us from afar in Ireland can think this is terrible, but imagine being an average person living there all their life with no way out of it who are horrified by it, it's terrible. I've seen people who have never got involved in politics be very angered by this and I've seen the most mild people lose their temper over it.

This is pretty hysterical. You make it sound like Nazi Germany in the 1930s.

maebee wrote: »

To happen in the rose garden ofno.10 too, which allows them to control the number of media there rather than doing it outside the front door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yeah, I've no time for the man either but this is snowballing into something nastier and unnecessary.

My issue is still with zero acknowledgement by himself or the government of breaking the rules or at the very least going against the spirit of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

To happen in the rose garden ofno.10 too, which allows them to control the number of media there rather than doing it outside the front door

CLJXWpsR2gAPb7_bkMO4NFvH6jozUik8yJB3KJwEv7Lxt-r_-jDVykUtzJvTQM4v2jj8pocp5dhRJRDG6uQehujlBzvkyHm5nQZKbrGtpBrkfmtjY7HQht6moVD1V_dv2lZwSJqHQUyjghsWXh-wt_9CiLo0YR9bg7Q

I'd love to know what the predicted outcome they are expecting from this.

bilston wrote: »
    Sorry, but this I don't agree with. I have little time for the man, but harassing him outside his own home, where his kids live is crossing the line.

Wait til they get a load of the guillotine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presumably much more important than the number of the media in attendance , is which particular members are allowed in I'd imagine.

Be interesting to see the caliber of questions hes asked and whether they are pre selected questions or worse, fed to the media to ask. though we'll probably never know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

maebee wrote: »

Well this can ONLY go well.

People are rightfully angry, he has only himself to blame for the reaction hes getting. If he did the right thing and even just admitted fault then they wouldn't be seeing anything like these levels of anger and frustration.

Its the blanket refusal to admit anything wrong was done thats the biggest problem and now they are retroactively trying to adjust the rules and as a result belittling the suffering and pain many many people have gone through because they followed the rules

• Advertisement

This is pretty hysterical. You make it sound like Nazi Germany in the 1930s.

I think trumps america of the 2020s is a more apt comparison. Bit of putin thrown in as well given Dom is a well known Russophile.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Presumably much more important than the number of the media in attendance , is which particular members are allowed in I'd imagine.

Be interesting to see the caliber of questions hes asked and whether they are pre selected questions or worse, fed to the media to ask. though we'll probably never know that.

Almost certainly this is going to be stage managed question and answer session rather than a real one.

Expect that certain outlets like Sky, Guardian and Mirror to miss out again.

actually, I think his neighbours on the street have every right to express their view of what he has done

He is going to get asked if he stopped for petrol or coffee on any of his four 260 mile journeys. If he says he did then the media will dig out the CCTV to verify it, if he says he didnt but he really did the CCTV will surface anyway.

Also seems an unnecessary public gathering in a confined space.and you're probably less likely to be hostile in such place as you are inside rather than outside the properties grounds.

Has to be all about control and optics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Rumours circulating that Cummings is going to announce he's sacking the prime minister.
    He'll announce a new prime minister in due course.

The bots have just started parroting stuff about autism non stop. That's a big hint that it's going to feature.

Showing 60k tweets in the last while on it on twitter dwarfing anything else that is trending.

So wrong to weaponise it.

The bots have just started parroting stuff about autism non stop. That's a big hint that it's going to feature.

Showing 60k tweets in the last while on it on twitter dwarfing anything else that is trending.

So wrong to weaponise it.

Oooof wrong way to play this cus it will give the antivaxxers ammo and a new platform the oppose to covid vaccines

From memory the rose garden behind no.10 is pretty small as gardens go, its about 20 or 25 metres in length. With 2m social distancing that means each journalist needs 16 square metres of space around them meaning there will be sod all there.

• Advertisement

From memory the rose garden behind no.10 is pretty small as gardens go, its about 20 or 25 metres in length. With 2m social distancing that means each journalist needs 16 square metres of space around them meaning there will be sod all there.
    It will be cherrypicked journos that's for sure.

Laura K and a few other sycophants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah please let Beth Rigby sink her teeth into him, no other juorno needs to be present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

There are far more important lines being crossed right now by Johnson, the cabinet, and Dominic Cummings. He can hardly whinge "not fair!" about being shouted at when he's literally risking killing people with his actions.

It's a typical case of one rule for you (be polite and don't shout at me) and another rule for me (I'll break all the rules and conventions I like).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Laura K and a few other sycophants.
    I'm no fan of hers but I think that the piece she had today on the BBC website was hardly supportive:
    Rather than acknowledging a tiny iota of conflict or fraction of fault, instead Mr Johnson seemed to double down on what many people see as a double standard.
    But this time, the misdemeanour goes against the grain of what millions of people were putting up with in lockdown at Boris Johnson's own instruction. Many of them are understandably angry.
    Did the prime minister manage to shut this mess down today? Not even close.

The only person other than the PM that should be holding personal press conferences from No.10 is Larry the Cat, and possibly the guy who stands behind the door permanently waiting to open it for everyone upon his retirement.

WTF is an advisor doing getting to dress themselves in the trapping of the PM's office for holding a press conference about his personal misdemeanours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The whole Dominic Cummings furore boils down to Remainer revenge. BoJo can do no right in the eyes of the bbc and guardian.

It will be cherrypicked journos that's for sure.

Sky just showed what looked like journos walking in, about 8 or 10 by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The whole Dominic Cummings furore boils down to Remainer revenge. BoJo can do no right in the eyes of the bbc and guardian.

and the notoriously left wing remainer paper the mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Pinky and the brain up now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement