Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,436 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Live_In_UK wrote: »
    And two weeks ago the HSE were telling Irish people that there was a low risk of infection. I had to spend a lot of time on the phone convincing my parents that they were talking utter bs.

But then again that doesn't fit the UK bad, Ireland good narrative.

Ok. so lets make it simple. How would you rank or compare the overall reaction of the UK authorities/decision-makers to the reaction of Ireland's

1) UK better
    2) Equal
    3) UK worse

I am choosing "3" myself. No question.

Ok. so lets make it simple. How would you rank or compare the overall reaction of the UK authorities/decision-makers to the reaction of Ireland's

1) UK better
    2) Equal
    3) UK worse

The UK has done what is best for the UK, Ireland has done what is best for Ireland.

This isn’t a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Aegir wrote: »
    The UK has done what is best for the UK, Ireland has done what is best for Ireland.

Hang on there Aegir!-donald is a virologist from cork!!

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Hang on there Aegir!-donald is a virologist from cork!!

And lives under a bridge....,,

Aegir wrote: »

Grand. Says one of the crowd who, when it is pointed out that the Brits are making a mess of everything, potentially putting Ireland in needless extra danger, likes to interject "yeah yeah, but whaddabout 6 people who died in Ireland"

Anyway, 470-odd less Brits on the planet today who might have otherwise been here if there was no corona. Some care, some don't. That's a personal choice. I think it's sad they're dead, but other's are entitled to think it was a price worth paying for a few more days of being able to go to the pub.

Maybe there'll be parties in the streets if the bould Charlie succumbs. Who knows? They'll just have to have a load of small parties rather than a few big parties due to social distancing.

Edit: There ya go. Short memory lad https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112928243&postcount=542. Not even 2 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I listened to a podcast from Slovenia. They don't have the same baggage in relation to UK as Ireland. UK's behaviour is considered completely inadequate and basically compared to Trump's. Khan's actions were criticized too not just Johnson's.

timhenn wrote: »
    Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. :D

Just think,she could be Queen of Ireland..;)
    https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/queen-elizabeth-brian-boru

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Just think,she could be Queen of Ireland..;)
    https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/queen-elizabeth-brian-boru

:D Happily, monarchy was confined to the dustbin centuries ago. Otherwise, we could have had a German family living it up at our expense and we'd still have to worship them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Live_In_UK

1) UK better
    2) Equal
    3) UK worse

Wow, colour me shocked.

I'm not sure why you've this as a competition. Even Nicola S, put aside her... politics and rowed in behind what the UK government did, having access to the COBRA meetings and expert advice.

I'm living in the UK, I don't recognise the description of what's supposedly happening here that seems to have taken hold in the Irish online scene. But hey, who cares.

Wow, colour me shocked.

I'm not sure why you've this as a competition. Even Nicola S, put aside her... politics and rowed in behind what the UK government did, having access to the COBRA meetings and expert advice.

I'm living in the UK, I don't recognise the description of what's supposedly happening here that seems to have taken hold in the Irish online scene. But hey, who cares.

Bit strange that you'd come on here in defense of the British approach, using your phone call to convince your parents in Ireland a while back to try to justify that the British approach was correct and then collapse when your logic is simply thrown back at you. If you want to compare, then compare. If you don't then don't start the whataboutery

The absence of a response to the question tells us what your answer is

• Advertisement

Bit strange that you'd come on here in defense of the British approach, using your phone call to convince your parents in Ireland on 16th March to try to justify that the British approach was correct and then collapse when your logic is simply thrown back at you. If you want to compare, then compare. If you don't then don't start the whataboutery

What are you talking about lad. I phoned my parents to tell them to disregard the HSE's nonsense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well obviously you do!

Wow, colour me shocked.

People aren't dying in huge numbers? The actions of the british government have not put a huge number of people in greater danger than was necessary?

A part of our country is still in the uk, Boris and co have put us all and our loved ones under greater risk of getting sick or dying.

Well obviously you do!

My work machine is down, I'm awaiting an IT solution and thought I'd inject something into boards rather than being passive. Sorry to have said anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

meeeeh wrote: »
    In my opinion two countries made two very obvious mistakes. Spain not banning the 8th of March demonstrations and UK not banning sporting events earlier. Spain is probably paying the price for that, hopefully UK won't.
    Loads of countries made mistakes or bad choices.

China in trying to hush it up in the first place.

Italy in not cancelling Serie A matches and not curtailing their lucrative skiing season. Austria similar with the skiing season.

In fact skiing in Italy and Austria seems to have been responsible for a significant part of the spread to other countries in Europe.

There's no doubt that the political response in the UK has been poor or indifferent - in fact to such an extent that organisations had to take it upon themselves to start curtailing events. The lucrative Cheltenham racing festival of course decided not to, and the government didn't force them to shut down either, even though we had decided to cancel our mass gathering on St. Patricks' day at the same time.

Of course, some people here have a simple narrative of "UK bad, Ireland good", but IMO it simply cannot be disputed that Ireland has behaved better than the UK has in this regard. Just one example - we cancelled a potentially lucrative international rugby match on February 26th, rather than risking having thousands of (Northern) Italians come to Dublin.

My work machine is down, I'm awaiting an IT solution and thought I'd inject something into boards rather than being passive. Sorry to have said anything

Some hard questions came in, this poster went scurrying off. Maybe it was Boris? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

If these work as said, they will be a game changer.

Thousands of 15-minute home tests for coronavirus will be delivered by Amazon to people self-isolating with symptoms or will go on sale on the high street within days, according to Public Health England (PHE), in a move that could restore many people’s lives to a semblance of pre-lockdown normality.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

bob mcbob wrote: »
    If these work as said, they will be a game changer.

Thousands of 15-minute home tests for coronavirus will be delivered by Amazon to people self-isolating with symptoms or will go on sale on the high street within days, according to Public Health England (PHE), in a move that could restore many people’s lives to a semblance of pre-lockdown normality.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

Would be incredibly useful to have quick and simple test available... but that is potentially the end of any effective lockdown anywhere if it does get distributed so easily to anyone that asks for one.

There will be people out and about again as they have had it and had a test (not meaning medical staff etc as they will be busy working), then the rest of the population watches from their windows as others start hanging out outside again, those stuck inside decide to screw that idea and either just give up on the staying at home idea or the idea of coronavirus parties kicks off so that people can deliberately catch it and then get on with their lives again... except they end up getting properly ill instead and infect their vulnerable neighbours in the process and we are back where we started again.

robinph wrote: »
    There will be people out and about again as they have had it and had a test ... then the rest of the population watches from their windows as others start hanging out outside again, those stuck inside decide to screw that idea and either just give up on the staying at home idea
    Agree with all of this, and the potential nightmare that might follow. "How come they're out?"

Has any government got a protocol for those who have recovered? Stay self-isolating even though there is no need to?

Britain has tested in excess of 97,000 now according to Professor Chris Whitty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Over 400,000 people in England have volunteered to support the NHS. That's a pretty extraordinary figure.

Not sure if we're allowed to do positive stories about the UK though...

97K tested and 8k cases.

serfboard wrote: »
    Agree with all of this, and the potential nightmare that might follow. "How come they're out?"

Has any government got a protocol for those who have recovered? Stay self-isolating even though there is no need to?

The reports of China ready to relax lockdown now is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

And what have they done to/with the individuals tested?

I don't know,he didn't say.
    btw,I hope you're ok,I saw the area you said you live on sky news,scary times for us all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Told them to stay at home like everyone else presumably, or tried to figure out what else is wrong with them that gave reason for them to be tested in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

we cancelled a potentially lucrative international rugby match on February 26th, rather than risking having thousands of (Northern) Italians come to Dublin.

Many of them still came!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

robinph wrote: »
    Would be incredibly useful to have quick and simple test available... but that is potentially the end of any effective lockdown anywhere if it does get distributed so easily to anyone that asks for one.

There will be people out and about again as they have had it and had a test (not meaning medical staff etc as they will be busy working), then the rest of the population watches from their windows as others start hanging out outside again, those stuck inside decide to screw that idea and either just give up on the staying at home idea or the idea of coronavirus parties kicks off so that people can deliberately catch it and then get on with their lives again... except they end up getting properly ill instead and infect their vulnerable neighbours in the process and we are back where we started again.

I agree. The British are a selfish lot. Many people are staying in right now because they're worried about their own health. I think that if people started to find out they'd had it and couldn't get it again, they'd start going out and doing what they wanted, undermining all of the isolation efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

97K tested and 8k cases.

Yet no update on the actual numbers in the last 24 hours...

Looks like the numbers of England for today have not been released yet for some reason. Would have expected this in the update from Johnson and his team.

So far...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

"187 new cases and 13 new deaths in the United Kingdom,150 new cases and 5 new deaths in Wales, 37 new cases and 2 new deaths in Northern Ireland and 6 new deaths in Scotland."

• Advertisement

I agree. The British are a selfish lot. Many people are staying in right now because they're worried about their own health. I think that if people started to find out they'd had it and couldn't get it again, they'd start going out and doing what they wanted, undermining all of the isolation efforts.

People are selfish, basically the exact same thing would happen anywhere else if once set were being locked up and another could go out and about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement