Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

splinter65 wrote: »
    Anyone who laughs at the news of any other human contracting a deadly disease is a poor, sick minded freak. “It is a funny twist”? Are you mentally ill?!?

"deadly disease" haha. For boris? Mild symptoms? Have you listened to the man at all, or read any of the news of the virus? He will be graaaaaaaaand.

EDIT: And yes, i still find it a funny twist. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Testing in itself has no therapeutic benefits - no diagnostic procedure does.

But that doesn't mean they are useless. As you point out, it's useful on an epemiological level for mapping the progress of the disease, identifying clusters, detecting vectors of transmission, etc. This is vital in the effort to combat the the disease, and all the more successful strategies have involved large amounts of testing.

On the individual level, the sooner you know you're infected the sooner you can enter the degree of quarantine that will prevent transmission, and the earlier you can get on with the contact tracing that will (hopefull) prevent further transmission of the disease through people you may already have infected. You should care about this because the people who are most at risk here include people who are close to you.

In due course, as more effective treatments for CV19 are developed, testing will lead to therapeutic benefits, since it will be the gateway to CV19-specific treatments. This isn't a factor just yet, as there are currently no established CV19-specific treatments.

Good answer but why are you answering as if noone here is going to die of the virus?

You could have minutes to get put on a ventilator or you could die, if you're not diagnosed and the hospital has filled up with coronavirus patients you're **** out of luck.

It's very bad form to be giving false and potentially dangerous advice to people, not you but the other guy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll "enlighten you" across the ****ing face if you don't shut up.

If you want to ask me or someone else something ask politely and stop giving stupid and dangerous advice.

People who have the corona virus have to be properly diagnosed for both themselves to get the proper treatment and for others.

How anyone could still be this clueless and dumb is beyond me.

Lovely.

Now what is the proper treatment for Covid19?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Good answer but why are you answering as if noone here is going to die of the virus?

You could have minutes to get put on a ventilator or you could die, if you're not diagnosed and the hospital has filled up with coronavirus patients you're **** out of luck.

It's very bad form to be giving false and potentially dangerous advice to people, not you but the other guy.

What is dangerous advice?

I've not given any advice.

I've just asked what is the benefit in having a test result for the individual, and nobody has an answer other than they would like to know if they have Covid19 or not. There isn't a medical reason for knowing, unless you are working in the health service and the test shows you don't have it so can go back to work, or that you have had it so can go back to work once you recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Diagnosis will not stop people dying of the virus.

Nor, I think, will it secure them priority access to a ventilator. You need a ventilator if you are in respiratory failure, but respiratory failure is easily diagnosed on its own; you don't need to know the underlying condition that is causing it.

And, while we will likely get to the point of having to prioritise some patients over others for the limited supply of ventilators, I'm not aware of any practice in other countries, or any proposal here, to prioritise people who are in respiratory failure because of diagnosed CV19 over people who are in respiratory failure because of other conditions, or because of unknown conditions. It's the severity of your respiratory failure that matters, not the particular condition which has caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

robinph wrote: »
    OK, using multiple definitions of treatment cause confusion. I'll give you that. But there isn't a vaccine or cure other than some people get better and some people don't. As far as I'm aware treatment consists of keeping them alive until their immune system can handle it itself.

But if someone is in hospital and has a lung infection and needs to go on a ventilator then what do they do? Wait until they have a test for Covid19 before putting them on a ventilator?
    Or do they just stick them on a ventilator?
    Do you not get a ventilator unless you have Covid 19?

Actually it is important. You don't want someone suffering some other respiratory disease in the same area as those suffering with Corona.

Testing is also important to see where the clusters are and to make sure vulnerable people are protected. I think UK were under prepared with the testing kits and that shows. There is a well known example of Vo in Italy and their infection controls managing to eradicate Corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robinph wrote: »
    What is dangerous advice?

I've not given any advice.

I've just asked what is the benefit in having a test result for the individual, and nobody has an answer other than they would like to know if they have Covid19 or not. There isn't a medical reason for knowing, unless you are working in the health service and the test shows you don't have it so can go back to work, or that you have had it so can go back to work once you recover.
    There are several medical reasons for knowing, and I have already outlined them. There is (currently) no therapeutic reason for knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

robinph just sit down and shut up. I'm not your teacher.

My only advice to you is don't put down stuff you make up in your own head as medical advice.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually it is important. You don't want someone suffering some other respiratory disease in the same area as those suffering with Corona.

Yes, and they are testing people in the UK who are at that stage.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Diagnosis will not stop people dying of the virus.

Nor, I think, will it secure them priority access to a ventilator. You need a ventilator if you are in respiratory failure, but respiratory failure is easily diagnosed on its own; you don't need to know the underlying condition that is causing it.

And, while we will likely get to the point of having to prioritise some patients over others for the limited supply of ventilators, I'm not aware of any practice in other countries, or any proposal here, to prioritise people who are in respiratory failure because of diagnosed CV19 over people who are in respiratory failure because of other conditions, or because of unknown conditions. It's the severity of your respiratory failure that matters, not the particular condition which has caused it.

I know Slovenia leaves patients suffering suspected Covid in separate area from confirmed cases until they get confirmation. They also test a lot more (among highest in Europe) and at the moment trend is completely different to that in Italy, despite bordering on NE Italy and despite usially huge traffic between countries.

robinph just sit down and shut up. I'm not your teacher.

My only advice to you is don't put down stuff you make up in your own head as medical advice.

What medical advice?
    I've made no suggestions regarding medical advice, are you maybe getting mixed up with someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

"deadly disease" haha. For boris? Mild symptoms? Have you listened to the man at all, or read any of the news of the virus? He will be graaaaaaaaand.

EDIT: And yes, i still find it a funny twist. :pac:

Just an attempt to make Boris into a victim rather than the architect of his own misfortune.

Just an attempt to make Boris into a victim rather than the architect of his own misfortune.

He is not an architect of his own misfortune. It's just as possible more careful politicians will catch it. As I said I find the whole thing ironic but I don't think he caught it because he was particularly dismissive. Ciara Kelly had videos about hand washing, what to do and she also got it (different kind of irony).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Nobody should be gloating about Johnson picking up the virus, even if only a mild dose.

But he should absolutely be held up as an example of not treating it with the seriousness it deserves, stupidly having himself pictured shaking hands with suspected patients as if he was some fearless leader facing down their foe. Thats not hindsight, that was at least a week after several countries had advised against bodily contact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

The uk government, headed by Johnson, had a strategy of letting people die in order to save the economy. He didn't have much sympathy for those that he was sending to their deaths, why should much sympathy be shown towards him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Schadenfreude is such an unattractive trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,438 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Schadenfreude is such an unattractive trait.

Hardly schadenfreude when he has no apparent symptoms now is it? He has to stay in his plush house for a week. I think he'll be ok. If he was face down on a hospital trolley and struggling to breathe then you might have a point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hardly schadenfreude when he has no apparent symptoms now is it? He has to stay in his plush house for a week. I think he'll be ok. If he was face down on a hospital trolley and struggling to breathe then you might have a point.

He has an illness which has the potential to make him very ill. He also knows that he has probably endangered family and friends, not least his pregnant partner. To think that is a good thing, or deserved, is schadenfreude.

• Advertisement

timhenn wrote: »
    The uk government, headed by Johnson, had a strategy of letting people die in order to save the economy. He didn't have much sympathy for those that he was sending to their deaths, why should much sympathy be shown towards him?

They never had that strategy though. Just one of the many myths that seem to be spread around on boards and sooner or later get taken as fact.

It was obvious that sooner or later, people’s true colors would come out and I guess Boris getting this is the obvious catalyst.

He has an illness which has the potential to make him very ill. He also knows that he has probably endangered family and friends, not least his pregnant partner. To think that is a good thing, or deserved, is schadenfreude.

Having little sympathy is a very different thing.

Having little sympathy is a very different thing.

It's a different thing.

Aegir wrote: »
    They never had that strategy though. Just one of the many myths that seem to be spread around on boards and sooner or later get taken as fact.

It was obvious that sooner or later, people’s true colors would come out and I guess Boris getting this is the obvious catalyst.

Are you going to go round making bigotry allegations again?

It was their strategy, they wanted to save the economy and if that meant letting people die, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Over 100,000 tested and more new hospitals to battle the effects of the virus-I don't particularly like Johnson but he's certainly brought the country together and is showing true leadership from the front despite having contracted the virus....respect to him.

It's a different thing.

A very different thing.

A very different thing.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

A very different thing.

A bit of bad news brings all the trolls out-you should get back under your bridge tim.

Are you going to go round making bigotry allegations again?

It was their strategy, they wanted to save the economy and if that meant letting people die, so be it.

If the cap fits.

There was no such policy, other than in the heads of boards posters.

• Advertisement

Nope.
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    A bit of bad news brings all the trolls out-you should get back under your bridge tim.

Grow up. This is a serious matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement