Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

I love how people keep bringing up Cheltenham.

Thousands of irish went there and returned home,

Irish owners, trainers, jockeys went there, they returned home and are still attending race meetings.

Cheltenham surge hasn't even hit the UK or Ireland yet.

Yes, but it’s all the Brits fault for making them go.

Forced at gun point I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

I’ve seen it with my own eyes. I live in a popular holiday town in Donegal. Most houses are owned by northern Irish. Every single one is full.

Edit. I love the Northern Irish and have nothing against them. But this is not a holiday.

and none of these people have jobs to go to? Or will they commute everyday from Donegal to their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

BoatMad wrote: »
    We have stacks of holiday homes around us , most remain empty

I can only speak for my own town. But it is thronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Fair play to Boris. Showing true leadership since the beginning of this crisis. Not like us, allowing the Italian rugby fans in a few weeks ago was a disgrace & people have paid for it with their lives.

Delusion is a particularly blinding illness

daheff wrote: »
    and none of these people have jobs to go to? Or will they commute everyday from Donegal to their job.

Who commutes from a holiday home?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

bubblypop wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the UKs government decisions directly impact the Republic of Ireland.
    Everyday there are hundreds & hundreds of northern Irish people coming down south to work. I guarantee that won't stop now because of UK knockdowns. They should have restricted movement weeks ago, like we did.
    But we should have shut down that border. We should now.

Sorry, how long ago? I make it 10 days which is not what would normally be referred to as weeks ago.

daheff wrote: »

Well they mustn’t have, as they are here constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pod49 wrote: »
    Are off-licenses closed in the South? Just wondering whether they'll be considered "essential food" shop able to remain open up north.

Still open but see some with less hours open. Shops selling also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Assuming anybody who was in a holiday home was there for the weekend only?

Isn't this the time of the year a lot of them are opening up again for business? Owners might have been coming to switch water back on, spring clean in the hope they can visit it?

When we have a lockdown I have no doubt these caravan parks will be told to close.

Loads of people do in the summer

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Assuming anybody who was in a holiday home was there for the weekend only?

Isn't this the time of the year a lot of them are opening up again for business? Owners might have been coming to switch water back on, spring clean in the hope they can visit it?

When we have a lockdown I have no doubt these caravan parks will be told to close.

A few have closed around me , bu5 most are open , not many people in them though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Why is this our main news headline and top story when two of our own died and we have 219 new cases? RTE are a disgrace.

Ireland has 1k+ virus cases and 4 deaths, British stastics are 335 death for about 5.5k cases. This shows Britain's lassiz faire attitude to this from the start. Ireland has less than 1/10th of the population of the UK. Over the next 2-3 weeks we will all pay a price because of this virus. But some countries will pay a higher price

Slava Ukrainii

Ireland has 1k+ virus cases and 4 deaths, British stastics are 335 death for about 5.5k cases. This shows Britain's lassiz faire attitude to this from the start. Ireland has less than 1/10th of the population of the UK. Over the next 2-3 weeks we will all pay a price because of this virus. But some countries will pay a higher price

Agree , the uk went down a crazy “ herd immunity “ route till the numbers began to rocket , then suddenly it’s all action , bit late Boris , Italy here u come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Big stones? Big holes? Wall?

Didn't work during the troubles won't work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A London lockdown during the summer is not gonna go well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Deaths both sides of the border are roughly equivalent. Although testing regimes are different, there's no evidence of more infection in the north. Closing the border will waste a ton of resources and achieve nothing except keep some internet warriors happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Shed sales will rocket

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Men's shed? Every house should have one in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

VinLieger wrote: »
    A London lockdown during the summer is not gonna go well

Boris said he will revisit tonights decision in three weeks time, depending on how thing are going!

As regard things not going well in London, I guess that's where the army 'might' play a roll?

It just shows that the UK is further along the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Water John wrote: »
    Men's shed? Every house should have one in the garden.

Every house will need one....with padlock

Deaths both sides of the border are roughly equivalent. Although testing regimes are different, there's no evidence of more infection in the north. Closing the border will waste a ton of resources and achieve nothing except keep some internet warriors happy.

Borris’s laxed response, no school closures etc, means that the virus has had more time to breed, asymptotically, in the Uk. I live in a border town, consisting of a very large number of holiday homes that in recent weeks are filled, all week long, not just weekends. I am not an internet warrior nor have I anything against the tourists. They have provided vital life and employment for my town. My point is, this is not a holiday. I have loved ones who are very high risk. It is not fair, that we here, have done our very best to curtail the spread, only for it to be brought in from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Don’t allow UK reg vehicles in. China should pay billions to rest of the world.

They will have a lot of blood on their hands when this is done. CCP covered it up for weeks and threatened to arrest the doctor, now dead, who tried to warn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Boris said he will revisit tonights decision in three weeks time, depending on how thing are going!

As regard things not going well in London, I guess that's where the army 'might' play a roll?

This is gonna go for longer than 3 weeks, Italy are just starting to see a fall off that fingers crossed keeps getting lower. The UK is on the exact same track as Italy was but they are at least a week late implementing this stuff vs Italy. One week late at the beginning could easily mean 2 or more weeks added to the end as the spike will take longer to get to and affect far more people.

loveall wrote: »
    Every house will need one....with padlock

I’ll be either locking the other half in or *quarantining* myself away from him and the kids by the end of the week lol

Of course there's no evidence of more infection in the north. They are not testing anyone, only people in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The uk is doing very few tests even when someone reports the symptoms.

Based on cases/deaths here, the uk probably has well in excess of 50,000 cases and probably close to 100,000.

What will be so sad is that many thousands of people will die in isolation and friends and family will have no chance to see them until they are in a sealed box.

And boris Johnson has to take some blame for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ivor Callely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That's because they are not testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That's because they are not testing

UK spent 2 weeks doing nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement