Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Aegir wrote: »
    The fact that there is a thread dedicated to the UK response says it all to be honest.
    Not sure what you mean by that comment, tbh.

The UK are our nearest neighbours, either across the Irish sea or over the border. I consider this thread to be very relevant for that reason.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

The UK are our nearest neighbours, either across the Irish sea or over the border. I consider this thread to be very relevant for that reason.

It is relevant in that it gives the usual suspects the opportunity to point the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The fact that there is a thread dedicated to the UK response says it all to be honest.

There is a place called Northern Ireland. You may have heard of it. It takes up much of the Northern portion of the island of Ireland.

UK rules are in force in Northern Ireland. Therefore, if they make a mess of things up there and they are all infected, it affects the rest of the island too.

Think of it this way. If you were currently in a house share and you are trying to keep yourself isolated and clean and one housemate is going and hanging around with all their mates down the lock in and then coming home and coughing and sneezing everywhere and spitting on the floor...ya might be entitled to have an opinion on that.

If ya don't like it here, I'm sure there are plenty of UKIP or BNP or similar forums where you might find more amenable posts.

If ya don't like it here, I'm sure there are plenty of UKIP or BNP or similar forums where you might find more amenable posts.

Jesus, talk about irony

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

We have enforced movement restrictions in Ireland?

This may come as news to you: Boris Johnson does not decide Ireland's strategy. Why is it that you constantly feel the need to reference Ireland when defending Johnson's mishandling of the situation in the UK?

This may also come as news to you:
    Boris Johnson's slow response to the country's coronavirus outbreak could cause up to 70,000 more deaths more than if more dramatic action had been quickly adopted, according to a new scientific study [carried out by] University College London, Cambridge University, and Health Data Research UK
    Original FT publication (paywalled)
    Secondary report (free)

And for good measure, a step-by-step explanation of when and how Johnson made so many wrong decisions at the wrong time:
    Britain had a head start on Covid-19, but our leaders squandered it

So that makes a total of three (or is it four) studies and analyses towards which I and others have pointed you since you asked for "evidence" that Johnson's strategy was deeply flawed. In return, to prove that he's been making sound, well-founded decisions, you've produced a grand total of ... nothing (except some weirdly directed sideswipes at Ireland). Any chance you can give us some statistically reliable illustrations of how well the UK has done up to now in changing the course of the infection before Johnson takes to the podium and admits defeat (again) this evening?

• Advertisement

This may come as news to you: Boris Johnson does not decide Ireland's strategy. Why is it that you constantly feel the need to reference Ireland when defending Johnson's mishandling of the situation in the UK?

This may also come as news to you:
    Original FT publication (paywalled)
    Secondary report (free)

And for good measure, a step-by-step explanation of when and how Johnson made so many wrong decisions at the wrong time:
    Britain had a head start on Covid-19, but our leaders squandered it

So that makes a total of three (or is it four) studies and analyses towards which I and others have pointed you since you asked for "evidence" that Johnson's strategy was deeply flawed. In return, to prove that he's been making sound, well-founded decisions, you've produced a grand total of ... nothing (except some weirdly directed sideswipes at Ireland). Any chance you can give us some statistically reliable illustrations of how well the UK has done up to now in changing the course of the infection before Johnson takes to the podium and admits defeat (again) this evening?

Nice rant, but could you tell us what enforces movement restrictions are in place in Ireland please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Esel wrote: »

Nothing wrong with an interest in your nearest neighbour as you say,I`m interested in Ireland the same way,although I don`t go out of my way to find negative things to say about the way they`re handling things or even distort statistics like a poster did last week by omitting Italy`s statistics as it did`nt fit in with the b*llox he was posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with an interest in your nearest neighbour as you say
    As well as the Northern Ireland aspect, take something as simple as the Cheltenham races to see why we have an interest in what goes on "over there".

Completely crazy decision not to call it off - and equally crazy for morons from here to attend it. We haven't seen the "Cheltenham effect" play out yet - but the coming week will tell the unfortunate tale.

Dublin extremely quiet, like a Sunday morning in the middle of summer.
    Except for the builders, lots of them still building, most of them northerners. Place is full of them up & down The M1 for the last few weeks with no restrictions.
    Any good we have done here this last week or ten days, is completely eroded by the free movement of people from a place with no restrictions. We should have restricted the movement of people over the border weeks ago. It may all be too late now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Lockdown now UK

Comprehensive

• Advertisement

Quelle surprise: Johnson copies-and-pastes France's control measures (with added Teutonic touches). So the British aren't that exceptional after all, and Johnson wasted a week for no good reason.

Quelle surprise N°2: Aegir's record is stuck on "whataboutIreland" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Full lockdown for 3 weeks. Police enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So now they're going to do millions of tests. Better late than never eh?

The BBC having a bit of a mare. Back on track now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Where's the herd immunity rhetoric now BoJo?

Two weeks too late.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cummings obviously used Leo's speech as a template for Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cmac2009

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Full lockdown for 3 weeks. Police enforced.

He gasped in shock when a reporter asked about using the police last night, yet today it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Any word on when/if Airports will shut?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Quelle surprise: Johnson copies-and-pastes France's control measures (with added Teutonic touches). So the British aren't that exceptional after all, and Johnson wasted a week for no good reason.

Quelle surprise: CelticRambler is here to criticize BJ in whatever petty angle he can think off, even in this time of solidarity.

And besides, he has not copied Frances control measures but so focused are you to find an angle to criticize you weren't paying attention to what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ah but they'll say HMG is correct now. Whatever the current regime does. It may be contradictory every other day but they'll defend it. It's pointless to rationally argue with fanatics/believers.

What do you mean by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

RobMc59 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with an interest in your nearest neighbour as you say,I`m interested in Ireland the same way,although I don`t go out of my way to find negative things to say about the way they`re handling things or even distort statistics like a poster did last week by omitting Italy`s statistics as it did`nt fit in with the b*llox he was posting.

But the difference is that whatever measures we take here will not really have a significant impact on mainland UK, but due to NI the UK measures could have a massive impact here.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Quelle surprise: CelticRambler is here to criticize BJ in whatever petty angle he can think off, even in this time of solidarity.

And besides, he has not copied Frances control measures but so focused are you to find an angle to criticize you weren't paying attention to what he said.

Solidarity me hole.

When everyone else was pleading with him to take it seriously and put some controls in place he dithered and faffed around.

He has put us, his neighbours, at greater risk than necessary.

McGiver wrote: »
    Ah but they'll say HMG is correct now. Whatever the current regime does. It may be contradictory every other day but they'll defend it. It's pointless to rationally argue with fanatics/believers.

six days ago I posted this:
    If you read what the government has been saying, it isn’t about “if” it is when. It is all about timing.

Ireland and the U.K. will both end up on some form of lock down, but doing it now would be counterproductive as a lockdown can only work, or is more effective, for a finite period.

This is why France is only going in to lockdown now and not a week ago. It will happen here and it will happen in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I posted last night that the bill would pass today and lockdown would be announced and I was laughed at :D

Ah right.

So 335 deaths was the magic number. Obviously Johnson is making the right call at the exact time.

Add in those who will die in the course of the inevitable lag of of the next couple of weeks.

I hope that those deaths were worth your few extra days of being able to go to the pub :(

RobMc59 wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?

He's copied Germany's ban on gatherings of more than two people out-of-doors.

so you still can't tell me what the enforced movement measures are in place in Ireland?

would you like me to help you? there are none.

SO I presume you will now be ranting and raving about Ireland being the maverick and not doing what every body else in europe is doing?

nah, didn't think so :rolleyes:

Solidarity me hole.

When everyone else was pleading with him to take it seriously and put some controls in place he dithered and faffed around.

He has put us, his neighbours, at greater risk than necessary.

The thread title is the UK response to covid-19.If you don`t like British people posting positive news then in your own words,"ya know what ya can do"!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

He's done what needs to be done, but possibly too late - only time will tell.

It genuinely does look that last weeks stalling and mixed messages will come back to haunt the UK though - after a week of watching all neighboring countries in Europe close up and enact varying degrees of lockdown, the UK has gone from 'be a bit careful, something bad looks the be coming' and 'you should probably not go to matches and pubs, but schools are still open' to suddenly on Friday evening Pubs are closed and now by Monday - everyone by law stay the f home, really genuinely this is serious!!!!

And tbf to Ireland - as soon as the schools were closed suddenly 11 days ago a lot of people copped it quickly what was coming, the shaming of Temple Bar within a few days also caused another big switch in behaviour, and Leo's clear announcement on Paddy's Day of how bad things could be mean we've over a week's headstart in reacting to this.

I work in public transport and can see in Dublin it's a ghost town already, with minimal footfall around. People have listened and acted (yes you'll still get isolated muppets usually shown on twitter as if this is our norm and untrustworthyness but by far more have acted appropriately) - and we still have another level or 2 of 'lockdown' that could be enacted in response to any spike. So fair play Ireland, keep it up.

• Advertisement

So where's your proof that these measures being brought in from tomorrow are more effective than if the same measures had been brought in six days ago.

Ah, I see. Like theological, you don't have any. Just blind faith in the Papal Infallibility of Boris. Prove me wrong: give us a link to a study that shows this is the right measure at the right time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement