Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

We will suffer yet again because of Borris’s Response. First he wouldn’t close schools etc in the North, which allowed further spread of the virus. Now the Uk is in lockdown. There has been a mass Exodus of Northern Irish south to their holiday homes, carrying the virus. #closetheborder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Is it true that there are still flights arriving in the UK from Iran, Spain, Italy and China?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

BoatMad wrote: »
    We are in effective lockdown

Tell that to all the people who were out and about enjoying themselves at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

We are in effective lockdown

We are in our hoops. Have you seen the photos from any beach or chipper yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

They were extremely late to the party, for once I'm actually very surprised as we did close up much earlier but the letting flights and travel as normal wasn't a good idea and distance rules were too late also.

I agree with you on the flights and travel, but we can only now deal with our own situation here.

China will have alot to answer for if the world gets a grip on this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

BellaBella wrote: »
    Tell that to all the people who were out and about enjoying themselves at the weekend.

I was on the four beaches in Wexford in the last 4 days , good social distancing in the main , I didn’t see any major issues , yes a few were not complying , but the majority were doing a reasonable job

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Don’t allow UK reg vehicles in. China should pay billions to rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

They're ranked #10 for confirmed cases (likely not truely accurate), worth checking back in a week or two, or three.
    Due to sheer population density whatever they do might will be factored by +/- x10, so the correct choices are upmost.

ULe2YtR.png

One stange thing with the uks response, is the royal folks always chipping in their 'solidarity' messages.
    Fleeing to a big 100 room house, with own servants & doctors in the countryside is hardly assistive, the opposite.

The big map shows Africa will be in for a very tough time next, they are behind others on the timeline.

I agree with you on the flights and travel, but we can only now deal with our own situation here.

China will have alot to answer for if the world gets a grip on this virus.

Indeed , they promised to deal with the “ wet “ markets after SARS bu5 did nothing

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I was on the four beaches in Wexford in the last 4 days , good social distancing in the main , I didn’t see any major issues , yes a few were not complying , but the majority were doing a reasonable job
    I was curious about that. It's hard to tell from photos but you're saying people were mostly separated out by 2m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wish we could get a bit of black and white clarification.

I cross the border for work daily.

If I'm stopped now by cops in NI, who decides if my work is essential or not? I work for a multi national and if they are open they will expect me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He was clear that people could go out for exercise on their own or with family members as long as they practice social distancing from anyone they were not living in the same house with. This kind of clarity is missing here.

fawlty682 wrote: »

339 Km of border with 100s of minor roads can’t be done

The UK rules are open to abuse too, and have no doubt they will be.

You're allowed to go exercising once per day? Who going to count it? Sure if a cop asks you, it's your 1st time out.

mariaalice wrote: »
    He was clear that people could go out for exercise on their own or with family members as long as they practice social distancing from anyone they were not living in the same house with. This kind of clarity is missing here.

A similar message has been stated here repeatedly by health professionals and the CMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

That's not the point. There were plenty of photographs of people thronging to beaches, queueing for ice creams, drinking in groups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A similar message has been stated here repeatedly by health professionals and the CMO

I know but not clearly enough.

Close most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

. There has been a mass Exodus of Northern Irish south to their holiday homes, carrying the virus. #closetheborder.

any evidence of this, or is this just speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

fawlty682 wrote: »

Try TRILLIONS!!

US were trying to pass a bill today to provide 1.8 TRILLION dollars in Corona virus aid. Unfortunately it didnt pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 pod49

Are off-licenses closed in the South? Just wondering whether they'll be considered "essential food" shop able to remain open up north.

BellaBella wrote: »
    That's not the point. There were plenty of photographs of people thronging to beaches, queueing for ice creams, drinking in groups etc.

If you want to find examples, you will. Even if it's only a tiny minority of idiots the press are going to show them.

UK was just the same. It wasn't an Irish only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

Close most of them.

ok.

How?

ixoy wrote: »
    I was curious about that. It's hard to tell from photos but you're saying people were mostly separated out by 2m?

Yes indeed , and people with kids were keeping them away from more elderly , like me.

I thought it was working quite well , I can also except this was the best weather in weeks and people needed a break. I was on various parts of curracloe beach , cahore, oldbawn , Morriscastle, duncannon , distances were largely being observed , families picniced away from each other , even in the car parks people were careful to stay clear of each other etc.

I didn’t see any general problem , yes a few “ young “ people were clearly not following the rules especially teenage couples etc, but they were staying away from others

daheff wrote: »

Some have definitely done it.
    To say a mass exodus might be pushing it a bit.

Would you rather stay in Belfast with decent hospitals or come south to Donegal for example where you have no access to any hospital anywhere nearby?

Seems like strange move.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

daheff wrote: »

I’ve seen it with my own eyes. I live in a popular holiday town in Donegal. Most houses are owned by northern Irish. Every single one is full.

Edit. I love the Northern Irish and have nothing against them. But this is not a holiday.

ok.

How?

Big stones? Big holes? Wall?

Close most of them.

People living there need to get to work , shop, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It can easily be done with a similar lockdown here

• Advertisement

I’ve seen it with my own eyes. I live in a popular holiday town in Donegal. Most houses are owned by northern Irish. Every single one is full.

We have stacks of holiday homes around us , most remain empty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement