Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I agree. The British are a selfish lot. Many people are staying in right now because they're worried about their own health. I think that if people started to find out they'd had it and couldn't get it again, they'd start going out and doing what they wanted, undermining all of the isolation efforts.

What a load of nonsense. The British are a selfish lot?!They are no different to anyone else.

As I said above, over 400,000 Britons have volunteered to help the NHS...hardly selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

bilston wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense. The British are a selfish lot?!They are no different to anyone else.

As I said above, over 400,000 Britons have volunteered to help the NHS...hardly selfish

I've lived in several countries, am now in London, half my family is from England, and yes, I find them a selfish lot on the whole. Of course there are lots of good people, like anywhere, but the overall mentality is extremely individualistic and selfish. They're neither family and community oriented like the Spanish and Italians nor society focused like the Japanese. The way the poor, vulnerable and unemployed are treated highlights this pretty well.

robinph wrote: »
    People are selfish, basically the exact same thing would happen anywhere else if once set were being locked up and another could go out and about.

I disagree. The Japanese are so good at following directions, being hygienic and thinking of others that they have had incredibly few cases and deaths, especially considering they had a head start of about a month on us and have never even had a lockdown.

I don't think they have some special non-serious and non-contagious strain. This is just what happens when people are considerate and do what they're supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I disagree. The Japanese are so good at following directions, being hygienic and thinking of others that they have had incredibly few cases and deaths, especially considering they had a head start of about a month on us and have never even had a lockdown.

I don't think they have some special non-serious and non-contagious strain. This is just what happens when people are considerate and do what they're supposed to do.

There's idiots in all countries,only this evening, RTE news reported two people have been fined for spitting and coughing in the face of Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think that if people started to find out they'd had it and couldn't get it again, they'd start going out and doing what they wanted, undermining all of the isolation efforts.
    I don't think that's different to what will happen here, but time will definitely tell on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Over 400,000 people in England have volunteered to support the NHS. That's a pretty extraordinary figure.

Not sure if we're allowed to do positive stories about the UK though...

Well indeed, many people on here love nothing more than to keep having a dig at our British next door neighbours, all sixty five million of them?

Steering this little ship through this crisis is nothing by comparison to what the UK government has to deal with. I must say though, we're doing a great job in this crisis, but I'm not going to knock the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I agree. The British are a selfish lot. Many people are staying in right now because they're worried about their own health. I think that if people started to find out they'd had it and couldn't get it again, they'd start going out and doing what they wanted, undermining all of the isolation efforts.

400000 have volunteered to help in any way at all. 400000in one day. You can tell yourself that theyre selfish if it makes you feel better, but they’re not.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

serfboard wrote: »
    Loads of countries made mistakes or bad choices.

In fact skiing in Italy and Austria seems to have been responsible for a significant part of the spread to other countries in Europe.

More likely spread in the apre ski:D

On a more serious note, I think some resorts may turn out out have had a few super spreaders.There is some evidence emerging from Austrian resorts of bar staff continuing to work after they were symptomatic.

Well indeed, many people on here love nothing more than to keep having a dig at our British next door neighbours, all sixty five million of them?

Steering this little ship through this crisis is nothing by comparison to what the UK government has to deal with. Mind you, were doing a great job, but I'm not going to knock the British.

The Irish government acted much faster and much more decisively. I don't understand at all why the British waited until the horse had bolted before they shut the stable door. They had weeks to see what was going on in China, Italy and Spain...why did life go on as normal for so long? Concerts, Cheltenham and other huge gatherings went ahead, flights from every corner of the globe landed and now hundreds of people are dying as a result.

Now we're in isolation anyway, so why did it take so long? Why not take these measures 2-3 weeks earlier, before it had so much of a chance to spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

The Irish government acted much faster and much more decisively. I don't understand at all why the British waited until the horse had bolted before they shut the stable door. They had weeks to see what was going on in China, Italy and Spain...why did life go on as normal for so long? Concerts, Cheltenham and other huge gatherings went ahead, flights from every corner of the globe landed and now hundreds of people are dying as a result.

Now we're in isolation anyway, so why did it take so long? Why not take these measures 2-3 weeks earlier, before it had so much of a chance to spread?

That's not for anybody in this thread to answer. Let the opposition in Westminster ask that to people who can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't understand at all why the British waited until the horse had bolted before they shut the stable door. They had weeks to see what was going on in China, Italy and Spain...why did life go on as normal for so long? Concerts, Cheltenham and other huge gatherings went ahead, flights from every corner of the globe landed and now hundreds of people are dying as a result.

That was answered pretty well in the recent Sunday Times article. It's linked in earlier posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

splinter65 wrote: »
    400000 have volunteered to help in any way at all. 400000in one day. You can tell yourself that theyre selfish if it makes you feel better, but they’re not.

Of course thats admirable and fair play to all of them, including several MPs who have gone to work on frontline services. I dont think anyone ever doubted the existence of the "dunkirk" spirit, i think its also an illustration that times of crisis will often shine a light on the best of humanity as well as the worst.

Still, bottom line remains that getting out of crisis will depend on government action or inaction. Nothing can deflect from that core truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

And what have they done to/with the individuals tested?

Told them to stay at home like everyone else presumably, or tried to figure out what else is wrong with them that gave reason for them to be tested in the first place.
    This is why reporting/discussing/comparing the absolute number of tests carried out is pointless. Unless there is a clear "divide and conquer" strategy in place and enforced, then the vast majority of those tests - and 100% of the negative results - is irrelevant.
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    I don't know,he didn't say.
    Here also is a problem with the British approach: we are told (repeatedly) that it's "led by the science" - but no-one outside Johnson's entourage knows what that science is. The only thing we know is that it doesn't match any known, effective, fact-based, disease-control measures. And it doesn't even take account of normal (irrational) human behaviour - which has been largely responsible for the spread of the disease so quickly and so widely. The examples of this are not restricted to the British, not by a long way.

At the current time, apart from the Wuhan lock-down, the only other community that I've seen take real, effective action has been the druglords of the Brazilian favelas. The longer this epidemic continues, the more it's becoming evident that it is a disease of the rich, privileged West - those who had the means to travel far and wide, the means to get themselves home - or away - before various governments imposed movement restrictions, and those who took their asymptomatic contagion to places and events where other rich and privileged people could spread it even further afield.

btw,I hope you're ok,I saw the area you said you live on sky news,scary times for us all!
    Thank you for your concern. :) As it happens, the area where I live was the last départment in France to suffer/report any cases. I left my splendid isolation to come and work in the hot-zone :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

That means 66 million people have not volunteered in the uk! That's a pretty big ratio in favour of selfish v non-selfish people!

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Would be incredibly useful to have quick and simple test available... but that is potentially the end of any effective lockdown anywhere if it does get distributed so easily to anyone that asks for one.

There will be people out and about again as they have had it and had a test (not meaning medical staff etc as they will be busy working), then the rest of the population watches from their windows as others start hanging out outside again, those stuck inside decide to screw that idea and either just give up on the staying at home idea or the idea of coronavirus parties kicks off so that people can deliberately catch it and then get on with their lives again... except they end up getting properly ill instead and infect their vulnerable neighbours in the process and we are back where we started again.

Yes I agree with your view on isolation but from a medical perspective understanding how many people have had it and recovered in the wider population is critical to what happens next with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

timhenn wrote: »
    That means 66 million people have not volunteered in the uk! That's a pretty big ratio in favour of selfish v non-selfish people!

I always say there`s nothing like a good joke.
    And that was nothing like a good joke.;)

I always say there`s nothing like a good joke.
    And that`s nothing like a good joke.;)

All good jokes are based on truth!

All good jokes are based on truth!

Or simple bigotry.

Aegir wrote: »
    Or simple bigotry.

Explain how stating the 66 million people didn't volunteer is bigoted or withdraw your remark.

• Advertisement

Explain how stating the 66 million people didn't volunteer is bigoted or withdraw your remark.

Not questioning what you posted, but questioning your reasons for posting it.

From what I can se, that is a simple case of bigotry.

Yes those 12 million kids in the UK between 0 and 14 are just selfish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The vast majority of the population is either too old, too young, too vulnerable, already working for the NHS or already working for other core services.

Once you've taken all those out of the equation then you have a much smaller number who might possibly be able to volunteer

Aegir wrote: »
    Not questioning what you posted, but questioning your reasons for posting it.

From what I can se, that is a simple case of bigotry.

So it wasn't a bigoted remark, glad you've retracted that.

Now back up your allegation that I'm a bigot or withdraw that remark too.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Yes those 12 million kids in the UK between 0 and 14 are just selfish.

So 400,000 people is a tiny percentage, that's what you're saying?

The vast majority of the population is either too old, too young, too vulnerable, already working for the NHS or already working for other core services.

Once you've taken all those out of the equation then you have a much smaller number who might possibly be able to volunteer

Still a large number, point being that 400,000 people volunteering doesn't prove what the poster stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,436 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

400,000 have volunteered to help the NHS. It doesn't mention nationality

Probably a lot of the Poles and Latvians they wanted to Brexit out of the country

(I'm sure that there were a few "British" people too)

So 400,000 people is a tiny percentage, that's what you're saying?

No what I am saying that you are advancing simplistic numbers which bear little resemblance to the reality.

So now a question for you.

Why is it so important to you that you downplay these volunteering numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Laura Keunnsburg told you why... the science changed was the explanation.
    Of course the science hadn't changed at all. It's more a case that they realised their health system wouldn't sustain the line they'd plotted for themselves.
    The tactic of letting the virus just run through the country was completely absurd.

• Advertisement

bob mcbob wrote: »
    No what I am saying that you are advancing simplistic numbers which bear little resemblance to the reality.

So now a question for you.

Why is it so important to you that you downplay these volunteering numbers ?

It's not important at al! Just showing that this post was innacurate:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement