Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I wonder how seriously the loyal british subjects would take it if the british queen or a few members of her household get this........................might not be so tally-ho for Boris then!
    Since I like neither the royals nor Boris, I see no down-side on this eventuality.

Water John wrote: »
    Men's shed? Every house should have one in the garden.
    No garden. But I did have one built on my balcony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

PommieBast wrote: »
    No garden. But I did have one built on my balcony :D

That’s why I think lockdown would be so difficult, people need to be able to get out for their mental health. So many people have no access to gardens etc. it would drive me crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Aegir wrote:
    so we sadly have six deaths in Ireland, but no lockdown. Are those six deaths worth it?
    Per capita and considering the number of cases in both countries (it is more than double in Ireland) the mortality is 12 times lower in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have no idea of the number infected in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Aegir wrote:
    It just shows that the UK is further along the road.

No, it doesn't. High daily % increases in the UK show exactly the opposite.

• Advertisement

Still a good few places that can stay open. And plenty of flexibility for restaurants to do takeaways, and for food markets to operate. It seems a good comprise between locking down but still allowing some life to go on. Remains to be seen if further disobedience means that it has to go further

If the business isn’t listed, it can remain operating. Which includes construction related activity

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That’s why I think lockdown would be so difficult, people need to be able to get out for their mental health. So many people have no access to gardens etc. it would drive me crazy!
    I think the rule in France is that you can leave your house/apartment for exercise, so long as (a) you exercise alone, and (b) you don't go more than 500m from your home. So you can walk or run around the block, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Interesting chat with a m8 this morning of apartment over in Spain in lock down and cannot get out of the building with about 100 tenants and a dog.Poor dog is half dead as everybody wants to walk the dog just to get out for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

story all over the world suck it up time

Be proactive and do something productive to protect our loved ones. Or suck it up. Right. Good luck to you. Thank god for the ignore list button. Wishing you peace in this time of uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Not really a lockdown in UK.

A very different lockdown to Italy and Spain. In Spain all businesses are closed.

Millions of workers in UK will still go to work tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So Mike Ashley thinks Sports Direct is an essential service and has ordered staff that they've to open stores. I smell a boycott coming.

The leader of Basildon council has called him the "lowest of the low" in a tweet and told staff in the borough not to go in and the council would cover wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They went from herd immunity to total lockdown (that they have no hope of enforcing) in less than 3 days. They are totally bi polar.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

Seeing pictures from the London Underground this morning it's not much of a lock down. They have been too loose with their definitions on who should be working. Practically everyone bar the businesses the gov there have closed such as pubs, clubs, some shops etc. Still going to operate as normal. Saw 1 person say they can get up, leave their apartment, hop on the packed tube, go into work in their factory, call into ASDA on the way home. Go for a run. But the country is in LOCKDOWN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

They went from herd immunity to total lockdown (that they have no hope of enforcing) in less than 3 days. They are totally bi polar.

It's not a total lockdown, people can still go to work if they are not able to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

UK government commits to carrying out 25k test/day within 4 weeks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52007155

A lot of the testing so far has been by private clinics

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Short of closing public transport and closing all non essential businesses I don't know what else they could do. If they just put London into lockdown people will go to the country and spread virus there. It's a bit of a nightmare.

Anyway I think Ireland will have to implement stricter rules too. We are lucky that population density here is lower but both UK and Ireland could still end up in a bit of a mess.

UK government commits to carrying out 25k test/day within 4 weeks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52007155

A lot of the testing so far has been by private clinics

All that depends on the stock that countries have and how much they can get. A lot of European countries are being affected by manufacturing moving out of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

meeeeh wrote: »
    Short of closing public transport and closing all non essential businesses I don't know what else they could do. If they just put London into lockdown people will go to the country and spread virus there. It's a bit of a nightmare.

Anyway I think Ireland will have to implement stricter rules too. We are lucky that population density here is lower but both UK and Ireland could still end up in a bit of a mess.

UK is way behind us. Yes we need to refine our rules. Enforcement now is more important than rules. This is always the issue we often have with rules. Guards and Army on the street. Yobs misbehaving a couple of jabs of a Taser and a fine.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Shes from german stock,so the british people probably wouldnt care

The Queen Mother is descended from Brian Boru..

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I doubt that the British people care very much about that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

meeeeh wrote: »

You make a very good point that the population density in Ireland is lower which is probably another reason Ireland is bucking the general trend in regards to infection rates.
    Obviously,this is linked to Ireland's immediate proactive reaction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Your queen mother is no longer with you,your queen is though

Your queen mother is no longer with you,your queen is though
    If the Queen Mother was descended from Brian Boru, then so is the present Queen. Unless you know something startling that you're not telling us.

Discussions about the queen and “loyal subjects” yet apparently this is a sensible thread about how the UK will affect Ireland.

I think we all see the real reasons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If the Queen Mother was descended from Brian Boru, then so is the present Queen. Unless you know something startling that you're not telling us.

Ok i was wrong,the english queen has no german stock,i stand corrected.the original post was about the queen,not the queen mother,it was about how the british people would feel if she contracted civid 19

Ok i was wrong,the english queen has no german stock,i stand corrected
    You should consider the possiblity that she may have more than one ancestor; most people do.

How is this remotely relevant to anything that matters?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ok i was wrong,the english queen has no german stock,i stand corrected

You do know about the birds and the bees don't you and that everyone has two biological parents?

You make a very good point that the population density in Ireland is lower which is probably another reason Ireland is bucking the general trend in regards to infection rates.
    Obviously,this is linked to Ireland's immediate proactive reaction too.

I'm not sure we are. There is enough of a backlog in testing it's hard to know. Plus it's early enough in the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

At least UK has confirmed that kids can travel between separated parents despite the lockdown (to avoid irrevocable damage to kids, mental health issues for all involved, increased crime levels e.g. all the UK knife crime, that comes from kids being deprived of a loving parent).

Any official word here yet? My solicitor said lots of parents (mothers typically, are using it as an excuse for "parental alienation"(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3YdldNXZnQ&t=52s), which will have long-lasting consequences for the children and society).

Sadly my wife is using the coronavirus as her latest excuse to break the Court Order (yet again) and deprive a beautiful 3 year old boy of his loving father. What can be done!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

conor05 wrote: »
    Not really a lockdown in UK.

A very different lockdown to Italy and Spain. In Spain all businesses are closed.

Millions of workers in UK will still go to work tomorrow

Meeting today, all nine essential construction sites to close in the UK.

Also not "all" businesses are closed in Spain/Italy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement