Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Call me Al wrote: »
    The tactic of letting the virus just run through the country was completely absurd.

You are right in it being absurd, but it was never what they said they were doing anyway so not sure why you bother mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

timhenn wrote: »
    It's not important at al! Just showing that this post was innacurate:

What's inaccurate about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Laura Keunnsburg told you why... the science changed was the explanation.
    Of course the science hadn't changed at all. It's more a case that they realised their health system wouldn't sustain the line they'd plotted for themselves.
    The tactic of letting the virus just run through the country was completely absurd.

I believe the UK government are doing their best for the country by following advice from medical experts-their advice must be good,the Irish government have mirrored their tactics almost exactly

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Trying to put a negative slant on such a selfless act by so many is a classic trolling tactic.

As is calling people subjects and discussing the nationality of the royal family.

Trolling on this thread is ok though, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

robinph wrote: »
    You are right in it being absurd, but it was never what they said they were doing anyway so not sure why you bother mentioning it.

https://fortune.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-uk-cases-herd-immunity-covid-19/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/herd-immunity-will-the-uks-coronavirus-strategy-work

Their whole initial approach was based in building to herd immunity. Which required 60% minimum of the healthier citizens getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

What's inaccurate about it?

The poster claimed that the people of the uk weren't selfish because of 400,000 volunteers. As I've shown, this is clearly not the case but no biggie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

As far as I can see it seems best to keep the economy running while not overwhelming the health service

Aegir wrote: »
    As is calling people subjects and discussing the nationality of the royal family.

Trolling on this thread is ok though, apparently

I take it you have failed to find any proof that backs up your bigotry allegation? I'm sure you will withdraw that remark then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I believe the UK government are doing their best for the country by following advice from medical experts-their advice must be good,the Irish government have mirrored their tactics almost exactly

The irish government are following WHO guidelines, almost exactly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-herd-immunity-uk-boris-johnson/608065/

And even if they were aiming for the herd immunity that you claim, it is still very different than your statement of "letting the virus just run through the country".

At no point have they said they have a policy of just ignoring it and leave it to see who comes out of it alive at the other end as you claim.

• Advertisement

The poster claimed that the people of the uk weren't selfish because of 400,000 volunteers. As I've shown, this is clearly not the case but no biggie. :)

It wasn't your claim admittedly, but you've taken to defending the statement that "the British are selfish".

Care to provide some proof of that?

It wasn't your claim admittedly, but you've taken to defending the statement that "the British are selfish".

Care to provide some proof of that?

I don't know enough british people to make that claim! It was stated by a person living in the uk and having English family.

Some were trying to claim otherwise and using the volunteers as proof. I was just showing that the opposite case can be made using the same figures. It seems to have got out of control since.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

That means 66 million people have not volunteered in the uk! That's a pretty big ratio in favour of selfish v non-selfish people!

This kind of **** is just embarrassing. For a start this scheme only involves England at the mo so take 10 million off your 66. Then remove all the children, old people, vulnerable people and those who still have to work.

400,000 people volunteering is amazing and your thinly veiled bigotry is a nonsense.

GunnerBlue wrote: »
    This kind of **** is just embarrassing. For a start this scheme only involves England at the mo so take 10 million off your 66. Then remove all the children, old people, vulnerable people and those who still have to work.

400,000 people volunteering is amazing and your thinly veiled bigotry is a nonsense.

I've already explained the comment.

Another bigotry accusation, I'm sure you'll have more proof than the other fella who's disappeared?

I don't know enough british people to make that claim! It was stated by a person living in the uk and having English family.

Some were trying to claim otherwise and using the volunteers as proof. I was just showing that the opposite case can be made using the same figures. It seems to have got out of control since.

I don't think the original poster of that claim knows enough people to make that claim either and had probably just discovered that living in a big metropolis is very different than living in even a medium sized city like Dublin, let alone anywhere else in Ireland.

I don't think the original poster of that claim knows enough people to make that claim either and had probably just discovered that living in a big metropolis is very different than living in even a medium sized city like Dublin, let alone anywhere else in Ireland.

Well, they have as much right to express their view based on their knowledge of living in the uk and having family there as anyone else who has an opposing view. They could be right you know?

I've already explained the comment.

Another bigotry accusation, I'm sure you'll have more proof than the other fella who's disappeared?

I thought you had moved to denying the British = selfish claim?

If you are just pointing out that stats can be twisted in multiple different directions then stick with that line. If on the other hand you are going with the British = selfish line then the bigotry accusation stands.

I thought you had moved to denying the British = selfish claim?

If you are just pointing out that stats can be twisted in multiple different directions then stick with that line. If on the other hand you are going with the British = selfish line then the bigotry accusation stands.

What are you talking about? Where did I move any line?

Well, they have as much right to express their view based on their knowledge of living in the uk and having family there as anyone else who has an opposing view. They could be right you know?

Find some international survey on selfishness and we can discuss it. If such a thing existed though I'd expect there to be a lengthy thread already somewhere on boards poking the British with the results.

Find some international survey on selfishness and we can discuss it. If such a thing existed though I'd expect there to be a lengthy thread already somewhere on boards poking the British with the results.

Why is this such a sore topic? The poster made a claim, neither of us know if it's true or not. Let it go!

• Advertisement

Why is this such a sore topic?

Go on, have a guess.
    The poster made a claim, neither of us know if it's true or not. Let it go!

I can point to at least 400,000 people who would dispute the claim.

Go on, have a guess.

I can point to at least 400,000 people who would dispute the claim.

It's the posters own experience, he has found people in the uk to be selfish. What is wrong with expressing that?

We've been over the numbers. They don't prove anything one way or the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

I was born there myself

Off the top of my head, I would describe them as insular rather than selfish

It's the posters own experience, he has found people in the uk to be selfish. What is wrong with expressing that?

We've been over the numbers. They don't prove anything one way or the other!

Personally, I’d find the Irish to be selfish. The me feiner attitude is very strong here.

I wouldn’t make an issue of the 4,750,000 people that did t volunteer to help the HSE though.

Personally, I’d find the Irish to be selfish. The me feiner attitude is very strong here.

I wouldn’t make an issue of the 4,750,000 people that did t volunteer to help the HSE though.

I take it you have failed to find any proof that backs up your bigotry allegation? I'm sure you will withdraw that remark then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,437 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe it's just yourself they don't like in person............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sad to see that they "hope" to keep the death toll to under 20,000 people.

I've friends there and they are genuinely terrified

Put this another way, if the UK lottery announced that there would be 20,000 £1m prizes given out in the next 4 weeks, EVERYONE would play thinking that they would have a good chance to win.

Unfortunately in this lottery, they lose.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The warnings in the main thread are equally relevant here. Now can everyone stop this "debate" about the number of people who have volunteered in the UK

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One can only wonder if Jeremy Hunt being in government would have meant a much more urgent response by the UK government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That culling/reshuffle by Johnson looks very foolish now

So many ministers completely out of their depth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement