Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Chicoso wrote: »
    Thought u had to be in the vicinity of someone for 15 minutes

Had they been debunked?

Well, think about it. How could they possible know that? 15 minutes is an arbitrary figure. Obviously the longer you spend in an enclosed space with an infected person, the higher the risk. It seems some people transmit the virus more easily than others and nobody really knows why yet.

15 minutes is also not very long at all, BTW. I was in the pharmacy longer than that, by the time they'd finished serving the person in front and they'd sorted out my stuff. You could easily be in a small shop longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well, think about it. How could they possible know that? 15 minutes is an arbitrary figure. Obviously the longer you spend in an enclosed space with an infected person, the higher the risk. It seems some people transmit the virus more easily than others and nobody really knows why yet.

15 minutes is also not very long at all, BTW. I was in the pharmacy longer than that, by the time they'd finished serving the person in front and they'd sorted out my stuff. You could easily be in a small shop longer than that.

I've been in Irish pharmacies where the pharmacist wasn't wearing a mask and came out talking to customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

I've been in Irish pharmacies where the pharmacist wasn't wearing a mask and came out talking to customers.

Hope you gave them a box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RasTa wrote: »

that's a bit racist now, that's news for the very reason that she wasn't average

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

15 minutes talking and breathing.

One coughing fit or especially one sneeze can flood the entire space with the virus 100 times faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

There's no way they make near a full term.

If there's no election by 2022 I'll eat my hat.

I would love for that to be the case but how on earth can it happen? To stay in government you merely need the confidence of the house of commons, and with an 80 seat majority the Tories have that in abundance. The best you could hope for would the same majority of Tory MPs to get rid of Boris in a vote of no confidence, but even that is extremely unlikely. He's the one who got many of them elected. Starmer could definitely beat Johnson, but he will be waiting a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm glad you find it so unbelievable.

It is unfortunately true.

The majority of people here are not wearing masks. Shopkeepers, binmen, yes even pharmacists. I had someone over to do a gas safety inspection this week and had to insist on him wearing a mask before I let him in. I'll start taking photos and posting them here for those of you who struggle to believe how stupid people here are.

Again, I call Bull in this, And yes I can call bull because I also live in England, every shop, garage, pharmacy, newsagents, supermarket etc I have been in has staff wearing masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Face masks are mandatory on public transport from Monday. In order to make it enforceable legislation and bye-laws have to be updated.

The law was changed in respect to the social bubbles yesterday.

The face coverings on transport probably should have been brought in sooner. As far as I can tell, this is still not mandatory in Ireland.

I think face coverings possibly should be made mandatory in supermarkets. I've started wearing one when I go, but most don't. It is pretty much impossible to stay 2m apart in the supermarket.

Yes I knew the delay would be a legal one but it doesn't make sense to allow people on public transport at all until they can make masks a rule.

The majority of people in our local Dunnes are not wearing masks or gloves.

During my trips there it is not busy and most people are sticking to two metres behind. Those that follow too close down an aisle always slink back in response to a disapproving look.

The problem you have to pass well within two metres of the person coming the opposite way in an aisle. Plus I see that the lads stacking the shelves don't move for customers (which they should). I haven't yet had to pass one of them but wouldn't know what to say. Young fella has to do his job too.

Most joggers and runners seem to need an education the rules. They have a right to exercise of course but I see many run right but people and who knows what "droplets" the are spreading with the panting and wheezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Again, I call Bull in this, And yes I can call bull because I also live in England, every shop, garage, pharmacy, newsagents, supermarket etc I have been in has staff wearing masks.

I agree that all those places have people wearing masks, but I would not say that it is the majority, at least where I am anyway.

I would expect that to change in the next couple of weeks as more people that use public transport will have a mask.

I agree with the poster, mask wearing is very patchy where I am and certainly not the norm. I would say 1 in 10 on average wearing them. It was probably closer to 1 in 5 during proper lockdown. Every pharmacy has been wearing masks, yes but 95% of the supermarket staff where I shop were not. Can't understand it personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Chicoso wrote: »
    Hope you gave them a box

I told them to back off. Politely.

Yes I knew the delay would be a legal one but it doesn't make sense to allow people on public transport at all until they can make masks a rule.

The majority of people in our local Dunnes are not wearing masks or gloves.

During my trips there it is not busy and most people are sticking to two metres behind. Those that follow too close down an aisle always slink back in response to a disapproving look.

The problem you have to pass well within two metres of the person coming the opposite way in an aisle. Plus I see that the lads stacking the shelves don't move for customers (which they should). I haven't yet had to pass one of them but wouldn't know what to say. Young fella has to do his job too.

Most joggers and runners seem to need an education the rules. They have a right to exercise of course but I see many run right but people and who knows what "droplets" the are spreading with the panting and wheezing.

The train companies have been very good during this - on several occasions I've seen staff questioning people about where they are going as it's still supposed to be work journeys only - no leisure. To be fair people seem to be avoiding the trains anyway - no idea about buses haven't been on one since March.

Totally agree about joggers. Posted the same in the joggers forum and they instantly thought I was trolling - the self awareness not strong there. 99% of joggers I see on leisure walks or when walking to/from walk will not attempt to slow down or get out of your way, you have to get out of their way, and they are panting all over the place like they're in a marathon. When I come across one I then have to go onto the grass and take a slightly different turn as I don't want to be following their heavy breathing in the air behind them which if they do have Corona would put me at high risk, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

fr336 wrote: »
    I would love for that to be the case but how on earth can it happen? To stay in government you merely need the confidence of the house of commons, and with an 80 seat majority the Tories have that in abundance. The best you could hope for would the same majority of Tory MPs to get rid of Boris in a vote of no confidence, but even that is extremely unlikely. He's the one who got many of them elected. Starmer could definitely beat Johnson, but he will be waiting a while.

Anythings possible. Sure it looks like a united pro brexit party behind a strong leader now but i dont see why that cant change. Can johnson keep the whiff of scandal off him? I dont think so and if he did go sometime soon, his replacement might have a job keeping a lid on whatever tensions are released in his absence. Even recently, with the agriculture bill and the commons voting bill, there were lots of tories defying the whip. The cummings debacle. A few more of those and suddenly an 80 majority doesnt seem so watertight anymore. As mentioned here before, Thatcher had a 100+ majority after '87 but that didnt help her when it came to the heave. It's all ifs, buts and maybes, but if corona doesnt finish johnson, i think something else will.

The train companies have been very good during this - on several occasions I've seen staff questioning people about where they are going as it's still supposed to be work journeys only - no leisure. To be fair people seem to be avoiding the trains anyway - no idea about buses haven't been on one since March.

Totally agree about joggers. Posted the same in the joggers forum and they instantly thought I was trolling - the self awareness not strong there. 99% of joggers I see on leisure walks or when walking to/from walk will not attempt to slow down or get out of your way, you have to get out of their way, and they are panting all over the place like they're in a marathon. When I come across one I then have to go onto the grass and take a slightly different turn as I don't want to be following their heavy breathing in the air behind them which if they do have Corona would put me at high risk, in my opinion.

In the early days of the lockdown my mother was outside her house talking to my sister in her car. My sister saw a jogger come towards them and could see from his face that he was working out whether he could get away with going right by my mother on the footpath.

My sister's response was delayed by the disbelief that this fool was actually wanting to keep on his straight line. However her youngest was on the ball - she leaned out the window and shouted "there is plenty of room to run on the road" followed by a "stay away from my Nana" as he ran around the other side.:D

In the early days of the lockdown my mother was outside her house talking to my sister in her car. My sister saw a jogger come towards them and could see from his face that he was working out whether he could get away with going right by my mother on the footpath.

My sister's response was delayed by the disbelief that this fool was actually wanting to keep on his straight line. However her youngest was on the ball - she leaned out the window and shouted "there is plenty of room to run on the road" followed by a "stay away from my Nana" as he ran around the other side.:D

I can't get over most of them. It's like cyclists who almost run you down when all the cars have stopped at a crossing. Rules or courtesy don't apply - these guys are on a "regime" lol

I can't get over most of them. It's like cyclists who almost run you down when all the cars have stopped at a crossing. Rules or courtesy don't apply - these guys are on a "regime" lol

Male joggers and runners were already pretty selfish as it was.

Now there is even more.

Women seemed the only ones who would divert when necessary.

Male joggers and runners were already pretty selfish as it was.

Now there is even more.

Woman seemed the only ones who would divert when necessary.

Yes! Of the few who did divert, all were women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fairness there's no particular reason why your mother couldn't have chosen to be the one to make way. It's presumably a public footpath and thus neither person has an inherent priority.

From the joggers point of view all he initially sees is another person standing still on the path, probably not the first such incident on his run. Sounds like he gave it a few seconds to see if there'd be a bit of co-operation from the other side, and when it wasn't forthcoming he unilaterally did the decent thing.
    I'm not sure what he has done to be labelled 'a fool'.

In fairness there's no particular reason why your mother couldn't have chosen to be the one to make way. It's presumably a public footpath and thus neither person has an inherent priority.

From the joggers point of view all he initially sees is another person standing still on the path, probably not the first such incident on his run. Sounds like he gave it a few seconds to see if there'd be a bit of co-operation from the other side, and when it wasn't forthcoming he unilaterally did the decent thing.
    I'm not sure what he has done to be labelled 'a fool'.

Let us set aside the fact that nearly the whole country had shutdown and there was a pandemic that required people to keep a distance from certain citizens.

So how about simple manners? Elderly lady on the route, do her the courtesy of not expecting her to get out of the way.

The "fool" wanted his straight run uninterrupted and shouldn't have had to be told keep his distance.

The chat is not jogging as a past time - it is about their manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Johnson scrapped a cabinet committee that was supposed to ensure they are ready to respond to a pandemic,

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1271715995531558912?s=20

This was mothballed under May, so not all the blame is on Johnson for this. But I would never trust this government with any judgement calls seeing as they just seem to make the wrong ones time and time again.

I read that story and instantly thought of another glorious leader with similarly terrible hair. And yesterday Johnson tweeted more about a statue in a single day than he did about the corona virus in the preceding 5 days and likely stoked up the thugs running riot across central london today. Seriously, the only difference between him and trump at this stage is trump has higher polling ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Enzokk wrote: »
    Johnson scrapped a cabinet committee that was supposed to ensure they are ready to respond to a pandemic,

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1271715995531558912?s=20

This was mothballed under May, so not all the blame is on Johnson for this. But I would never trust this government with any judgement calls seeing as they just seem to make the wrong ones time and time again.

To fr336 above: these are the sort of drip drip drip things that are waiting down the back of the sofa for the Tories.

They've been in power since 2010 and it's been a shítshow from the beginning. There's bound to be a load of stuff civil servants will be holding onto that will come out over the next year on top of the sheer ineptitude of the cabinet as it stands.

If you've seen "The Thick of It", there's an episode where Malcolm decides that "now is the time" to get rid of Nicola Murray as "Labour" leader.

And to do in that they find an email from 3 years previously...

This stuff is always there.

As an ex public servant, I've seen these potential bombs just sitting in inboxes all the time waiting to be unleashed if it was necessary.

Also, if you've not watched "The Thick of It" then correct this mistake post-haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I can well believe it, but any time I bring up how poor the UK education system is on Boards, I'm called a bigot and asked why don't I go home to Ireland.
    Seems to be a standard response there these days. Last time I was in a pub my hometown explaining my position on Brexit I was told to F off back to my own country.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It's more than that. Many treat an experts evidence as opinion. That their view is as valid as the doctor who has dedicated their professional lives to the subject.
    When Gove gave his anti-expert outburst back in 2016 it made me think of the last world leader who had disdain for experts and how well it ended: Chairman Mao and the Great Leap Forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PommieBast wrote: »
    Seems to be a standard response there these days. Last time I was in a pub my hometown explaining my position on Brexit I was told to F off back to my own country.

Wait a minute, you're not a pommie b***ard?

My gf lived in Wales and England from 2003-2017.

And with each passing year, especially post GFA and post EU2004, as most Irish people with experiences of England, we melted into the background as not being immigrants in the eyes of the locals shall we say.

What she has recently being coming to terms with is how her English and Welsh friends don't notice the difference and it's really annoying her and this is someone who NEVER saw her Irishness as something to accentuate while there.
    As we've discussed it, it pretty much boils down to the fact that the country that she left with no regrets in 2017 is not the one she moved to in 2003 and the idea of being associated with it now is abhorrent.

It's become a country now that has right-wing protesters doing Nazi salutes in supoort the retention of a statue of Churchill. Right?

I mean, the post Brexit Tories love to invoke the spirit of Thatcher, the force behind the single market, when it comes to leaving the EU single market.

The UK needs a hard post Covid hard Brexit and they need to suffer for it. Otherwise this insanity will just continue.
    When Gove gave his anti-expert outburst back in 2016 it made me think of the last world leader who had disdain for experts and how well it ended: Chairman Mao and the Great Leap Forward.

Imagine posting that paragraph in January 2016?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I can well believe it, but any time I bring up how poor the UK education system is on Boards, I'm called a bigot and asked why don't I go home to Ireland.

I genuinely think it's one of the worst systems in Europe and the main reason people keep electing idiots and voting for ridiculous things. I've met plenty of people who went to schools which would be considered decent by English standards who know absolutely nothing at all about Ireland or Northern Ireland. People my age (mid thirties) who have never heard of the Troubles. No knowledge at all about slavery or Britain's colonial past. No idea how many countries or which countries are in the EU. Can't use 'their', 'they're' and 'there' properly. Can't speak any foreign languages because the government decided they were useless and stopped requiring them at GCSE level. Can barely do the most basic maths (shop assistant I met this week had to get a calculator out to work out 75% of £20 and my old flatmate, in a £60K a year job, didn't understand that '1 in 5' and 20% are the same thing).

They love to look down on eastern Europeans, but your average educated Pole or Romanian would blow them out of the water. They also love to mock us Irish for being thick paddies, despite all the Irish people I know over here being very well educated and informed about history and current affairs. I think the UK is going to have a very nasty shock after Brexit. I see Boris is already begging Europeans to return and work here. Why would they?

A lot of people have a superiority complex on this thread. Professor Moriarty provided a post that shows that although Ireland ranks higher than the UK in literacy, the UK ranks higher than Ireland in numeracy and science.

In any case it is probably unnecessary willy waving we can do without.

I don't think I would suggest that you should leave the UK because you criticise the education system, but perhaps it would be good to move because it seems like you hate living in the UK from other posts I've read on this thread.

But hey, similarly people on Boards tell me that because I have wrongthink I should rip up my Irish passport and pay over two grand for a blue one. They are entitled to their opinion of course.

But we should probably be discussing the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Enzokk

A lot of people have a superiority complex on this thread. Professor Moriarty provided a post that shows that although Ireland ranks higher than the UK in literacy, the UK ranks higher than Ireland in numeracy and science.

In any case it is probably unnecessary willy waving we can do without.

I don't think I would suggest that you should leave the UK because you criticise the education system, but perhaps it would be good to move because it seems like you hate living in the UK from other posts I've read on this thread.

But hey, similarly people on Boards tell me that because I have wrongthink I should rip up my Irish passport and pay over two grand for a blue one. They are entitled to their opinion of course.

But we should probably be discussing the virus?

You are right, we should be discussing the virus and the UK response to it. Having seen the protests last weekend and telling us how terrible it was that those BLM protesters weren't keeping social distancing and how this was worse than anything Cummings did, any thoughts on the events yesterday?

'Just listening to Rishi Sunak on marr. Something quite impressive about him, but it definitely helps when the comparitive bar is being set by the likes of Johnson and Hancock. Looks like they're definitely going with 1m but was pretty clear that it wont ultimately be on the scientists but on ministers taking the decisions. He did also say "we've suppressed the virus" which was a pretty absurd claim to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Enzokk wrote: »
    You are right, we should be discussing the virus and the UK response to it. Having seen the protests last weekend and telling us how terrible it was that those BLM protesters weren't keeping social distancing and how this was worse than anything Cummings did, any thoughts on the events yesterday?

The protests yesterday were also disgraceful.
    'Just listening to Rishi Sunak on marr. Something quite impressive about him, but it definitely helps when the comparitive bar is being set by the likes of Johnson and Hancock. Looks like they're definitely going with 1m but was pretty clear that it wont ultimately be on the scientists but on ministers taking the decisions. He did also say "we've suppressed the virus" which was a pretty absurd claim to make.

It is pretty obvious that the UK has made a lot of progress. We're at pre-lockdown levels of daily cases. So easing carefully is sensible. If the evidence suggests that 1m distancing can be safe with face coverings that should be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The protests yesterday were also disgraceful.

It is pretty obvious that the UK has made a lot of progress. We're at pre-lockdown levels of daily cases. So easing carefully is sensible. If the evidence suggests that 1m distancing can be safe with face coverings that should be considered.

Which evidence are you going to base it on though? Clearly you cannot believe the government. They have been caught in so many lies at this stage.

The scientists that were involved have shown themselves to be very open to political persuasion, failing to call out clear breaches, failing to offer counter arguments when faced with clear wrong statements.

So what can you believe? We were all told that the government were following the science when they delayed lockdown. We now see the biggest death toll in Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement