Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

So we should ignore the handful of isolated places that are breaking regulations; but we should embrace the handful of isolated places you come up with to make your point?

Cmon!

This is all on top of the mess that the UK have been making of this from day one. Mon.

No. If you read my posts you'll see that's not what I'm saying.

In fact in the vast majority of the post you quoted from I said the following:
    It is possible to ensure people distance. Table bookings should be mandatory. People shouldn't be allowed to stand. When the place is full they should turn people away.

There is no way contact tracing registration could be done with people standing in the street. If that can't be done, the pub should be closed.

Pubs should do what the guidance suggests or close. That was the vast point of the post you quoted.

How is that objectionable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Is there any explanation for a "family office focused on broad investment trading" is the go to guys for a £250m contract to purchase masks?

https://twitter.com/juniordrblog/status/1280018951116853251?s=20

There has been some shocking contracts awarded for a lot of money during this crises. There is Andrew Mills that is an advisor for Liz Truss who is involved it seems with this company who received a contract for the masks. I wonder what the link is between financial advice and face masks?

Then another contract was awarded to an employment agency, worth £18.5m. Again, what is the link between looking for employees and face masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

Enzokk wrote: »
    There has been some shocking contracts awarded for a lot of money during this crises.
    Conservative Crony Capitalism. Is anyone really surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You best bring that up in the Ireland thread then Rob.

Funny though, my isolated incident in my local in Inchicore this weekend balances out the chaos on Dame Lane in the city centre. That's how this works, right?

I beg to differ, NI has controlled the virus admirably,it would be disastrous if these irresponsible idiots in Dublin carried the virus there so it is relevant on the UK covid thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I beg to differ, NI has controlled the virus admirably,it would be disastrous if these irresponsible idiots in Dublin carried the virus there so it is relevant on the UK covid thread.

I'm sure they'll all be straight up to the The Glens of Antrim tomorrow.

You're a gas man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I'm sure they'll all be straight up to the The Glens of Antrim tomorrow.

You're a gas man.

Flippant remarks when presented with a valid point you can't dispute is just grand bonnie.
    Well done.

You know what you do when you screwed and caused many extra deaths? You blame the people that were dealing with the crises that you compounded with your incompetence.

Fury as Boris Johnson accuses care homes over high Covid-19 death toll
    Care leaders, unions and MPs have rounded on Boris Johnson after he accused care homes of failing to follow proper procedures amid the coronavirus crisis, saying the prime minister appeared to be shifting the blame for the high death toll.

Speaking during a visit to Goole in Yorkshire, Johnson said the pandemic had shown the need to “make sure we look after people better who are in social care”.

He went on: “We discovered too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures in the way that they could have but we’re learning lessons the whole time. Most important is to fund them properly ... but we will also be looking at ways to make sure the care sector long term is properly organised and supported.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You know what you do when you screwed and caused many extra deaths? You blame the people that were dealing with the crises that you compounded with your incompetence.

He's playing to the aging Tory base. Pensioners worried about coronavirus and social care. Johnson blames care homes for coronavirus clusterfúck and promises improved social care for the elderly. Classic Cummings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mail and telegraph have been hammering away relentlessly at the government on the care homes debacle from the start. Cant predict how much long term damage it might do, but no way in hell this doesnt play badly for them. Social care tripped them up in 2017 and think they have even less of a clue how to deal with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Flippant remarks when presented with a valid point you can't dispute is just grand bonnie.
    Well done.

I dunno Rob. I guess I don't really take seriously comments from a British person about putting up some sort of border in my country. Ya know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Mail and telegraph have been hammering away relentlessly at the government on the care homes debacle from the start. Cant predict how much long term damage it might do, but no way in hell this doesnt play badly for them. Social care tripped them up in 2017 and think they have even less of a clue how to deal with it now.
    It says a lot when the likes of Jeremy Clarkson are considering voting Labour..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/jeremy-clarkson-i-might-vote-for-keir-starmer-zftbxkn3r

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Really not at all surprised at this. For all the positives of social media, it can do an awful lot of damage.
    The findings come amid a significant rise in anti-vaccination sentiment on social media, and represent a threat to efforts to contain the disease.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/07/almost-one-in-six-britons-say-would-refuse-covid-19-vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

is_that_so wrote: »
    Really not at all surprised at this. For all the positives of social media, it can do an awful lot of damage.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/07/almost-one-in-six-britons-say-would-refuse-covid-19-vaccine

No vaccine, no treatment. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The press release from Downing Street is just more spin and lies as well.
    “Throughout this crisis, care homes have done a brilliant job under very difficult circumstances,” a spokesperson said.

“The PM was pointing out that nobody knew what the correct procedures were because the extent of asymptomatic transmission was not known at the time.”

Sharma is a weasel as well. Whatever you think about Kay Burley, she does at least push them for an answer, but like the press release they are trying to defend something that Boris didn't actually say. What he said was much more scathing and finger pointing towards care homes.

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1280407210422685697

is_that_so wrote: »

It is an interesting one, as I am in no way an anti-vaxxer (have all my shots thanks very much), but I would definitely have reservations about a vaccine rushed through in record time.

Would it stop me getting it? No, of course not, but if you had anti-vaccine tendencies in the first place, I doubt you would be chomping at the bit to get this one.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    The press release from Downing Street is just more spin and lies as well.

Sharma is a weasel as well. Whatever you think about Kay Burley, she does at least push them for an answer, but like the press release they are trying to defend something that Boris didn't actually say. What he said was much more scathing and finger pointing towards care homes.

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1280407210422685697

I don't think they know that in their rush to explain away what Johnson said, they are making it worse for themselves. This is in the context that Johnson never apologises for anything. So they are trying to find the balance on not blaming care homes/workers and defending what he seems to have said. They are now saying nobody knew the correct procedures, except everyone knew. It wasn't the procedures but the lack of PPE and their choice to protect the NHS at the cost of the care home sector.

I expect this to carry on for a few days still. Someone will be thrown under a bus because Johnson made his idiotic mutterings, it just depends where it will land. He tried to pin it on care homes and now it is seemingly PHE who set the procedures. But why did other countries react so much better? They didn't have extra knowledge that made it easier for them.

The facts of their incompetence will always come back to hit them square in the face.

I don't think they know that in their rush to explain away what Johnson said, they are making it worse for themselves. This is in the context that Johnson never apologises for anything. So they are trying to find the balance on not blaming care homes/workers and defending what he seems to have said. They are now saying nobody knew the correct procedures, except everyone knew. It wasn't the procedures but the lack of PPE and their choice to protect the NHS at the cost of the care home sector.

I expect this to carry on for a few days still. Someone will be thrown under a bus because Johnson made his idiotic mutterings, it just depends where it will land. He tried to pin it on care homes and now it is seemingly PHE who set the procedures. But why did other countries react so much better? They didn't have extra knowledge that made it easier for them.

The facts of their incompetence will always come back to hit them square in the face.

Yes, I agree. There are echos of the Cummings affair around this as well, due to their inability to eat a slice of humble pie.

An apology and some further clarification on what he actually meant to say would have seen it disappear quicker. Instead they are making a rod for their own back, one which I expect Starmer to use at PMQs tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ultimately they do need to look 'at ways to make sure the care sector long term is properly organised and supported' as there are fundamental issues with the system which means it was always going to struggle. It's just a shocking way to make that point as it just looks like they are pointing fingers and now partially back tracking without apologising.

Also, the government themselves are responsible to a certain extent for ensuring the sector is properly regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's just a shocking way to make that point as it just looks like they are pointing fingers and now partially back tracking without apologising.

They are pointing fingers.
    This is essentially what they have been doing all along. Admit nothing and deflect blame elsewhere, but, as has been pointed out by rushing to spin away the fallout, they are making things worse as you see in the interview with Burley. Boris's main problem is he likes the idea of being Prime Minister, but is actually out of his depth at being prime minister. With this in mind I would not be surprised if his term as prime minister is not a long one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I expect this to carry on for a few days still. Someone will be thrown under a bus...

At some point in the next couple of weeks they have an alternative distraction to throwing people under busses as they will have a Monday stat of zero deaths to proclaim as a handful get shuffled across to the Tuesday numbers instead and the following week can be full of headlines about how it's all over.

If they are not trying to distract us from something that happened the week before, keep your eyes peeled for whatever it is that they then try to hide on the Tuesday.

• Advertisement

INDEPENDENT SAGE – ON ACHIEVING A ZERO COVID UK, I.E. THE ELIMINATION OF THE VIRUS FROM THE UK

Independent SAGE believes that the UK government must fundamentally change its approach and we propose a new overarching strategic objective of achieving a Zero COVID UK, i.e. the elimination of the virus from the UK. We believe this should be informed by science and debated in public, and a proper coordinated strategy for its achievement developed with the public.

KEY POINTS

● The prospect of many thousands of further deaths from COVID-19 over the next nine months is unacceptable
    ● The UK government must propose and share with the public a strategic plan on how the pandemic is going to be managed in the next 12 months and of how the various measures against the pandemic fit together in an integrated plan.
    ● Independent SAGE believes that this strategy should have as its prime objective the achievement of a Zero COVID Britain and Ireland
    ● It will require the government in Whitehall to replace their failing NHS Test and Trace System with a fully-fledged and locally controlled system of Find, Test, Trace, Isolate, Support (FTTIS)
    ● The Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Northern Ireland already have very few deaths and very small numbers of new positive cases. They have the virus under control and are well placed to achieve elimination of the virus
    ● England and Wales will need to make the necessary efforts as soon as possible to achieve the same position
    ● Achieving elimination would allow all social distancing measures to be lifted, schools to be fully open, the hospitality and entertainment industries to reopen fully, revitalisation of the economy and a sense of much needed normality for the population.
    This is more along the lines of what I've been wanting the Government to commit to as opposed to the current state where everyone appears to accept the current levels of infection.

Downing St wrote:
    The PM was pointing out that nobody knew what the correct procedures were
    He certainly was not. What he said was:
    We discovered too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures
    As always, Parody Boris Johnson has a tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

S.M.B. wrote: »
    This is more along the lines of what I've been wanting the Government to commit to as opposed to the current state where everyone appears to accept the current levels of infection.

Whitty has previously implied that the government see the current level of infections and deaths as being acceptable. Would definitely like to see a roll back of some aspects of the release of restrictions, and a push to get the infections down. I just dont think the British public will go for it

I just dont think the British public will go for it
    Cummings and Johnson Sr. have made this much harder. "Will I hell obey your rules when you won't obey them yourselves", kinda thing.

Whitty has previously implied that the government see the current level of infections and deaths as being acceptable. Would definitely like to see a roll back of some aspects of the release of restrictions, and a push to get the infections down. I just dont think the British public will go for it
    Whitty, Harries and others...

And the attitude of those in power hasn't helped getting the British public on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

You say this as if the rate of infections is staying flat and not continuing to decline.

However, they have done and continue to do so. Unless one means that the rate of decline is too slow, which is a fair argument, but there is a trade off with the other damage that that would cause.

I think the trade off from the current standpoint strikes a good balance.

By the by, I'm hoping we'll see a decent study come out on what elements of the lockdown measures actually worked to drive down transmission and what elements were unnecessary. The lockdown is only a measure that we apply when we don't know what actually works. It'd be great to learn what worked and what didn't and use those tools to continue to control the virus in a less extreme way going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Predictably the reopening of pubs has resulted in the closing of some pubs due to Covid 19, probably see the same in Dublin centre esp assuming anyone can join the dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Labour to win any future GE @3.25, after this Boris/Cummings fiasco (and perhaps worse yet to come before le brexit official)

At least they have a more likeable and competent leader, Jeremy was far too stale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement