Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I await the statement of the real Prime Minister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The whole Dominic Cummings furore boils down to Remainer revenge. BoJo can do no right in the eyes of the bbc and guardian.

It really doesn't. But don't let reality get in the way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Water John wrote: »
    Ah please let Beth Rigby sink her teeth into him, no other juorno needs to be present.
    Beth is in there according to Adam Boulton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

and the notoriously left wing remainer paper the mail
    yes they've took agin him too

Boris post covid looks a broken man to me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Beth is in there according to Adam Boulton

Didn't sound.sure she would get r question though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bit late, wonder did he misjudged the traffic coming down from Durham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well at least ye got out from under the thumb of those powerful unelected Bureaucrats lads! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

devnull wrote: »
    Didn't sound.sure she would get r question though.
    If you were DC, would you let her ask a question?

It really doesn't. But don't let reality get in the way.

do you deny that DC is a hate figure who is seen as a driving force behind a hard brexit and a threat to the BBC's licence fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Jon Craig on sky there saying Cummings divides the tories - remainers hate him and brexiteers love him. Pretty poor analysis that i think, brexiteers hate cummings as much as remainers. Did he not listen to Steve Baker yesterday. I'd bet outside of Johnson and Gove, no-one would shed a tear to see the back of Dom.

• Advertisement

Jon Craig on sky there saying Cummings divides the tories - remainers hate him and brexiteers love him. Pretty poor analysis that i think, brexiteers hate cummings as much as remainers. Did he not listen to Steve Baker yesterday. I'd bet outside of Johnson and Gove, no-one would shed a tear to see the back of Dom.
    apparently he's a right arsehole. he's messed up here and his many enemies smell blood in the water but the actual offensive itself (breaking restrictions) is a storm in a tea cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Pologise dom.
    Apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

do you deny that DC is a hate figure who is seen as a driving force behind a hard brexit and a threat to the BBC's licence fee?
    That's moving the goalposts a lot. I douby anyone will deny he is a figure of hate amongst Remain voters.

But you literally said 'the whole Dominic Cummings furore boils down to Remainer revenge'.
    So how come arch-Brexiteer MPs are also on his case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nobody should even know who he is. He made himself a public figure.

If you were DC, would you let her ask a question?

If I were Rigby I'd give someone else the question! And coach them on the best type of follow up if they get the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wondering how this will go. He is not a polished politician who is experienced with the rough and tumble of a press conference. Plus he has a disdain and contempt for the media as well as him having a temper. If he gets angry and loses his cool this could be a car crash.

apparently he's a right arsehole. he's messed up here and his many enemies smell blood in the water but the actual offensive itself (breaking restrictions) is a storm in a tea cup.

I dunno, if i was a parent or sibling who wasnt able to attend a loved one's funeral or see them on their death bed because i followed the rules, i doubt I'd be able to see it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Explain Steve "Brexit Hardman" Baker, Deputy Chair of the ERG coming out publicly against cummings

Is he magically now a remainer as well?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's a much bigger storm in a much bigger teacup than the Scottish CMO or the professor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

Making people wait is really helping his case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

VinLieger wrote: »
    Explain Steve "Brexit Hardman" Baker, Deputy Chair of the ERG coming out publicly against cummings

Is he magically now a remainer as well?

Cummings is notorious for being a c*nt. He's widely despised across Westminster.

I'm no fan of Baker's but it's nice to see one of them speak sense from time to time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Plenty of Brexit types now see the danger that a rogue SPAD poses to a government and certain the PM of that administration. They fear the ship of state being holed and Brexit being damaged

Does that apply to all people who break the rules they themselves make?

Thousands of people in Britain have been fined for breaking those rules.

That's moving the goalposts a lot. I douby anyone will deny he is a figure of hate amongst Remain voters.

But you literally said 'the whole Dominic Cummings furore boils down to Remainer revenge'.
    So how come arch-Brexiteer MPs are also on his case?
    ok maybe not "whole" but i'd say a decent amount of the media impetus is indeed remainer revenge. thats how i read it anyway. i dont believe anyone really gives a f*ck where DC drives his car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Is he even doing one at all?? Or is he just taking the piss.

• Advertisement

Does that apply to all people who break the rules they themselves make?

Thousands of people in Britain have been fined for breaking those rules.
    So let him be fined

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is the delay just so that he can avoid questions as the main daily press conference is due at 5pm and he can't clash with that?

Predicting a swift statement and exit stage right. No questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From memory the rose garden behind no.10 is pretty small as gardens go, its about 20 or 25 metres in length. With 2m social distancing that means each journalist needs 16 square metres of space around them meaning there will be sod all there.

4qm. A metre in front and behind, a metre to either side. 2m x 2m. Next person has the same so you end up with 2m spacing.

So let him be fined

But they didn't fine him, they said he did nothing wrong and now the incompetent AG has completely clouded the whole thing by basically saying its okay to break the rules if your doing it for your family meaning god knows how many previously issued fines can be appealed

ok maybe not "whole" but i'd say a decent amount of the media impetus is indeed remainer revenge. thats how i read it anyway. i dont believe anyone really gives a f*ck where DC drives his car.

I'd accept a bit of payback involved, Cummings has treated both mirror and guardian journalists abysmally since he got his power. But immaterial really, it's a story of national interest and they served their duty in reporting it rigorously. This is one of the most powerful figures shaping government policy, they had a right to tell the story.

• Advertisement

at a time of mass unemployment and spiralling nation debt, i just think the UK has bigger fish to fry. its a sideshow and not a very interesting one.

So let him be fined

Yeah, he got away without a fine too......

Do you see no issue with the people that make the rules being above them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I can imagine that behind the scenes its like an episode of The Thick of It

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

VinLieger wrote: »
    What a sad little strawman you've constructed

Did he actually say that? That's not what the linked tweet says.

https://twitter.com/cristo_radio/status/1264927115746717698

https://twitter.com/queenchristina_/status/1264936745700900866

More people pleased about this unexpected briefing. Of course they have no objection to it whatsoever. More than welcome it I'm sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Here we go.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This Cummings presser is the most bizarre thing I've seen for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That noise in the background is chronic.

What has that got to do with him breaking the rules that he was part of implementing?

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/cristo_radio/status/1264927115746717698

https://twitter.com/queenchristina_/status/1264936745700900866

More people pleased about this unexpected briefing. Of course they have no objection to it whatsoever. More than welcome it I'm sure.

But thats not what James o brien said which is what your originally claimed.

Going off to desperately search twitter to find examples that were tweeted over an hour after your original post you falsely claiming its what james o brien wanted is quite pathetic

Panthro wrote: »
    That noise in the background is chronic.

Is it a rogue vuvuzela?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Go on Dominic play your little violin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is like the tall tales of Billy Bunter

Is it a rogue vuvuzela?

its kind of proving his point about his being a target for unpleasantness

Seems worrying that the Prime Ministers closest aid cant have a member of the police outisde his door if hes worried about people on twitter that dont like him.............

at a time of mass unemployment and spiralling nation debt, i just think the UK has bigger fish to fry. its a sideshow and not a very interesting one.

And yet you keep posting about it.

Shame that Dominic and Boris have decided to create this sideshow I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He is doubling down on the advice that few were aware of that if you had a small child you could defy the lockdown rules and guidance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Have to give them their dues, some great scriptwriters here.

But a lot of what he says doesn't add up and he still seems to think that if he has the problems it's okay for him to act a certain way despite the fact that others were told not to

its kind of proving his point about his being a target for unpleasantness

He's a professional sh*t stirrer. I have no sympathy for him. He's said that it's no big deal if a few pensioners die from Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭maebee

He's painful to listen to. Too much explaining from him.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Have to give them their dues, some great scriptwriters here.

But a lot of what he says doesn't add up and he still seems to think that if he has the problems it's okay for him to act a certain way despite the fact that others were told not to

The statement is really irrelevant. The point is to humanise him I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement